PDA

View Full Version : TWO stolen boats from So Cal, more to follow

BoatPI
08-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Check our site at Boatman.com. A 23' Commander and 1998 Ultra (21'). I will post Ultra details monday. Add to that the stolen hot rod with blower moter (see Hot Spots). Stolen from Sun Country Marine.
The last Commander had the 496 and B1 removed, dumped in Pomona. Anyone know a crook that drives a white Toyota Tundra extra cab truck. Call/mail us.
eek! A witness saw two guys drop the boat sans motor three weeks ago. I figure they have a boat in need. Large reward for motor recovery.
Thanks, Keith

Boatcop
08-11-2002, 07:31 PM
Keith,
I take it Todd is going to shoot the flyer my way, as usual. We'll be keeping our eyes out.
BTW, I got your message, but unfortunately have plans (mostly work) for the times you'll be in town.
I will take a rain check, though.

Elsinore Cop
08-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Keep the flyers coming to Lake Elsinore. We're looking.

Rexone
08-14-2002, 05:29 PM
If anyone's got flyers with pics of these boats we'd be happy to post them in our store, who know who might recognize something? might have to set up a page on our site also for that if there's a need.

BoatPI
08-14-2002, 05:56 PM
The Ultra was taken 10 days ago from Whittier.
1997 Ultra 21 LX, CF 0509 NZ, white hul with a blue and yellow stripe, 5.7 carb with high rise and through transom exhaust. ATTACHED to a 2002
ford Excursion, White, 4XTD792. On a Hensley trailer, Cal. license 1HJ1563. Boat has been to Havasu in past. Recently at Quality Marine fiberglass repair in Riverside... Anyone see it there???
Call 800/325/8061 or go to Boatman.com.
Thanks. ATTACHED :confused:

Boatcop
08-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Mike,
I sent a message to you through the Rex Marine Web-site (sales@). If you don't get it, let me know.

C-Ya
08-14-2002, 08:53 PM
BoatPI,
When a boat gets stolen, do you check to see if it has been listed in any of the boat rags for sale? Insurance generally pays better than what most people would get for their boats on the open market! How many owners would you say are involved in the theft of their own boats?
Several years ago I was trying to sell a car for about $10,000 dollars and had it in a vacant lot with a sign on it. Yes, it got stolen! (no involvement from me) My biggest surprise was when the insurance company sent me a check for $14,500 even when they knew that I was trying to sell it for less.
I am sure that many of the owners of these stolen boats have figured out that you can take the hassle out of trying to sell it, when the insurance company is the best buyer you can find. Especially when the owner is upside down in his equity. Check or Pay-Off in less than thirty days!
It would appear to me that if a boat has been listed for sale for sometime, and then miraculously gets stolen, I would be willing to bet that the owner had something to do with it!
Just an observation!

Boatcop
08-14-2002, 09:09 PM
C-Ya,
Insurance fraud is the main reason your boat isnurance is so high, I won't give details (Neither will Keith) on the methods used, but all it takes is a lay-off, work slowdown, or failure of your dot-com, Martha Stewart, or Enron investment, and those $750 dollar boat payments get further from the top of your monthly payment priority.
Nationwide, probably 40-50% of boat "thefts", sinkings, fires, and other casualties are owner involved, purposeful events, to get out from boat payments, usually when the amount owed is more than the value.
More often than not, they get caught in their scheme, and not only lose the boat, but are still liable for the payments, AND get to be room-mates with affection starved Bubba for 3-5 years.
It's people like that that keep people like BoatPI and me employed.

BoatFloating
08-14-2002, 09:40 PM
BoatPI, are you saying the truck was stolen also???
BoatPI:
The Ultra was taken 10 days ago from Whittier.
1997 Ultra 21 LX, CF 0509 NZ, white hul with a blue and yellow stripe, 5.7 carb with high rise and through transom exhaust. ATTACHED to a 2002
ford Excursion, White, 4XTD792. On a Hensley trailer, Cal. license 1HJ1563. Boat has been to Havasu in past. Recently at Quality Marine fiberglass repair in Riverside... Anyone see it there???
Call 800/325/8061 or go to Boatman.com.
Thanks. ATTACHED :confused:

BoatPI
08-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes, the owners 2002 Ford Excursion, White in color was taken. It was attached to the Ultra.
Recently I was invloved in a second referal the year to law enforcement.
And for the second time this year an individual involved with a claim was arrested and prosecuted for insurance fraud.
And rates are effected by claims combined with many other factors. Several companies have ceased renewing and writing tunnel hulls.
Be safe and watch your stuff. LoJack is available for boats, along with many locking systems. A padlock through the locking hasp DOES NOT CUT IT!
[ August 15, 2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: BoatPI ]

HM
08-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Boatcop:
C-Ya,
Insurance fraud is the main reason your boat isnurance is so high, I won't give details (Neither will Keith) on the methods used, but all it takes is a lay-off, work slowdown, or failure of your dot-com, Martha Stewart, or Enron investment, and those $750 dollar boat payments get further from the top of your monthly payment priority.
Nationwide, probably 40-50% of boat "thefts", sinkings, fires, and other casualties are owner involved, purposeful events, to get out from boat payments, usually when the amount owed is more than the value.
More often than not, they get caught in their scheme, and not only lose the boat, but are still liable for the payments, AND get to be room-mates with affection starved Bubba for 3-5 years.
It's people like that that keep people like BoatPI and me employed.In a recent Hot Boat article, they said of insured "hot boats" 8 out of 10, the owner is involved. Most of us guys with boats hate to hear they are stolen, so we keep an eye out for them and are quick to respond with any info, because we would like that to happen if our boats are stolen. The guys who decide to commit a little(or lot) insurance fraud don't quite realize how many eyes are looking for their boat. We don't know that he actually doen't want his boat to be found!

BoatPI
08-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Let me provide an example as to how your eyes need to look closely.
In early 2000 a 1999 Fountain was stolen from Temecula. The crooks changed to hull id number and registered the boat in one of their names (CA). On Memorial day weekend they were at the sandbar. Remember a white Fountain, NO stripes. With strippers aboard.
Yeah, that boat had a $5,000 bounty. No one looked closley, or thought anything of a late model Fountain being towed by a raggady old Chev pickup. They were discovered later, boat found and all are in state prison. The painted stripes were removed. ID number on trailer was missing too. No one looked, close enough.....
www.Boatman.Com
Some people call it profiling.

HM
08-15-2002, 07:26 PM
Well I printed a bunch of your flyers from your site and will definitely pay even more attention.

77charger
08-15-2002, 08:05 PM
BoatPI:
Let me provide an example as to how your eyes need to look closely.
late model Fountain being towed by a raggady old Chev pickup.
www.Boatman.Com
Some people call it profiling.what if some has all there money tied up in the boat.i guess this what they would drive.
In all seriousness a used boat is not nearly worth what they are selling for and dont find it hard to believe owners are involed 1/2 the time imo