PDA

View Full Version : Inform me

DEL51
09-10-2003, 11:59 PM
It is cool that we see customs via the states on discovery,I.E. bikes N stuff. BUT, some people resent different suff in your 28+ world. Different is not considered cool!?? Where are you? as a group. Pie plate cookie cutters that compare 15k paint schemes? Check out the non cat- v drive section for inspiration. I see nothing new or inspirational out West, Keep up with the Jones"s.Appoint another Idiot gov and let the tacos fly,liscensed, that is. This was aimed at the boring 28 foot cats I have puked over in the pages of HOT BOAT. The best
thing I have seen,old or new, is a 26ft sanger with big block power.Where is creativitiy in the 22+ft ranks?

Rexone
09-11-2003, 01:03 AM
So Del you tired of flames or what? :D

Essex502
09-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Del...some advice...step back and read your post before you click on "Add Reply".

BADAXE
09-11-2003, 07:44 AM
DEL51:
It is cool that we see customs via the states on discovery,I.E. bikes N stuff. BUT, some people resent different suff in your 28+ world. Different is not considered cool!?? Where are you? as a group. Pie plate cookie cutters that compare 15k paint schemes? Check out the non cat- v drive section for inspiration. I see nothing new or inspirational out West, Keep up with the Jones"s.Appoint another Idiot gov and let the tacos fly,liscensed, that is. This was aimed at the boring 28 foot cats I have puked over in the pages of HOT BOAT. The best
thing I have seen,old or new, is a 26ft sanger with big block power.Where is creativitiy in the 22+ft ranks? Ah..Ha...this is the scientific proof I’ve been looking for…there is a limit to how much cheese you can eat and still have a coherent thought.

1stepcloser
09-11-2003, 08:15 AM
DEL51:
thing I have seen,old or new, is a 26ft sanger with big block power.Where is creativitiy in the 22+ft ranks? :confused:
If your whining about the alleged lack of smaller boat coverage in the Mag, try making that point. wink

91nordic29
09-11-2003, 08:53 AM
me thinks he thinks (???) we have no creativity. like even our big boats are tupperware.

superdave013
09-11-2003, 09:00 AM
I think he's right for the most part. At the LA boat show all the boats have the same old same old as far as hardware goes. Dana must be doing pretty good though.
The only ones that were different were schiada and DCB. And all of the DCB's had the same hardware on all their boats but at least it was different then all the other guys.
Schiada looked to be the only one with a bunch of one off parts. But then again, the 21er that was there was sold for 140K.
As far as boat's built or re built/rigged by people out west. Well I've seen some pretty wild shit in larger boats. Sky's the limit if you ask me. Lots of creativitiy if you look for it.

1stepcloser
09-11-2003, 09:09 AM
superdave013:
As far as boat's built or re built/rigged by people out west. Well I've seen some pretty wild shit in larger boats. Sky's the limit if you ask me. Lots of creativitiy if you look for it. I agree, from what I've seen most of the Central/east coast boats look too familiar.
As far as hardware, well, you gotta go with what works, and what sells.

superdave013
09-11-2003, 09:16 AM
1stepcloser:
As far as hardware, well, you gotta go with what works, and what sells. Nope, I'm going with what I'm making myself. Very few catalog parts are being used in my deal. That's were the creativitiy part comes in. :D
LOL, I made a s.s. drain plug sleave the other day just to be different. Could have bought a brass one for only a few bucks.

1stepcloser
09-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Well sure. YOu have the time and resources to do that.
But to a production manufacturer, even a one-off, as is the case with DCB's stuff, it is still all the same on all his boats.
As an individual though, that is the mark of a true hot rodder, to have unique stuff. The kind of things that make people look all over the boat for flaws.

superdave013
09-11-2003, 09:25 AM
1stepcloser:
Well sure. YOu have the time and resources to do that.
But to a production manufacturer, even a one-off, as is the case with DCB's stuff, it is still all the same on all his boats.
As an individual though, that is the mark of a true hot rodder, to have unique stuff. The kind of things that make people look all over the boat for flaws. I think we are on the same page here.
Nothing is more fun (and rewarding) then making custom parts for guys who know what they want and don't mind paying for it.

mbrown2
09-11-2003, 10:52 AM
I would agree with Del to a certain extent that a number of boats that have come from the mold in the last couple of years have looked the same.....SO WHAT! What is so different now than 20 years ago...Southwind, Sleek, Hondo, Cole, Eliminator, etc...were not that different in color schemes, metal flake, etc..each were copied because someone liked someone else's boat...no different than now...Not everyone can afford to have their boat Gel'd white and have Vale or Billy B do some wild-ass paint job on it, and they might actually want something more subdued for resale anyway.
As for Hardware; even most Schiada's are not rolling out with one off hardware...only the custom one's do...DCB does most of their's, and continues to implement change where they see the cool factor...I would expect a couple of items I am doing that are one offs will show up on other boats because Dave will make them standard or add them as an option, just as a couple items I did came from other boats before me...
If you want truly custom parts, then just open up your wallet and start milling...anything is possible for a price...
My .02

DEL51
09-12-2003, 06:24 PM
I was wondering how you guys feel about the models shown.I agree with the DCB stuff being cutting edge.I am just venting on the similarities considering the cost.I would like to see something different. I added the political crap to get some attention.Once in a while you see something custom in the big boat group.After looking through 18 pages of awsome v-drives, many from the west coast, I was wondering why someone doesn't do something differen't.I now understand the sales angle a little better.I think if someone started out with a clean hull and customized it, that would great. Just something different.The turbo projects in the other sections are an example. How about a 28 cat with two big turbo engines and a wild paint job?

superdave013
09-12-2003, 09:36 PM
DEL51:
I was wondering how you guys feel about the models shown.I agree with the DCB stuff being cutting edge.I am just venting on the similarities considering the cost.I would like to see something different. I added the political crap to get some attention.Once in a while you see something custom in the big boat group.After looking through 18 pages of awsome v-drives, many from the west coast, I was wondering why someone doesn't do something differen't.I now understand the sales angle a little better.I think if someone started out with a clean hull and customized it, that would great. Just something different.The turbo projects in the other sections are an example. How about a 28 cat with two big turbo engines and a wild paint job? Hey bro, I'm with ya on that all the way. But it's the cost. I'm one of the guys doing a one off turbo engine that just happens to be for a v drive deal. Anyway I'm making all that stuff because the cost to buy it is so outta sight (and I wanna be different).
If you went to GT or someplace like that to get a double throw down turbo engine it would cost ya around 65-70K. Sure you can do it yourself cheeper if you have the know how.
For your 28' project you would need 2 of those. That's 140K and you have not even thought about drives. I don't know what 2 # 6 drives would cost but I bet it's over 25K with the trans.
Ok, now for a wild ass paint job. Well, Billy B gets about 7,500 to paint a 17' flatbottom so that 28'er would cost way over 10 grand I bet.
Holly shit, that's 175K and we're just getting started! Don't even have the price of the hull in there yet.
Sure a few people can drop the coin but I sure can't.
Most of those flatbottoms were owner built. They are like a custom harley as no two are the same. That's why I love them so much. A lot of v drive guys step up to a bigger boat and do a nice cat. A friend of mine did just that with an American Offshore. It's a sick boat with a big blown deal and a B max out the back. Rigging looks like it should be in a fighter jet. Just bad ass.
If you ever do your dream boat I hope you post the build up pics as I love looking at that stuff just like you do.
Just for you I'll post some pics of the engine in a 24' schiada that's in progress. I wish I would have gotten pics of the entier boat but it was all covered up.
Can't just buy this engine anyplace. It's kinda old skool due to the fact that it's not fuel injected. Love those hard lines!
Enjoy,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/924_schiada_rudys1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/924_schiada_rudys2-med.jpg

mbrown2
09-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Dave, you are right on...
Cost is the compelling factor of why you don't see one off big boats that often... For example, look at that AMT that WCRM put together...Vale Paint, rigged close to perfection, Layed out west coast style instead of how the builder does it with a center console, and lots of bling/bling like dually/nickle trailer....Well, it also listed for 217K....217K for boat that just goes north of 100 seems like a waste of money to me...I can have something just as custom for a little more than half that....but that is the cost of 1-off I guess...even $176K, what they are now selling it for seems high...
[ September 13, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

DEL51
09-13-2003, 04:27 PM
I now have a better understanding of the cost,wow. I never thought it through. I suppose the area is so much larger that the cost would triple.I saw the raceboat Drambuie on ice ,40 ft cat, and it had a cool paint job for a raceboat.The v-drive stuff just blew me away.That engine is cool. I also like the hardline. I want to use some in my fuel system. At work,today, I ran into a guy bending up stainless line for an air station. I just need to get some tube. I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your turbo engine project. Thanks to all, I am ,now, much more informed.