PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to Havasu:?

bear down
04-07-2003, 09:21 AM
What is the fastest way to Lake Havasu?
Desert Center (Rice Road) or through Blythe (Ehrenburg Exit)1st exit after Arizona Border(Agrig. Check Point)?
I have only towed through Ehrenburg because I like that if something happens to the truck or boat we are not out in the boonies? Thanks.

Ziggy
04-07-2003, 09:57 AM
The shortest/quickest route is via Rice Road but it is more isolated...never is a lack of someone driving the route so help can be gotten if nec. plus they do have roadside emergency phones.
Much of the road has just been resurfaced too so roughness is no longer an issue.
Join the train of boaters each friday eve :cool: , you'll fit right in.

BoatFloating
04-07-2003, 09:58 AM
I would say we use Blythe 95% of the time. It does seem longer getting there, but I think it's only mental since you pass Desert Center turn off and you go another 40 miles. I think Erhenberg route is by far safer and less traffic. The other great part is Flying J, the Diesel for truck was only $1.38 :D this past weekend. My vote goes for this way......

BoatFloating
04-07-2003, 10:03 AM
The distance issue is about 15 miles further going Erhenberg based on my GPS. To me well worth the the extra time.

jet4fun
04-07-2003, 12:15 PM
last time out to parker i did a mileage check each way... difference was 7 miles doorstep to doorstep... never have done an exact time check but i dont see how there could really be that much of a time difference either... IMO i think that the reason rice is so popular is because it is the old skool way to go and kinda like a secret unless someone tells you about it

04-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Southwest Airline :D

HighRoller
04-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Let me say a few quick things,coming from someone who makes a living on the road.The"shortest"way is not always the"fastest way.I would hope someday someone would come on here and ask what the"safest"way to Havasu was.After all,it doesn't matter a damn bit what the fastest way to the lake is if you get in an accident does it?I prefer to stay on the interstate as much as possible because although it may be a few miles longer I can avoid sharing the same patch of the road with those who apparently believe there's a checkered flag waiting for them in Havasu!!!And when I get there I'm relaxed,happy and not ready to beat someone's brains in because they passed me around a blind corner over a double yellow line because I wasn't going 80 in a 55!!!I'm not trying to be an ass,but it makes me sad to read about fatality accidents on Rice Road that were caused by nothing more than impatience and stupidity.Thank you.

Ziggy
04-07-2003, 03:12 PM
HighRoller:
Let me say a few quick things,coming from someone who makes a living on the road.The"shortest"way is not always the"fastest way.I would hope someday someone would come on here and ask what the"safest"way to Havasu was.After all,it doesn't matter a damn bit what the fastest way to the lake is if you get in an accident does it?I prefer to stay on the interstate as much as possible because although it may be a few miles longer I can avoid sharing the same patch of the road with those who apparently believe there's a checkered flag waiting for them in Havasu!!!And when I get there I'm relaxed,happy and not ready to beat someone's brains in because they passed me around a blind corner over a double yellow line because I wasn't going 80 in a 55!!!I'm not trying to be an ass,but it makes me sad to read about fatality accidents on Rice Road that were caused by nothing more than impatience and stupidity.Thank you. Ditto on the Safest regard, and sometimes Rice isn't.....but that is caused by impatience rather than the road itself. I feel a little dumb at times when I'm cruising along with no trailer and some bozo blows by me with a 30' boat trailer hooked to a mini-truck at 75-80, but I'd rather feel a little dumb than numb.
Its pretty stupid when you think that getting there at midnight vs. 12:30am makes any kinda difference for the next days boating, Lakes not going anywhere so why the hurry.
My preference is Rice because it means I won't have to do much throttle movement, no stops along the way.
Each person will have their own preference for various reasons, and it doesn't mean anyone's in particular is right/wrong.....So BEAR DOWN , choose your path to what you are comfortable with and being that you are in Fontana you might consider going I15/I40 past Needles and take the AZ95 south into Havasu, all interstate driving except the last few miles down the 95.
my $.05

silver surfer
04-07-2003, 07:09 PM
We have driven Desert Center, Blythe, Quartzsite,the 15-40 route through Needles,and added 29 Palms to the list last weekend. They all seem to take about the same time, but Quartzsite, in my opinion, seems to be the easiest when towing.

bear down
04-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Ziggy:
HighRoller:
Let me say a few quick things,coming from someone who makes a living on the road.The"shortest"way is not always the"fastest way.I would hope someday someone would come on here and ask what the"safest"way to Havasu was.After all,it doesn't matter a damn bit what the fastest way to the lake is if you get in an accident does it?I prefer to stay on the interstate as much as possible because although it may be a few miles longer I can avoid sharing the same patch of the road with those who apparently believe there's a checkered flag waiting for them in Havasu!!!And when I get there I'm relaxed,happy and not ready to beat someone's brains in because they passed me around a blind corner over a double yellow line because I wasn't going 80 in a 55!!!I'm not trying to be an ass,but it makes me sad to read about fatality accidents on Rice Road that were caused by nothing more than impatience and stupidity.Thank you. Ditto on the Safest regard, and sometimes Rice isn't.....but that is caused by impatience rather than the road itself. I feel a little dumb at times when I'm cruising along with no trailer and some bozo blows by me with a 30' boat trailer hooked to a mini-truck at 75-80, but I'd rather feel a little dumb than numb.
Its pretty stupid when you think that getting there at midnight vs. 12:30am makes any kinda difference for the next days boating, Lakes not going anywhere so why the hurry.
My preference is Rice because it means I won't have to do much throttle movement, no stops along the way.
Each person will have their own preference for various reasons, and it doesn't mean anyone's in particular is right/wrong.....So BEAR DOWN , choose your path to what you are comfortable with and being that you are in Fontana you might consider going I15/I40 past Needles and take the AZ95 south into Havasu, all interstate driving except the last few miles down the 95.
my $.05 Ziggy you make a Great Point! Safety first. I am a cautious driver and I agree saving 30-45 min. it's not worth the headache to speed through the trip. As I mentioned before, I felt more comfortable taking the Ehrenburg exit because in case something mechanical did happen I was able to walk to a location which was not in the middle of nowhere. The only reason I don't like the I-15/40 route is because all of the construction and lane closures.

RiverToysJas
04-07-2003, 08:47 PM
For Havasu I personally, I like 15/40. Barstow at night is a crazy place though!!! Found a guy standing on my trailer, looking into the boat last time through!!!
For Parker I'll only tow 10/Ehrenburg. It like 10-15 minutes slower than Rice, but less headache and tons safer all of the way around.
RTJas :D

Boatcop
04-08-2003, 05:28 AM
Travel Warning for the Ehrenberg-Parker route!
The Colorado River Indian Tribes have enacted their own civil traffic code. (They need to make up for the $25 million they spent on a failed Indian Gaming Resolution.)
Instead of writing tickets to appear (or pay) into the County Justice Court, they are now writing them to appear in their own Tribal Court. They are all over the Road through the Valley like JDAMS over Baghdad.
So while you may have seen few police on the Res down there before, and are used to cruising at 70+, you'll see a whole bunch more from now on. The speed limit is 55, and they are enforcing it religiously. (To them, money IS religion)
As always it's 35 MPH the 3 miles through Ehrenberg itself, and our guys have always been pretty stringent on that.
[ April 08, 2003, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Mandelon
04-08-2003, 05:39 AM
Are they using radar or just visual?

THOR
04-08-2003, 06:03 AM
I second what RTJas said. I-15 to I-40 to havasu, but Ehrenberg for Parker.

beached 1
04-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Boatcop's right. The CRIT police are cracking down. The best way is still through rice road. At least you know you have some rights when you get pulled over out there.

C-2
04-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the CRIT route. I too prefer that route, but really wouldn't want to rely on or test the tribal court system of justice.
Guess it's back to Rice road (and yes, that's me in front of you towing at 55...keep honking and flashing, I'm not going any faster :mad: :D :D ).

Hallett19
04-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Well, for me coming from pasadena, now that the 210 is finished and goes all the way to the 15 that took almost 45 min w/o traffic off my trips to havasu and vegas !!!!!! :D YESSS!!!!! Finallllyyyy!!! And I can make a pit stop at Rex Marine if I need on my way :)

SCUBA STEVE
04-15-2003, 10:04 AM
when I go down rice road, most of the time I am the only one on the road, no matter what time of day or night it is. If and when I do get passed, once the other drive is in the passing lane I just lay off the gas, so they can pass me faster.
When I pass others, usually a big rig, I always make sure its on one of the long stretches of straight road. I have seen more accidents on the 40 & the 15 then you can imagine. Everyone is in a hurry on those highways.

LaveyJet
04-15-2003, 02:36 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
when I do get passed, once the other drive is in the passing lane I just lay off the gas, so they can pass me faster. Well, I’ll give you five for that one, too many people are in too much of a hurry. Most Southern Californians don’t do too much driving on two lane highways. It’s easy to use poor judgment when they do, it’s just lack of experience (practice). If you’re following a big rig at 60 mph, how long does it take you to pull out and pass? 15 seconds? That’s a quarter mile. Try it on the freeway sometime. (Where it’s safe?) When you’re on a two lane highway, and someone’s coming the other way at 60 you’ll need at least half a mile. I guess my point is that people don’t realize what it takes to pass and mistakes can be real costly on two lane roads.

PussyPusher
04-15-2003, 02:47 PM
if you want to take your boat try driving. If you dont need to take the boat try flying.

mbrown2
04-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Fastest way to Havasu is not to leave. :)

C-2
04-15-2003, 03:24 PM
BoatFloating:
I would say we use Blythe 95% of the time. It does seem longer getting there, but I think it's only mental since you pass Desert Center turn off and you go another 40 miles. I think Erhenberg route is by far safer and less traffic. The other great part is Flying J, the Diesel for truck was only $1.38 :D this past weekend. My vote goes for this way...... Hey Boatfloating
The Sundance Channel on satellite has this killer program on old school dj's and scratching named "Scratch". Pretty cool to watch.
I see the 1200 in your avatar and it always reminds me of back in da' day.

sorry dog
04-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Good god... It's a road man. A public road.
How far are we going to take this "safety" thing?
Perhaps you would be more comfortable staying in bed all day becuase you might trip over a shoe lace. You tell'em Dave.
--Sorry "speedin" Dog
[ April 17, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: sorry dog ]