PDA

View Full Version : Re-do old trailer or buy new?

Outnumbered
08-26-2002, 06:22 PM
My 1987 Competitive tandem is looking a little rough. Should I a)have it re-done or b)have a new one built or c) buy a newer used trailer and have it fitted? I'm looking to keep costs low but still have a nice set-up. Show quality is not important to me.
Here's the details. Its a 21' Laveycraft trailer, tandem axel, surge brakes, atwood style brake actuator/tongue. Original black paint, original chrome modulars, new bunks and carpet, new tires, everything works, surface rust from rock pitting, some dings in fenders.
Anyone had any experience with costs and pros/cons? How about a good shop in SoCal that refinishes trailers?
Thanks in advance.
Old Lavey

Hustler
08-26-2002, 06:37 PM
If you are just talking about paint Abrasive Finishing Co, in Gardena will sandblast and paint it for around 900 bucks, If you really want to spend the money a new trailer will cost you around 2800 to start. If you call AFCO ask for mike. 310-323-7175

Outnumbered
08-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Sounds good. Do they remove anything or is that the price if its brought down stripped (no lights, bunks, etc.).
Thanks for the quick reply.
OL

Hustler
08-26-2002, 06:51 PM
You would be better off stiping all of that yourself, like I said call Mike and tell him Joe told you to call, he is a good friend of mine.

SPECTRABRENT
08-26-2002, 07:04 PM
JOe,
Is that the place that did Steves trailer?
I will be needing to get mine done shortly.
I still have the bimni top if you want to come and pick it up.
Brent

jet4fun
08-26-2002, 09:31 PM
i say definetly redo the old trailer. from what you said the trailer has no mechanical damage. sounds like you just want a fresh paint job.
i redid mine myself. i stripped it, had it sandblasted, me and a buddy painted it ourselves in the backyard, i rewired it myself, replaced the bearings races seals and leaf spring bushings, and bought treated wood and carpet from lowes, and a new set of wheels and tires.
its a 74 competitive and looks brand new, and i spent less than a grand (the wheels alone cost 550 so you could save a lot of money if you like your old ones, mine were nasty looking)

Outnumbered
08-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Jet4fun,
Sounds like re-do is the way to go. About the wheels, mine are OK but I was thinking of upgrading them at the same time. Is a trailer off-set unique or will some car/truck wheels work. Mine are 14x7 chrome mods with 5-4.5 bolt pattern. Any suggestions? What did you put on?
Thanks,
OL

HotHallet
08-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Competitive builds exceptionally good trailers. My dad went to high school with the Danny the owner of Competitive and my dad has always had competitive trailers under his boats. They are exceptionally well built. Your trailer does not sound like it is in that bad of condition. If you are looking to refurbish it I have a friend who knows a guy who will powdercoat it for around $600.00. That apparanetly includes sandblasting it to remove rust. I would recommend re-doing your trailer as a new Competitive probably has a 3,500-4,000 price tag.

Outnumbered
08-27-2002, 08:25 AM
HH, that sounds too good to be true :D . Get me more info if you have it. You can e-mail me if you want. Thanks for the help.
OL

25Elmn8r
08-27-2002, 08:52 AM
I helped my buddy redo his trailer at the beginning of the season. We had it sandblasted and powdercoated for around $700. Powder coat, new lights, wiring, bunks, and carpet = less than $900. This place is in HB. I can get the # if you want.
[ August 27, 2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

Outnumbered
08-27-2002, 09:02 AM
Sure, I will take all the info I can get. Powder coating would be preferred but I just figured it would be out of my budget. I didn't realize you could get it done for so cheap. Does the trailer have to be stripped down completely or can you leave the axels and brakes and stuff on? Thanks for the help.
OL

jet4fun
08-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Old Lavey:
Jet4fun,
Sounds like re-do is the way to go. About the wheels, mine are OK but I was thinking of upgrading them at the same time. Is a trailer off-set unique or will some car/truck wheels work. Mine are 14x7 chrome mods with 5-4.5 bolt pattern. Any suggestions? What did you put on?
Thanks,
OLmy old wheels were 14". i wanted to step up to a 15". i just towed it over to a tire shop, some guy came out and i pointed to the trailer and told him i wanted a new set of 4-15" wheels (chrome modular) and whatever tires will fit for that trailer, he said ok that'll be $550+/-.
by the way the jump in price from 14 to 15 is very little, and i personally feel the 15 looks way better and gives the trailer more of a low profile look, plus theoretically there is less sidewally flex on the lower pro 15

TOBTEK
08-27-2002, 09:23 AM
I redid the Competive trailer also for my 87 18 Lavey tunnel. Tip of the day, STAY AWAY FROM AROS TRAILERS IN EL CAJON!!!! im inbarassed to say how much I paid them to strip/repaint/new carpet&bunks, and new tires! I pretty much could have and should have bought a new trailer. And to top it off, It turned out horrible. Paint was scratched,dull. Just a real bad experence. Have you contacted Extreme trailers, I saw a ad stating resoration on old trailers available.

Outnumbered
08-27-2002, 10:01 AM
Tobtek,
Does yours have surge brakes? I'm wondering who can check them out, service them. Mine are working but seem kinda loose at the tongue. Lots of slack when you take off from a stop.
Thanks,
OL

TOBTEK
08-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Old Lavey:
Tobtek,
Does yours have surge brakes? I'm wondering who can check them out, service them. Mine are working but seem kinda loose at the tongue. Lots of slack when you take off from a stop.
Thanks,
OLNo, Sorry my trailer didnt have any brakes, was a small 18-10 seabring. Sold it last summer.
If you go with a major trailer manufacture like extreme im sure they can dail you in... wink

Outnumbered
08-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the help. Just thought your set up might be the same since its the same year and came from Lavey. When I get some free time I will drag it down and have it checked.
OL

jet4fun
08-27-2002, 10:33 AM
good call, i forgot about that extreme ad.
good idea to have them look at it and see how much they would charge to redo it, or maybe just parts of it based on what you want to do to save yourself some money

25Elmn8r
08-27-2002, 10:36 AM
Old Lavey:
Sure, I will take all the info I can get. Powder coating would be preferred but I just figured it would be out of my budget. I didn't realize you could get it done for so cheap. Does the trailer have to be stripped down completely or can you leave the axels and brakes and stuff on? Thanks for the help.
OLWe pulled the bunks, lights and wiring off. Everything else was powdercoated. They did an outstanding job. They scratched the fender putting it back on, so it took a little longer than planned because they redid the fender. I will get the # from my buddy tonight.

NashvilleBound
08-28-2002, 06:52 PM
I have 5 newish 14" wheels and tires. 2 still have the rubber lugs on them..... They are the chrome mods that extreme uses. 5 on 4.5
NB

Outnumbered
08-28-2002, 08:34 PM
I've got a good set just like 'em on the trailer now. I was looking at something like aluminum car or light truck wheels? Don't know if they would work though.
Thanks,
OL

Raskal
08-28-2002, 09:17 PM
whats the best way get boat off trailer to all the work sound like it could take a long time if you do it your self. mine is in bad shape and should do this soon

Outnumbered
08-28-2002, 09:48 PM
I've got a slip on the lake I can leave it on in the summer. For the winter I checked with Hardin Marine and they have a storage place at the old Norton AFB where they can take it off the trailer and store it for you. Call 411 for Corona, I think Hardin has a store off the 15 down there near you. Maybe they can hook you up.
OL