PDA

View Full Version : Boatcop?

miller19j
09-10-2002, 10:18 AM
Boatcop,
Could you please clear something up for me.
In California a PWC crossing a boats wake needs to stay back 100ft from a boat. If the boat is pulling a skier on a 75 foot line does that mean that the PWC only needs to be 25 feet from the Skier and if so what happens if the skier is on a 100ft line?
I know that you are not a California officer but I thought that you would be familiar with California law. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.
Miller19j

Havasu_Dreamin
09-10-2002, 12:02 PM
You may want to ask that question over at BoatCops web page (http://www.boatcop.com) You may get a quicker response.

miller19j
09-10-2002, 12:29 PM
Thanks! I just did
Miller19j

Elsinore Cop
09-10-2002, 02:41 PM
Interesting question. Section 655.2(a)(1)of the California Harbors and Navigations Code mandates a 5mph speed limit if you are within 100 feet of a "bather", but then says "A person engaged in the sport of water skiiing shall not be considered as engaged in the act of bathing for the purposes of this section."
I would view the skier as an extention of the vessel for the purposes of 655.7(c) H&N which makes it illegal for PWCs to jump the wake within 100 feet of the vessel. This section also has a "reasonable and prudent" provision. So a PWC who jumps wake 25 feet behind a water skier is definately in violation. wink

miller19j
09-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Elsinore Cop!
Now if I could only convince them of that! Sometimes I think that I am a PWC magnet.

BBTAHITI
09-10-2002, 06:25 PM
this is a PWC magnet!
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbbstang/diverter.jpg
:D

Jrocket
09-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey Elsinore cop,
If the water level out there gets any lower you'll be able to sit at the dock and just yell across the lake.I went by there today and it has looked better in the past,that's for sure.Sure would be nice to get the level up some..Make some calls and see what you can do!!!! :p :p

Lake Lifeguard
09-10-2002, 10:01 PM
Elsinore Cop:
Interesting question. Section 655.2(a)(1)of the California Harbors and Navigations Code mandates a 5mph speed limit if you are within 100 feet of a "bather", but then says "A person engaged in the sport of water skiiing shall not be considered as engaged in the act of bathing for the purposes of this section."
I would view the skier as an extention of the vessel for the purposes of 655.7(c) H&N which makes it illegal for PWCs to jump the wake within 100 feet of the vessel. This section also has a "reasonable and prudent" provision. So a PWC who jumps wake 25 feet behind a water skier is definately in violation. wink You are absolutely right Elsinore Cop. For all other purposes a skier is included as a passenger in the boat so the same would be true with 655.7 H&N.

Rexone
09-10-2002, 11:56 PM
Interesting question which brings up a memory of a problem I encountered about 10 years ago pulling a speed skier on a 200 ft rope at Parker. A lice cut behind the boat about 50 feet, never saw the skier or the rope, got one hell of a rope burn though. Skier let go fortunately and that was the extent of the problem other than a few words with the lice operator. Could have been a much worse result though. The lice cutting behind the boat problem is one I feel really needs to be addressed. Just on these forums I've read about many accidents caused by this practice, mostly to the pwc operator. If we could find a way to just educate people on these things of the dangers they face by not paying attention, that would solve a lot of it.

Laveyman
09-11-2002, 04:33 AM
Too bad the rope didn't wrap around his neck! eek! Lice population control! :cool:

XTRM22
09-11-2002, 06:28 AM
Laveyman:
Too bad the rope didn't wrap around his neck! eek! Lice population control! :cool: A lttle grumpy this A.M. LaveyMan?
LOL
Chuck

miller19j
09-11-2002, 07:12 AM
Rexone:
Interesting question which brings up a memory of a problem I encountered about 10 years ago pulling a speed skier on a 200 ft rope at Parker. A lice cut behind the boat about 50 feet, never saw the skier or the rope, got one hell of a rope burn though. Skier let go fortunately and that was the extent of the problem other than a few words with the lice operator. Could have been a much worse result though. The lice cutting behind the boat problem is one I feel really needs to be addressed. Just on these forums I've read about many accidents caused by this practice, mostly to the pwc operator. If we could find a way to just educate people on these things of the dangers they face by not paying attention, that would solve a lot of it.Rexone,
I think that you hit the nail on the head. If we could only educate them most of the accidents probably wouldn’t happen. Now how do we go about doing that?

Boatcop
09-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. I'm building an addition on the house, and haven't been on the net much lately.
Elsinore Cop hit it right on. The skier IS an extension of the boat.
However, that applies to "Jumping" the wake. I don't know how California defines "Jumping", but here in AZ it's having half or more of the watercraft out of the water.
The PWC vs. Ski-ropes is the primary reason those laws were enacted. Other reasons are PWCs ending up in the cockpit of boat's coming the other way, and a few incidents (Like the one with Gloria Estafan's boat in Florida) where the PWC rider ended up in the prop.

24RODjr
09-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Got in a fight with a lice driver on mead for this same reason. Came within 10 feet of the back of my boat...grrr
Is there a Lice Forum where we could post this and other threads so that they'll get the hint?
-Chris