PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Havasu Marina

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Well after being told all last week By the Marina that they were not letting boats over 36' launch because of a low water level, I found out it was a lie!!
When we got to Havasu we discovered that the water level was fine. The sandbar was actually under water. We made another call to the Marina from the water. Again they told us it was because the water level. We told them we were on the water and the level was fine. We were then told by the manager "I don't want those kinds of boats here". So finally the real story comes out!!
They also tried to tell me the weight of the large boats was damaging the ramp. Well that is bullshit because the large cruisers that they rent slips to are in the 15,000 to 25,000 pound range, and they launch on the same ramp. My boat weighs 8800 pounds dry so probably about 10k wet. The larger cats weigh less than this.
Like I said in a previous post they told me two years ago that my Mach 26 was not the "type of boat they wanted there" when I attempted to lease a slip.
Since the new managment took ever about three years ago the harrasment has become worse every year. I have been told that they want a more "family oriented enviroment". I guess that means Bayliners and pontoon boats.
I don't think the manager cares about losing some money on launch fee's because they are making money on gas, service and other items. It is kind of ironic that they don't want certain types of boats on their ramps or in their slips, but they are willing to sell you gas and perform service on your boats.
This is not just effecting large boats...They have been harrasing boats with over the transom headers and through hull exhaust the past couple of years as well. They are even telling some people that call that no boats over 30' are allowed so maybe that will be their next rule. Some boats have also been banned because of the name of the boat. Maybe your boat is not affected today, but who knows about tommorow.
Jusy my opinion but I will not buy anything from the Marina and will not use their ramp in the future if I happen to have a smaller boat. I think everybody else should think about who you are supporting when you buy products from them. When they say we don't want "those types of boats here", these are the same people that will try and influence the city to pass laws that will restrict what types of boats can use the lake.
I also found out that the Marina is actually owned by Ritchie McCullough (sp) whose father founded the city and tested his race boats on the lake. I wonder what he would think about what is happening at his Marina.
I am going to try and get an address for him, and write a letter to him and let him know what is happening. I was told he lives in Palm Springs.
Well sorry for the long post but I thought some of you would like to know what the attitude of the current managment at the marina is. And by the way I was told that the Marina has say so over any new private marina's being built, so they pretty much have a monopoly as far as privately owned ramps that are open to the public, except those at the campgrounds.
If we can hit them in the wallet maybe the owner will get involved and change the managment. Something to think about anyways. :mad:

Craig
04-29-2003, 09:55 AM
I'll have to agree with your letter. My boat is way under the length parameter, but I have been questioned about it being loud. I say of course not :D How does the marina have say so on new marinas being built. That doesn't sound right :confused: But that also doesn't mean it isn't so. Where did you end up launching from, Windsor? Shame they don't have a web site or at least an e-mail address.
Craig
[ April 29, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

bear down
04-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Craig:
I'll have to agree with your letter. My boat is way under the length parameter, but I have been questioned about it being loud. I say of course not :D How does the marina have say so on new marinas being built. That doesn't sound right :confused: But that also doesn't mean it isn't so. Where did you end up launching from, Windsor? Shame they don't have a web site or at least an e-mail address.
Craig Actually they do have a website Here it is!
http://www.lakehavasumarina.com
Have fun!

mbrown2
04-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Until things change, I will no longer purchase gas or other items there, but happen to prefer the launch facilities. :mad:

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 10:10 AM
We launched from Windsor, as well as some large Skaters and some other very large boats. we are lucky the wind was calm.
My neighbor has lived in Havasu for 26 years and is fairly well connected to the city. He said that when the Marina was built they were given "first right of refusal". He said that means if somebody wants to build a marina or add slips to an existing one, the Marina can dispute this by saying they can provide the needed services with their facility. I am finding out more and more that the "good ol boy" network is alive and well out there.

bear down
04-29-2003, 10:10 AM
mbrown2:
Until things change, I will no longer purchase gas or other items there, but happen to prefer the launch facilities. :mad: I have to agree, easy in and easy out. On the news section of the website it does state that the Marina won't allow 36'+ boats to be launched and boats 30-36' can only launch out of lane 7.

XTRM22
04-29-2003, 10:17 AM
I gotta agree with Havasu Cig, if they don't want the ramp business I wouldn't give them any! I never liked using their ramp anyway, and hate the hell out of buying gas from any gas dock! I'll continue to launch at Windsor (buying my yearly pass this weekend) and gassing up on the trailer at Terribles.
Chuck

91nordic29
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
this is what they have on their website:
LAUNCH RAMP RESTRICTIONS April 23 2003, 11:23 am
"Due to ongoing launch ramp issues, our maximum boat length for using the ramp is 36'. Boats from 30' to 36' are required to use lane 7 only. Thank you"

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Their website also states they have slips up to 60' in length. I guess as long as they approve of your boat the length does not matter.
Kind of funny how they don't talk about noise restrictions on their website either, but they hand you a flyer when you drive in and then yell at you when you start your boat.
The flyer states that boats without mufflers are not allowed in the marina. I wonder when they will start enforcing this?
I agree that the ramp is nice, but I will never use it again until the managment or their attitudes change.
I don't want to see the day when certain types of boats are banned from the lake, and it is people like this that have influence that could start such problems.

Essex502
04-29-2003, 10:30 AM
There is an email address accessible from the general information page, located at the bottom of the page. I suggest that all that are opposed to the policies email them your thoughts. Remember, politeness and courtesy will get more attention.
email address:
lhmarina@citlink.net

Havasu_Dreamin
04-29-2003, 10:37 AM
I've personally never had a problem at the Marina. E502 is right, those of you upset with their service, make your thoughts known via the e-mail link.

Seadog
04-29-2003, 10:37 AM
It looks like the manager has a bad case of stickass. Its one thing to say that open headers not allowed, but it is just plain stupid to put out a bunch of BS. Cities are allowed to grant monopolies for service. The only way around is to vote in people that will revoke the monopoly or to find a lawyer that will make a loophole.
This only works if you have the pockets and can install a competing business. I have seen towns that have granted electrical, A/C and plumbing licenses to relatives of a politician and then initiated new rules that made it impossible for anyone else to compete. You would not believe the lengths some towns put contractors thru. Can't legally charge more for utilities? Add a few hundred fee for every toilet installed in a house. If you replace a toilet, the fee applies too. That's my rant
Ifyou want to do something, plan on attending city council meetings and getting to know the politicians. Talk to the restaurant owners that you are welcome at. If where you stay is friendly, mention that your clubs/groups are talking boycott.

NashvilleBound
04-29-2003, 10:41 AM
I think were heading out there Thursday after work....where is Windsor. It's been several years and I don't remember where everything is. I think were going to try to stay at Nautical Inn if its available...unless I hear from ya'll that there is something better. Whats the best way from North San Diego too? Thanks, Jeff

HavasuDreamin'
04-29-2003, 10:48 AM
NashvilleBound:
I think were heading out there Thursday after work....where is Windsor. It's been several years and I don't remember where everything is. I think were going to try to stay at Nautical Inn if its available...unless I hear from ya'll that there is something better. Whats the best way from North San Diego too? Thanks, Jeff Windsor is roughly (slightly south of) at the intersection of London Bridge Road and Industrial Blvd. If you are staying at the Nautical, it is WAY out of your way. Take AZ 95 to Industrial and head towards the lake. When you hit a T-Intersection, go left. Windsor is on your right hand side about 100' up. :cool:

NashvilleBound
04-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Is there somewhere better to stay? Closer to Windsor?

NashvilleBound
04-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Just got a call from First Cabins CLub at Havasu and its the Eliminator Regatta this weekend. Uh, thanks but no thanks. Can you say ZOOOO! Still would like to know where to go and stay but were definitaly going somewhere else this weekend. All my Eliminator friends are all good but it will just be too many peoples on the H2Os...

Steamin' Rice
04-29-2003, 11:22 AM
I have to agree that LHM was a pain in the ass this weekend.....My boat is 29', nowhere near the max length of 36' and I don't think it could be mistaken for being too long. Still, when I pulled up to the marina they started asking me about the size of my boat, noise from the engine, etc etc etc.....
On Sat afternoon while getting fuel I went in to see if they had any slips available, since their docks looked pretty empty to me. The guy started to say yes and then asked what size my boat is. I said 29' and pointed to my boat at the fuel dock. After that he said that they don't have any slips that my boat will fit into.... :mad:

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 11:24 AM
The Nautical put in a ramp that you can use if you are staying there. I saw it from a distance and it looked like a concrete ramp with a dirt approach.
Another thought I had is where is ***boat Mag going to launch some of the restricted boats. I know when they did the photoshoot on my Mach they did some of it inside the service slips at the Marina.
Another good idea I was given was to write to the Tourism Board. Some of the restaurants and Hotels won't be happy if it effects their business.

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
SR,
We missed you guys this weekend. As far as the length of boats...One guy I talked to on the water said they actually measured his.

MissHavasuCig
04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Nashville Bound ~
If you stay at the Nautical you can use their launch ramp they have on-site... might want to give them a call and check out the options?
Have fun :)

MissHavasuCig
04-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Steamin' Rice:
After that he said that they don't have any slips that my boat will fit into.... :mad: "Will"... or that they "Want you to" fit into... :mad:
Same attitude they gave us when we wanted to rent a slip full time for our 26' cat to use only on weekends when we were there... They refused to rent us a slip even if we were willing to be on the waiting list for a spot. frown

MissHavasuCig
04-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Steamin' Rice:
After that he said that they don't have any slips that my boat will fit into.... :mad: "Will"... or that they "Want you to" fit into... :mad:
Same attitude they gave us when we wanted to rent a slip full time for our 26' cat to use only on weekends when we were there... They refused to rent us a slip even if we were willing to be on the waiting list for a spot. frown

LakeRacer
04-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Essex502:
There is an email address accessible from the general information page, located at the bottom of the page. I suggest that all that are opposed to the policies email them your thoughts. Remember, politeness and courtesy will get more attention.
email address:
lhmarina@citlink.net I can assure you that they read their emails. I sent them an email last week asking about the restrictions and even got a phone call from the marina manager.
For what it's worth, here is the explanation that I got:
Due to the high volume of larger and larger boats over the past several years, when the boats engage the props they stir up alot of sediment and this sediment settles creating a shoal that affects the ability of all boats to launch safely. The marina currently has applications to the Corps of Engineers to allow for dredging of the marina.
This is not a direct quote - I'm telling you what I remember from the conversation with the marina manager

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
It seems the manager can't tell the same story twice. I wonder what the real one is? :confused:

HavasuDreamin'
04-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Havasu Cig:
Another good idea I was given was to write to the Tourism Board. Some of the restaurants and Hotels won't be happy if it effects their business. Yes, this is a good idea that will get some attention. I would recommend sending out a letter to the marina. At the bottom of the letter put:
CC: Tourism Board, Chamber of Commerce, (and any other group you send the letter to).
This will let them know that not only did they (the marina) get the letter, but everyone else in that town who carries some weight with the local politicians received it as well. Good Luck, I am on your side with this one. :cool:

Powerquestboy
04-29-2003, 12:43 PM
I was in Havasu a month ago and some friends were not allowed to launch their 33 foot scarab. We were staying at the Nautical so we launched there and retrieved at the marina. They never asked us how big the boat was and it’s tough to tell by only seeing the trailer. Nautical’s ramp is not good at all but it was easy to put the boat in there. We tried several times to get it out from there and couldn’t. If the nautical has paved that ramp great! I wonder if they would allow people to pay $10 bucks to launch there? I also don’t understand any of the explanations they are giving because the big “family" cabin cruisers draft way more than any cat does and I bet more than most big V hulls. I have to believe they would stir up more dirt on the bottom than most high performance boats. Its going to be tough for them to stay in business if they only allow 18 foot Bayliners to launch.

NashvilleBound
04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
After a dozen calls it looks like the only place to go would be the Nautical Inn. AZ has the only decent weather this weekend. We'll probably go up on Thursday afternoon and stay till Sat morning when all the Eliminator peeps start showing up. Whats the latest scoop on Lake Mohave's water level?

Essex502
04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Email is good to start but I agree a typewritten letter cc'ing the aforementioned entities will get their attention even better. Anyone actually live full time in LHC? We have a second house there but are not full time. It would be interesting to put a group together to make a presentation at a city council meeting. LHC is expanding and it's due to us boaters NOT the geriatric snow birds as they're a dying breed (no offense). Everyone of the city council members must have real estate and other investments such as businesses in town and with enough pressure maybe something can be done. It'll take organization and a local presence.

summerlove
04-29-2003, 01:22 PM
If I recall, the marina land is wholy owned by the State of AZ. The marina has a concession (similar to an exclusive agreement to operate a commercial facility on public lands) to operate the marina for a period of time, usually for a number of years with an option to re-up at some point. The benefit to the public entity (in this case, AZ)is that they get a set $ amount or a % of revenues and they don't have to worry about running another facility that is a public benefit. The downside, is when the concessionaire, in this case, the marina operators, tend to become too restrictive and forget about who they represent. As a long time public municipal official, I see this happen occasionally. I think that the argument for the size restriction is reasonable, if indeed they are having ramp problems. If it's a made up story, then that's not right. The noise restriction is a "get used to it" because it will become the norm for any parkland: read lakes. On a brighter note, Jeff, the manager at the marina for the last few years, was recently "let go" due to his demeanor with the public. To say that the guy is an asshole is like saying Saddam Hussein is a choir girl - this guy was ( and still is, I assume) a major dic%head. He was the rudest person I ever met who's ass I had to kiss every time I wanted a slip for the w/e. I. for one, am hapy he's gone away to piss off some other group of people, maybe now he's serving "meal's on wheels" to seniors and making them suffer for their daily rations of SOS. Sorry, but I'm releasing 5 years of frustration :mad: at this very moment. Anybody have a cold one for me? :p
Rick

mbrown2
04-29-2003, 01:26 PM
NashvilleBound:
After a dozen calls it looks like the only place to go would be the Nautical Inn. AZ has the only decent weather this weekend. We'll probably go up on Thursday afternoon and stay till Sat morning when all the Eliminator peeps start showing up. Whats the latest scoop on Lake Mohave's water level? Nautical is a nice place to stay if you want to leave the boat in the water. Not sure about the rooms these days. Also, the nautical will be busy due to the Eliminator regatta, but the lake is pretty big, so you can find some areas away from the crowds..

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 01:29 PM
FYI: The Nautical does have a new ramp that appeared to be concrete. It is just south of the old dirt ramp. I don't know how good it is but I saw a Top Kick there waiting to recover something big judged by the size of the trailer attached.
I did call the Nautical about use of the ramp and they said it is only for guest although if was not a busy weekend they might consider letting others launch. I don't know what they would charge though. They told me to check it out and if it looked like it would work I could talk to them about it.
The ideas that are being proposed are very good. i am going to work on a polite factual letter to send to the various entities. We to have a house there and I even worry about housing values should the lake become more restrictive to boaters.

Havasu Cig
04-29-2003, 01:34 PM
SummerLove,
I was told Jeff was still the manager, and when we talked to the "manager" on the phone over the past week he did not identify himself. I assumed we were talking to Jeff. If this is a new guy he might be worse. I will have to find out who the new guy is.

Ziggy
04-29-2003, 01:43 PM
You tell enough local businesses that you won't patronize their business unless the marina gets their shit together. Those biz owners will make plenty of noise at the counsil meetings to preserve their livelihood...they know who drops the dough in town!

summerlove
04-29-2003, 01:51 PM
then maybe I f-up'd the name, and if I did, I apologize to Jeff, but the guy behind the counter, about 55ish, attitude, is gone. That's the good thing. Maybe Jeff is the manager, but the front counter guy was the public contact guy and he was a 100% a-hole!

Tom Brown
04-29-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm not really involved in this, although I will support the boycot.
Isn't profiling illegal? It would be up here. It would be one thing to have weight or noise restrictions but it sounds like they're profiling. It would be easier to respect them if they let a scale and dB meter decide the launch or no.
-- Tom

LakeRacer
04-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Havasu Cig:
SummerLove,
I was told Jeff was still the manager, and when we talked to the "manager" on the phone over the past week he did not identify himself. I assumed we were talking to Jeff. If this is a new guy he might be worse. I will have to find out who the new guy is. I spoke with Jeff over the phone this past weekend and he identified himself as the manager.

dkreuzen
04-29-2003, 04:54 PM
I think a boycott is the best way. I always launch at Windsor and never go the the marina anyway. My neighbor just spent $2600 on a switchable muffler system on his Magic cat so he could keep his slip in the marina. Needless to say he is not too happy about it.
HavasuDreamin, There is no longer a T intersection to get into Windsor, go down Industrial, straight across London Bridge road and into the ramp area.
There is a new mayor for Havasu this year (Bob Whelan) and he owns Campbell boat company so he pro boating and may be helpful in this issue. Here is his website:
http://www.ci.lake-havasu-city.az.us/mayor.htm

skater40
04-29-2003, 05:08 PM
Whether it's city,BLM OR taxpayer(arizona) leased land,we should find out exactly and each of us should file a complaint detailing our own experences with Jeff and his group of thugs.I called two :mad: times last week and got two different execuses and no mention of applying for a dredging permit which i suspect is bogus but can sure be checked out. :mad:

MagicMtnDan
04-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Just a suggestion - someone should write a letter that covers all the points and does it well and then post the letter here so others can copy it (and modify it if desired). There's nothing wrong with a bunch of different people sending a similar letter in to the appropriate parties. This is something that organized groups do all the time to make it easy for those motivated to send in their thoughts and complaints.
Also I suggest that the post have names and addresses (snail and electronic) of all the people/groups that the letter should be sent to.
Just my two cents.
[ April 29, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

playdeep
04-29-2003, 06:45 PM
It appears as if the powers that be at the marina are enforcing rules arbitrarily,instead of unilaterally...
Last month entering I was asked point blank if I had mufflers,I said no and proceded to launch.
Found out later that others who said no to the muffler question were turned away and ended up launching at site6. or windsor.
This past weekend certain people were asked about mufflers others were not...
BTW,Havacig,we were anchored about 20 yards away from you guys Sat. at the sandbar (red/white Eliminator Eagle,blue/white Fountain)..The pictures of your boat don't do it justice,that thing is sweeeet.

eliminator777
04-29-2003, 08:09 PM
They suck over there. I live here and I won't launch there.Because your boat is To loud To Long ,You take,to long on ramp,Your stereo is to loud.It dosn't matter. It's all about how they feel. They don't have a problem with your boat if you pull up to their Crappy gas dock and spend a $100.00 on their gas with just a little water in it.But don't launch that Loud,Long,Crude SOB of a boat here.Just leave us your money.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :D :D :cool:

TCHB
04-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Ok it is our turn DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT THE MARINA starting today!!!!!

Havasu_Jet_85
04-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Thats Gay. But I guess they dont want your money.

beer hunter
04-29-2003, 08:38 PM
TCHB:
Ok it is our turn DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT THE MARINA starting today!!!!! Consider it done :mad: Hit them where it hurts,(The Wallet) :)

Trouble Maker
04-29-2003, 09:51 PM
I had a problem there a couple years ago which I won't bother to go into, but I haven't gone back since. Looks like things haven't changed much, if anything, sounds like it's gotten worse.
**** those guys!!!
yuk

Rexone
04-29-2003, 10:03 PM
I've heard nothing but bad rumors coming from that direction the last couple of months from lots of people. Can't believe they're all made up. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who they "let" launch and who get's the boot. Seems like its a mood thing. Some get through, some get the finger. hmmmm... :(
Again, I haven't been there recently, just what I've heard.

HTM 572
04-29-2003, 10:52 PM
i agree with filing a complaint and boycotting,3 weeks ago i went to the marina paid to launch no question at all, when i started my boat some old man came running down the ramp with a pen and paper wrote down my az numbers then told me I couldnt launch because my boat was to loud. sO I pulled out, has i was pulling out that giant 44 magic cat was pulling in that same old !* !*! was letting them right by the security tower.I think the word grease apply,s here $$$$$...derek

RiverForUs
04-30-2003, 12:30 AM
I was there this past Friday going out on my buddies boat. So when I drove up to the booth to pay $10 to let my boat sit on the trailer in a dirt lot I was told I couldn't do that.
"You mean I can't pay the launch fee and just leave my boat on the trailer?"
"Nope! You can turn around and park outside the gates."
"Gee, is that safe? Or even legal?"
WTF is that?
I'll never go there again!

RiverForUs
04-30-2003, 12:37 AM
Oh yeah, my buddies boat got broken into Thursday night while it was in one of their slips. So did a few others. Nice security!

Havasu Cig
04-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I was going to start on the letter today, but I was thinking it might be better to somehow post it online and have signitures placed on it before being sent.
I am not the most computer oriented person, so if anybody knows how this can be done please let me know. I think it would carry alot more weight with signitures. Let me know what you think.

Baby Doll
04-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Hey guys--
Just to let you know, the Marina is harrassing EVERYONE, even locals. Rumor has it that they are contacting slip owners and telling them that here are the new rules, if you can't abide by them then we will take your slip from you. Many people have had their slips for years. Also that paper they are passing out is to cover their butts because they approached (not kindly) argue a CA lawyer and were telling him that he needed to get off their ramp and that they were not refunding his money. That lawyer is now suing the Marina for harrassment. I agree 110% with the boycot. I just hope some of the other launch ramps need to step it up and hire weekend security. Just my 2 cents.

Havasu Cig
04-30-2003, 08:29 AM
PlayDeep,
Thanks for the compliments....You should have said hi. I could not believe how cold the water was up there!! eek!

RiverTime69
04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
MagicMtnDan:
Just a suggestion - someone should write a letter that covers all the points and does it well and then post the letter here so others can copy it (and modify it if desired). There's nothing wrong with a bunch of different people sending a similar letter in to the appropriate parties. This is something that organized groups do all the time to make it easy for those motivated to send in their thoughts and complaints.
Also I suggest that the post have names and addresses (snail and electronic) of all the people/groups that the letter should be sent to.
Just my two cents. What a great idea!!!
I was talking to one of the lawyers at my firm and I am going to put together a letter. He is going to proof it for the proper legal lingo and then I'll post the letter and e-mail addresses.
Gimme a day or two to get it right. idea

Essex502
04-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Hurry....I'm leaving for Havasu tomorrow night! :D
Seriously, great idea. If we all band together and get other boaters we know who might not participate on the internet sites then maybe we can be loud enough to be heard. It would also help, as I mentioned before, if a Havasu local could step up and find out when a petition could be presented to the city council.

Havasu Cig
04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
RT69,
That sounds great....I will wait for your letter.

RiverTime69
04-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Here it is...what do you think?
Mayor and City Council
2330 McCulloch Boulevard N.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
Phone: 928-453-4141
Fax: 928-680-4892
To Whom It May Concern:
I would like to address an issue that is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with and has gone beyond inconvenient. It has to do with the Lake Havasu Marina and the way in which it is being run.
Over the past couple of years, the management and the staff have become increasingly rude to boaters and have conveyed an attitude of, “if you don’t like it, launch somewhere else.” In fact, I dare to say it’s to the point of harassment and borders profiling. I have personally witnessed my friends boats being turned away at the gate for, “not being the type of boat they want here.” Boaters being told after they have paid and are attempting to launch that they are too big and need to leave the Marina and that they won’t be given a refund either. I believe there is a pending litigation concerning harassment for that behavior.
As the 2003 season has just started to begin I have personally heard or been told about 5 different “reasons” for not letting certain boats launch at the Marina. One being length, anything over 36 feet is banned from the Marina…OK, that’s fine, but why did I personally witness a 12 foot wide, 44 foot long Magic boat launch without incident with all 3 motors running. Two, noise pollution…OK, they’ve been asking people about mufflers, but why not everyone. Some get turned away for not having them, others admit they don’t have them but are allowed to launch, and still others aren’t even asked. I believe the staff and management are arbitrarily picking and choosing who they do and do not want to use the Marina. Three, damage to the ramp from the weight…OK, let’s see, how about a 35 foot Fountain, it weighs in around 10,000 pounds. Turned away at the gate…WHY? It’s under the length, it’ll launch from lane 7…Reason. “You’re too heavy and it’s damaging the ramp area.” But, I cruise by the slip area and see quite a few cabin cruisers weighing in at 15,000 – 20,000 pounds sitting in slips and being launched at the Marina all the time. Four, big boats are churning up sediment and causing a shoal at the bottom or the ramp, requiring it to be dredged more often…WHAT? That is ridiculous, isn’t that why we all pay a $10/day extortion price to have the convenience of the Marina? Doesn’t that price include wear and tear and maintenance for the Marina and its facilities, including the ramp area? Five, my personal favorite, the water level is too low…I don’t think I need to even respond to that one.
But wait, there’s more…speaking of extortion prices…I was there (at the Marina), as I am nearly every weekend of the year over the Easter weekend. As many people did take Good Friday off some didn’t and the Marina required a 3-day pass be purchased by all users. Yes, I said all users. I was there Friday and wanted a 3-day pass, but I know many who weren’t and tried to buy a day pass on Saturday and were refused. Is that legal? I don’t think so, if I choose to buy a 3-day pass on Friday and don’t go boating on Saturday, then too bad for me. But, if I don’t get there until Saturday and only want to launch for the day, I should not have to pay for 3. If I go to Disneyland and want to buy a “discounted” ticket for a 3-day pass, they will sell it to me, but if I want a full admission day pass at the full price for 1 day no one is going to say, “No, you have to buy a 3-day pass.” Disneyland would get sued instantly and every television show in America would be there in 10 minutes. This situation is getting worse by the day.
Please don’t misunderstand, I am not just another “big boat” guy from California that comes to Lake Havasu on the weekend, wreaks havoc and goes “home” on Sunday leaving a disaster in my wake. I consider myself a dual-citizen, I live and work in California, but I own a house in Lake Havasu City and I am there nearly 40 – 45 weekends a year. I have local Identification, my vessel is registered in AZ and I, as many others do, invest substantially in the local economy. I am writing this letter asking the local government to look into this matter. Many of us are getting tired of the, “if you don’t like it, launch somewhere else attitude,” I need not remind you of the impact California’s tourism brings to our fair city and how far reaching the attitude of the few can reflect on the whole. I am and many others are tired of paying for a facility and being made to feel intimidated or even criminal for actually using what we’ve paid for.
Many of us are tired of it, some of us are feeling and bit litigious and we’re looking for places that may be more accommodating. I love Lake Havasu, I enjoy its prosperity and want to see it continue to grow. But, when one facility that doesn’t have a monopoly, but has the best and most convenient access to and controls access to the lake in a city who’s most appealing quality is said lake makes it inconvenient to access that lake makes me want to fix the problem or find a new place to dwell. Please take this seriously, we are.
Thank you.

HavasuDreamin'
04-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Just a piece of constructive criticism from the peanut gallery. Make the letter shorter. I believe it will be more effective this way. It is difficult enough to get someone to read your gripe, so if you labor on and on, they will get about half way through (if that) and throw it in the garbage.
Last two paragraphs are pretty decent. The paragraph where you number things....one....two...three, etc......be more direct and take out the examples. Not needed.
I think you will get the best results if the letter is no more than a page.
Good Luck
HD

HavasuDreamin'
04-30-2003, 12:26 PM
I hope no one is offended, but here is a shorter version of the same letter:
City Council:
I am seeking resolve to an issue that is becoming increasingly difficult and has gone beyond inconvenient. The management and staff of the LHC Marina have become rude to boaters and have conveyed an offensive attitude. It’s to the point of harassment and borders profiling. I have witnessed boats being turned away at the gate for a variety of reasons that are inconsistent. I believe there currently is litigation against the Marina regarding these issues.
Recently I have heard or been told numerous “reasons” for turning away certain boats at the Marina including:
1. Boats over 36' are banned from the Marina. However, I have witnessed boats larger than 40’ being launched on multiple occasions.
2. Noise pollution has become a problem. However, there doesn’t seem to be consistent monitoring of noise levels leading me to believe the staff and management are arbitrarily deciding who gets to use the Marina.
3. Damage to the ramp from the weight of larger vessels. However many large vessels are launched and subsequently moored at the marina slips.
4. Larger boats are churning up sediment and causing a shoal at the bottom or the ramp, requiring it to be dredged more often. Doesn’t the launch fee cover wear and tear?
5. The water level is too low. I have heard this reasoning after verifying “normal” water levels.
Another example of poor service in the eyes of many consumers is the mandated three day pass on non-holiday weekends. Many people took Good Friday off some didn’t and the Marina still required a 3-day pass be purchased by all users. I know many who tried to buy a day pass on Saturday and were refused.
I am not just another “big boat” guy from California that comes to Lake Havasu on the weekend, wreaks havoc and goes home on Sunday. I consider myself a dual-citizen, I live and work in California, but I own a house in Lake Havasu City and I am there nearly 40 – 45 weekends a year. I have local Identification, my vessel is registered in AZ and I, as many others do, invest substantially in the local economy. Many of us are tired of the attitude and poor service offered by the LHC Marina. Unfortunately, it is the best launch facility in town, thus I am seeking a solution other than taking my business elsewhere.
I know the LHC community is aware of the impact boating tourism brings to the city and how far reaching the attitude of the few can reflect on the whole. I thoroughly enojoy Lake Havasu and want to see it continue to grow, however, attitudes similar to this are detrimental to the city and it’s economy. The tourists’ are taking this seriously, and we ask that the council does as well.
Sincerely,
[ April 30, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Keith E. Sayre
04-30-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm going to tell you about another one! The guys
at the marina will only let one boat into each slip. In other words, if I bring 2 boats to the
lake and rent a slip, I can only put one of them
in the slip. If I put the other in there, they'll impound the boat! Why should they care
which of my boats goes into the slip? As long as I am paying for it, it shouldn't matter which or
who's boat I keep there.
With regard to the noise, that's just good ole Jeff being a ____! He likes to show his authority. In addition to the boycott of their
services and products, I also will be idling over
there every time I go by the marina. I think I'll sit with my open exhaust system loping away for about 5 minutes each time that I visit. He
may be the manager of the marina but he can't
say anything to me on the water. So I'll let him
listen to my exhaust and maybe rev the ole blown 588 up a bit right in front of the gas docks.
They keep thinking this lake is for old folks and
tree huggers. I'm going to say that if you shut
down the HOT BOAT part of the lake, this city will
be bankrupt by about 7:30 this evening!
Lets do the boycott thing, then Jeff will see that
the old folks don't pay for anything. Then what?
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

HavasuDreamin'
04-30-2003, 12:34 PM
I like the idling with open exhaust Keith. :D The boycott will work, but it has to be organinzed, have a decent number of people, and be consistent for a number of months. They will realize they are a--holes when they review their books at the end of each month and realize the revenues are down. eek! I wish you guys the best of luck.

Havasu Cig
04-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Both letters are good. I think HD might have a point about the letter being a bit shorter. I think the condensed version HD posted might be a little more to the point.
Again does anybody know a way we can attach signitures to this letter online, and then send it on it's way to the appropriate people? I think if they see it is more than one person who is frustrated it will have a greater impact.
Keith,
How does the rest of the boating manufacturers and sevice centers feel about the Marina? Maybe we could get them involved as well. I would think the City Government has to realize that the town exist because of boating.

gmnhra
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
group actions can be powerfull...if everyone would copy the letter and attach it to an email to the marina, the city council, and the mayor i believe it may call some attention to the marina policies. if you posted a concern, take the five minutes and email as many city officials as possible.

RiverTime69
04-30-2003, 01:37 PM
HD...
I like your version too. Either is fine to me or both will be good too. I think you reworded things nicely.
As far as signatures...I think we could all create a new thread and add our name and any contact information we wish to include. Call the thread LHC Marina Peitition or something like that. It will be up to someone to copy all of the names and add them on a separate page to the letter OR create a letter from each name. Either way is fine to me.

RiverTime69
04-30-2003, 01:56 PM
OK all, how 'bout this one...
To Whom It May Concern:
I would like to address an issue that is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with and has gone beyond inconvenient. It has to do with the Lake Havasu Marina and the way in which it is being run.
Over the past couple of years, the management and the staff have become increasingly rude to boaters and have conveyed an attitude of, “if you don’t like it, launch somewhere else.” In fact, I dare to say it’s to the point of harassment and borders on profiling. I have personally witnessed my friends’ boats being turned away at the gate for “not being the type of boat they [the management] want here.” Boaters are being told after they have paid and are attempting to launch that they are too big and need to leave the Marina and that they won’t be given a refund. I believe there is a pending litigation concerning harassment for this behavior.
Recently I have heard or been told numerous “reasons” for turning away certain boats at the Marina including:
1. Boats over 36' are banned from the Marina. However, I have witnessed boats larger than 40’ being launched on multiple occasions.
2. Noise pollution has become a problem. However, there doesn’t seem to be consistent monitoring of noise levels leading me to believe the staff and management are arbitrarily deciding who gets to use the Marina.
3. Damage to the ramp from the weight of larger vessels. However many large vessels are launched and subsequently moored at the marina slips.
4. Larger boats are churning up sediment and causing a shoal at the bottom or the ramp, requiring it to be dredged more often. Doesn’t the launch fee cover wear and tear mentioned in reasons 3 and 4?
5. The water level is too low. I have heard this reasoning after verifying “normal” water levels. What exactly is the “normal” water level and what would be considered dangerously below “normal”?
Another example of poor service in the eyes of many consumers is the “mandated” 3 day pass on holiday or “big” weekends. Many people took Good Friday off and many others didn’t, and the Marina still required a 3-day pass be purchased by all users. I know many who tried to buy a day pass on Saturday and were refused. Is that legal? If I go to Disneyland and want to buy a “discounted” ticket for a 3-day pass, they will sell it to me, but if I want a full admission day pass at the full price for 1 day no one is going to say, “No, you have to buy a 3-day pass.” Disneyland would get sued instantly and be the lead story at 11:00.
Please don’t misunderstand, I am not just another “big boat” guy from California that comes to Lake Havasu on the weekend, wreaks havoc and goes “home” on Sunday. I consider myself a dual-citizen, I live and work in California, but I own a house in Lake Havasu City and I am there nearly 40 – 45 weekends a year. I have local Identification, my vessel is registered in AZ and I, as many others do, invest substantially in the local economy. Many of us are tired of the attitude and poor service offered by the LHC Marina. Unfortunately, it is the best launch facility in town, thus I am seeking a solution other than taking my business elsewhere.
I know the LHC community is aware of the impact boating tourism brings to the city and how far reaching the attitude of the few can reflect on the whole. I thoroughly enjoy Lake Havasu and want to see it continue to grow; however, attitudes similar to this are detrimental to the city and its economy. The tourists’ are taking this seriously, and we ask that the council does as well.
Thank you.

Havasu Cig
04-30-2003, 01:57 PM
gmnhra:
group actions can be powerfull...if everyone would copy the letter and attach it to an email to the marina, the city council, and the mayor i believe it may call some attention to the marina policies. if you posted a concern, take the five minutes and email as many city officials as possible. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Essex502
04-30-2003, 02:09 PM
I like letter number two, personally, and will print, sign and mail it tonight. I too own a second home in LHC and will not take this lightly. I insist on increasing my property value and the problems outlined will not continue to enhance my property.
I also like Keith's suggestion and would do the same but at idle my exhaust is below the water's surface :( ! You go Keith!

Essex502
04-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Another thought...what if you print up some "I boycott Lake Havasu Marina" flyers and leave one in the Marina store each time we launch. Just walk in and hand it to the clerk behind the counter. Costs little and can get the message across.

Laveyman
04-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Deleted
[ April 30, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Laveyman ]

Laveyman
04-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Instead of sending the letters by email, we should print them out and send them via regular mail. Emails can be deleted in a click of a mouse and the full effect never felt. There's nothing like the Mayor and business owner receiveing hundreds of letters from angry citizens and customers. Lets all spend the 37 cents and send two letters out via mail. One to the mayor, and one to the a$$hole owner.

91nordic29
04-30-2003, 02:47 PM
i also like the thread idea. one on sandbar and one on hot spots west.
mail is good also.

Jrocket
04-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Havasu Cig,
You know Im more of a Parker person and dont get up to Havasu much but when I do that is the ramp I use.So Id be happy to boycott and help with the letter part!!! Just tell me where to send and what.. :D

Ziggy
04-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Do like the so many other do----PICKET at the gates. Post signs (like party posters) around town, English Village, etc., lots of flyers handed to as many boaters throughout the Channal, Copper, Sandbar, etc. detailing the reason for the boycott and where to sign petitions or get more invovled. The more people learn of this injustice the more that will stand up for equality..
Think that would really get the marinas attention?
I for one will not patronize the LHC Marina in any fashion.

Tom Brown
04-30-2003, 03:05 PM
The thing is, posters, petitions, etc. all cost money. You're going to need a fund raiser.
How about this... find a local feed lot operator (preferrably one with a boat) and get him to donate some of his feed lot scrapings. Bag them up in paper bags and sell the shit bags and a small can of lighter fluid for 10 bucks each outside the front gates of the marina. :)
[ April 30, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

MissHavasuCig
04-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Laveyman:
Lets all spend the 37 cents and send two letters out via mail. One to the mayor, and one to the a$$hole owner. Hi Jim :)
The thing we're wondering about is the owner of the Marina... we were told it was Richie McCulloch ~ and it would be hard to believe that he would want his marina to have such public dislike. We think he probably has no idea what's going on ~ he just gets the money every month??? I think it's very important to get our response to the Owner - not the manager who obviously doesn't care!

Tom Brown
04-30-2003, 03:23 PM
MissHavasuCig:
...and it would be hard to believe that he would want his marina to have such public dislike.The thing is, he's responsible for his marina regardless of who is running it. Let the boycott roll and if he doesn't make it his business to at least have half a clue of what's going on then he deserves to have his balls cut off.

24ROD
04-30-2003, 03:32 PM
I also dislike the way they manage that marina. It's like you are doing them a favor. Not me any longer, Windsor or site 6 for me. :cool:

Ziggy
04-30-2003, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Brown:
[QB] The thing is, posters, petitions, etc. all cost money. You're going to need a fund raiser.
Tom,
It isn't that much to buy a rheam of paper, make a flyer and copy a bunch of 'em...my intention here would be mostly to inform as many boater buddies as possibe to join the boycott, for the betterment of the Marina.

burtandnancy
04-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Great ideas! Don't forget to send a copy to the local newspaper. They love to stir up this kind of stuff. By the way, if you stay at the Nautical there is a ramp next to the new buildings but its not paved: it has some sort of gravel and mesh screen to hold it together. It works but its a little short of slope, you have to back in deep. The new rooms (since the fire) are OK, not too quiet but real expensive.
Nashville Bound, Lake Mohave is nearly full pond as it usually is. Powell is down 90'+ and Mead is down over 70'. Mohave and Havasu get all our water (some silly water regulation)...

KrazyKa
04-30-2003, 09:55 PM
If one isn't staying at Nautical/LB Resort, does anyone know of any alternatives for week long slips other than the Marina?

6 Dollar Boat
04-30-2003, 11:54 PM
I started my boycott in March. I bought a year pass at Windsor, and have allready launched 6 times this season. That's $60 that isn't in the LHM cash register. I also convinced my buddies to launch at Windsor last week (4 boats). Word of mouth will really get this thing going.

HavasuDreamin'
05-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Ziggy
It isn't that much to buy a rheam of paper, make a flyer and copy a bunch of 'em...my intention here would be mostly to inform as many boater buddies as possibe to join the boycott, for the betterment of the Marina.Great Idea. The only thing you have to be careful about is the wording you use on the flyer. If it isn't 100% true, the marina might be able to sue you. Good Luck.

Laveyman
05-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Hey Jody,
I can't agree with you more. Someone just needs to find out the addresses for McCullouch and Mr. Mayor and let's start the flood of letters.

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 07:03 AM
For anybody that wants to contact the owner of the Marina here is the info:
Richard McCullogh, PO Box 788, Lake Havasu City, AZ. 86405.
Please be respectful in your letters. He might not be the source of the problem.

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Here is info on the Mayor and City Council:
Mayor: BOB WHELAN
Tenure: 2002-2006
Past/Present Civic Organizations:
Director, Partnership for Economic Development
Co-chair, Shoreline Acquisition & Preservation Commission
President, Chamber of Commerce
London Bridge Rotary Club
Years in Lake Havasu City: 29
COUNCIL MEMBERS:
BOB CRABTREE
Tenure: 2000-2004
Charter Member International Footprinters Association
Member Lakeview Community Church
Republican Men's Club
Affiliate Member (Daytime) Republican Women
Board Member Lake Havasu City Employee Benefit Trust
Little League
Years in Lake Havasu City: 10
RON GOULD
Vice President, LHC Men's Republican Club
Chair, Family Issues, Calvary Baptist Church
Years in Lake Havasu City: 7
KRISTEN LIETZ-ALDRIDGE
Tenure: 2000-2004
Arizona State Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers
Board member for Hospice of Havasu
Kiwanis Club
London Bridge Republican Women
Associate member Lake Havasu Republican Women
Years in Lake Havasu City: 24
PAULA FOWLER
Occupation: Public Utilities Specialist; Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Colorado River Agency, Parker, AZ
Planning Commission of Newberg, OR
Chair, Citizens Utility Rate Review Committee of Newberg, OR
City Council Member of Sherwood, OR
Washington County Citizens Library Advisory Board of Hillsboro, OR
Years in Lake Havasu City: 2
DON CLARK
Lake Havasu City Rotary Club
Airport Advisory Board
Marine Corps League
Years in Lake Havasu City: 10
VALL STRYLE
Tenure: 1998-2002
Planning and Zoning commission
Rotary International
Optimist Club of Lake Havasu
Years in Lake Havasu City: 30
Mayor and Council
Phone: 928-453-4140 Fax: 928-453-6909
City Hall: 2330 McCullogh Blvd N. Lake Havasu City AZ. 86403
I am going to send letters to the above people.

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Here is contact info for the Chamber of Commerce: They have boating events listed on their calender, such as the Eliminator Regatta, so I believe they probably care about the facilities needed to support these events.
Lake Havasu Area
Chamber of Commerce
314 London Bridge Road
(928) 855-4115
kathyt@havasuchamber.com

Jeremy
05-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Yeah, good plan, you guys boycott the hell out of them. That will make it much easier for me to get a slip this weekend. :)

91nordic29
05-01-2003, 09:22 AM
some additional info (someone beat me to the punch):
Mayor and Council
Phone: 928-453-4140 Fax: 928-453-6909
Lake Havasu City Hall
2230 N. McCulloch Blvd.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona 86403
Bob Wheelan, Mayor
Bob Crabtree, Council Member
Ron Gould, Council Member
Kristen Lietz - Aldridge, Council Member
Paula Fowler, Council Member
Don Clark, Council Member
Vall Stryle, Council Member
Lake Havasu Area Chamber of Commerce
314 London Bridge Road
(928) 855-4115
kathyt@havasuchamber.com
BRUCE WILLIAMS, City Manager
2330 McCulloch Boulevard N.
Phone: 928-453-4141
Fax: 928-680-4892
Richard McCullogh. Owner
PO Box 788
Lake Havasu City, AZ. 86405
Lake Havasu Marina
1100 W. Mcculloch

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Jeremy:
Yeah, good plan, you guys boycott the hell out of them. That will make it much easier for me to get a slip this weekend. :) Until they ban your boat... :rolleyes:

Jrocket
05-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Jeremy:
Yeah, good plan, you guys boycott the hell out of them. That will make it much easier for me to get a slip this weekend. :) Sometimes things that are said in these forums stick in peoples minds for a long time...... :)

Essex502
05-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Or give you crap about load exhaust. Or, maybe they don't like you type of music. Or, the color of your hair, etc., etc., etc. Gotta stop this now.

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 11:35 AM
I have written a letter that I am going to send to the above adresses. If they get enough letters from us maybe they will think about it. I am also sending one to the Nautical since they benefit from the boaters probably the most.
Like someone said above, a hard letter instead of e-mail might make a better point. I would encourage everyone to take 10 minutes and do the same.

Essex502
05-01-2003, 11:41 AM
I printed letter #2 last night and have it with me. I will be mailing it tomorrow from LHC so that the postmark will be local. Maybe that will have a little more impact? We'll see.
I agree...printed letters by snail mail get more attention since someone needs to open it and not just disgard the email.

Laveyman
05-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Okay,
Here's the version of the letter I will be sending in. It is geared toward those of us who do not own property in Havasu, but normally spend a large amount of time there. Its basically the same letter, just tweaked a little about being a dual resindent.
Mayor Bob Whelan
Lake Havasu City Hall
2230 N. McCulloch Blvd.
Dear Mr. Whelan:
Over the past couple of years, the management and the staff have become increasingly rude to boaters and have conveyed an attitude of, “if you don’t like it, launch somewhere else.” In fact, I dare to say it’s to the point of harassment and borders on profiling. I have personally witnessed my friends’ boats being turned away at the gate for “not being the type of boat they [the management] want here.” Boaters are being told after they have paid and are attempting to launch that they are too big and need to leave the Marina and that they won’t be given a refund. I believe there is a pending litigation concerning harassment for this behavior.
4. Larger boats are churning up sediment and causing a shoal at the bottom or the ramp, requiring it to be dredged more often. Doesn’t the launch fee cover wear and tear mentioned in reasons 3 and 4?
5. The water level is too low. I have heard this reasoning after verifying “normal” water levels. What exactly is the “normal” water level and what would be considered dangerously below “normal”?
Another example of poor service in the eyes of many consumers is the “mandated” 3 day pass on holiday or “big” weekends. Many people took Good Friday off and many others didn’t, and the Marina still required all users to purchase a 3-day pass. I know many who tried to buy a day pass on Saturday and were refused. Is that legal? If I go to Disneyland and want to buy a “discounted” ticket for a 3-day pass, they will sell it to me, but if I want a full admission day pass at the full price for 1 day no one is going to say, “No, you have to buy a 3-day pass.” Disneyland would get sued instantly and be the lead story at 11:00.
Some may try to say that I am just another “big boat” guy from California that comes to Lake Havasu on the weekend, wreaks havoc and goes home on Sunday. This is not the case. Yes, I do live and work in California. However, I spend nearly 40 – 45 weekends a year in Lake Havasu City. I have my vessel is registered in AZ and I, as many others do, invest substantially in the local economy. Many of us are tired of the attitude and poor service offered by the LHC Marina. Unfortunately, it is the best launch facility in town, thus I am seeking a solution other than taking my business elsewhere.
I know the LHC community is aware of the impact boating tourism brings to the city and how far reaching the attitude of the few can reflect on the whole. I thoroughly enjoy Lake Havasu and want to see it continue to grow; however, attitudes similar to this are detrimental to the city and its economy. The tourists’ are taking this seriously, and we ask that the council does as well.
Sincerely,

TCHB
05-01-2003, 09:10 PM
I posted this on the Havasu News a minute ago. Lets all keep tight on this issue. Do not spend money at the Marina>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2003, 09:16 PM
playdeep:
BTW,Havacig,we were anchored about 20 yards away from you guys Sat. at the sandbar (red/white Eliminator Eagle,blue/white Fountain)..The pictures of your boat don't do it justice,that thing is sweeeet. Small sandbar...I too saw the Havasu Cigs pull up & anchor on Saturday...the "Smoking Gun" is looking good!
I guess one of the drawbacks to the bigger boat is having to swim 50 yards or so to get to the beach...maybe you guys need a tender?
I was standing next to the guys with the R/C boats...

Havasu Cig
05-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Jim,
The letter looks good...
HH,
I thought that boat was going to start a fight. I was standing next to the DSM Baja when it went into the crowd of people. I was glad to see it did not come to that.
You should have said something as well. We walked around looking for people that we knew, and found a few.
As far as anchoring, we could have pulled up into shallower water but we had our last DCB stuck on the Sandbar once and that was enough. The TG would be a real bitch to get off!!
My other 1/2 is going to check my punctuation :D and then the letter is off. Word of mouth in the channel will go along way as well!!

SCUBA STEVE
05-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Hey guys, I dont have any issues with the marina, (small boat) but I just wanted to say you have my support. I'll be launching at crazyhorse, or windsor next time out. Good luck and I hope things change, sooner or later I might venture into the big boat world.

Baby Doll
05-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Help!! I'm trying to print the letter and I can't. I need to go to the Chamber to pick some stuff up and I thought I'd drop a letter off at the same time. Maybe I can get someone to read it b4 Sat. and let them know what the majority is saying. Most of the council members boat, too. What someone really needs to do is go to the next Chamber mixer (May 16 @ Avi) and pass out flyers there and let people know how the majority feel. Just an idea. :p

Havasu Hangin'
05-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Havasu Cig:
I thought that boat was going to start a fight. I was standing next to the DSM Baja when it went into the crowd of people. I was glad to see it did not come to that.Yeah...that was a bad situation. What are the odds? The boat goes out of control...and heads directly into where the crowd was.
Looked like the battery popped out that controls the servos onboard...no control after that.
Havasu Cig:
You should have said something as well. We walked around looking for people that we knew, and found a few.I hear ya...I found Rivercrazy and jm2drvr, along with the usual cast of characters.
Havasu Cig:
As far as anchoring...the TG would be a real bitch to get off!!How many guys do you think we would need to get the Cig off the sandbar? I'd better get to the gym...

Keith E. Sayre
05-03-2003, 11:33 AM
In response to Havasu Cigs question about the boat
manufacturers and their opinions. We all unitedly
think that the marina is run like a joke. I would
encourage everyone to send a letter to Don Clark
who is one of the councilmen on the list that was
provided. I sold him a boat years ago and he is the only one on that list that goes to the lake
regularly. He recently retired last year after 30 years in the marines and he's like us, he loves boating and to heck with the politics. I think he would be our ally in this situation.
Also he is a new real estate agent and doesn't want any of us looking for a home in another city. Then Bob Whelan, the mayor who owns Campbell Boats ought to have some interest here too. The rest of them I don't know and I don't think they boat or care to be involved.
Good luck! I think we owe it to ourselves to straighten this marina out! Ironically, the owner--Mr. Mcculloch may not even be aware of the problem?
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

BoatFloating
05-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Havasu Hangin':
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Cig:
[qb] I thought that boat was going to start a fight. I was standing next to the DSM Baja when it went into the crowd of people. I was glad to see it did not come to that.Yeah...that was a bad situation. What are the odds? The boat goes out of control...and heads directly into where the crowd was.
Looked like the battery popped out that controls the servos onboard...no control after that.
HH, that boat of yours if it was yours, hit my buddies wife in the ankle, pretty much ruined her weekend. I'm not sure how she is now but she spent all Saturday night in the hotel room, top it all off it was her birthday and wanted to go dancing that night. What are the odds? I'll tell you, pretty good some one would get hurt. It was pretty stupid to run that big boat around with that many people there. Next time hop on a Sea Doo and do 70mph thru Sandbar and see if someone gets hurt. Do me a favor and use your brain next time, please. :confused:
[ May 03, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: BoatFloating ]

bordsmnj
05-03-2003, 09:46 PM
well now, whats this i hear about someone running across the sandbar? jawdrop nevermind i don't even wanna know. I wish the birthday wife with the messed up ankle a speedy recovery.that just plain sucks.
I will not be luanching(or anything else) from that marina after reading this thread. i only have a twenty one foot but i will own a home out there some day.Needles/Havasu springs here i come-with friends and money :D

Essex502
05-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Let's not hijack the thread...back to the top.

FastTimmy
05-04-2003, 11:22 PM
They will not get any more of my money till things get straightend out!
devil

gmnhra
05-05-2003, 11:02 AM
just an fyi...i had emailed and snail mailed anyone in the city i could get an address on and just received this via email:
Gary,
It is with deep regret that I tell you that there is nothing that this
department can do regarding this problem. I do know, however, that if this
public agency acted in an arbitrary manner toward the citizenry as indicted
in your email someone would be fired and a total positive attitude
adjustment would be formulated.
Site Six (operated by the City) and Windsor Beach (operated by AZ State
Parks) are alternative public launch ramps available for boaters but these
probably do not have the amenities the boaters like yourself need.
Lake Havasu City is vigorously pursuing with the Bureau of Land Management,
Arizona State Parks and the Arizona Department of Land Management for an
area to build another public mainland marina, but government agencies work
slowly, especially when the number of agencies increase.
The situation is something our City Council and city manager need to be
aware of because, as you have stated, we are dependent on the revenues from
the boating public our facility improvements.
I hope there is a positive solution to this situation because both the
boaters and the City suffer.
Bill Mulcahy
Parks & Recreation Director
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gary Mocnik [SMTP:GMocnik@REFRACTEC.COM]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 2:14 PM
> To: ParksnRec@ci.lake-havasu-city.az.us
> Subject: lake havasu marina

MissHavasuCig
05-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Very interesting response you got GMNHRA!!! Good Job :cool:
Letters are going out on HavasuCig's behalf today to:
* DON CLARK
* BOB WHELAN
* LAKE HAVASU AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
* BRUCE WILLIAMS, CITY MANAGER
* RICHARD McCULLOCH
* LAKE HAVASU MARINA
* NAUTICAL INN RESORT
The same letters with my name will go out in a couple of days ~ so they don't see the same exact letters the same day wink
** Let's keep it going folks and hopefully we can have an impact for the better! **

Floatin'
05-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Ziggy
lots of flyers handed to as many boaters throughout the Channal, Copper, Sandbar, etc. detailing the reason for the boycott and where to sign petitions or get more invovled. The more people learn of this injustice the more that will stand up for equality..
Think that would really get the marinas attention?
I for one will not patronize the LHC Marina in any fashion. [/QB]I was thinking the same thing about the flyers. This past weekend we stayed at the Holiday Inn and there were a lot of eliminator boats parked around and all the trucks had LHM passes on them. I usually get up early and walk over to Uncle Kennys for breakfast and could have easily hit all the motel parking lots in the area

Havasu Cig
05-06-2003, 07:18 AM
If you look at the post "sinking cat" you will see a good reason why we need a protected ramp like the Marina. This is not the first boat to have sunken at Windsor trying to get onto the trailer.

Laveyman
05-06-2003, 07:22 AM
I sent out my letters on Saturday to:
Bob Whelan
Mr McCullogh
Chamber of Commerce
Come on folks lets get mailing! If they only get a handful of letter they will write it off as a few disgruntled boaters. Numbers guys, numbers!!!

BP1330
05-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Do you have an e-mail address for any of these people? I am sure we could flood them.

Havasu Cig
05-06-2003, 08:02 AM
kathy@havasuchamber.com is the only e-mail adress I found. if you go to page two of this thread you will see other real addresses for regular mail.

91nordic29
05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
for all you going outthis weekend, please remember what was discussed here. :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2003, 01:55 PM
BoatFloating:
HH, that boat of yours if it was yours, hit my buddies wife in the ankle, pretty much ruined her weekend. I'm not sure how she is now but she spent all Saturday night in the hotel room, top it all off it was her birthday and wanted to go dancing that night. No, it wasn't my boat.
BoatFloating:
What are the odds? I'll tell you, pretty good some one would get hurt.Not sure about that- I see people out there almost every weekend with them...I just happened to be standing next to the guys.
I'm pretty sure it was an accident...I mean, I don't think there weren't any explosives or sharp objects attached to it.
The funny thing is that the guys who had the boat went over and apologized...and "your buddy" seemed to accept it at the time.
Of course, everyone has the right to whine about it on an internet message board after they accepted the apology...the question is...why?
Do you still whine about getting hit in dodgeball in 3rd grade? The odds were pretty good you were going to get hurt...so the question is...why did you do it?
Do me a favor and use your brain next time.

BoatFloating
05-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Havasu Hangin':
BoatFloating:
HH, that boat of yours if it was yours, hit my buddies wife in the ankle, pretty much ruined her weekend. I'm not sure how she is now but she spent all Saturday night in the hotel room, top it all off it was her birthday and wanted to go dancing that night. No, it wasn't my boat.
BoatFloating:
What are the odds? I'll tell you, pretty good some one would get hurt.Not sure about that- I see people out there almost every weekend with them...I just happened to be standing next to the guys.
I'm pretty sure it was an accident...I mean, I don't think there weren't any explosives or sharp objects attached to it.
The funny thing is that the guys who had the boat went over and apologized...and "your buddy" seemed to accept it at the time.
Of course, everyone has the right to whine about it on an internet message board after they accepted the apology...the question is...why?
Do you still whine about getting hit in dodgeball in 3rd grade? The odds were pretty good you were going to get hurt...so the question is...why did you do it?
Do me a favor and use your brain next time. HH, you just don't get it do you? It must of been you that I hit in the 3rd grade with the dodge ball, here is a hint, don't let ball hit you in the head.
I asked if the boat was yours, because I wasn't sure. Just because guys are out there every weekend running them doesn't mean that it's a good thing. I tell you if that boat hit my boy that boat would be up someones ass, accident or not.....
As for whining, call it what you will, I was just trying to point out that we knew it was a accident, but actions of someone can ruin a persons weekend accident or not. Just like a drunk who crashes into your boat, but oh! it's only a accident.....
So take a chill pill and dodge the ball!

Havasu Hangin'
05-09-2003, 04:02 AM
BoatFloating:
I asked if the boat was yours, because I wasn't sure.Nope...not mine.
BoatFloating:
I tell you if that boat hit my boy that boat would be up someones ass, accident or not.....I'm sure we would all handle it differently. I wasn't driving, it's not my boat, and I didn't get hit, so I'll hold my "what if's" until it actually happens.
Being a tough guy on a message board on things that didn't happen to me is not my style.
So I guess if one of those boats hits you next time (and tears your new pretty skirt)...then you can whine all you want.
BoatFloating:
As for whining, call it what you will, I was just trying to point out that we knew it was a accident, but actions of someone can ruin a persons weekend accident or not. Just like a drunk who crashes into your boat, but oh! it's only a accident.....Agreed. But we all take chances out there. Shit happens...and accidents will happen. I personally take more chances riding in the big boats...but I do that anyway (and they can hurt you alot worse than the little boats).
Apologies were made, the guy returned the boat...and nothing further was said. To me, that seems like the end of it...unless you want to start an "anti-R/C" boating campaign...is that what your saying?
BoatFloating:
So take a chill pill and dodge the ball! I did dodge the ball. Maybe you should have been a little quicker...then the dain bramage wouldn't have made you ride the short bus all those years.

BoatFloating
05-09-2003, 06:34 AM
see below, just trying to increase post total..
[ May 09, 2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: BoatFloating ]

BoatFloating
05-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Ditto
[ May 09, 2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: BoatFloating ]

BoatFloating
05-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Havasu Hangin':
[QUOTE]Being a tough guy on a message board on things that didn't happen to me is not my styleSure sounds like your trying to be a tough guy behind keyboard. You are starting shit and talking shit. So if you want talk shit I'm game.
[b] So I guess if one of those boats hits you next time (and tears your new pretty skirt)...then you can whine all you want.After it tears my skirt, I'll give back to your wife, since she left it in my truck.
[b] Apologies were made, the guy returned the boat...and nothing further was said. To me, that seems like the end of it...unless you want to start an "anti-R/C" boating campaign...is that what your saying?Apologies were made yes, I was trying to point out was, that boat could have real hurt somebody smaller, accident or not. Something you really don't seem to care about or get. I'm not anti-anything, people have rights do things they want, but when in injuries someone else, then their rights are being lost. If you want to ride in big fast boats and feel like your living on the edge, ooh! you daredevil, that's your choice, but when I go to sandbar I would hope the guy who owned that boat would think about the chances of hitting someone.
Maybe your thinking it's ok that that R.C. boat hit somebody, because it's faster and better looking than yours.
[b] I did dodge the ball. Maybe you should have been a little quicker...then the dain bramage wouldn't have made you ride the short bus all those years. At least I went to school, instead of being home schooled in the trailer park. The police just called and said your house is doubled parked.
So if you want to continue to battle over a incident that wasn't your deal then start typing. I'm sorry if I thought the boat was yours, it sounded like it was yours and you had the attitude of, oh well what's the chances of someone getting hit, no big deal I said I was sorry. I don't have a problem with the accident and I know the guy was sorry, I'm just trying to have it not happen again, that's all.
I'm on way to river to picket Lake Havasu Marine, because they let R.C. boats launch there.
[ May 09, 2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: BoatFloating ]

Essex502
05-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Take it outside, please.

Havasu Hangin'
05-09-2003, 09:37 AM
BoatFloating:
Sure sounds like your trying to be a tough guy behind keyboard.Tough guy? Me? Naw...just "using my brain".
BoatFloating:
Apologies were made yes, I was trying to point out was, that boat could have real hurt somebody smaller, accident or not. Yeah...it seemed like you guys were holding the "Oompa Loompa look-a-like contest" over there...must have scared you real bad seeing a "life-sized boat" coming toward you....
BoatFloating:
So if you want to continue to battle over a incident that wasn't your deal then start typing.Go read your first post...I believe it was you that told me to "use my brain" over an incident I had nothing to do with...
Now who needs to chill?
BoatFloating:
...I know the guy was sorry, I'm just trying to have it not happen again, that's all...OK..."Captain Sandbar"...put your "Superman Underoos" on and I'll see you around...keep defending all us innocent bystanders from those big, bad R/C vehicles...
Havasu Marina would make them buy a three day pass...

91nordic29
05-09-2003, 10:36 AM
TEEE HEEEE!

BoatFloating
05-09-2003, 11:08 AM
RD, that's a pretty good letter with one hand.
[ May 09, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: BoatFloating ]

BoatFloating
05-09-2003, 11:35 AM
[b] Yeah...it seemed like you guys were holding the "Oompa Loompa look-a-like contest" over there...must have scared you real bad seeing a "life-sized boat" coming toward you...I think that movie and your boat have something in common, they're both from the same era. What scares me is seeing the money you dropped into that boat of yours, now, that's scary.
[b] Go read your first post...I believe it was you that told me to "use my brain" over an incident I had nothing to do with...Once again your reading retention shows, My quote was "If it was your boat" So if it wasn't your boat then that's all you needed to say. The difference was it was my friend who got hurt. So about now, I think it's time for you to go moderate the test forums or something constructive, because you don't know the real story of that day.
I also boycott Havasu Marine, just to keep us on topic.......

6 Dollar Boat
05-09-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty sure it was an accident...I mean, I don't think there weren't any explosives or sharp objects attached to it. .
The funny thing is that the guys who had the boat went over and apologized...and "your buddy" seemed to accept it at the time
HH, I was 15 ft. from the girl that got hit by the R/C boat. Sharp objects? Did you see the rudders on that thing, they were like rasorblades and the bow was like a spear. The guy who owned the boat was nowhere to be found. My buddy had to drag that "toy" 100 yards to find the owner. If the owner of the toy was really sorry it seems like he would have walked over to appologize to the girl who was injured. Get over your personal jabs at BF, lets get back to the boycott, I am still spreading the word...

Havasu Hangin'
05-09-2003, 02:15 PM
6 Dollar Boat:
HH, I was 15 ft. from the girl that got hit by the R/C boat. So you were in the "Oompa Loompa look-a-like Contest" as well?
6 Dollar Boat:
Sharp objects? Did you see the rudders on that thing, they were like rasorblades and the bow was like a spear.I meant that he didn't tape an razor blades on the front on it...anticipating that he'll purposely run it into the crowd.
I wouldn't classify you as a sharp object, either.
6 Dollar Boat:
The guy who owned the boat was nowhere to be found. My buddy had to drag that "toy" 100 yards to find the owner. If the owner of the toy was really sorry it seems like he would have walked over to appologize to the girl who was injured.Well...I'm not going to defend him, but it was a very long walk, that he started almost immediately after the boat took off...your fellow "Oompa Loompa" buddy had trouble wading through that ankle-deep water (it was up to his chest)...I did see him come over.
6 Dollar Boat:
Get over your personal jabs at BF...Nothing personal (at least I didn't mention his wife)...he should know by now that I'm just messin' with him...like shootin' Oompa Loompas in a barrel.
Havasu Marina supports terrorists.

Tom Brown
05-09-2003, 03:11 PM
I thought my shit bags and lighter fluid idea would go over better. :confused:

hot_diggity_dog
05-11-2003, 08:53 PM
OK I did my part on Saturday and Sunday. :confused: argue :confused:
I launched out of Windsor around 10:30 lot was getting full, so we parked in Overflow, no Problem. wink
Sunday same thing parked 4-5 rows back in the front main lot. :D
HDD :cool:

Laveyman
05-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Be careful when sending off your letters. There are two different addresses posted here for LHC City Hall.
2230 N. McCulloch Blvd (The WRONG one)
2330 McCulloch Blvd N. (The RIGHT one)
I sent mine to the first one and got it sent back. Also, the P.O. Box 788 address for Richard McCulloch is incorrect. It too got sent back. :confused: Anyone got a better address for him???

Havasu Cig
05-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Try this for McCullough: 4076 Cherry Tree Place, Lake Havasu City AZ. 86406.
I drove by the Marina on Sunday and the lot was fairly empty. I did not make it to the water at all so I don't know what the traffic was like on the lake. Hopefully we made some type of impact :confused:

Laveyman
05-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks Chris. is this his home address?
I love the half-empty lot!

summerlove
05-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey RD; Nice letter. Did you write that all by yourself, or did you have help?I think you must have had help, because we all know you can't type - at least not since you tried to kill some 10 year-old kid who threw a water baloon at you. That kid is probably still laughing and telling his classmates at 29 Palms Trailer Park Elementary that a 30+ something guy came chasing after him and that he kicked his ass! ;-))
Also, I didn't think you went to Havasu "almost" every weekend - I thought you were a Parker guy? Oh well, I guess I've missed you there. Next time, stop by and say hi! SL

Havasu Cig
05-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Supposed to be his house in Havasu. I wonder how often he is there though :rolleyes:
[ May 12, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

hot_diggity_dog
05-20-2003, 07:37 AM
Is the boycott still on? :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad:
How many of you will not launch there?
:confused:
HDD :cool:

Havasu Cig
05-20-2003, 08:56 AM
It is still on as far as I am concerned. I sent the letters off, but no replies yet.

Essex502
05-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Not launch. Not buy gas. Not buy supplies.

Jrocket
05-20-2003, 05:38 PM
Havasu Springs for me...... :D

mbrown2
05-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Jrocket:
Havasu Springs for me...... :D Ditto

mbrown2
05-20-2003, 05:42 PM
JRocket, you gonna be in Parker this weekend?

Skullinator
05-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Just going to throw my .02 cents in here on the RC Boat Issue. BF your right the guy who thought it was going to make him look cool for driving his 350.00 plastic missel around a crowd of people was stupid,if not reckless. I also saw the rudders on that thing and they could have easily done more damage than they did and thank god they didn't. As for HH standing up for this stupid act.Well that's his choice. I also think the guy with the boat will not to run that thing around a crowd but that is just an assumtion So in short two thumbs up to BF and to down to HH.
As for the marina i have not spent one dollar there and do not plan on even taking people there for any reason. Even if i run out of beer and smokes i refuse to help anyone that can not help themselves. In short go there and your a loser. :)

Jrocket
05-21-2003, 02:57 PM
mbrown2:
JRocket, you gonna be in Parker this weekend? Oh you bet I will...unless work bones me AGAIN!!!

Essex502
06-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Well, at last some response from Lake Havasu City officials on our difficulties.
I received the following letter today:
Thank you for your letter concerning the Lake Havasu Marina. Although I appreciate your concerns, the Marina is a private business and the City has no jurisdiction over the issues you describe.
I have forwarded your letter to the Lake Havasu Tourism Bureau. They are the right agency to work with the Marina in an effort to resolve these problems.
Thank you again for your letter.
Sincerely,
Bob Whelan
Mayor
The letter has hand signed by Mayor Whelan. At least someone has responded.
Let's get the group to now send more letters to Lake Havasu Tourism Bureau. Mine will be in tomorrow's mail.

Essex502
06-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Back to the top

Backfire
06-08-2003, 05:27 PM
I live here in Havasu and even have a friend that works in the repair shop at the marina. The troll at the gatehouse insisted that I buy a 3 day pass on the Friday of memorial and when I claimed to be a local only checkin things out on that Friday he wanted to argue with me cause of the CA tags on my boat (look at the burb or trailer tags asshole or, here's my license) They micromanage the lanes and do get short with people!
While I personally think those big boats belong in the ocean and believe the local PD shows no backbone for not enforcing the 35' length limit in the channel, it's not LHM's place to be arbitrarily enforcing their likes and dislikes on the general public. I will tell you that when one of your big boats finally backs off the trailer and turns around that the whole width of the water is blocked temporarily and perhaps the marina believes the tow vehicle take up too much space. Since your big boats seem to be the ones slurping up the marina's overpriced gas, I can't understand why they wouldn't PREFER and readily accomodate the big stuff. I'm going to call the local newspaper and tip them to the existence of this thread asap

RiverForUs
06-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Backfire:
....it's not LHM's place to be arbitrarily enforcing their likes and dislikes on the general publicWell, I'd think if it's a private marina then it sure is.
If it's public or government run, then you're absolutely right!

Backfire
06-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Yeah, it is a private enterprise, HOWEVER, The agreement by which they are the exclusive marina is supposed to be conditional on their ability and willingness to provide for all the required marina needs of the community. This makes them sorta like a Utility company, in that they MUST provide required services to all in exchange for exclusivity, or allow other providers into the market! I think I'm going to find out if this is a BLM lease or some kind of grandfathered agreement from the city's incorporation, and whether, and to what extent it can be enforced!

Jrocket
06-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Show the newspaper this thread,Im curious what they will do... :D

Backfire
06-09-2003, 07:19 PM
I talked to a reporter today at "Today's News Herald" who identified himself as "Joe" and tipped him to this thread, including the replies from the mayor, conquest, and Parks dept. I told him about the 3-day-pass complaints, and he told me of another variation that's going to be in tommorrow's "letters" column. A local wrote to complain that he/she purposely bought a five day pass on Memorial Thursday to gaurantee access and was denied entry or a refund on one of the later days because the marina was "sold out"!
Those of you that feel strongly about this issue need to keep this thread on page one!

race1jeep
06-09-2003, 08:43 PM
River Dave:
I have a meeting June 24 with the Havasu City and Mohave County council along with (1) AZ State Rep. I would be more than willing, and if you do not mind,would like to submit your letter to the council explaining what is taking place here at the Marina.
The Marina issue is not on the agenda, but since the AZ Rep and his 2 aids are also going out on the boat with me after this meeting for the day, I will at least give it a shot.I might not be able to make this an agenda item, but I can at least make sure some body on the council knows what is taking place.
Let me know if I can use the letter that you drafted.
Thanks,
Rex

Havasu Cig
06-10-2003, 07:25 AM
We drove up to the Marina this last weekend and I asked the attendant what the maximum length was to launch there (we did not have our boat with us). He pointed to a sign that stated maximum length 36' and over 30' must use lane 7.
He then stated that it was not "the size of the boats, but the idiots behind the wheel". I took this as meaning that everybody with boats bigger than 36' are idiots. Nice attitude :rolleyes:
It is interesting that you can call or drive over ther and you will get different answers every time.
Try calling the Marina and see what they tell you.

HavasuDreamin'
06-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Just a heads up...........Bob Brown who always writes a great editorial in Hot Boat Mag. has noticed the problems with the LHC Marina as well. Apparently he mentioned some less that pleasurable experiences (noise & boat length) with the marina a couple of months ago in his article. In the most recent issue, he mentions receiving a fax from the marina. The fax indicated that no boats over 36' will be allowed to launch and that boats between 30' and 36' will be required to use lane 7. He ends the topic by saying that people may want to use site six or windsor.
Personally..........I think it is great that the marina is getting a bunch of negative press. The more the better! :cool:
[ June 13, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

MissHavasuCig
06-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Great News about the ***boat article HD!!!
We also got our letter from the Mayor and he forwarded our concerns to the Tourism Bureau...

Essex502
06-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Maybe we need to get a new set of letters out to the bureau of Tourism now asking what they propose to do about the issues we brought up. While the marina is privately owned is the land also privately owned or leased? What concession contracts if any are involved?

Rexone
11-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Just bumping this old thread that started back in april. Seems folks still are having the same issues and writing about the same complaints in the newer thread on this subject. Seems to me some continue to spend money there and just support the agenda they have going on. If the revenue stream dried up in terms of launching and gas sales etc, things would probably change. Just an observation.

Dr. Eagle
11-09-2003, 11:25 PM
It is amazing the stories I am reading between this thread from months ago and the other ones I have read more recently. I usually make one or two trips down there to Havasu annually, but I have never done business with the Marina. I sometimes stay at Havasu Landing and I have stayed at Nautical (horror stories from there too) but I certanly don't plan to do business with the marina there if I can plan around it.
These guys sound like a ripe target for a boycott. I usually get my fuel from one of the gas stations up the hill from the bridge, but I have forgotten, is there a place in town to buy it on the water other than the marina, or do you have to go to Havasu Landing?

Essex502
11-10-2003, 06:39 AM
The Indian Casino right across the lake from the Island...I don't remember what it is called but it's on the Calif. side of the lake. You can't miss it. Cheaper too!

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
The Indian Casino right across the lake from the Island...I don't remember what it is called but it's on the Calif. side of the lake. You can't miss it. Cheaper too!
Yeah, that is Havasu Landing...I rent places there on occasion...It also has a private launch ramp and is less harried than the others in Havasu...

Ducatista
11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
You can get gas down at Havasu Springs past the dam, or up river at Moabi/topock areas also, if your on the water. Any where but the Marina will do, I gladly pay a little more if necessary than to patronize the Marina, they don't deserve our business.

Dr. Eagle
11-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Yeah, it sounds like with their attitude, they don't deserve anyones business...
:eek: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
I won't patronize them, after hearing all of these stories...

Back To Havasu
11-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Just my $.02 as a former City Attorney. You guys might be letting the Mayor off too easily. He and the City Council decide who makes money in that town, like every city. He and the council and the city departments can exercise more pressure on an undesirable franchisee or business to a greater extent than any "tourism bureau," which basically can only ask the marina to be respectful of your concerns. Don't let Whelan and his cronies side step their responsibilities to the public. If pressure is kept on the Mayor and City Council long enough, they will exert it on the Marina to clean up their act. That's how it works in the public sector.:mad:

PerfectionDtail
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Has anything ever come from all of this?????
What has happened since from the Mayor and owner?

Essex502
04-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Nope!

91nordic29
04-01-2004, 02:34 PM
are they still acting like morons?

HavasuHome
04-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Had two problems in last month. One they said my 525 was too loud in the marina. Of course we were the only boat in the marina besides a police patrol boat, who btw said nothing. The second time occured this last weekend when the guy at the ticket booth took a long hard look at my boat before he would let us in. It was only after I told him it was only 29 feet that he "gladly" took my money. They also had a note posted on the ticket booth saying no boats over 30' allowed.

dicudmore
04-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Shame they are such a-holes.
Don't know where I'll launch my 29. Not very fond of Windsor from what I remember before. Very short turn around aka nowhere near enough room to pull the truck straight before backing down. Marina actually a nice ramp area but crappy dirt parking and crappy people. Got into it with the old traffic cop there a few times while I was the only trailer getting ready to launch, NO line.....

DeltaSigBoater
04-01-2004, 10:53 PM
all i gotta say is
"THANKS MTV!!!" :mad:

Quality Time
04-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks MTV:confused: I read the other thread, but how do you make a correlation between dipstick Marina operators and a televised Spring Break.

jackpunx
04-02-2004, 08:24 AM
I was there over spring break.. My boat is pretty loud.. I pulled in with one of the cops.. we both got gas and he complimented my boat.. as I went inside the old man was talking to someone about all these dam loud boats and how they weren’t going to launch from his ramp.. I kept quiet and left.. The only thing they have going for them is convenience.. I would have gladly gone somewhere else.. but not worth running out of gas..

Liquid Courage
04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
The marina is still F*cked. They are still on a mission to ban loud/large boats. I won't launch there and the people that commited to boycotting the marina last year should continue. With the poker run coming up in a few weeks I sent out email and put a post up on the SCOPE members site letting the SCOPE group know they will probably not be wanted at the main marina.
The SCOPE group brings ALOT of coin into havasu and if they boycott the ramp it will hurt. We'll see how it all works out but for now I wont get gas, food or launch at that marina.
Tank

Havasu Cig
04-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey Tank, whats up???
Kind of funny how now the size has dropped from 36' to 30'. Maybe it will effect a few more people now. I still refuse to use any of their facilites or buy any products including fuel from them.
As far as the Cities response, they said there was nothing they could do about it. I also wrote letters the the owner of the Marina, and got no response. He has enough money, so I doubt he cares.:mad:

Liquid Courage
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
What's up bro!? You guys going to be out there on the 24th? We're heading out Thurs a.m. staying till mon.
Dude, F'em if they don't like bigger boats. It's the trend and the more they refuse the less they get. Windsor is fine and I wouldn't doubt you could launch at site 6 even! Kevin and I launched his Cafe Racer a bunch of times there. I know the turn is tight but there was plenty of room. Your rig would make it.;)
Hope to see you out there. Tell everyone we say hello. By the way, I'm looking at guns;) ;)
Tank

LakeRacer
04-02-2004, 02:10 PM
they said they were going to dredge the marina ramp area because of the shoal that is being created. I guess that never happened.
The only thing I use the marina for is to pump out the head on my boat.

Havasu Cig
04-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Hopefully we will be out there. I just had surgery, but we are still planning on going. I might be running out to check on our house this weekend without the boat, not sure yet.
Any specific "Gun" you you are looking at? We love our's, you can't go wrong with a Cig.
Hope to see you guys out there.:cool:

RiverPirate
04-03-2004, 12:09 AM
I quit using the Marina years ago for a variety of reasons not the least of which is they are making some serious bank and that money isn't going back into the parking situation. I think they hire the grumpy old Bastards that are trained down the street at the Islander. I've been kicked out there too many times. They seem to have that same lack of personality.

TCHB
04-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Keep our cash out of the Marina!!!!!!!

htm632
04-16-2004, 09:05 AM
(note: this is also posted as a separate thread)
I have been a member of Lake Havasu Marina for five years, and until two weeks ago, I had two permanent slips that I waited for a long period of time to have.
Having a second home in Lake Havasu, I use these slips frequently. I have two boats at this time, a new 30' boat and a 23' Chaparral deck boat.
I was terminated by the marina two weeks ago. After having several conversations with the managing staff at Lake Havasu Marina and getting verbal approval to moor my new boat in my existing slip until a slip became available that would accommodate my 30' boat, I was told that I was number one or two on the waiting list after waiting 8 months. I frequently boat on the weekends in Lake Havasu. Making arrangements with the Lake Havasu Marina staff, knowing them well because I have been a member there for 5 years, it was indicated to me that I would be able to put my 30 foot boat in slip that I had, which happens to be in an extra wide waterway. That worked for one night until Jeff Bekkedahl, the marina manager happened to be walking the boat slips and saw my new boat in my existing slip. At that time, he locked the boat up to the docks. When I came down to remove the boat from the slip and put it on a trailer on a Sunday morning, I found that the boat was locked to the docks. I went to the office to find out why, and Jeff Bekkedahl came out screaming at the top of his lungs like I was some type of criminal, while waving his arms and demeaning me, indicating that I was not following the marina rules. Mind you, I pay the marina $325 per month for slip rentals and I have never been late in my payments in the last 5 years. I tried to indicate this to him several times during this confrontation, that.one of the main staff people at the marina had given me prior permission to temporarily moor my 30' while I was waiting for my spot on the waiting list to be open. He seemed to not care either way and terminated the use of both of my slips. After being there over 5 years and knowing the background, I try to be as elusive as possible. I launch my boat in the early morning or late evening to assure that there is no conflict with the marina. Although, there really never is any conflict except with Jeff. As everyone knows, he discriminates tremendously against any type of performance boaters. Since I have a second home in Havasu, my family uses our deck boat frequently in the Summer months.
During, this long screaming episode (mind you, all the screaming was done by Jeff, I was doing all the listening), I did have a close friend with me at this time that is in the legal profession. He was utterly amazed at Jeff's behavior.
On top of that, I had a custom set of Gatlin mufflers made that are over 20" long when I built my new 30' boat to ensure that this thing was as quiet as possible so that it would follow all marina rules. After his demeaning behavior and screaming, walking away saying that he would be sending me a termination letter, I was in awe wondering what I even did. You would have thought by his behavior that I had just run over his dog. After I returned to California, I thought this out and decided to write the marina a letter and try to solve the issue. I sent a certified letter to the marina, which was accepted, and I explained to him that I had been a member for 5 years, and have never had a late payment in those 5 years or been notified that I had violated any rules. I use their facilities for gas, ice and everything else that is needed. I asked in the letter why he was terminating me from not only the one slip with the "offending" boat, but from both slips. As you can imagine, there was no reply. Well, I guess I did get a reply, two days later, a termination letter with no explanation arrived saying that I was terminated from both slips and giving the date that I had to have my boats out by.
After this, my wife was so upset as well, and made several attempts by going to the marina, and Jeff was never there to speak with her. She also made several phone calls, and as you can imagine, he would never come to the phone. We did get a response from one member of the staff there that according to their contract, they did not have to give a reason as to termination, and then they promptly hung up on us. Nice way to treat a 5 year member.
I could probably add a lot more here, and at this point I will say that I have really been discriminated against, and I am going to move forward with legal action. If anyone out there has had the same issues and would like to join in on a class action suit against Jeff Bekkedahl, I would be more than happy to have you. I guess that I can invest my $350 a month and more to a legal firm if that is what it is going to take. I just don’t think that they treat people fairly. As I read through many of the postings here, I believe that it is definitely the "Good Ol' Boy Club" and if you are not in that club, you are not in that marina.
PS- I wonder if Richard McCulloch is aware of his manager's behavior. I would like to believe that a man of his status would never want someone like Jeff Bekkedahl running his marina. Two wrongs don’t make a right. You can make the marina as nice as you want, but if you don’t treat your customers in a respectful manner, I believe that is poor business for anyone. Please email me if you have any stories to share or if you have any interest in joining the suit.