I was skiing on the Parker Strip in '65

mike37
10-06-2002, 07:12 PM
cigarette1
you probably know this spot
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/bigbend.JPG

Havasu_Dreamin
10-06-2002, 07:20 PM
My dad used to ski on the Parker strip back in the early 60's.

Mike J.
10-06-2002, 08:03 PM
I remember Racing Motorcycles from the
Palm Springs area to Parker then water
skiing to cool off in the mid 60s to mid 70s.
Mike J. Viewfinders MC

boatnam2
10-06-2002, 08:34 PM
that spot is across from buckskin i think

cigarette1
10-07-2002, 12:25 PM
I can't place that picture. In '65, I was only 11 years old. And what went on between then and now, it's amazing that I can remember anything ;-)
In '65 I was skiing behind Dorsetts w/ Evinrudes.
By '70 I was skiing behind Stevens, Halletts, Sangers and Gaylords w/ Hemi's, BBF's and BBC's
It's been a while since the last time, at least 2 years ago, but, I can still get up on the first pull ... on a single.
G
[ October 07, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: cigarette1 ]

Back To Havasu
10-07-2002, 12:40 PM
I grew up on the Parker Strip in the 50s. Raced in the 1959 McCullough 100 mile outboard race in 1959 and 1960 at Site Six (site of future Lake Havasu City island), and spent mucho time on Havasu from 1959 to 1997. The way I remember, a fellow named Jim Dillon owned Site Six, which consisted of a campground, airstrip, launch ramp and general store, until he crashed his Cessna 182 into his own landing strip and killed himself. His estate then sold the property to McCullough and the rest, as they say, is history.
McCullough had a trio of DC6b prop passenger planes flying in tourists free from all over the country, sold them property, with big rebates if they developed within months of purchase. In 1964, with the help of a man named Charles Royale, Lake Havasu City was launched.

Boatcop
10-07-2002, 02:36 PM
The picture is looking from Buckskin Point across the river to the California side. What's now Echo Lodge would be just to the left of the picture.
I started coming to Parker in the mid '60s, and learned to ski behind a 18' Schuyster jet boat. My folks had a place at Jolly Knight. I learned to ride a dirt bike at what is now the back nine at Emerald Canyon Golf Course. They moved here full time in 1974, and I was stationed here with the Coast Guard from 1978-1981.I moved here full time in 1987 when I got off Active Duty.
Anyone know where I can get a copy of "Return of the Rebels"? It was a movie made out here in 1978 with Barbara Eden, Jamie Farr, and Patrick Swayze. We ran security for the film crew, and although I saw it on TV many years ago, I haven't been able to find a Video for my "River Collection".

79Hawaiian
10-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Anyone know where I can get a copy of "Return of the Rebels"? It was a movie made out here in 1978 with Barbara Eden, Jamie Farr, and Patrick Swayze. We ran security for the film crew, and although I saw it on TV many years ago, I haven't been able to find a Video for my "River Collection".[/QB]Unfortunately it is currently not in print. You can go to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com) to find anything and everything about almost every film ever produced.
Here is a link to the film you are talking about:
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0082990

boatnam2
10-07-2002, 05:00 PM
damm im good.

mike37
10-07-2002, 05:03 PM
hay Boatcop
The picture is looking from Buckskin Point across the river to the California side. What's now Echo Lodge would be just to the left of the picture my dad calls this spot big bend it was a privat camp ground i think
this pic was taken in about 1960
Im sure your right about the curent name
boatcop you give a lot of good info just wanted to say thanks

boatnam2
10-07-2002, 05:04 PM
buckskin is just to the right of the cliff.

Boatcop
10-07-2002, 06:23 PM
buckskin is just to the right of the cliff. The photo was taken from (What's now) Buckskin Park. Big Bend Resort is to the right of the cliff, just past "Rabbit Rock".
damm im good You're not that good. :D

RiverToysJas
10-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Perhaps that photo was taken on a Hollywood studio sound stage, just like the moon landing photos of a simular time period!!! Ever think of that? :p
J/K! RTJas :D
[ October 07, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

mike37
10-07-2002, 07:06 PM
RiverToysJas
Perhaps that photo was taken on a Hollywood studio sound stage, just like the moon landing photos of a simular time period!!! Ever think of that? I think it would be Easier to go to the river to take the pic
And I think my dad would now the difference
ThatÂ’s his boat at the bottom of the pic built it him self
Its good to see that there still Somme IM going to bring my dad back to the river when my new boat is Finnish
Hay boatcop do you know who shot JFK

mike37
10-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Its good to see that there still Somme old timers out there still some of you might have skied past my dad he built his owen skies to

Boatcop
10-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Hay boatcop do you know who shot JFK No one. It was all an act, set up by the same Hollywood guys who did that moon landing thing.
See, JFK was actually a Cyborg from the future. He was sent back in time to eliminate Marylin Monroe to keep her from taking over the country, which was Hollywood's plot from the beginning, to get one of their own running the Country. When he was discovered, they sent the Terminator (Lee Harvey Oswald) to prevent the Cyborg plot. After Oswald did the job, Jack Ruby did away with the terminator to prevent the whole scheme from unravelling. After MM couldn't get to JFK anymore, she went after Bobby (also a Cyborg) but he was done in by Sirhan-Sirhan (Terminator II). Monroe, despondent from the failed plot, took her own life.
Hollywood came up with plan "B" and began grooming (then) Democrat Ronald Reagan for the job. However, he thwarted the plan by converting to conservativism.
Hollywood, still undaunted called on the queen liberal bitch (Barbara Striesand) to pick the next successor, which would have been Bill Klinton. She would have ruled through him, since he was totally in awe of Striesand and all things Hollywood.
However, the future, seeing what was happening, sent in Terminator III. Assasination was out of the question, since Klinton was on the verge of confiscating all firearms in the country. So the 3rd Terminator (Monica Lewensky) came in and "blew him away" in another fashion.
And you all know what happened after that. :D

squirts
10-07-2002, 08:08 PM
Hey Boatcop where can I buy some of the stuff your smokin :)

77charger
10-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Boatcop:
Hay boatcop do you know who shot JFK No one. It was all an act, set up by the same Hollywood guys who did that moon landing thing.
See, JFK was actually a Cyborg from the future. He was sent back in time to eliminate Marylin Monroe to keep her from taking over the country, which was Hollywood's plot from the beginning, to get one of their own running the Country. When he was discovered, they sent the Terminator (Lee Harvey Oswald) to prevent the Cyborg plot. After Oswald did the job, Jack Ruby did away with the terminator to prevent the whole scheme from unravelling. After MM couldn't get to JFK anymore, she went after Bobby (also a Cyborg) but he was done in by Sirhan-Sirhan (Terminator II). Monroe, despondent from the failed plot, took her own life.
Hollywood came up with plan "B" and began grooming (then) Democrat Ronald Reagan for the job. However, he thwarted the plan by converting to conservativism.
Hollywood, still undaunted called on the queen liberal bitch (Barbara Striesand) to pick the next successor, which would have been Bill Klinton. She would have ruled through him, since he was totally in awe of Striesand and all things Hollywood.
However, the future, seeing what was happening, sent in Terminator III. Assasination was out of the question, since Klinton was on the verge of confiscating all firearms in the country. So the 3rd Terminator (Monica Lewensky) came in and "blew him away" in another fashion.
And you all know what happened after that. :D a creative boat cop here I just about laughed my ass off on that one.

mike37
10-08-2002, 05:14 AM
thats some funny sh...t
Boatcop it a multy talented guy

Pure Magic
10-08-2002, 06:24 AM
[ October 08, 2002, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Pure Magic ]

Pure Magic
10-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Back To Havasu:
I grew up on the Parker Strip in the 50s. Raced in the 1959 McCullough 100 mile outboard race in 1959 and 1960 at Site Six (site of future Lake Havasu City island), and spent mucho time on Havasu from 1959 to 1997. The way I remember, a fellow named Jim Dillon owned Site Six, which consisted of a campground, airstrip, launch ramp and general store, until he crashed his Cessna 182 into his own landing strip and killed himself. His estate then sold the property to McCullough and the rest, as they say, is history.
McCullough had a trio of DC6b prop passenger planes flying in tourists free from all over the country, sold them property, with big rebates if they developed within months of purchase. In 1964, with the help of a man named Charles Royale, Lake Havasu City was launched.The aircraft McCulloch flew were 049 Connies. I worked on them in 1964. Then we went to L188 Electras. I was with the Airline for 11 years.
I knew CV Woods and Bob Jr. I guess Richie still has something to do with the Marina.
Do you remember they bought out Scott Atwater and did testing at Sight6.
I wonder if any of the old McCulloch boats are still around.
The lady Bob Sr. was married to was from the Briggs family (Briggs and Straten.)

Back To Havasu
10-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Don't know what happened to the McCullough factory race hardware. However, some of the last of their factory outboard race drivers included Jack Oxley, Jack Ward, Danny Snead, and Bob McCullough Jr. If any of them can be located, they would likely know whee to find the race boats they equipped with "Flying Scotts" and "Royal Scotts." McCullough tested an experimental 120hp outboard at Site Six in the late 50s and early 60s, and the old television show "Route 66" filmed a thinly veiled episode about the engine titled "Go Read The River." The largest production Scott engine was I believe the 75hp 3 cylinder inline.

cigarette1
10-08-2002, 01:14 PM
mike37:
Its good to see that there still Somme old timers out there still some of you might have skied past my dad he built his owen skies toMy dad and his buddies used to make their own skis too ... That was until Taperflex came out with the concave bottom .... a major developement in water skis. I'd bet your dad probably knows of our crew.

mike37
10-08-2002, 06:07 PM
cigarette1
My dad and friends skied at marine stadium long beach
Had a house on the river Calif. side Indian land down from Parker sold it he regrets that now

old rigger
10-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Mike 37,
great pics!!
I don't have a scanner so I 'm trying to do this with my camera. They look a little fuzzy. Nothing worse than looking at someone elses home movies or pictures, but I chose these because of the back ground.
The first one is Easter 1963. That's me and my folks with our first boat, a 1961 Catalina Conquest. The guy that built them only built 15 or so, he was a fireman and did it on the side. He choose the name because he and his buddies used to race them in the Catilina ski race. This one was a '61 that dad bought new. The picture is taken on the beach of what would later become Laughlin, that's Bullhead City across the river.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/river_63.JPG
The next one was taken on the Bullhead side looking at the Laughlin side, 1967. Still got that old plywood ski out in the garage. Wish I had the plywood boat.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/river_'671.JPG[/IMG] (http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/river_'671.JPG)
Third pic was taken from Rivers Lodge looking to the AZ side, '65. That's a brand new 1965 Tahiti in the water. Again me and my folks. My dad with his Rat Fink hat and my mom wearing some kinda hat all the river moms used to make back then.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/river_lodge_'651.JPG[/IMG] (http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/river_lodge_'651.JPG)
[ October 09, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

old rigger
10-09-2002, 12:08 PM
well, I don't know why only one pic is showing. maybe someone can help me out here. Thanks.
Why is it if you click on the underlined part it will show the pic, but it wont't stay up?
God, I hate ****ing computers.
[ October 09, 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

RiverToysJas
10-09-2002, 12:32 PM
OR, make sure there's no spaces. Strange, those don't want to work right....
RTJas :D
[ October 09, 2002, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

diggler
10-09-2002, 12:35 PM
old rigger:
well, I don't know why only one pic is showing. maybe someone can help me out here. Thanks.
Why is it if you click on the underlined part it will show the pic, but it wont't stay up?
God, I hate ****ing computers.OldRigger, was this when you were known as YoungRigger? :)
I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the nameplate on the Tahiti, but I'll take some this evening!

superV
10-09-2002, 12:51 PM
[/img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/river_'67.JPG[img]

cigarette1
10-09-2002, 02:53 PM
mike37:
cigarette1
My dad and friends skied at marine stadium long beach
Had a house on the river Calif. side Indian land down from Parker sold it he regrets that nowMike,
We lost a lot of pics in a fire a few years ago but I do have some from the late 60's I'll have to dig out. When I post them, show your dad. I'm sure he'll remember seeing the guys around. You couldn't miss us. We were the only black skiers hangin' out at the river and Havasu in those days. We would always come out with at least 3-4 boats.
Our local skiing was at the Goldenshore ramp, over near the Queen Mary(long before the QM arrived). Are you sure about Marine Stadium ??? or was it Goldenshore???
[ October 09, 2002, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: cigarette1 ]

mike37
10-09-2002, 06:08 PM
cigarette1
I will ask him agan but im shur it was
Marine Stadium there was a skie jump skie clubs
would go there i will see if he has any pics of Marine Stadium
he has more of the river that are prity cool
old rigger
thats a good pic be nice to have that boat now
my dad talked about the Catalina boats
didint thay make a skie to ?

diggler
10-09-2002, 06:12 PM
OldRigger, I posted this on Banderlog also, but I wanted you to see it.... I traced the etching with a pencil so it stood out better for the picture... I'd really like to have you see the boat, are you up for this weekend? I believe Cas it putting something together...
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/serial_plate_2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/serial_plate_1.JPG

mike37
10-09-2002, 06:31 PM
dads river house calif side doun river from big bend
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/MDriverh.JPG

haulina29
10-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Boat cop dont you chase people on that river? that picture was taken from Big Bend not from Buckskin . When that photo was taken Buckskin was weeds look at the direction the boat faces and the relationship to the big rock . More bad info wich appears to be standard on ths forum .

haulina29
10-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Mike the park is still called Big Bend and it is on the California side ask your dad if he remebers Rosy Mitch

old rigger
10-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Mike37,
I don't know about the skis. I think this guy was a pretty small time boat builder, having built less than 20 boats. Could be though, stranger things have happened.
We use to go to marine stadium alot back then too, we lived in Lakewood which is just up the street. Still do go there now and then. Was just there last month running the howard flattie and pulling our son. I think everyone in so cal has skied there at least once. Hell, it's been there since the 30s.
Also use to go to Golden Shores a bunch when you could still ski up the LA river past the railroad bridge. It's all a trailer park type of thing now, over by the old launch ramp and they don't even bother to dredge the channel anymore. Too bad. Of course that water in the river's even nastier than it was back then, not sure I'd even go in there anymore.
How 'bout the hot water channel comming out of the power plant over in seal beach? We use to go in there and ski, but you had to get past the surfers and the waves to get in. Not an easy thing to do in a flat bottom. Especialy if you go in there in the morning and pull out in the afternoon when the swells have kicked up.
[ October 10, 2002, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

BK
10-10-2002, 05:20 AM
old rigger:
God, I hate ****ing computers.Here they are. I edited the photo names and hosted them for you. If you look at the one that showed up it doesnt have a ' in front of the year and the others do, so if you remove those ' it works. Very cool photos :)
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0LgDLDPQP1m0nEFXavtSOT99Qf0Qok2U2vBdLDLceZguol!aXi Mbg3cxRLA54JYmdUlPFjkGEpb4/river65.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0LgBuDPYPIm4nEFXavtSOT*OPGtWa*xXTytMh5ejdKa3Pm67qH 9uSITh1AAjcTWwyVV2Hc9TR1d0/river67.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0NAAAADASft3lZdvxMvaSY3U82utVMpBsF72EFrwpzMOsKsXdZ sPn7lqQWwqfRvd7eBfQGcDFVmgJ1euV6Harug/riverlodge651.jpg

BBTAHITI
10-10-2002, 05:58 AM
BK,
LOVE the ratfink hat! Very 60's. There's one thing that never changes, decade to decade.... the brat that tries to give everyone bunny ears! :D
BBT
"Been roosted?"
www.roostwear.com (http://www.roostwear.com)

old rigger
10-10-2002, 08:46 AM
BK,
thanks for posting those for me.
I even tried and reposted them on the forum page , but couldn't figure it out.
That pic of me, my dad and dog is also at Bullhead and that's a great shot of what Laughlin used to look like in the back ground.
Every Sunday, the dam was almost completly shut down and you could almost walk across the river. There was a very deep channel in the center that you had to swim across. Some of the guys that were unaware of this would wake up Sunday morning to find their boat high and dry and have to wait til monday to get it on the trailer and go home.
BBTahiti, you could be right about the brat and bunny ear thing. I haven't a clue what I was doing 'cept goofing off. Funny you mention that, my kids are always doing that to each other now.