PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lake closure, Times story...

Uplink
08-02-2003, 12:52 AM
This was in yesterday's LA Times...
:mad:
Castaic State Park May Close
By Richard Fausset
Times Staff Writer
August 1, 2003
With neither the state nor Los Angeles County stepping forward to pay operating costs, parks officials are reluctantly facing the reality that the popular Castaic Lake State Recreation Area may close indefinitely on Aug. 31 — the day before the crowded Labor Day holiday.
On Thursday, the county Parks and Recreation Department released a statement saying it appeared "ever more certain" that operation of Castaic Lake in north Los Angeles County would be transferred to the cash-strapped state, which thus far has not announced any plans to keep it open.
Although technically a state park, Castaic Lake has been run by the county since it opened in the early 1970s. But the county, facing a $4-million hole in its parks budget, announced this year that unless it received financial assistance from the state, it would turn Castaic's operations over to the state parks department.
California, meanwhile, is facing one of the worst budget deficits in decades.
On Thursday, state parks spokesman Roy Stearns said the state was "very disappointed" by the county's actions, noting that the county has a contract to operate the park until 2017. He also cited concerns about boaters and fishers who may show up at the lake on Labor Day expecting to get in.
"It's going to be a situation that could be ugly on that weekend," he said. "If the [county's] intention here is to push this issue into a small mushroom cloud, that's what may happen."
Another nearby park, the Placerita Canyon Natural Area, may also close Aug. 31 for the same financial reasons.
Stearns said state officials have begun discussing contingency plans for security at both parks if a solution is not reached.
LA Times story (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lake1aug01,1,1412946.story)

Rexone
08-02-2003, 03:30 AM
What that story does not state plainly is that this is the result of the "state's" budget shortfall as the state has always supplied the county with funds to run this and several other facilities. Those funds were withdrawn this year due to the large budget deficit. This is the result. Thanks again Mr Davis.

GOT WATER ??
08-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Nevermind, I was going to go off about Grey Dickhead Davis. But I just thought it was not worth it.
I will just make a plea.
Everyone in the L.A. & Bay area that put the dickhead in office. Please make a good choice. We have a chance to get the changes that we need to fix this mess. At this point I think that we need to clean out the House and Senate, Start over make them part time again. Then they would have to get real jobs, Just like us. Then maybe the lobbiest would go away. That would mean that jet skis would be allowed everywhere again. (Ok there is a down side) But what the hell we could make it open season on jet skis. I can see it now there would be jet boats everywhere. (I wonder if I can buy stock in Place)
Lets elect BOOZER Gov. and then we would not have to worry about him. (He would be chasing chicks) :p

mmered8299
08-02-2003, 07:37 PM
I use to ski at that lake every Sunday morning with my dad and brother and friends. We would be the firsts ones out. Its sad to hear this news. WTF is going on out their?

Moneypitt
08-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Gee, take a nice lake like that, ban alcohol, ban speed above 35 and enforce it like assholes, ban open exhaust and throw hot boaters out for noise, watch fishermen with spy glasses for the slightest rule violations, and basically throw the book at everyone you can, and then wonder why the lake can't support itself. It sure is a mystery for the ages.
Screw it!!!!

79Hawaiian
08-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Looks like the line at Pyramid is going to get a bit longer. Head out Thursday night to get on Saturday morning. F?ck!!! :mad:

Freak
08-03-2003, 04:31 AM
I say all hot boat members come together and purchase it. Think of that a private lake......

JustMVG
08-04-2003, 12:13 AM
It's sad to think that Castaic will close due to the budget crisis, and i am all for the recall, but the reality is that even if Pay davis is taken out , no matter who is going to take the office after him, things will not be getting better for the foreseeable future. Things will get worse before they get better, i feel sorry for the guy who gets Gray's job, hey maybe Ahhnald wasn't so dumb after all, he may end up the smartest guy in California, whoever takes over is going to be disliked no matter what he does. But if the job gets done and the bills paid , lakes are open , and the budget gets into a Surplus, then we'll all breathe a little easier. Mike VG

BIGAMIST
08-04-2003, 02:06 AM
If they're closing Castaic why are they doing so much construction? :confused: :confused:

Moneypitt
08-04-2003, 07:45 AM
They want everything to be just right for the "closing the lake" party for the employees!!

Jetdriver
08-04-2003, 08:43 AM
I have an idea! Lets all get together and purchase the lake from the state! LOL It would be cool to own your own lake but I know that you cant buy Castaic.

HM
08-04-2003, 09:52 AM
BIGAMIST:
If they're closing Castaic why are they doing so much construction? :confused: :confused: Don't you know that the "constuction" budget is entirely different from the "operating" budget? sheesh, why do you have throw common sense in a perfectly good political scape goat? :D

al cole'holic
08-04-2003, 10:10 AM
...quoting our forum friend Aquaboogie, I think it was "Castaic can lick my balls". :D
[ August 04, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: al cole'holic ]

Kilrtoy
08-04-2003, 12:04 PM
So we are at the dock sunday afternoon. Or should I say where all the IDIOTS TIE UP and park their boats. So I now have to take MRS Kilrtoy to the See Doo area. Well Their is this loser in a truck trying to back down the ramp, with his trailer. So, 10 minutes have passed and the MRS shows up, Meanwhile LOSER is still trying to put the trailer in the water. Well the misses stuffs the trailer in to the SMALLEST,TIGHTEST,WET SPOT, ooops you get the point ON THE FIRST TRY OFCOURSE, I drive the boat up, Hook it up.ALL OF THIS TOOK MAYBE 1 MINUTE START TO FINISH(like my sex life), I then yell to the life guard, You need to get all these DUMB ****S THE HELL OUT OF OUR WAY! and speed off. So we are done wiping the boat down, back to the time line its been about 30 minutes now and guess what LOSER is finally coming up the ramp......That is what I will not miss about CASTAIC...

blownmoney
08-04-2003, 03:54 PM
isn't it funny how they decide to shut her down the day before labor day?... think their trying to put the pressure on some one?... lol.. what a joke...

eliminatedsprinter
08-04-2003, 04:09 PM
It's a snowball effect. The worse things get the more easy big gov fixes the dems promise and then the more dems get elected and things get worse etc, etc, etc.......

HOOTER SLED-
08-05-2003, 06:50 AM
Kilrtoy:
So we are at the dock sunday afternoon. Or should I say where all the IDIOTS TIE UP and park their boats. So I now have to take MRS Kilrtoy to the See Doo area. Well Their is this loser in a truck trying to back down the ramp, with his trailer. So, 10 minutes have passed and the MRS shows up, Meanwhile LOSER is still trying to put the trailer in the water. Well the misses stuffs the trailer in to the SMALLEST,TIGHTEST,WET SPOT, ooops you get the point ON THE FIRST TRY OFCOURSE, I drive the boat up, Hook it up.ALL OF THIS TOOK MAYBE 1 MINUTE START TO FINISH(like my sex life), I then yell to the life guard, You need to get all these DUMB ****S THE HELL OUT OF OUR WAY! and speed off. So we are done wiping the boat down, back to the time line its been about 30 minutes now and guess what LOSER is finally coming up the ramp......That is what I will not miss about CASTAIC... Dude for some reason I think Pyramid is way worse. Don't ask me why. Castaic everyone seems slow. Pyramid, people can't drive their boats for shit near the ramp. Less oxygen, higher elevation, I don't know.
HOOTER "I think I launch and retrieve my boat pretty good" SLED- :D