PDA

View Full Version : SKAG REPAIR

NEW 2 RIVER
08-02-2002, 08:58 AM
I snapped my skag on the outdrive last year and had it repaired.Last time out to Needles I found these really neat things(you might of heard of them? ROCKS)anyways my skag snapped right where it was welded before.So now I need to get it repaired.I want to try a diffrent place this time.Last time I payed $440 for the repair.
Is this a fair price?
Who do you reccomend in the Inland Empire?
Any help is appreciated.
Im sure some of you jetters are gonna have fun with this.

NEW 2 RIVER
08-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Thanks I know of the place.My boat builder had him work out the mechanical problems I had when I first took delivery of my boat.I will give them a call.
BTW good luck on the cause(drinking and driving)We may not agree but got to admire the dedication.

Party Cat
08-02-2002, 09:12 AM
Quality Performance can repair Skegs. Unfortunatly mine broke off at the 'bullet' and the housing had to be replaced. Call Rob over there and he can get ya set up 909 735-5503. As RD said, they are into customer service. Rob brought my boat out to me last weekend cause the parts didn't come in on time. That is customer service. What ever ya do....DO NOT get one of those skeg guards. That is what caused mine to break at the bullet.
Good Luck
PC

SchellSchock
08-02-2002, 01:59 PM
I hit a shoal at Senators wash last year. (My own bein' a Dumb***). I Broke about 2" off the skeg. Went to overtons and bought a "Skeg Guard". It taps on over remaining skeg and has 2 special screws to hold in place. This thing worked great for me and looks kinda cool to. My 2 cents.
"Ya say Ya were shoked when my little 20 footer blew by Ya at 65, Then Ya been SchellSchocked. ;-)

Party Cat
08-02-2002, 04:58 PM
SchellSchock:
Went to overtons and bought a "Skeg Guard". It taps on over remaining skeg and has 2 special screws to hold in place. This thing worked great for me and looks kinda cool to. My 2 cents.
I thought it was cool too......til my skeg cracked at the bullet......forcing me to replace the housing (which cost's almost $1000 just for the part). I would dump the guard and get it welded before ya hit something else and get yourself a nice repair bill.
Good Luck

Boatcop
08-02-2002, 05:01 PM
We have the skeg-guards on both of our outboards.
We bought one a few years ago to repair one that had the bottom couple inches broke off, and decided it was pretty cheap insurance. So now we put them on the lower units as soon as we hang them on the boats.
Skeg-Guard (http://www.skegguard.com/)

79Hawaiian
08-05-2002, 11:09 PM
If it aint too far down consider how the boat handles. Does it need to be fixed? My dad busted several inches off his on the ramp (forgot to put the motor up) but took a grinder to it and rounded it off. Boat still turns nice, what the hell???

locogringo
08-06-2002, 12:05 AM
I just took mine off (skegguard) to see if any performance was lost. If you use the screws supplied, Skegguard says that they will shear off before any significant damage is done to the outdrive.

SchellSchock
08-06-2002, 02:40 PM
Party Cat.... cracked and fell off... as in for no good reason?? Or did ya' whack somethin' which posibbly woulda' trashed the lower housing anyway???