PDA

View Full Version : shasta this weekend

Ian
07-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Well I'm heading up to Shasta on Friday, this will be my first trip to Shasta and I'm pretty stoked. We will be taking a houseboat out of Holiday Harbor and staying through the following weekend. Is anyone else going to be out there?

BILLY.B
07-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Dude do you ever work?????? Have a great time.

wsuwrhr
07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey Billy, Do YOU?
haha
Brian

Ian
07-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I realized at a young age that work is severly over rated :D . Just trying to live it up during my last summer, next year I'll be done with college and off to the real world cry

BK
07-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Ian, dude am I a total flake or what!!? I forgot to return your call last week, sorry bout that. If your going out of Holliday Harbor you might want to hang out at Greens Creek. Take a left and go up the McCloud arm, it'll be the second BIG cove on you right hand side going up, real nice and no its a no wake aria. For fuel the only place that sell super unleaded on the lake is Silverthorn. If you go right out of Holliday Harbor when you get to the bottom of the McCloud arm you'll hang a left on the main part of the lake, Silverthorn is on the right. The best water (and IMO, the best spot) on the lake is gonna be the Pit arm. Keep going past Silverthorn till you get to the Jones Valley inlet, it'll be on your right side. Go mile or so and you'll see the Pit arm on your left, lots of arms to hang out and play in with no one around. If you keep going past the Pit arm to the right you'll run into Jones Valley resort/marina, they have pretty much everything you'll need exept premium fuel. Wish we could hook up with you guys but we have a group of freinds coming up from Socal to hang out at Whiskytown lake with us this weekend. Have a good time and let me know if you have anymore ?'s. Heres a link for Shasta info web page (http://www.shastalake.com/)

jet496
07-09-2003, 08:03 PM
What's the best time of year to go to Shasta. We want to go next year from San Diego. Any info would be appreciated. Looks like an awesome lake.
Thanks,
Jim

jet496
07-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Also, what would we be up against as far as beaching in coves, BUGS, weather and water conditions? Would it be best to houseboat or simply stay in a motorhome at one of the marinas. The more I look at the websites on this lake/area, the more I want to explore it.

BK
07-10-2003, 06:02 AM
The water starts to warm up on Shasta in early June and stays warm till early October, so anytime in between is good. The only thing to worry about in between is the water level witch veries from year to year, this year is very high. If the waters low the shoreline can get real mucky and alot of coves wont be accessable. You would be best off houseboating, that is by far the best way to spend time on Shasta. The shoreline is very rugged and beaching a boat is pretty much not gonna happen (unless your not concerned with scratchin it up), you'll need to bring a good anchor and steak to tie off with. Bugs arent too bad usually and the weather here is HOT!! August is probebly the warmest month (gets into the 110-118 range), was 104 yesterday and should be in the 106-110 range they say this weekend. As for campgrounds, if you want hookups Antlers is the nicest and they have cabbanas as well Antlers (http://www.antlersrv.com/) and theres tons of primitive camping. Hope this helps, anymore ?'s ask away. :)

Ian
07-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Well I got the boat and truck washed and waxed, everything is loaded up and gased up and I'm outa here!

HalletDave
07-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Ian,
Have a good time. You are gonna love Shasta.
HD

BiggusJimbus
07-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Still worth the extra drive to me...
Mosquitos are the only bug issue, and pretty easily defeated with Cutter or similar.
More of a problem is the poison Oak. You got to be hyper aware. Can be a problem with dogs and kids. Countermeasures are a wise idea.
Shasta has a long season. For boat or shorecamping, earlier in the year when the water is higher is usually a good idea. This year the lake was full. That's an amazing time to be there. Later in the year would be fine for resorts and such.
It's pretty safe bet through September, and usually, a lot of Oct. can be campable. The off times are great because the lake can feel almost deserted at times.
If you got the bucks, a houseboat is a great time.
Lot's of places for RV's and resort style stuff.
What do you have in mind?
Last weekend...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/795Boat_at_gooseneck-med.jpg
My usual campsite.
[img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/795saddle_camp-med.jpg
[ July 11, 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: BiggusJimbus ]

jet496
07-11-2003, 04:17 PM
That a bitchin' camp site. Looks like lots of beach areas. I think we'll explore the lake next year. I imagine it's about a 14 hour trip from San Diego.