PDA

View Full Version : A question for someone who lives in Havasu...

locogringo
05-05-2003, 10:59 PM
I am getting landscaping done at our house out there and am running into a problem trying to get ahold of the company we gave a deposit to. I haven't been able to get a hold of him for over a week. Tried both his cell and his home and I always get a "no, he is not in".
If anyone knows a guy by the name of Jeff from Reding/Redding Landscaping tell him to give me a call because I'm not too happy right now and I would rather not have push come to shove when I go out there this weekend.
All I need is an update, nothing more/nothing less.
Daniel :mad:

MirRoc
05-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear that Loco I had the same kind of problems with a guy that was expanding my garage. Good Luck

Sun burners
05-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Making room for your favorite nephew?
What a great uncle you are.....
[ May 06, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Sun burners ]

riverracerx
05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
I called him and changed the address to mine. So far it is turning out beautiful. Thanks Loco for the landscaping! :D

Mr.Havasu
05-06-2003, 11:25 AM
that seems to be a recurring problem here in Havasu.
Rule of thumb..
Never give a deposit until they are there working.
If they can't afford to buy some materials out of there own pocket to get started they probable are not very good.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-06-2003, 11:31 AM
For landscaping I recommend Desert Green. They did our hosue and did an excellent job!

Chet 17
05-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Hey Loco, Joey reffered me to that guy as an alternate and I ended up going with Timesaver Landscaping instead, now I am thanking my lucky stars....
My guy gives us the quote, tells us 3 to 4 weeks out, I snivel (price), he comes down a few, I agree, still 3 weeks out, he calls 3 days later and says open up the garage were coming to hook you up, I say wow, I cant even get up their fast enough and he calls back and says to mail him the final payment when I can....
I am so bummed I have to leave after a friday am meeting to investigate this claim that he did his job, like he said and did not even ask for a deposit...... Go figure a company that way exceeds your expectations in Havasu.....
Go ahead and give em the business if you can
Jack Gibson @ Timesaver Landscaping
928/530-2727 cell
928/680-7542 office

MirRoc
05-06-2003, 06:03 PM
be careful at time savers they might think your there for a job application to be a gardner!!! bad experience!!!!!!!

dkreuzen
05-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey locogringo,
We had Jeff Redden do our landcscaping too, it took a lot longer that it was supposed to. I think he said it would be done in three weeks and it was over 4 before he showed up and then it took a couple of weeks more. Keep after him he will eventually get it done, just keep after him. My wife chased the workers around the entire time they were here trying to get them to do the job correctly. I would never recommend him but keep in mind ALL of the contractors in Havasu are flakes.
Dennis

Keith E. Sayre
05-06-2003, 08:22 PM
I tend to agree with Dennis but I will say this,
Jeff Redden has done work for lots of people and
companies that I know, he was usually way late and
seemed unorganized but did a great job. Hope it
works out for you.
PS--I know where he lives too if you want me to
go talk with him for you.
Keith Sayre

locogringo
05-06-2003, 09:25 PM
I greatly appreciate everyone's input. It really isn't bugging me too much because I know that I can find him if I need to. My wife however, being a little bit more on the "worry" side is biting her nails thinking we got taken.
I honestly don't think we have and that he just has poor business skills in terms of customer relations. We will see on Friday!
I called him and changed the address to mine. So far it is turning out beautiful. Thanks Loco for the landscaping! Funny guy Chris! Can I hang out in your garage and drink some beers at least and admire the work?
Hey Loco, Joey reffered me to that guy as an alternate and I ended up going with Timesaver Landscaping instead, now I am thanking my lucky stars....
My guy gives us the quote, tells us 3 to 4 weeks out, I snivel (price), he comes down a few, I agree, still 3 weeks out, he calls 3 days later and says open up the garage were coming to hook you up, I say wow, I cant even get up their fast enough and he calls back and says to mail him the final payment when I can....
I am so bummed I have to leave after a friday am meeting to investigate this claim that he did his job, like he said and did not even ask for a deposit...... Go figure a company that way exceeds your expectations in Havasu..... Daren, err Chet, if this doesn't pan out with him and if he won't respond favorably, then I'll check into your guy. Thanks!
I tend to agree with Dennis but I will say this,
Jeff Redden has done work for lots of people and
companies that I know, he was usually way late and
seemed unorganized but did a great job. Hope it
works out for you.
PS--I know where he lives too if you want me to
go talk with him for you.
Keith Sayre Mr Keith to the rescue once again!
Give me a call tomorrow if possible
888-222-6141 Cell Phone
or stop by and ask him what the deal is for me.
Thanks to all...
Daniel

locogringo
05-06-2003, 09:27 PM
DKruezen...
Glad to see someone else used him here.
I'll follow your advise

slowinhavasu
05-07-2003, 07:47 PM
what's up ???? did you get his number from Rusty...lololo see ya this weekend....c

locogringo
05-07-2003, 07:55 PM
slowinhavasu:
what's up ???? did you get his number from Rusty...lololo see ya this weekend....c Close. Actually Larry/Sandy

dkreuzen
05-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey locogringo,
I forgot to tell you that my wife hand picked all of the plants and paid for them separate because the stuff he was going to get for us was not native or desert plants. We paid for them because he still owed the nursery money from the last job. This way we got what we wanted and when we wanted it and probably cheaper too. Jeff's crew picked them up and planted them.
Dennis
[ May 07, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: dkreuzen ]

78Eliminator
05-07-2003, 09:45 PM
locogringo:
I am getting landscaping done at our house out there and am running into a problem trying to get ahold of the company we gave a deposit to. I haven't been able to get a hold of him for over a week. Tried both his cell and his home and I always get a "no, he is not in".
If anyone knows a guy by the name of Jeff from Reding/Redding Landscaping tell him to give me a call because I'm not too happy right now and I would rather not have push come to shove when I go out there this weekend.
All I need is an update, nothing more/nothing less.
Daniel :mad: Question: did he spit on it before he stuck it in? Just kidding dude. Hope you find him and give him the "one punch" treatment....

eliminator777
05-07-2003, 09:50 PM
I've lived in Havasu a long time.Most people I know call it the Havasu Way. Contractors set appointments and some how or another can't make it.And then they call you 3or4 days after and tell you how very sorry they are.And tell you when they'll be there.( well you learn)Call 10 contractors maybe 3 will show.Hopefully you'll get the guy every one recomends.Then If you truely want the job done I won't give a deposit until their ready to start.That day .Window coverings called every in phone Book 1 guy showed up.Gave Him the job he never asked for deposit 5 days later job was done. He did an outstanding job. I asked him why he didn't ask for deposit his words were.Your windows are std.I don't need you to finance my bussiness.80 percent of my bussiness is for the color you chose. I'd sell them any way. :D :D :D :p :p

locogringo
05-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Good points.
In terms of the plants, Dkruezen, we are going with 1 Queen and 4 smaller ones. MAybe that is where the hold up is. With the nursery!
78, I like it better when its done dry eek!
It'll work out I'm not worried (yet)

Keith E. Sayre
05-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Locogringo: I left you a phone message, you're
going to love this!
Keith Sayre

spectratoad
05-08-2003, 11:43 AM
With that post you know we all want to know???? wink :D eek!

BoatPI
05-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Having delt with many contractors this past 18 months, common sense prevailed. Many are flakes, and think hard about giving a deposit.
Can you imagine contractors examining the site and failing to bid on $20,000 jobs. That's Havasu!
I found one exception, Rick at SunDeck. He wanted a $1,000 deposit as he sets start dates 2 months in advance. He came recomended. His job was slightly delayed (weather), but to the highest quality. Clean up is always an issue, the response to a better final clean up is a factor in overall jobquality and professional ethics.
Need cool type decking done, here is my recemended. Rick.

KrazyKa
05-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Eliminator777 - do you happen to remember the name of the company/gentleman you dealt with?

In2Deep
05-09-2003, 01:06 PM
I don't think Havasu has exclusive dibs on this effect.
Every project I've ever done that's required the services of a contractor has had this dynamic.
Maybe it's just the "Contractors Way"

XTRM22
05-09-2003, 01:29 PM
In2Deep:
I don't think Havasu has exclusive dibs on this effect.
Every project I've ever done that's required the services of a contractor has had this dynamic.
Maybe it's just the "Contractors Way" Believe me, speaking as Construction Manager for a homebuilder if I treated customers the way people are describing I'd be out of a job or in court! Not all contractors have that attitude, like not all mechanics are out to take your money. On a good note I hope to open a remodeling/custom kitchen&bath/home maintenance& repair business in Havasu in about a year and a half it sounds like if I show up and do the job correctly I should make a living. wink
Chuck

spectratoad
05-09-2003, 04:26 PM
I am a Construction Manager for the Nevada Army Guard and I have some of those problems, but for the most part everyone wants to mainain a good name. I think it depends on the owner location in realtion to the contractor and where the work is being done. My Father just finished a house in Henderson and if it wasn't for the awesome inspectors in Henderson my Dad would have been screwed. The foundation was not square as designed and one side was 4 inches higher. :o
I have a feeling that some of the guys in Havasu are used to the owners not being around so they have just gotten lazy. Me, a long drive to shove their BULLSH*&T up their A$$ is not a big deal.

Dusty Times
05-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Loco,
Wish I knew you needed landscaping. I usually don't plug my company on the forums I belong to.
We do most of our work in Kingman (we do work in Havasu and Bullhead but stay so busy I try not to travel unless needed). Without slamming anyone I would suggest that you use only licensed contractors. We do not ask for deposits (but maybe we should). If a home owner doesn't pay it is very simple to lean. Many contractors that ask for deposits are flying by the seat of their pants and you are financing their business. We also supply to many contractors in the tri-state and if you need any further help or recomendations just let me know.

locogringo
05-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Dusty Times:
Loco,
Wish I knew you needed landscaping. I usually don't plug my company on the forums I belong to.
We do most of our work in Kingman (we do work in Havasu and Bullhead but stay so busy I try not to travel unless needed). Without slamming anyone I would suggest that you use only licensed contractors. We do not ask for deposits (but maybe we should). If a home owner doesn't pay it is very simple to lean. Many contractors that ask for deposits are flying by the seat of their pants and you are financing their business. We also supply to many contractors in the tri-state and if you need any further help or recomendations just let me know. Give me a call tomorrow if you don't mind
(909) 314-3674 cell
Daniel

nodigg
05-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Just a quick SHAMELESS plug for a decent landscaping company in Havasu...
TimeSavers- They did four houses for me and each one wound up being better done than I expected. (Bcause they are low-priced also). They EVEN return phone calls promptly! Yes, Havasu has a lot of poor customer service people but there are a lot of genuine contractors as well. Things have changed a lot (for the better) since I started my business out here 3 years ago. Best word of advice would be get a refferral before hiring a contractor...ANYWHERE!

TrojanDan
05-12-2003, 08:23 AM
nodigg:
Best word of advice would be get a refferral before hiring a contractor...ANYWHERE! and check the referrals! Great advice.
I would also add to check their contractor's license to see if is 1) It is their's. 2)still valid 3) check to see if they have numerous complaints.
I'm also a Construction Manager. If you do your homework and don't always look at the lowest price but best service, it isn't too difficult to find someone reputable.