PDA

View Full Version : Spinouts

El Prosecutor
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
. . .
Lowrider will turn on rails if I don't have the trim up. If I pull too suddenly tho, she'll offer to spin. :cry:
Reminded me of a jetboat tour of the Rogue River I took in the '80s. Dude driving spun the boat with about 20 passengers in it. It was a blast!
Since I got the boat last year I have been tempted to give it a try but haven't got the huevos yet :skull: . I am working up the courage - anybody got any pointers on technique? :idea: Will it flip? :rollside: Is it gonna rip the stringers out or anything? :cry:

fleetimus
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
You need to talk to Jethro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squirtin Thunder
03-13-2006, 05:08 PM
send me your email address and I will respond with a vidio of JEThro.

Rondo
03-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey Squirtin', Can you send me one of those too?!
rondo@frontiernet.net :cool:

El Prosecutor
03-13-2006, 05:47 PM
You need to talk to Jethro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody come out with it already - what happened????
I have a feeling Jethro aint tellin'.

Squirtin Thunder
03-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Done

ONAROLL
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Reminded me of a jetboat tour of the Rogue River I took in the '80s. Dude driving spun the boat with about 20 passengers in it. It was a blast!
Since I got the boat last year I have been tempted to give it a try but haven't got the huevos yet :skull: . I am working up the courage - anybody got any pointers on technique? :idea: Will it flip? :rollside: Is it gonna rip the stringers out or anything? :cry:
I used to have a Challenger that for some reason would spin on itself if you let out of the throttle cut the steering and nailed it, it would do a 360 right now, I had a blast doing it, then I had a Hondo that lost power at about 70, the boat of course would not respond to steering input, it also spun and hit a roller, I watched my eight year old wearing only a life jacket and trunks bounce toward the headers, I swore to God and everybody right then I would never provide another thrill ride to anybody ever............my advice is whatever you decide, decide only for yourself..............Vic :)

Heatseeker
03-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Jethro is a habitual jet spinner!!! First thing he's done with each of his three jets is to take them for a spin...literally!
Here's a shot of one of his more tame spin outs:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/998702.jpg

BigBlockBaja
03-13-2006, 06:26 PM
In my Challenger, I just floor it in one direction, get up to speed, let off the gas, turn the wheel all the way in one direction and floor the b*tch again. Its very interesting...

daddy b
03-13-2006, 07:45 PM
On the first day out in the Centurian(Hondo bottom), I turned ever so slightly while accelerating @ 65 mph, the thing slid, caught, hopped, landed backwards at 50 mph(with a bottom blocker intake, no water except forward motion), the water was coming in over the distributer level, cavitating, until it finally went forward just before sinking, gallons and gallons, there is a lot of weight in the back of that boat. Physics man physics......
My experience with spinning them is very similar, some spin well, and some don't.... this is where you get to decide.....he he heeeeee yah better have a goooooood tow rope, and flotation. my tow cents... :)
daddy b keeping on :rollside:

NautiTwins
03-14-2006, 07:03 AM
In my old boat the blue and white COLE, you could spin it out at mmost any speeds. It say pretty low and would spin really smoothly. All I had to do was turn the wheel hard and tap the throttle and around she went. I know that some of these guys use the reverse bucket during the spin but I was not that advanced.

Aluminum Squirt
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Anybody ever caught a ride in one of the big aluminum sleds like the most of the boat cops use? My buddy has a 23' North River, and while certainly not a sexy OT header, low freeboard boat, its one of the best all around boats I've ever been in. With some very careful driving, he can bring the rear end of it around pretty easily. Another cool manuever is to jamb it in reverse while going forward at about 30 MPH and give it a bunch of gas. That damn boat will stop in its own length, put the bow under water, a huge wall of water will come over the windshield and it will be standing still. He hits the huge bilge pumps and there you are, stopped like it's got anti-lock brakes. Damdest thing I've ever seen and the folks from North River showed him how to do these things on his demo ride, so its not like they are telling you that their boat can't or shouldn't do these things. The crazy fockers at North River also had a nasty, steep, muddy, loading ramp on my buddy's test drive day. The 4WD truck couldn't pull the boat out of the water, so somebody got in the boat, fired it up, and pushed the truck up the ramp enough to get the momentum going and the truck finished pulling it up when the pump went dry. These people know a thing or two about how to build and drive a work boat, crazy stuff!-Aluminum Squirt

JEThro
03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
BigBlockBaja uses the same technique that I use. It takes some practice to do a controlled spin. Don't get greedy with your speeds. They're fun to do and really get peoples attention. Here's a few things to keep in mind if you plan on doing one. Make sure you have a good bilge pump as you will get a lot of water in the boat. At slower speeds,around 3500rpm, you will end up dipping the bow under and it acts like a shovel when it comes up as seen in the pic posted above. Anything in the boat that is not tightly securred will go flying. I broke my battery hold down once and the battery ended up laying on top of the pump. If you have saddle tanks, make sure they are mounted real good. The fuel sloshing around weakens them real quick when spinning out. If you have a diverter,start of with the nozzle in the flat position or up one notch. After some practice you can lower the nozzle for tighter spins. The most important thing is to check your water conditions. I did a 50+mph that I will never forget. When the boat was 180 around,I hit another boats wake broadside. The boat stopped but I didn't. I got tossed out over the passenger side.
Here's a pic of me doing a 180 spin ending up going backwards. These are the hardest and most dangerous to do as you have to let OFF the gas at just the right time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/23113621Picture_016.jpg

bigblockbill
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I must interject a comment here. Be very carefull. We accidently spun a boat trying to avoid friggen lake lice and took a wave over the back while going backwards. Fortunatly I put the pedal to the wood and shot out of it once the pump hooked again. We had a ton of water in the back and I was worried about the back going down. Call me scared but I would not ever try to purposly spin a small one.

nos1967
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
sounds like you do it the exact way you do it in a waverunner. done that at 60 mph and learned how to fly for about 2 seconds :rollside: will never do it in a jet boat....unless the day comes where i can afford a 5 thousand dollar mistake :)

El Prosecutor
03-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I am not skeered but I am cheap. Judging from the last few posts I think I will leave the spin thing to the professionals. :rollside:

bigblockbill
03-15-2006, 07:32 AM
I should make one more comment here. The above post was talking about a small 18 ft gull wing hull. My first boat was a 24 foot monster day cruiser. It had a mind of its own after the stringers were cut out and replaced and would spin for almost no reason if you were not paying attention. No big deal top speed was 50-55 mph and typicall spin speed was in the 30s, everyone got a little wet and mad at me but oh well. Call me boring but for what ever reason I still did not purposly try to do it however.

maxwedge
03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
The redneck I bought my Sidewinder from told me after I handed the cash over, "Oy yeah!...Dude I almost forgot to tell you the coolest thing about this boat. Just get her up to about 55-60MPH, let off the gas for a second, crank the wheel all the way and nail it again...Sum bitch'll do a Phuggin complete 360, man!" This sounded like a really stupid and life endangering thing to do, so naturally I tried it right away. Works great, but I've got a pretty good idea why the floor was all cracked away form the hull and rotted after 30 years of this treatment. I'm sure it's not very good for the boat. Not good for promoting passenger/ driver realationships either. Lots of creaking noises from the hull and passengers, and lots of water in the boat. Maybe it won't seem as bad now that I have replaced/reinforced the floor :)

kcsteck
03-16-2006, 10:45 AM
can some one send me the video id like to see it.
Kcsteck@aol.com
Thanks,
Casey

shaun
03-16-2006, 11:30 PM
upload the vid here so we can watch it...
http://unix-scripts.com/hb/

LOWRIVER2
03-17-2006, 02:44 AM
I did it as a new boat owner in my old Liberty hull. That hull was very forgiving and very little water came in the boat.

Cat Skinner
03-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Hell I do it all the time. That and get going at a pretty good clip and throw her in reverse. Real fun, but, I'm kinda set up for such nonsense. Low freeboard guys you're on you own. CS

mud duck
03-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Yea, I did this a few times in my 21' Ultra. Dam near threw myself out of the boat. No water ever got in the boat from this maneuver for me. However, warning passengers sometimes does not fully prepare them. It is quite a wild ride! I will have to try the reverse thing now & see if my chin hits the dash. :)