PDA

View Full Version : Alternator gave it up...

1stepcloser
09-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Over the weekend, my alternator finally quit. I thought since I have to replace it, I would like to upgrade to a high output. I would appreciate any info, from anyone who has gone this route already. I have a standard mercruiser unit now, would like to be able to use the same mounts, etc.

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-03-2002, 09:17 AM
When I upgraded, the alternator used the same mounts. Didnt have to change anything.

1stepcloser
09-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Where did you find yours at?
Also, what is the output, and is it USCG approved?
[ September 03, 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Boatcop
09-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Check with your local Merc supplier. They should have a direct replacement at a higher output, and will have proper Marine Shielding.

Havasu Hangin'
09-03-2002, 10:17 AM
I've been shopping for high-output marine alternators, and the cheapest that I found was The Battery Shack (http://www.thebatteryshack.com/) in Florida.
100 AMP marine alternators for around $250...Boat/US and West Marine want $500+ for high output marine alternators...
Same mounts...

Slick
09-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Try finding a local alternator shop or auto electrical shop. They should be able to upgrade any alternator for around $100.

spectras only
09-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Slick is right, you can keep your [not coast guard approved alt wink ,but insurance approved .hehe alt] ,just replace the stator unit ,and maybe the regulator and brushes while you have it open.
[ September 03, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

1stepcloser
09-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Well... I called my local Mercruiser dealer, they told me Mercury has a 55 amp "high-output" alternator available for my application. $234.22 special order.
Thats what I have.
HH, That's the stuff I'm talkin' about. I called Bill over there, he's quite a character! "Builds them in house for over 24 years!" I need to measure the distance between the feet, and he can ship me one right out. Seems like it will do the trick. Assured me they are Coast Gaurd approved.
Thanks!! I'll let you know what happens..

Boatcop
09-03-2002, 12:54 PM
I need to clear something up.
There's no such thing as a "Coast Guard Approved" alternator, or any other engine component (except for the Flame arrestor)
They are classified as "Marine Type" components. To acheive this, all they must prove is that are shielded with proper screening to contain any sparks or explosion within the component, rather than transferring to the bilge area.
The Coast Guard does not "Approve" these, no matter what the ads or salesman may say.

1stepcloser
09-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Boatcop:
There's no such thing as a "Coast Guard Approved" alternator, or any other engine component. They are classified as "Marine Type" components. You are correct Alan. It is me calling the alternator Coast Gaurd approved, not the salesman or the website. They both classify the units as "marine type". In fact, Bill at the Battery Shack in florida, told me the same thing. They install a screen over the open portion of the case thus making them "marine type". The assurance he gave me was that they are "Marine Type" alternators, not Coast Gaurd approved.
Sorry if I mislead anyone. The point I wanted to get across was they are O.K. for use in a marine environment as opposed to a standard automotive type unit.

Kwicherbichen
09-03-2002, 02:36 PM
1stepcloser:
Boatcop:
There's no such thing as a "Coast Guard Approved" alternator, or any other engine component. They are classified as "Marine Type" components. In fact, Bill at the Battery Shack in florida, told me the same thing. They install a screen over the open portion of the case thus making them "marine type". And that costs an extra $150. Sounds like the "J" tube scam on marine carbs.

1stepcloser
09-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Well, not exactly, The Battery Shack remans their own 100 amp alternators for marine applications, they hard anodize or powder coat the cases, in addition to the screens. Look at HH's post above for their website, it's very informative and has a toll free number for more questions.

Boatcop
09-03-2002, 04:53 PM
And that costs an extra $150. Sounds like the "J" tube scam on marine carbs.
Scam? When you've seen as many toasted boats as I have, due to improper electrical and fuel components, you'll swear by Marine Type equipment till the day you die.
Why is it that some people with $50,000-$100,000 (and higher) boats complain about an extra "$150.00" parts that will prevent that big buck investment from going up in smoke? :confused:

1quickjet
09-03-2002, 06:24 PM
1stepcloser, try giving Daves's DC electric a call out here in Riverside. He is a boater and a major stereo buff as well. His boat and truck have been featured in AS$S and he has numerous trophies, good guy. He has rebuilt two different alternators for my boats. Converted them to one wire, super high output (I believe my current one is 110 amps) and he didn't charge me any extra to "marinize" them either. Sorry, I don't have a #, but 411 should.

flat broke
09-05-2002, 11:28 AM
1Step,
I paid $149 for a 100amp marine alternator from Teague last Labor Day weekend. You might want to try them.
Good luck,
CHris

MikeF
09-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Why is it that the need for a high output alternator is needed. What else is on the boat that needs to be fed accept the coil? Do you have alot of accessories, stereo? :confused:

1stepcloser
09-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Well. I called dave at DC Electric in Riverside, he offers a 94 amp version for $285.00 Marine type Delco. Thanks 1qj.
Flat Broke: Thanks!! I'll check that out also!
MikeF: Yes, I have a stereo system that does consume some power, however, as I posted earlier, I figured that since the original unit has failed, I might as well replace it with an improved unit as a Mercury replcement retails just shy of $300.00. frown