PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator's new 27 Daytona....what's your take?

HBjet
02-24-2003, 12:21 AM
Ok, I gave a real quick opinion on the features I did not like on the new 27' Daytona from Eliminator, and I also stated in another thread that it was a comfortable drivers seat in relation to throttle controls compaired to any other boat at the show. So now I want your opinions on the new Daytona. Not gelcoat design, or power packages, just the hull and interior.
Here is one person who decided to email me what their opinion about me was, based upon my opinion on the new 27' Daytona. And I have another question, do you think this is someone from Eliminator, or a new Eliminator customer who has one of these 27' Daytona's on order?
Here is the email:
I have seen as you the 27' Daytona in person. Along with all the others at the LA SCMA 2003 Boat Show. I have always valued others opinions, as long as those others were of the same class as those purchasing the items reviewed. Obviously, you are a traditionalist. Your opinion is reflextive of that. Some day you may awaken and relize the world is changing. The "Bass Boat Windshield" comment along with your reaction to the engine compartment is neanderthal. Taking a look at past styling and design creation along with today's technology will brightly shine a light for you to show you the path of the boating world of tomorrow. Aerodynamics and weight play a hugh part in every thing we design today. Better fuel economy leading the way of priorities. When you can afford a "CAT" such as these or you have obtained the educational background to warrant your claims then maybe, we will respect your opinion.
Gladiator from Darkness
HBjet

HighRoller
02-24-2003, 12:52 AM
HBJet,I was befuddled as to why the canopies stood up so abruptly when the ones on the 26,30 and 33 are swept back and aerodynamic.On the plus side I thought the rear end of this boat was sweet!The whole transom area was curvy and especially the engine hatch which was compact and molded perfectly into the lines of the back end.I also liked the engine compartment vents which were perfectly shaped into the rear corners of the boat.My only question is why they have a 25,26,27 and 28ft Daytona?Are the 29 and 31ft models next?Is Eliminator's plan to cover every foot between 25 and 38?

Jbb
02-24-2003, 01:53 AM
HBjet:
Ok, I gave a real quick opinion on the features I did not like on the new 27' Daytona from Eliminator, and I also stated in another thread that it was a comfortable drivers seat in relation to throttle controls compaired to any other boat at the show. So now I want your opinions on the new Daytona. Not gelcoat design, or power packages, just the hull and interior.
Here is one person who decided to email me what their opinion about me was, based upon my opinion on the new 27' Daytona. And I have another question, do you think this is someone from Eliminator, or a new Eliminator customer who has one of these 27' Daytona's on order?
Here is the email:
I have seen as you the 27' Daytona in person. Along with all the others at the LA SCMA 2003 Boat Show. I have always valued others opinions, as long as those others were of the same class as those purchasing the items reviewed. Obviously, you are a traditionalist. Your opinion is reflextive of that. Some day you may awaken and relize the world is changing. The "Bass Boat Windshield" comment along with your reaction to the engine compartment is neanderthal. Taking a look at past styling and design creation along with today's technology will brightly shine a light for you to show you the path of the boating world of tomorrow. Aerodynamics and weight play a hugh part in every thing we design today. Better fuel economy leading the way of priorities. When you can afford a "CAT" such as these or you have obtained the educational background to warrant your claims then maybe, we will respect your opinion.
Gladiator from Darkness
HBjet ...Thats an awfully dramatic reply for someone just stating their opinion....Neanderthal......lol....

LUVNLIFE
02-24-2003, 04:32 AM
It seems like they took it a little to personal.

shockwaveharry
02-24-2003, 06:14 AM
...Here is one person who decided to email me what their opinion about me was, based upon my opinion on the new 27' Daytona. And I have another question, do you think this is someone from Eliminator, or a new Eliminator customer who has one of these 27' Daytona's on order?
Here is the email:
Gladiator from Darkness
HBjet [/QB]Sorry, Gladiola from Darkness, your boat just doesn't look right.
http://216.55.144.225/image_center/data/500/28E27Daytona006.jpg
Who doesn't think those windshields should be laid back ALOT more? I'll bet just a change to the rake and height of the windshield would make the boat look more well proportioned.
That's not to say Your opinion isn't important. Go buy what you like and enjoy it. people do it all the time!
Just ask Honda http://images.forbes.com/images/2003/01/06/open_415x277.jpg
...and Pontiac http://formenmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/machine/panaztec.gif
People buy those new all the time... :rolleyes:

twistedpair
02-24-2003, 08:21 AM
I don't really like any of the canopy designs, either put on a windshield or don't. Does this make me a neanderthal also?
Hey Gladiola, how much 'educational background' does it take to know that "Reflextive" is not a word? :rolleyes:

DogHouse
02-24-2003, 08:37 AM
For an "edumacated" man, Gladiator sure could use some spelling and grammar lessons! Gladiator, HBJet was expressing his opinions... Take 'em or leave 'em but don't get all hurt and pissy just because they're different than yours. I guess you can add me to the list of neanderthals too, because I'm not crazy about the current trend toward canopied bat-boats. I understand their usefulness for poker runners and others who spend a lot of time at triple digit speeds, but I prefer the more traditional styling of the river hotrods and I also like having the wind in my face. I hope that the manufacturers will continue to offer the classic models so that we still have a choice.
-brian
ps: Oh, and one more thing, since when did having money (i.e. being able to "afford a CAT such as these") have anything to do with the validity of one's opinions about design and styling?
[ February 24, 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

AZKC
02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm not a big fan of windsheilds either and these look old school anyway not new age like he implies and staring at that green dash all day :rolleyes:
http://216.55.144.225/image_center/data/500/28E27Daytona004.jpg
"Ass for every seat" they say, but not mine in that one wink
KC

mbrown2
02-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Too many shapes and curves, and the windshields look like they came off a Crownline deck boat...and that is no put down to Crownline; I like their boats, just did not expect to see their windshields on an Eliminator....

RandyH
02-24-2003, 10:03 AM
I guess I liked the way the Bimini folds out of the way on days you don't need it. I am always trying to decide if we need to take it or not.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Hot_Boat_Happenings/Boat_Shows/DSCN8236.JPG
I would not want to do much wenching in this thing. This type of turnkey power is what you would want in this boat, but I would think that would really limit the true speed capabilities of this hull. My two cents,
[ February 24, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: RandyH ]

Jordy
02-24-2003, 10:16 AM
AZKC:
KC KC, as a tradtionalist, you aren't entitled to give an opinion... When you have the means to have a boat like this one then, and only then, can your opinion be reflextive of that. :D :D :D
What a joke.
From the pics I've seen, that boat just doesn't do it for me either... oh well. :D

HBjet
02-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm a big fan of Eliminator....I own one! Just there is someting about this new Daytona that doesn't sit right with me. I think I could handle the engine compartment if the windshields where gone and the front looked like there 25' daytona. That would be a lot better looking. I do know that when I see Daytona's on the water, I'm stoked to see them and kinda jealous. When I see the 27 this year...I won't be!
HB"neanderthal"jet

DogHouse
02-24-2003, 12:42 PM
So do you suppose that "Gladiator from Darkness" will ever register on the forums under that name???
:D

Hallett19
02-24-2003, 12:50 PM
No matter what you think of it, if eliminator said "here's the keys, have fun" and gave it to you, you would not run that ? I liked the boat, loved the colors, loved the designs, not big on canopies but from my experience they are functional. Did anyone notice the "clean air" sticker on the side of the skittles boat ? I talked to the designer and told him he did a good job on it, I like eliminators alot, old and new, and they just have a great boat.

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I am a big fan of form follows function mentality, and the upswept windscreens appear to buffet a lot of wind over the occupants, not funnelling it into their faces at full speed. Looks aside, if it works better, I am all for it.
The engine hatch was pimp. Blended perfectly. The hatch for the bimini top was in my opinion the nicest feature at the entire show. I liked the billet gas fills in the intake vents, and I really liked the layout of the dash. I loved the lack of corners. Very swoopy.
I hated the seats. The color and style of them were heinous, and the execution was miserable as well. The colors were terrible, although eye-catching. The dash needed some depth that the green was not providing.
Aside from all of that, I thought that the rigging and appointment of the boat has a long way to go to catch up to the design. Tough to have an integrated bimini cover right next to surface-mounted POS speakers.
My opinion of course...

AZKC
02-24-2003, 01:30 PM
jordanpaulk:
AZKC:
KC KC, as a tradtionalist, you aren't entitled to give an opinion... When you have the means to have a boat like this one then, and only then, can your opinion be reflextive of that. :D :D :D
What a joke.
From the pics I've seen, that boat just doesn't do it for me either... oh well. :D Even if I had the scratch, I'd have to live someplace I could use it more than 6-8 times a year. Unless the Santa Cruz River suddenly starts running 8 ft deep :D
What's reflextive? :p
KC
[ February 24, 2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

Jordy
02-24-2003, 01:42 PM
AZKC:
What's reflextive? :p That, my friend, is a question that only the Gladiator of Diction can answer. :D

AZKC
02-24-2003, 01:59 PM
jordanpaulk:
AZKC:
What's reflextive? :p That, my friend, is a question that only the Gladiator of Diction can answer. :D or his side kick the Guru of Grammer :rolleyes:
KC

Jordy
02-24-2003, 02:02 PM
AZKC:
or his side kick the Guru of Grammer :rolleyes:
KC After reading his letter, I don't think they've been hanging out together much. Perhaps the Guru of Grammar is hanging out with the Pimp of Punctuation and Spelling Steve. :D

mmered8299
02-24-2003, 02:41 PM
My five year old said it looked like a gumdrop! Why do these builders make their boats look like space ships? They are so aerodynamic you think there going to take off and go the moon. eek!

572Daytona
02-24-2003, 02:58 PM
When I first saw the picture of the engine hatch I thought someone slipped in a picture of a SeaDoo jet boat with a mercury sport jet engine:
http://www.seadoo.com/seadoo/media/220_ph_07ft_5.jpg
To me color schemes like that look great when you first see them because they are unique but tend to get dated fast. Oh wait does some one need to run a credit check on me to make sure I can afford the boat before I'm allowed to comment on it? :rolleyes:

25Elmn8r
02-24-2003, 04:05 PM
I have to agree and disagree with the comments made by others. Now this is just one mans opinion- I thought the 27 was BAD ASS! I loved the way the design flowed. The engine hatch was the best I've seen. The gas fills incorporated into the vents were sweet, the front deck vents(not functional on the show boat, are functional in production)are supposed to keep fresh air coming into the cabin. I haven't made up my mind on the placement of the bimini for rear seat outside passengers(I think the hardware would be in the way) but having someplace for storage is great. The windshields, well I liked them!! That's right I said it. I am not a fan of canopies, but these I guess you could say half canopies were ok by me. The layout of the controls were perfect, the seats were comfortable and form fitting.
Now the color scheme of the green one was horrible!!!!!! I hated it. But my buddy actually liked it. I haven't seen any pic's of the 2nd 27 that was at the show. It was much better looking and had a more traditional look to it(and no it was'nt checkered). I really liked that one.
Would I buy it? Not yet, I still love MY 25!!!!
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/9825daytona3.JPG
BTW HBJET, I mean neanderthol wink , that is just some j@#$@ss trying to get you all riled up.
[ February 24, 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

HBjet
02-24-2003, 04:26 PM
25Elmn8r:
BTW HBJET, I mean neanderthol wink , that is just some j@#$@ss trying to get you all riled up. Well, I wasn't really bothered by it all, and I just wanted to get everyone's opinion about the boat on here to see if I was the only one or not. And from the looks of it so far, 2/3's don't like it, and 1/3 does. No big deal. Also, with new designs, I know some can grow on you, and some do not. I hope I don't offend anyone, but this boat belongs behind the new Chevy's! Both come from a good mfg, and both where good looking at one time, and both are now trying to set a new trend that's not so trendy...
HBjet

HBjet
02-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Hmmm
http://www.fishingworld.com/Skeeter/Boatline/image-Layers2/-Main.jpg
http://www.rangerboats.com/images/519nasmainlg.jpg
http://www.tritonboats.com/images/popUpPics/TR19PDC.jpg
HBjet :D

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Here is the other one...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/27daytona.jpg
I hated the new Cadillac Escalade look when it came out. I thought it reversed 10 years of development in the Chevy design. I hated the CTS equally.
After almost a year, I now can say that I think the Escalade is the hottest looking SUV, and I think the CTS is going to be our next car for Audrey. Good change grows on you. I think swoopy and curvy will always be superior to boxy... but then explain the CTS???

HBjet
02-24-2003, 04:54 PM
I think that 27 did look a lot better, mainly due to color combo, and the smoked Bass Boat windshields look better then clear. Also, if they cut down those windshields like just above the guage cluster, then it would look a lot better. As for the back, I think it looks to Euro. Just my opinion...
As for the CTS, I think it looks like it just came out of a car crusher that didn't finish the job!......Really, if it was a wide body car, then the look it has would look a lot better, to me. It just looks to narrow. Now, if you put 20's on it and drop it, that may be just the trick!
HBjet

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 05:00 PM
HBjet:
As for the CTS, I think it looks like it just came out of a car crusher that didn't finish the job!......Really, if it was a wide body car, then the look it has would look a lot better, to me. It just looks to narrow. Now, if you put 20's on it and drop it, that may be just the trick!
HBjet Well of course we are going to put 20's on it and drop it... but I love the way it looks.
Point was, this is the future of boat aesthetic. Embrace it, or buy old boats. Round is strong. Round looks nice and molds beautifully. It is not going away.

Charley
02-24-2003, 05:39 PM
I know alot of people don't like the looks of the canopies yet but they will grow on you....just a matter of time. :D

boat030
02-24-2003, 06:23 PM
I think the 27' is UGLY!! that being said i am sure there is more than one person out there that thinks my 26' is ugly so what it's just an oppinion i don't understand why that guy was gettin' all over HBjet for puttin' his opinion out there i thought that's what these boards were for. After all maybe no one over at eliminator knew they had built an ugly boat and now they know so really we have done them a great service they should be thanking us.
[ February 24, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: boat030 ]

25Elmn8r
02-24-2003, 08:52 PM
HBjet:
I know some can grow on you, and some do not. I hope I don't offend anyone, but this boat belongs behind the new Chevy's! Both come from a good mfg, and both where good looking at one time, and both are now trying to set a new trend that's not so trendy...
HBjet [/b]
[b]Also, if they cut down those windshields like just above the guage cluster, then it would look a lot better. I have to agree with you here, the new Chevy front end is, well, FUGLY! But I did see one on display at the show and it was looking good. I think the 27 will grow on you as it has me(probably not as quick). The windshields could usse a little trimming down. I think I just might be suffering from 2footitis, but next weekend in Parker should cure me.
Froggy:
I now can say that I think the Escalade is the hottest looking SUVI agree totally! Just yesterday I told my wife that might have to be my next vehicle.

WILDERTHANU54
02-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Hallett19:
No matter what you think of it, if eliminator said "here's the keys, have fun" and gave it to you, you would not run that ? I liked the boat, loved the colors, loved the designs, not big on canopies but from my experience they are functional. COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE

HavasuDreamin'
02-25-2003, 10:31 AM
I agree with HBJet. Bass Boat windshields kill it for me. I don't care for the back of the hull either. If I were in the market for a big Daytona, it would be a 25' or 26' with canopies.

Froggystyle
02-25-2003, 10:45 AM
After looking at the pics a lot closer, I realized that the windscreens don't flare up at the end.
Is the corrolation with the bass boat windscreen merely an observation that they are not rounded, but more square?
I actually really like the light tint on the one with the scary yellow and flem green paint job. Reminds me of those hot chick sunglasses...

THOR
02-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Is that the Skeeter version of the Daytonas?
:p

Froggystyle
02-25-2003, 10:52 AM
HBjet:
Hmmm
http://www.fishingworld.com/Skeeter/Boatline/image-Layers2/-Main.jpg
http://www.rangerboats.com/images/519nasmainlg.jpg
http://www.tritonboats.com/images/popUpPics/TR19PDC.jpg
HBjet :D Another interesting thing about these pics, is that the guys all appear to be going pretty fast (relatively speaking of course) and they all have hats on facing forwards. That leads me to believe that the air deflection going on is pretty significant. I know that anything over 20 mph, my hat is going to be parked next to Hustlers skeg if it is on forwards.
Looks to me like a good idea...

HBjet
02-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Well, Gladiator of Darkness is not the owner of that 27' Daytona. I know this because the owner emailed me yesterday to tell me he was the owner, not the other guy. Also, he understands not everyone is going to like the boat, and that's fine with him. He said after reading the posts about the colors, he's pretty sure he won't see another one like it at Havasu. He also said he's going to see if they can cut the windshields down a little. Anyways, he seemed like a cool guy and he thanked me for posting up the photos. One thing I got to say is, Eliminator and this boats owner sure got the attention of us boaters with there new model and graphics choice....we are all talking about it!
The more I look at the boat, I think if you cut down the windshields a few inches, and used the smoked ones, it would greatly improve the look.
HBjet

Jordy
02-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Sorry, but I just have to chuckle at the Ranger "Nascar Edition" bass-boat... talk about stereotyping Nascar fans. That's funny. :D

HBjet
02-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Froggystyle:
the guys all appear to be going pretty fast (relatively speaking of course) and they all have hats on facing forwards. That leads me to believe that the air deflection going on is pretty significant. I know that anything over 20 mph, my hat is going to be parked next to Hustlers skeg if it is on forwards.Or they have on a really tight hat! I do think those deflect the wind pretty good, but I also don't think they are going that fast for the photo! (25-30mph?)
HBjet

Blown 472
02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
jordanpaulk:
Sorry, but I just have to chuckle at the Ranger "Nascar Edition" bass-boat... talk about stereotyping Nascar fans. That's funny. :D This coming from a guy that likes chevys, them is fightin words. :D