PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead Trip - Week of Aug 18

Speedee28
08-06-2002, 09:02 PM
We are planning to be out at Echo Bay for the week of Aug 18. We were out there for a few days in early July. The water level was low ....
Any info on current levels would be appreciated. A few friends of mine were out at Powell over the last few weeks and they told me the water level was really low.... When will it ever end ???
Thanks,
Speedee28

jenndon
08-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Were going to be at Temple Bar the same weekend

twistedpair
08-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Lake is down a little since you were here, but there's still plenty of water. Lots of good beaches and everything is pretty well marked as far as high spots. What kind of boat ya' got, maybe I'll see you out there.

ultra1
08-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Just curious... What type of camping is available at Mead. We usually go to Lone Rock at Powell and camp on the water in our Motorhome. Is something like that available at Mead and if so, where. Thanks for your input...

twistedpair
08-13-2002, 09:41 AM
There are actual campgrounds @ all the marinas. If you want to camp on the beach, you might try Government Wash. There are two more places past Govt. Wash on the way to Callville but the names escape me now. The ramp @ Govt. Wash is closed although some people try to launch from the beach, I would use one of the marinas. Lots of jetskis to contend with around these areas.

jenndon
08-15-2002, 10:37 PM
You don't have to look out for jet ski's anymore at Mead...The tree hugger got them banned!!!
I'll be at Temple Bar the 16 through 19. Were in a Eliminator 220 eagle xp, white, purple and grey. The names "8 second ride"

twistedpair
08-16-2002, 04:10 PM
jenndon:
You don't have to look out for jet ski's anymore at Mead...The tree hugger got them banned!!!
I'll be at Temple Bar the 16 through 19. Were in a Eliminator 220 eagle xp, white, purple and grey. The names "8 second ride"Actually, Jetskis are still legal until Sept. 15, and they'll probably br reinstated altogether next spring.

Outnumbered
08-16-2002, 11:30 PM
I was out at temple bar last month and there is plenty of water, although it was about 48 feet low if I remember. The main channel is over 400 feet deep up there. Some unmarked rocks in the back of coves but nothing unusual. One thing that sucked is the mud. :( From Temple Bar to Sandy Point we must have stopped 10 times at beaches that looked killer until you stepped out and sank to your knees. Sandy point beach is still solid but can be blown out if it gets windy. There are some semi-solid beaches in coves but allow plenty of time to scout-em out. Hope this helps.
Old Lavey

Speedee28
08-17-2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the info... We're leaving on Sunday morning. We have a 28 Nordic w/ blue, yellow and purple stripes .... and are staying at Echo Bay.
Safe boating and we'll look for y'all !!!
Speedee28

Speedee28
08-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Sorry for the late post.... We were out at Echo Bay last week and it was WINDY !!! The water was pretty rough but still had a GREAT time !! Plenty of water although some areas are still intimidating... Weather cooled off (around 100 degrees) so it was very nice compared to back in July when it was 115 !! Great trip despite the wind.
Speedee28

Outnumbered
08-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Speedee,
How are the beaches and coves up around echo/overton? Lost of mud? Rocks? We are going out in two weeks for the first time. We usually go to Temple Bar. Any suggestions on some good spots up there?
Old Lavey

Speedee28
08-31-2002, 07:40 PM
I wish I could be more help re: spots but I don't know names. We normally head south down the overton arm to the last cove on the right side (has the head pump out dock) and anchor in about 40 feet of water. It is very big and has a few great (protected) areas where houseboats are usually beached.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Speedee28

shaun
09-03-2002, 08:47 PM
i was their with a bunch of friends for a week on a house boat their. First off i think that has to be the worst lake i've ever been to... the beach's where rocky and most of them i sunk up to my waist. This was my first time their. Anyway the first day one of my buddys cuts her hand pretty badly... rahter than taking the house boat all the way back (about a 2 to 3 hour drive) we decided to call the Rangers. Rangers took 5 hours to get to us. They pick up our guy ( it's night time by this time) and they are looking for life jackets and cant find them. We offer to give them some of ours and they said "No... we got it". They where being major assholes and they took off with our wounded guy another guy and 2 of our girls... (long story while 3 people went also). While driving back the stupid idiot ranger Ran into a Reef hauling ass. To say the least my friends didnt end up getting to the hostpital until about 3:00 in the morning. The rangers didnt appoligize and they basically just droped our people off and left. one of the girls was hurt pretty badly... She could bearly walk to the next day. the others where alright, just minor injuires. We where at echo bay.
The trip turned out to be phun but in the end was a week full of stress. The last 3 days where good except the deposit was suppose to be charged back to the Credit Card and it wasnt. They wont give us the deposit back and are being major dicks.
Shit happens i know... but the way the rangers acted was rediculious. They didnt even see if everybody was alright. It took them 5 hours to get our guy (we told him his hand was cut bad) and if it was serious serious injury shit by that time he could have died. i cant say enough bad things about that place... sorry to flame here but man... it was bad.