PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Needed!!!

Froggystyle
02-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Hey everyone. I am in the market for a medium-duty air compressor. I am looking for a stand up, 60-80 gallon, 5-8 hp that will run 10.5 cfm or greater at 90 lbs. 220 power. Used preferably, but I am looking down the barrel of having to buy a new one.
Anyone have a lead on a good quality used unit. Maybe a shop upgrading?
Let me know!!! Speedaire, Ranger, Walker or Ingersol Rand preferred.

ROZ
02-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Froggystyle:
Hey everyone. I am in the market for a medium-duty air compressor. I am looking for a stand up, 60-80 gallon, 5-8 hp that will run 10.5 cfm or greater at 90 lbs. 220 power. Used preferably, but I am looking down the barrel of having to buy a new one.
Let me know!!! Speedaire, Ranger, Walker or Ingersol Rand preferred. Nevermind...
[ February 12, 2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

bmff
02-13-2003, 04:24 AM
Look at Harbor Freight online. They have Ingersol-Rand and Ranger. Best prices I've seen.

THOR
02-13-2003, 06:38 AM
My dad used to be in the business and I would have to say the IR would be the top from those you listed.

mmered8299
02-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Home Depot has what you want. Bought one there last year. Had a oil leak and they sent a guy out the next day to fix it! Cant beat that!

ROZ
02-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Wes, I know a guy who works for Maintenance warehouse. He should be able to hook you up on a good price for a new one.....Afterall,I hook he and his buddies up whenever they need something.
Let me know.

Froggystyle
02-13-2003, 12:25 PM
ROZ:
Wes, I know a guy who works for Maintenance warehouse. He should be able to hook you up on a good price for a new one.....Afterall,I hook he and his buddies up whenever they need something.
Let me know. Well, again I know where to turn to get a good price on a new one! Thanks for the hookup Roz!
I am still optimistic that someone has a used one for sale. The price usually takes a huge shitter on the used market, and it is just a matter of finding one. I regularly see what I am looking for or better for $250 or so, and I am looking to spend up to $400 for a nice one. New, I don't think that is going to get me very high quality...
Used.... who knows?
I'll drop you a line Roz, thanks.

Hotcrusader76
02-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Froggystyle:
Let me know!!! Speedaire, Ranger, Walker or Ingersol Rand preferred. Wes,
Not only is it difficult to locate one with a reasonable offer attached but the other issue at hand is, was it properly maintained? Was it drained daily or very often? What condition is the motor? Too many "Mr.Murphys" in the whole equation.
I ended up buying a new one myself, 30 gallon 6HP. Kind of like a "pony keg" compared to the 60 gallon stand-ups. I then rigged my own filtration system for the line and it feels good to know it was brand new from the start.
Good luck, I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
~Ty

superV
02-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Maybe you could get the guy from Lake Rods over i hear he Blows Hard! hehehehehe J/K :D

Froggystyle
02-13-2003, 12:35 PM
What did you buy, and how much was it Ty?

Hotcrusader76
02-13-2003, 12:41 PM
I picked up a Craftsmen 30 gallon stand-up for around $280. It even came with a gift box consisting of a 3/8" air ratchet, 3/8" gun, and hose kit. (they were so small I almost gave them to Jewels for her hobby, lol).
I think Sears is still having that sale. I just checked online and it's still there and offered in Red.
Honestly though, the 30 gallons is plenty for my use and with the 110V 6 HP motor, there isn't much you can't use it for.
Now if I was changing out F-350 suspensions all day long and doing alot of heavy automotive work then I might have gone to a 60 gallon to save the motor and maybe even a 220V.
Remember though, that 110V needs a dedicated circuit. She has quite a draw when it cycles on and off.
~Ty

Froggystyle
02-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Hotcrusader76:
I picked up a Craftsmen 30 gallon stand-up for around $280. It even came with a gift box consisting of a 3/8" air ratchet, 3/8" gun, and hose kit. (they were so small I almost gave them to Jewels for her hobby, lol).
I think Sears is still having that sale. I just checked online and it's still there and offered in Red.
Honestly though, the 30 gallons is plenty for my use and with the 110V 6 HP motor, there isn't much you can't use it for.
Now if I was changing out F-350 suspensions all day long and doing alot of heavy automotive work then I might have gone to a 60 gallon to save the motor and maybe even a 220V.
Remember though, that 110V needs a dedicated circuit. She has quite a draw when it cycles on and off.
~Ty That's why I need 220. I am using heavy-draw tools, as well as spraying and such. Nothing kills volume like an air-recip saw, and that is my bread and butter for trimming fiberglass.
Thanks for the info though.

02-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Try to get a compressor as big as you can afford, buy used if you have to. I have a De Vilbiss V-4cyl 2 stage and I can run it down to 110lbs when working constantly with a long board or a DA sander or anything that has high air volume requirement. New compressors such as Craftsman and Home Depot type are over rated, built cheap and wear out quickly if used alot. Almost all budget compressors use aluminum cylinders instead of iron, that equates to hi wear and short ring and cyl. life.

THOR
02-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Froggy,
I currently have a Campbell Hausfield and have been very pleased with it. Its a stand up model so I can stick in the corner when I dont need it.

stix818
02-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Froggystyle, I just bought what you are looking for at Sears. It's a 80 Gallon, 5 HP,13.6 CFM at 90 PSI, 220v and max pressure is 175. They were on sale last month for 800 bucks. I believe the standard price was 870.

boat030
02-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Stix818, how come you have a picture of Rick's crash as your avatar :confused:

Jordy
02-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Spend the money and get one with cast iron cylinders. My IR in my shop is belt driven and has a spot to change the oil in the compressor. You get what you pay for in the long run. Most of those cheapo jobs out there are just throw away, especially if you are going to be using them like I think you are.

stix818
02-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Boat030 no reason really. The picture its self amazes me and I'm love TAFs.

v-drive
02-15-2003, 02:03 PM
IR's are the best as long as they are not the ones made in India. have one now and am going to dump it as soon as I get the ok. Didn't know about it until our service rep (IR employee)told us. No wonder we got such a good deal.
:cool: V-drive

lakesmodified
02-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Hey Froggy, though I did get a better deal on mine :D , you can purchase this compressor at Sams club for $749.00. As you can see, I run a full size commercial glass beading cabinet with no problem. Ivan
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/comp1.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/comp2.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/comp3.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/comp4.JPG

Hotcrusader76
02-15-2003, 02:46 PM
How much for the blasting cabinet? Wanna make a deal?
~Ty

lakesmodified
02-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Hotcrusader76:
How much for the blasting cabinet? Wanna make a deal?
~Ty Ty, I'm not selling any of these items, I was just informing Froggy of the compressor I have, and that it runs my cabinet extremely well. Anyone that knows about pneumatic tools, knows that a blasting cabinet takes about the most CFM of anything air powered. I did get one hell of a deal on that cabinet though! The owner that was in Illinois(And moving out of state) needed to get rid of it ASAP. He had it on ebay, and I was the high bidder at $150.00, though the reserve wasn't met. He emailed me and told me he would take $150 if I could get it out that weekend. Needless to say, I drove the 8 hours up there and picked it up. To my surprize, the cabinet had never been hooked up or used one single time! I went onto Cyclone's website, and that cabinet was listed at $1000.00 at the time.
[ February 15, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: lakesmodified ]

ACCEPTENCE
02-17-2003, 10:30 AM
RiverDave:
To echo what others are saying I'm very pleased with the performance of our Ingersoll Rand compressor. :) (3100 PSI)
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Picture_0122.JPG
RD Dave, 3100 psi??? That looks like a two or three stage compressor with chambered filtration?????
Has it been used for filling dive tanks?????
Just curious???

Havasu_Jet_85
02-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Yeah look at Harbor Freight. Thats where my dad and I got ours. It wokss pretty good.

beyondhelpin
02-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Froggy
Best thing I can tell you is not to get a direct drive. They are so loud you cant think. Spend the extra to get a belt drive. Your ears and friends will thank you.