PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Fender Dilemma

HotHallet
03-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Ok so I am all stoked and about to mount my 11-inch wide custom stainless steel fenders last night when the whole situation was buzz killed when I went to set them at the bitchin lowered down height and the mounting surface on the fender is nowhere near the iniside of the mounting surface on the step. The problem is where the fenders are designed to bolt at the bottom leaves an ungodly gap between the tire and fender and kills the whole look I was going for. I am going to have to fabricate some sort of wedge out of aluminum or stainless that will look half way decent and allow me to set the fenders at that bitchin lowered down level. I have a week basically to get this problem solved before our first river trip to Needles of the season. Any suggestions or offers for help would be greatly appreciated!

Nubbs
03-20-2003, 10:44 AM
What you're saying is that the fenders are not long enough when installed at your desired ride height? There will be a gap between your step and fender? I haven't seen your setup, but couldn't you just make some tabs that will allow you to mount them? Depending upon the size of the gap you could add a rubber gasket or some molding? Just a thought.

hack job
03-20-2003, 11:06 AM
well travis what is going to have to be done is simple you will either have to make a wedge or maybe a the fender would have to be altered i thought ath the words custom ment that they would be what you wanted. any how sorry i didnt get back to you yesterday i was kind of busy. give me a call this afternoon. and we will see what you mean. and what needs to be done. wink

HavasuDreamin'
03-20-2003, 11:24 AM
I feel your pain. :( That sucks....especially since you have already "redone" your trailer. :mad: The only other way would have been to mock up the location prior to painting the trailer and then torching and re-welding the step supports closer to the wheels/tires. Hindsight is 20/20. devil
Good Luck with your fabbing up of a wedge and have fun at the river. smile_sp

JRM 1217
03-20-2003, 11:29 AM
I have the same problem. When the guy I bought my boat from redid the fenders, he put a block of wood that was 1" tall on top of the tires and set the fenders on that and bolted them to the steps. I also have a gap between the fenders and the step.When you figure out a good wedge please post it.

burbanite
03-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Ok,
if I am visualizing this correctly, you can still mount the fenders to the frame but you have a gap between the fender and the steps ahead of and behind the fender?
Do you have the polished checker plate on the step? If so, make some new ones that cover the gap, if not make them anyway.
Don't know if I am anywhere close or not but I'm just guessing at what you have.

JRM 1217
03-20-2003, 11:54 AM
No I don't have the diamond plate on top. That would work for the top but what about the side of the step, you would have to get with someone who owns a brake and have it bent.

burbanite
03-20-2003, 12:18 PM
JRM 1217:
No I don't have the diamond plate on top. That would work for the top but what about the side of the step, you would have to get with someone who owns a brake and have it bent. Yes.

Froggystyle
03-20-2003, 03:12 PM
You could, using your existing step, fabricate a whole new step to go on top of it, terminating in an angle iron piece that bolted to your new fender. Then, cover with diamond plate.

spectratoad
03-21-2003, 05:26 AM
I am sure you already looked at this but how heavily are the steps welded to the frame? Maybe you could take the step off and move it back withour too much damage. Kind of a lame statement so I will just say it is my .01 cent. :D