PDA

View Full Version : FAST boats in AZ

vishus
09-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Please respond with type of boat and aprox. speed.
I know Scott-Ducky has been looking into having a AZ Drag Boat Association, I am just curious what it out there.
I run at Saguaro, Canyon, and Bartlett with some quick outboards (red RIOT tunnel with a Merc, a red STV EURO with a Merc, an Allison with a Merc, a blue/white Hydrostream with a Merc, a brown BAKER SST with a Johnson, and a rainbow colored V-drive with a BBC (Scott - Ducky should have it running any day now!!), and was curious what was out there. I have been out about a dozen times this summer, and have only raced against my friends. WHAT is out there? I guess I don't boat where the FAST boys run... I am not the FASTEST boat out there, yet I don't seem to have anyone to race. Where is everyone?
later,
sid

XTRM22
09-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Hey Vishus, Somebody will probably flame my Slow Vee Butt for being the first one to answer you, but most of the Fast guys I know are "big fast" 25' cats and bigger Vee's and can be found at Lake Pleasant more then any place else. Canyon is the closest to Tucson for me so I like to go there. This has been a slow summer for us but we've been to Havasu a few times. I'm trying to get a bunch togather to be at Canyon on Sat. the 14th, interested? I'd be happy to run with you, what you say 0-62 mph? I know you'll still get there first but at least I might not look quite so silly. :)
Chuck

vishus
09-03-2002, 01:48 PM
My wife works Saturdays, we could be out there by 3PM or so. I am still trying to dial in my ride, I have a bit of a handling problem on top end. I am not trying to RUN with those BIG BRUISERS that hang at Pleasant, I am not interested in hitting 100/110/120+ in open water. I am more interested in the 0-60, 0-80, acceleration is more fun!
IF we can make it, look for a RED RapidCraft RIOT (red picklefork tunnel) with a Mercury outboard hanging off the back. As I have stated before, I am NOT FAST, pretty quick, but NOT the FASTEST by any means! I just want to meet some other boaters with similiar interest to run with us outboarders....
later,
sid

Slick
09-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Vishus,
I would venture to guess Bartlett has the majority of fast smaller boats. If you really want to tangle with the big boys, you need to make a trip to Lost Lake on the colorado river or Speed Alley on Havasu. Another suggestion would be to pay a visit to www.havasubarney.com (http://www.havasubarney.com) There's a lot of outboard lovers over there.
Good luck
Slick

Jordy
09-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Good thinking Slick. The Barney boys are planning their "Big Block Spanking Party" or something along those lines right now.
Jordy :D

vishus
09-03-2002, 02:12 PM
I am familiar with HavasuBarney, Uncle Tony runs the same hull as me (he runs at least 100HP more than me (and that's before he hits the NOS)).
I was just curios to what was out at the local lakes.
thanks,
sid

XTRM22
09-03-2002, 02:46 PM
I know I used to love sundown drag raceing at Burnt Corral on Apache. We took down alot of "80"mph jet boats, and got beat by about the same number! Never were lots of fast outboards around there. I'm a dedicated I/O man but man I love to watch those fast outboards run, seen some seriously scary fast boats in Speed Alley on Havasu (like SkaterFast in his old Stoker). I'm in a 22' DCB Extreme Vee, white with red, purple and gunmetal graphics. Mild 454 turning a labbed 23" 3 blade honest 60-62 mph with 65.7 on gps as a best ever run in perfect conditions.
Chuck

vishus
09-04-2002, 08:10 AM
Chuck,
sounds like you have a NICE boat there!!
I am running a 1994 RapidCraft RIOT with a 1993 Mercury 200XRi (fishing motor). I turn a 26 pitch prop around 7200rpm and hit around 80-85 on GPS. I am still working on my setup, hopefully I will be hitting low 90s by the time I'm finished.
see you at the lakes.
sid

AZKC
09-07-2002, 11:50 AM
Burnt Coral at Apahce Lake sunset side by side wide open on glass water!!! Boy does that take me back. I have been going there since 1978, but got spoiled down at the Marina and the hotel, so I miss out on alot of the action down there. There have been some bad ass boats running the lake, heard Larry had his out for Labor Day he put a spankin on my buddies 90+ Mirage.
KC

XTRM22
09-09-2002, 08:04 AM
The only boat I ever saw on Apache that could out run Larry's Daytona was When Garry Smith used to bring out his 22' Daytona with a Larry motor in it! AZKC I used to go to Apache alot, I'm sure we crossed on the water or at Party Cove. I'm still trying to get some people to meet at Canyon this Sat. the 14t, it's the closest water to Tucson where you can unwind a little. Vishus, I'll look for you between 3-4 (4:0 being the time my wife told me I better be at the ramp loading up and heading home!). wink
Chuck

Donnie
09-09-2002, 06:29 PM
I can't make it Saturday Chuck, I'm going to take Mom and Dad to the Dbacks game. They have never been so it ought to be fun.
Good seeing you guys yesterday.
Donnie

You Te
09-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Hey Vishus,
Can you spank that guy with the red and white STV?

Jrocket
09-09-2002, 07:34 PM
You Te:
Hey Vishus,
Can you spank that guy with the red and white STV?I heard the same story..Is it true Sid?....Uhhhh,You Te...I thinks I know you..Wise old man maybe?....JR

You Te
09-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Jrocket,
You must have me confused with someone else.

Jrocket
09-10-2002, 07:15 PM
You Te:
Jrocket,
You must have me confused with someone else.Dammmm it...I thought it was a long shot,oh well...Sorry.

vishus
09-11-2002, 10:11 AM
UT,
He got his STV up to 94.2 on GPS last time out. I only went 82.1 (with one in the boat, light fuel,no tool box, etc.) before my boat was hopping/porpoising too much. Last time we actually tried to run, I hit 85 (with four in the boat, full tank, tool box, etc.) and was even with him (he was running with two people in his boat), before my boat started its "ugliness".
I am going to try and go out FRIDAY to see if I can learn to drive this thing....
sid

You Te
09-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Sid,
Let's hop that thing up and don't say a word to AZH.
Can you say half tracked.
Are you going to BBSP in OCT, if so maybe I can help your with your boat.
Get your buddy to come out to Havasu and I'll teach him to pick on a Riot.
You Te :D

Jrocket
09-11-2002, 03:37 PM
You Te:
Sid,
Let's hop that thing up and don't say a word to AZH.
Can you say half tracked.
Are you going to BBSP in OCT, if so maybe I can help your with your boat.
Get your buddy to come out to Havasu and I'll teach him to pick on a Riot.
You Te :D Hey You Te,I know this really old bastard that has a Riot.He's alittle on the crazy side but he might be able to take his boat out also.Id better tell him in advance though,he forgets real easy.You know being looney and all..... :p

You Te
09-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Jrocket,
That UT guy must be real old. wink

vishus
09-12-2002, 08:44 AM
You Te,
I may just make it out for BBSP, what are the dates?
thx.sid

Kim Hanson
09-12-2002, 11:31 AM
UncleTony old shit no way,as for being crazy. No, he is just misunderstood.rotflmao....( . )( . )..... :D :D :D eek!

You Te
09-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Vishus,
It should be the first week-end in Oct, I'll check for sure.
You Te

You Te
09-16-2002, 08:21 AM
Vishus,
Your in trouble now if AZH has a 260 EFI.
I just might have to loan you a power head to spank him with.

vishus
09-16-2002, 08:44 AM
First weekend in OCT could work out, it would be me and my son (2.5yrs old). I would like to get a 2.5EFI or pick up one of John Marles MODU motors if money allows, it just won't happen to late Dec/Jan before money frees up....
let me know the dates, I would love to come out and see your boat run and try to learn mine...
later,
sid

You Te
09-16-2002, 03:45 PM
Vishus,
I'll call Wickey tonight and find out the dates.
If you make it to BBSP I'll look at your motor and maybe I can tell you what you can do to save money and who to use for some for some port work.
You will have to do the wrenching yourself but it will help you learn and save you money.
My only thoughts are to save you money, John can do a great job but you will pay for it.
Uncle Tony wink