PDA

View Full Version : Need a change of pace.............Don Pedro?

Flash D
08-20-2002, 08:45 PM
How is Don Pedro on the weekends? Pretty mellow or way crowded? We are going up there this weekend from So Cal and wondered what to expect. Is the lake level pretty good or are there places to avoid? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cas
08-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Flash D:
How is Don Pedro on the weekends? Pretty mellow or way crowded? We are going up there this weekend from So Cal and wondered what to expect. Is the lake level pretty good or are there places to avoid? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.Heck, drive a few more miles up 5 and join us at Tower Park!

Heatseeker
08-21-2002, 07:55 AM
Don Pedro is a big lake. So on most weekends, it's not that hard to find good water. On the big weekends, well that's a different story.
The level has been down, but I've seen it alot worse. Most hazards are marked with buoys, but as always, keep an eye out.
If you are there on Monday, you come by and help my cousin and I install the outdrive on his houseboat!LOL!!!

river-rat
08-21-2002, 10:07 AM
I live in the Bay Area and Pedro is one of my favorite places to boat. Pretty good size lake and not really crowded on weekends. Holiday weekends is another story but even then, not a long line at the ramp.
Water level is still low from last year but it's a deep lake. Watch out for a few hazards but for the most part you will be okay.

Flash D
08-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Here is a pic of my boat. If anyone is out there this weekend stop by and say hi, plenty of Silvers in the boat for all.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/HALLETT_300T.JPG
[ August 21, 2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Flash D ]

Flash D
08-31-2002, 09:57 AM
OK- It's Saturday and I am dead in the water as of Friday with one engine down. So much for the weekend. But, here is an unbiased opinion for the SoCal crowd of Don Pedro and the Delta. I got two days each at both spots.
Don Pedro- A 6 hour drive from South Orange County and is very close to the size of Havasu with high mountains on each side and no wind. Water is very smooth and plenty of places to open it up. The only problem was there was me, 95% wake board boats, 1 Advantage 27', no jets, and the rest fishing boats. What gives? Great lake and no boats to really use the lake for real boating. Boating Rating- Excellent but no Sandbars or channels- bring your own group to hang out with.
Delta- Took Cas' advise and went to Tower Park. Tough to launch anything above 25' there but they handled it good. (They launch your boat on a very steep ramp via farm tractor) After the entire Tower Park staff stood on the tractor to help with the brakes to prevent it from getting pulled into the water by my boat- I was off and running. Use the Buckley Cove ramp in Stockton for anything over 25'. Pretty windy and some of the main channels are rough but you can find plenty of smooth fingers to cruise around in. Lots of places to eat and drink within a 30 mile cruise of Tower Park-especially Lost Isle. (On a private island but put Roadrunners,Kokomos, and the sandbar in a blender and mix) www.lostisle.com (http://www.lostisle.com)
Overall rating very good.
Hope the info helps for all interested in heading up North to boat. Unfortunately, I will be headed back home early, but at least our 1 year old got to see all of her grandparents. Now hopefully, I can get the boat fixed in time to make the RRX Regatta and the Heat Wave Poker Run.
[ August 31, 2002, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Flash D ]

Jungle Boy
08-31-2002, 12:58 PM
Flash D:
Thanks for the info. Here is a pic of my boat. If anyone is out there this weekend stop by and say hi, plenty of Silvers in the boat for all.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/HALLETT_300T.JPGhttp://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/HALLETT_300T.JPG
Here's a better photo of your boat; Nice Boat.

JEThro
08-31-2002, 05:55 PM
Flash D,Glad you made it up north. Iwas at T.Park with Cas and had a blast. I guess you guys down south are more used to a party atmosphere and like to mingle with other boaters. From Don Pedro,there are 5 lakes within a 45min drive radius. People and boats are scatterd everywhere. I like Pedro during the week. I get the whole lake to myself. Jethro

Heatseeker
09-01-2002, 12:02 AM
Flash, you need to hook up with some housebaoters next time you go out to LDP. Try going up the weekend after the 4th of July, during the annual Pig Roast. You'll find a party then...

Flash D
09-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Jethro and Heatseeker-
I re-read my post and can understand your replys. I tried to cover both aspects of boating and socializing for people who are looking for one or both. Let me state, I was up here soley for boating, some skiing, and not partying. I had a blast, until I broke, and both places I went to were great. A houseboat on Pedro for next year will definately be on the calendar.