PDA

View Full Version : New to Tucson

liquid diet
04-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Well, I just moved to Tucson from Vegas and I'd like some info on the best lakes to hit. Since I'm now two hours or more away from a lake I'll probably stay at campgrounds. Are there any lakes I can camp at and tie-up the boat in the water? Also, if anyone knows of a good neighborhood with nice lots or RV parking that would be great. I'm in the military so 150,000 is about my price range. Thanks :)

Kurtis500
04-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Apache-Roosevelt-Canyon.. Salt River lakes

Trouble Maker
04-23-2003, 12:35 AM
I was stationed there at DM for several years and now stationed at Nellis. We always went to Apache when we had jet-skis. It's a pretty nice lake. The road was still undeveloped at the time, so your stuff would always get dirty by the time you got to your favorite spot. It might be paved now though. We always went to Apache from the East side(Lake Roosevelt side, which is a nice lake also).
Have fun..

AZKC
04-23-2003, 06:30 AM
LiquidDiet, Welcome to Tucson :cool: We frequent Apache the most, its about a 3 1/2 hour tow. The lakes about 16 miles dam to dam.
Roosevelt has been a mud hole for about the last 3 years but it is filling up this year(Its up to about 28%) probably alittle/alot dirty for awhile. But it will clearup as the runoff slows. They raised the dam about 5-6 years ago 75' when its full it will be a little bigger than Havasu :D But thats going to take a while.
Heres a couple of links
http://rooseveltlake.com/
http://www.apachelake.com/
Pics of Roosevelt (http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/roosevelt_lake/photographs.html)
http://www.fishinaz.com/FishPics/apacheLake/apachemap.gif
[ April 23, 2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

XTRM22
04-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Welcome LiquidDiet, I used to go to Apache alot, but figured that with 3 1/2 hours to Apache, or 4 1/2 to Havasu I'd rather go there. As you're looking at houses, remember the Northwest side is closer to all the lakes by almost an hour, Just kinda far from DM. If you venture up to Hooters on Ina sometime I'll bet me and AZKC would buy you a beer. :D
Chuck

Tyler
04-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey, somebody else in Tucson! I just registered on the site too, but I've been reading the board for a while.
The closest lake is Patagonia. Its about 40 min SE. Its really small but its the only lake w/out hp restrictions in southern Az. It's going to be convenient for test runs and afternoon ski runs as soon as I have my boat finished (should be next week!!!) There are campgrounds close to the water. Let me know if you want to go down for a day trip in a couple weeks.

XTRM22
04-23-2003, 02:29 PM
40 min SE? you are either way south, way east, or drive like mad man! :D We used to do afternoon runs to Patagonia to wakeboard during the week and it's a sold 1 1/2 hours from my house. 2hours flat to Canyon and there's a lot more lake. Even in my slow boat by the time we unwound we had to shut down or turn around at Patagonia, but it does have nice camp grounds, and is pretty as heck during the monsoons.
Chuck wink

liquid diet
04-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Right now I'm here with-out the boats (19' Nordic Jet and 22' Baja Hammer). My wife and kids will come down in June once schools out. If I can't sell my nordic in time I have to fiqure out a way to get two boats down here. I'm staying in Rita Ranch with a friend but a trip to Hooter's is always on the plate. :D

Tyler
04-23-2003, 07:39 PM
:( mapquest says you're right chuck. That blows, I was really looking forward to short trips down there. I drive fast...but not 60 miles in 40 min fast. Maybe I'll just try putting it in the Santa Cruz!!
Thanks for the correction

XTRM22
04-24-2003, 05:59 AM
Hey Tyler, sorry to give you the bad news, but Patagonia has one other minor draw back, altitude. Makes it nice for slightly cooler summer runs, but there's enough difference between there and the river to need to mess with jets and timing on some motors. Plus if you're short on tow vehicle power like I used to be, there's pretty steep grades from either direction. My boat'll be at Havasu alot of the summer, but let me know if you ever wanna run to Canyon for a day if the boats home I'm usually up for the trip. :D
Chuck

Tyler
04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Sweet, for sure I'll take you up on that this summer. I haven't been to Canyon lake before but I look forward to it...heck I'm looking forward to any lake trips after working on the boat for 2yrs! Probably see you in Havasu too.

AZKC
04-24-2003, 12:30 PM
XTRM22:
Welcome LiquidDiet, I used to go to Apache alot, but figured that with 3 1/2 hours to Apache, or 4 1/2 to Havasu I'd rather go there. As you're looking at houses, remember the Northwest side is closer to all the lakes by almost an hour, Just kinda far from DM. If you venture up to Hooters on Ina sometime I'll bet me and AZKC would buy you a beer. :D
Chuck Yes we would, timing is good right now I'm enjoying some time off(I go the idea from Jordy)allways up for a beer. :cool:
KC
[ April 24, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

AZKC
04-24-2003, 12:39 PM
XTRM22:
Hey Tyler, sorry to give you the bad news, but Patagonia has one other minor draw back, altitude. Makes it nice for slightly cooler summer runs, but there's enough difference between there and the river to need to mess with jets and timing on some motors. Plus if you're short on tow vehicle power like I used to be, there's pretty steep grades from either direction. My boat'll be at Havasu alot of the summer, but let me know if you ever wanna run to Canyon for a day if the boats home I'm usually up for the trip. :D
Chuck That and driving in circles will get ya dizzy smile_sp I'm waitin for the big brown truck, my pumps do back any day now and thats all thats left to hit the water. Maybe this Sunday a quick trip to Canyon for a leak finding/motor break in session. Motor sounds like its going to do the job just fine :cool:
And welcome Tyler those long term projects do drag on don't they mines been down 2 years also.
KC
[ April 24, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

Tyler
04-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Mine won't be done in time for this sunday, but hopefully in a couple weeks. I'll let you guys know for sure when its ready.
Hopefully you don't find any big leaks eek!
I had one before I tore the Kachina down and started over. Sure spoiled that weekend's trip!

liquid diet
04-24-2003, 05:43 PM
How far would it be to launch at parker? That could always be an alternative. AZKC, XTRM22 I'm up for Hooter's after work tomorrow. Should be able to show-up around 5:30-6:00. Let me know.

AZKC
04-25-2003, 06:46 AM
liquid diet:
How far would it be to launch at parker? That could always be an alternative. AZKC, XTRM22 I'm up for Hooter's after work tomorrow. Should be able to show-up around 5:30-6:00. Let me know. Parker is probably 4-5 hours, Happy hour at Hooters might work out its about 5 minutes from my casa, have to wait and see if the big brown truck brings my pump today if so I might be a little busy. :D
KC

XTRM22
04-25-2003, 07:20 AM
liquid diet:
How far would it be to launch at parker? That could always be an alternative. AZKC, XTRM22 I'm up for Hooter's after work tomorrow. Should be able to show-up around 5:30-6:00. Let me know. I am heading to Havasu right after work today, and well, next Friday too. Invite a guy for a beer and then never show up, what a complete lack of character I must have! We'll try again soon!
Chuck

AZKC
04-25-2003, 03:01 PM
I cant make it either Big Brown Truck brought my pump and I got work to do wink We'll hook up soon.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/57Pumps_home0007-med.jpg
Damn it feels like Christamas :) smile_sp :)
KC

liquid diet
04-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Nice! jawdrop wish it was christmas at my house