PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Drought

burtandnancy
08-03-2003, 01:12 AM
We really need some serious rain this winter (or snow pack) in the west. Someone mentioned Hite (at Lake Powell) is closed, Mead has lost some of our launch ramps, while we see in the news that there is flooding in the mid-west and east coast. Mother nature is a bitch...

Mandelon
08-03-2003, 05:46 AM
So's my mom. :(
It looks like they are sacrificing Powell to keep Mead, Mohave and Havasu more full. I wonder why? Less voters up there I guess.
What happens when Powell is drained? Then the environazis get to blow it up??? Is it a conspiracy..... eek!
What if the drought is a long one? What will happen to our precious river? We can always desalinate for drinking water, but we boaters may be left with a couple of muddy lakes if the snow pack doesn't return with a vengeance in the next couple of years..... frown
[ August 03, 2003, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

BILLY.B
08-03-2003, 06:34 AM
burtandnancy:
We really need some serious rain this winter, Mother nature is a bitch... Burt such language this early on a Sunday morning. And what are you doing up so early???. I heard Powell was down 60ft & Mead was down 70ft, is this true?. The river at Needles has been pretty screwy this summer also, very low during the day, and taking awhile to come up during the late afternoon/early evening. Which has made it more difficult to dodge those very talented "PWC" DRIVERS!!! :mad:

wsuwrhr
08-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Mandelon:
So's my mom. :(
Is it possible that we are brothers?
Brian
I can say from first hand experience that last year Mead was down 50 feet. Looked really sad to see the high water mark.
We are all going to die.....
[ August 03, 2003, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Mohavekid
08-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Yes, Hite Marina on Powell closed last week. It is pretty much high and dry. Here's a link with some pics. http://www.wayneswords.com/primative.htm
Powell is down so low because that's the way the system between Powell, Mead, Mohave and Havasu was designed to operate.
Mead and Powell were firstly designed for flood control and secondly as water storage facilities to generate power. It is expected that they will have greater fluctuations in their water level.
With all the enviro nazi's out there working to eliminate Powell, the low water level just gives them more ammo. We need big rain/snow for a few years in a row to bring the levels back up.

mmered8299
08-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Hey Mandelon......In the future when there is no river to play at will take our boats to the local WalMart rent a water truck and hook up the motors to run them while on the trailers. The kids will run up and down the parking lot. The wifes can sun them selves on the asfalt. Will play loud music. Just like at the Channel. It would be great because there would be no launch lines!!! :D :D :D

burtandnancy
08-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Meads down over 80' and Powell nearly 90'. They are not holding any water here, but Lake Mohave is only down 3 to 4 feet and Havasu is near full pond. We're in about our 7th or 8th year of drought. The record low was winter of '68, the high in the summer of '83 where the water went over the spill gates at 1225+ feet. Todays level is +/- 1140'.
Billy, my boat was here all week for GT to change oil, filters, etc, and Carl tweaked the idle. You heard didn't you that they hired the boat for the new series "Nip/tuck"...

Coach
08-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Check out this site for Info on Powell. 56% full. http://www.summittech.com/LakePowell/LP_WaterDB.php

BILLY.B
08-03-2003, 03:58 PM
burtandnancy:
Meads down over 80' and Powell nearly 90'. They are not holding any water here, but Lake Mohave is only down 3 to 4 feet and Havasu is near full pond. We're in about our 7th or 8th year of drought. The record low was winter of '68, the high in the summer of '83 where the water went over the spill gates at 1225+ feet. Todays level is +/- 1140'.
Billy, my boat was here all week for GT to change oil, filters, etc, and Carl tweaked the idle. You heard didn't you that they hired the boat for the new series "Nip/tuck"... Did they hire you to drive it??? I can't imagine that you'd let anyone else drive your boat, unless there was enough $$$$$$ :D

burtandnancy
08-03-2003, 05:34 PM
They hired me to park it, its in a scene with two of the actors walking down the ramp to take it out. In the series its named "BOATOX" and someone spray paints the word Asshole one the side. They pay well, but if I get to drive it in a forthcomeing film (like to Catalina or so) the price goes (way) up...

Rexone
08-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Hey Burt do you know which ramps are open and which are closed at Mead. Probably would save some folks some headaches the next couple months to know in advance of what's open. :)

Just Tool'n
08-03-2003, 08:06 PM
This is just the start of the water wars in the west. Once it starts the wacko enviromentalists start with there shit that powell needs to be torn down & put back to it original state.
They will have the backing of the sierra club!
Those Son of B*tches want it all for themselfs, & no one else.
They are doing it in yosemite right now, luckily we have a congressman fighting them as we speak.
Hope to see a outcome for the people instead of all of the elitest's(i.e. Sierra Club members)

Outnumbered
08-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Here is a link TO AZ Fish and Game. Lots of info on lake levels and river flow. Best site I have found for this info.
http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/edits/lake_levels.html
Powel is down 89
Mead is down 87
Mohave and Havasu are nearly full.
We need lots of snow on the west slopes of the Rockies to start filling it back up. I was at Powel for the first time in 1984 and if I remember right it was down to similar levels as it is now. I think it filled back up in the mid 90s. Not nearly as many people living in Vegas and Phoenix then though. They gotta stop building so many damn houses out west without a good water plan or the lakes will all be dry.
Pray for snow.
OL

burtandnancy
08-04-2003, 06:55 AM
Mike, Hemminway is not good for bigger (+30') boats, a new ramp has opened at Lake Mead Marina, Callville is partially open, Echo Marina has been moved a little and the dirt berm dredged somewhat and Overton is OK. I've heard conflicting reports on Temple Bar so am not too sure. Some of the ramps are pretty flat and I've seen trucks and SUV's backed in to the doors.
Taking the 40 back to Lake Mead Tuesday AM, but leaving it on the trailer for a short time while they overhaul my hydro-hoist. Want to get it back in soon while there's enough water to float it off...

Outnumbered
08-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Great report!
I can tell you that Temple Bar ramp is down to the asphalt section as of 4th of July. The ramp and cove you launch into is very flat and shallow to the end of the courtesy dock. We have no problems launching our 21 Lavey there (had the tail pipe under water on our 4x4 but not much more). I could see it being a problem for bigger boats. We got a news letter from TB Marina that says they were begining to re-surface the ramp in July. I think they are going to go with concrete. They are going to have to curve the ramp toward the lake soon if the water continues to drop. Its just getting too tight and too shallow.
OL

burtandnancy
08-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Follow up to above launch ramps. Just got phone call from someone who still uses Las Vegas Bay Marina launch ramp (thats the marina that was moved to Hemminway). He says the ramp is still good and very usable for larger boats. Any of you Vegas or BC guys know for sure?
Next point, how deep can you submerge your banjo housing before you get water in the vent; Ford, Chev and Dodge? Anyone ever ruined one...?

Outnumbered
08-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Your talking rear dif/rear axle? It depends on if it has a breather extension or not. Most 4x4s have a rubber tube/hose from the breather that tucks up under the bed somewhere, just to prevent the water sucking in. I have never owned a 4x2 truck so I don't know about them.
The bigest problem is dunking the rear dif in cold water after running it hard. As it cools down in the water it creates a suction thru the breather.
If yours doesn't have breather extensions its a simple add-on using rubber auto hose and hose clamps and maybe some thread-in fittings, quality zip ties, etc. Be sure to leave enough slack in the hose for the axle to articulate up and down as you go over bumps etc. If you don't like to mess with that stuff, any good 4x4 shop should be able to set you up.
OL