PDA

View Full Version : another boat theft

Havasu Doug
03-14-2003, 08:11 PM
I received an email from a guest on my website telling me about her stolen boat.
...21' Eliminator Daytona was stolen from Baker Ranch Storage sometime between Sunday night and Wednesday morning. It was recovered in Hawaiian Gardens. The engine was sawcut from the hull. The seats, gauges, jet, etc. were also taken...This really sucks. I don't know what jurisdiction is handling this investigation as I am not the victim. Is anyone out there tracking these thefts across jurisdiction lines? Like a boat theft task force of some sort?

Boatcop
03-14-2003, 08:24 PM
There's a number of boat theft task forces set up in the SoCal area, and they work across jurisdictional lines.
And since we investigators are pretty few and far between, we mostly know each other and have worked together in the past.
Keith (boatPI) and I have done several operations together. And I know he's busted a few rings that lead him across 4 counties and 3 states to nab all the players.
Sorry to hear of your friends loss. If it was insured, have her tell the Insurance Company to get ahold of Todd or Keith at Todd and Associates. They've got a pretty good record for recovering stolen boats.

Havasu Doug
03-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Boatcop:
There's a number of boat theft task forces set up in the SoCal area, and they work across jurisdictional lines.
And since we investigators are pretty few and far between, we mostly know each other and have worked together in the past.
Keith (boatPI) and I have done several operations together. And I know he's busted a few rings that lead him across 4 counties and 3 states to nab all the players.
Sorry to hear of your friends loss. If it was insured, have her tell the Insurance Company to get ahold of Todd or Keith at Todd and Associates. They've got a pretty good record for recovering stolen boats. Thank you very much for the info Alan. I will pass that on. :)

C-2
03-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Charley might have the name of the San Diego detective (Elery I believe was her name), in Riverside County it was the RAID division of the Sheriff, an auto theft detail. There was also DA investigators involved.
Last I knew they had somebody under surveillance, don't know what happened after that.
Where is Baker Ranch?

Havasu Doug
03-14-2003, 08:53 PM
C-2:
Charley might have the name of the San Diego detective (Elery I believe was her name), in Riverside County it was the RAID division of the Sheriff, an auto theft detail. There was also DA investigators involved.
Last I knew they had somebody under surveillance, don't know what happened after that.
Where is Baker Ranch? Thank you C-2 for your info as well. This lady is really going to appreciate the quick responses and helpful info from you guys. As far as I know, she stored her boat in or near Parker, AZ. That is where she does all of her boating.
I will pass this info on as well.
Thank you very much.
:)

Boatcop
03-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Doug,
If it was taken from anywhere in Parker (Arizona side - La Paz County, I'd be on it. That is, if she reported it.
I've never heard of Baker Ranch Storage? :confused:
I re-read your original post, and saw it was already recovered, so Todd and Assoc. wouldn't get involved.
It's hard to nail these guys after they dump the boat. That is, until they try to unload the engine and drive, or the parts turn up in a subsequent investigation.

Havasu Doug
03-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Boatcop:
Doug,
If it was taken from anywhere in Parker (Arizona side - La Paz County, I'd be on it. That is, if she reported it.
I've never heard of Baker Ranch Storage? :confused:
I re-read your original post, and saw it was already recovered, so Todd and Assoc. wouldn't get involved.
It's hard to nail these guys after they dump the boat. That is, until they try to unload the engine and drive, or the parts turn up in a subsequent investigation. Yeah, I haven't heard of that storage facility either. We both live in Orange County, CA so maybe it's over here somewhere. I just sent her the link to this thread so she can follow it. :)
Thanks again guys! :)
H.D.

Mandelon
03-14-2003, 09:22 PM
I hate f*cking thieves! :mad: burningm burningm

DickDanger
03-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Mandelon:
I hate f*cking thieves! :mad: burningm burningm I couldnt have said it any better. You just wanna get these guys, and string them up by their f**king balls. -Dick Danger Out

bordsmnj
03-14-2003, 09:57 PM
thieves! :mad: burningm burningm [/qb][/QUOTE]I couldnt have said it any better. You just wanna get these guys, and string them up by their f**king balls. [/QB][/QUOTE]
yep.Ditto.

uvindex
03-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the boat theft. :(
I live in Lake Forest (CA), and there's a storage place here called Baker Ranch -- I used to keep my motorhome there -- there are lots of boats, RVs, cars and similar stored there. It is pretty isolated (surrounded by fields and an office building on all sides.) If that's the place, then it would be the Orange County Sheriff's Department handling the case -- they're the law enforcement folks for Lake Forest. Baker Ranch RV and Boat Storage is just off of Bake Parkway, near the intersection of Bake and Dimension.
I understand that someone above said the boat owner boats in Parker -- please remember that lots of Orange County folks who boat there tow their boats from Orange County, so don't assume that a CA boater who boats in Parker stores their boat in AZ. :)
Happy Boating,
CS

bordsmnj
03-14-2003, 10:01 PM
how do these jack asses fence the stuff,boat trader,recycler,e-bay? how and where do we keep look out for stolen crap as a boat society??(boat society.listen to me goin off!)..and what are the serial numbers or is the not a good thing to throw around?
[ March 14, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

bakerman
03-14-2003, 10:05 PM
:mad: That sucks :mad: sorry to here about the stolen boat can't people get boats the rite way and work for them! :mad:

Havasu Doug
03-14-2003, 10:08 PM
RatherBeInLHC:
Sorry to hear about the boat theft. :(
I live in Lake Forest (CA), and there's a storage place here called Baker Ranch -- I used to keep my motorhome there -- there are lots of boats, RVs, cars and similar stored there. It is pretty isolated (surrounded by fields and an office building on all sides.) If that's the place, then it would be the Orange County Sheriff's Department handling the case -- they're the law enforcement folks for Lake Forest. Baker Ranch RV and Boat Storage is just off of Bake Parkway, near the intersection of Bake and Dimension.
I understand that someone above said the boat owner boats in Parker -- please remember that lots of Orange County folks who boat there tow their boats from Orange County, so don't assume that a CA boater who boats in Parker stores their boat in AZ. :)
Happy Boating,
CS Yeah you're probably right on the place in Lake Forest. I know this women from the store I work at about 8 miles from there. I was thinking that she stored her boat in Parker only because one of my customers that I ALWAYS discuss boating with told me that she leaves her boat there. I guess it was a different customer though. :)

***boat
03-15-2003, 01:57 AM
bordsmnj:
how do these jack asses fence the stuff,boat trader,recycler,e-bay? how and where do we keep look out for stolen crap as a boat society??(boat society.listen to me goin off!)..and what are the serial numbers or is the not a good thing to throw around? Keep an eye out on e-bay. Many thieves are stupid enough to use e-bay to move parts. That or some of the other on-line auctions.

Cole
03-15-2003, 09:49 AM
I also used to store extra rental motorhomes during the off season and they run a tight ship ....how would they get in with out a pass code???

uvindex
03-15-2003, 10:22 AM
how would they get in with out a pass code??? Here's one way that comes to mind.... If the thieves were waiting around for a Baker Ranch customer to show up, they could simply follow the legitimate customer into the place (the gate stays open a pretty long time, since it is slow.) They could also enter when a customer left the yard. Then, after the thieves hitch up the boat, they can leave without a card key (the sensor opens the gate automatically for any leaving vehicle.) I remember several times when I didn't even need my cardkey to get in to the place, since someone was arriving or leaving when I got there.
This is a good cautionary tale for us all to put extra locks and stuff on our boats even when they're stored in seemingly secure areas. :)
Happy boating,
CS

Kilrtoy
03-15-2003, 10:58 AM
how do these jack asses fence the stuff,boat trader,recycler,e-bay? how and where do we keep look out for stolen crap as a boat society??(
Well the motor cost 35,000 and you want it but have no morals. So when the shit bag hits you up for that same motor for 5,000.00, you jump on it. Also there are shit bag mechanics that don't care to check and see if it's stolen, they just charge you extra...

Cole
03-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Do most of the motors have ID#s or any way of IDing them...if someone stole my motor i would have NO way of knowing if it were mine if it was recovered later!!!

novaguy
03-15-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this. As someone who had their boat stolen recently, I can tell you this really sucks. I hope she wasn't under-insured, like I was. My boat was recovered, however my boat was stripped, and now I am still piecing it back together. I hope these assholes get caught, but in reality, without any witnesses or informants, it's going to be tough catching these guys. Best of luck!

No strESSEX
03-15-2003, 05:13 PM
A couple years back I kept my boat stored at Baker Ranch, that is until my stainless prop was stolen. Not much security there. frown

Boatcop
03-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Do most of the motors have ID#s or any way of IDing them...if someone stole my motor i would have NO way of knowing if it were mine if it was recovered later!!!
All engines, drives, lower units, gimble housings, etc. have distinctive serial numbers. The boat manufacturer has all this info on file. If you have another engine, drive, etc. installed, the shop should have this info on file, too.
The numbers are crossed with the HIN (Hull ID Number) for recalls and warranty claims. Most claims only apply when the engine is still in the boat it was installed in.
Note to boaters:
Do NOT BUY ANY OF THESE COMPONENTS THAT DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL SERIAL NUMBERS ATTACHED!
Theives are replacing the serial number plates with blank ones, and claiming they are "remanufactured". It's BS. If they don't have the factory numbers on them, they are more than likely stolen. Also, if we, in the course of a routine examination, come across any engines, drives, etc. that don't have any numbers attached, we can seize the boat to investigate if the components are stolen. We don't like doing that, especially when the owner paid money for the parts. But, if someone pays $5,000 for a $35,000 engine, or $1,000 for a $10,000 Bravo drive, they have to KNOW that the thing is hot, and can also possibly be charged with receiving stolen property.
If there wasn't a ready market for these parts, they wouldn't be getting stolen in such great numbers.
You can also have any Mercury shop run the numbers on any used equipment you may want to buy. They are notified when an engine, drive, etc. is stolen, and have it flagged in their warranty computers.
If you haven't done it already, go out and write down all those numbers off of YOUR boat.That way if they're jacked, we can list those items in the National Stolen Item computers, and they will come up if they are run, anywhere in the Country. It makes our job easier, and will result in a better chance of your stuff being recovered.
[ March 15, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Havasu Doug
03-15-2003, 08:46 PM
No strESSEX:
A couple years back I kept my boat stored at Baker Ranch, that is until my stainless prop was stolen. Not much security there. :( What a small world No strESSEX. :) Trabuco Canyon is where I know this woman from. Do you ever go into the Albertson's there? My picture is on the wall less the "Havasu" title. :D

No strESSEX
03-15-2003, 10:25 PM
[/QUOTE]What a small world No strESSEX. :) Trabuco Canyon is where I know this woman from. Do you ever go into the Albertson's there? My picture is on the wall less the "Havasu" title. :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
I have been in there a couple times. I actually live in Wagon Wheel Canyon, which has a Trabuco Canyon address. I'll have to come by and say hi! :D
[ March 15, 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: No strESSEX ]

78DiMarco
03-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Good advice Alan, log all the numbers off the boat!
Dirtbags theives!! I hate them burningm burningm

78DiMarco
03-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Hey HD, nice website!!

Havasu Doug
03-16-2003, 09:46 AM
78DiMarco:
Hey HD, nice website!! Thanks. :D It's hard to find the time to update it though because the boards over there take up so much of my online time.
Thanks again, :D
H.D.

Charley
03-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Once again this bullshit occurs...... ironically enough I spoke with Detective Elery the other day.... they are following some leads and it sounded like they might be getting close to something but that is me reading a little into what she was saying... :mad:

sanger mike
03-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Thats just wrong. hey maybe if they catch them the nice detective would let us take a WACK I mean help interegate at say $10.00 a WACK. I bet we could raise some money real fast. :mad: burningm

Mandelon
03-16-2003, 01:10 PM
What a small world. Do you ever go into the Albertson's there? My picture is on the wall less the "Havasu" title. :D [/QB]I was in the post office the other day, I think I saw it there too.. :D

Kwicherbichen
03-18-2003, 03:30 AM
HD,
Sorry to hear one of your members lost a boat. It seems I read on the boards about another boat being stolen every week.
Instead of just reading about it all the time I decided to try to help out and wrote this article about boat theft (http://www.kwicherbichens.com/article_boat_theft.htm) on my site. There area also some links on the left side of the page that can help.
I can only hope it helps someone?
[ March 18, 2003, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Kwicherbichen ]

Havasu Doug
03-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Kwicherbichen:
HD,
Sorry to hear one of your members lost a boat. It seems I read on the boards about another boat being stolen every week.
Instead of just reading about it all the time I decided to try to help out and wrote this article about boat theft (http://www.kwicherbichens.com/article_boat_theft.htm) on my site. There area also some links on the left side of the page that can help.
I can only hope it helps someone? Thanks Brian,
Your article was very informative. Keep up the good work! :D

Boatcop
03-18-2003, 02:30 PM
I decided to try to help out and wrote this article about boat theft on my site. Good advice there, Brian. Except the part about engraving your Social Security Number. In these days of identity theft, a thief could use that info and screw with your life a whole lot more than just losing your boat.
Driver's license would suffice. DON'T PUT YOUR SSN ON ANYTHING that doesn't absolutely need it.

jerry billet
03-18-2003, 05:27 PM
I always worry about losing a boat, but last week, Wed. am some one stole one of my trucks, A 91' Peterbuilt. This was a show truck and was featured in the Protec calendar couple of years ago. Of course it had a brand new cat motor. We all lock up our boats and leave the big 18 wheelers in the yard.
Any time you get ripped off, you lose faith in the society. Totally not fair that now I have to work even harder to pay for the new truck.

Kwicherbichen
03-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Boatcop:
I decided to try to help out and wrote this article about boat theft on my site. Good advice there, Brian. Except the part about engraving your Social Security Number. In these days of identity theft, a thief could use that info and screw with your life a whole lot more than just losing your boat.
Driver's license would suffice. DON'T PUT YOUR SSN ON ANYTHING that doesn't absolutely need it. You are correct sir, that was my bad. Thanks for pointing my error out. Doh! BTW, are you still interested in writing an article or two?