PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving to Phoenix area!

totenhosen
12-30-2002, 01:53 PM
I just spend the last three days in Phoenix. I was amazed at how cheap housing is and how new and clean the city is. I think I would look in the Tempe area. I'm in commercial banking so I'm not worried about a job. But how is the overall life there? Are the summers really as unbearable as some say? Any suggestions or advice you have?

Slick
12-30-2002, 02:01 PM
If you work outside for a living, the summers suck. Other than that, it's not that bad after you've been here a couple summers.
There's a lot to do here with decent lakes in every direction. Not to mention you're about an hour closer to the river than SoCal.
I'm looking for a new house as we speak. Tempe is okay. You can get a lot of house in the East-Valley for the money but traffic really sucks to get downtown everyday. Try North-Phoenix or Scottsdale.
Here is a link to get you started:
http://www.azcentral.com/hbc/search.php
Slick

Party Cat
12-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Slick:
Not to mention you're about an hour closer to the river than SoCal.
Slick If it's closer, then why do the peeps from SoCal get out to the river more than you :D :D :D :D

Slick
12-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Touché, Douche

totenhosen
12-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Slick:
You can get a lot of house in the East-Valley for the money but traffic really sucks to get downtown everyday. Try North-Phoenix or Scottsdale.
Slick Traffic is commuting from Pasadena to downtown L.A. on a daily basis. 12 miles takes about 45-75 minutes on a good day. But I'll definately keep that in mind.

Party Cat
12-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Slick:
Touché, Douche I had to do it :D :D
We missed ya Sat night.......well actually your better half :D :D :D

Powerquestboy
12-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Phoenix is allot of fun, I've been here for 5 years and still cant get used to the heat..its out of hand. The only possible way to survive is to go to the lake every weekend. You have several good lakes within 45 minutes in either direction, and only about 3 hours to Havasu. If you commute to LA, traffic will be a breeze for you. I love Pasadena and would never leave there if I were you but Phoenix has allot to offer and its pretty tough to beat brand new 3 bedroom homes for 130K.

PowellScooter
12-30-2002, 07:31 PM
Lived in Scottsdale for 10 yrs, was there for the 125^ day, wife lived in the pool while pregnant with first son, the heat is not unbearable, you go from your air conditioned house to your a/c car to the a/c mall or work or....The Phx valley has all gang/crime/big city stuff we didnt want so we moved because we didnt want to raise the boys in that enviornment. Its isolated here but my boat hasnt been messed with parked at the house I enjoy riding the scooter to work and I was out of town all last weekend and I wasnt sure if I locked my house but it wasnt a major concern. I enjoyed living there, but here is better, its all about whats important to you...

JohnnyBaker
01-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Check out web page (http://anthemarizona.com) - great development

Eric455
01-01-2003, 12:51 PM
I live in glendale, ca i want to move to arizona. perferably Lake havasu city area. now as far as jobs go i think i can make it on my own. i want to open up a small fastfood TO-GO resaurant, my family is in the buisness. If anyone can give me some info about that city it will be very helpfull. well you know i've been to lake havasu before but only on holiday weekends. and i really want to know from a residents point of view about the city. thanx again for taking your time to read this. i am going to drive to lake havasu saturday night. just to see how the city is... restaurants for sale, place to stay, jobs, ect... just to scoop the place out. so if you guys can give me any info A.S.A.P. it will be great.
thanx
eric

JetBoatRich
01-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Eric455:
I live in glendale, ca i want to move to arizona. perferably Lake havasu city area. now as far as jobs go i think i can make it on my own. i want to open up a small fastfood TO-GO resaurant, my family is in the buisness. If anyone can give me some info about that city it will be very helpfull. well you know i've been to lake havasu before but only on holiday weekends. and i really want to know from a residents point of view about the city. thanx again for taking your time to read this. i am going to drive to lake havasu saturday night. just to see how the city is... restaurants for sale, place to stay, jobs, ect... just to scoop the place out. so if you guys can give me any info A.S.A.P. it will be great.
thanx
eric What happen to our other investment? :o

Eric455
01-01-2003, 05:29 PM
lets do it man lets buy out CABLE VISION. okay by me. wait which investment are you talking about??? lol
eric

JetBoatRich
01-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Eric455:
lets do it man lets buy out CABLE VISION. okay by me. wait which investment are you talking about??? lol
eric Just Havasu, I don't want to much.

Eric455
01-01-2003, 06:05 PM
no problem hey PM with your phone # i think i've lost it. thanx

JetBoatRich
01-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Eric455:
no problem hey PM with your phone # i think i've lost it. thanx Done deal.

roln 20s
01-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Phoenix is a really nice city. I live in the Northwest Valley, one of the fastest growing areas in one of the fastest growing cities. Our home appreciated from 1990 til 1999 from 140K to 225K. The value of houses are going up by the day. You can buy new homes from the lows $100s, but they are just farther out from town. It now takes about 45 minutes to get downtown from my house during rush hour, when i can get there in 25 tops without traffic. I agree with North/Northwest Valley for housing. However, according to the experts, the southwest valley is going to be the place to be. A new mall planned, another outer loop freeway, cheap houses, possibly "a lithium battery company" building a 250,000 sq ft facility. Homes will appreciate very fast. My mom bought an acre for 80K out there and the last one sold next to them for $110. The new lot releases are starting at $125K. Its amazing, but I will be the first to say that Phoenix is becoming So Cal with people, traffic and the rest- IMO. Good luck and email me if you have any specific Q's.
Roln 20s

THOR
01-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Roln,
Is the NW valley out by Deer Valley RD? I am kind of familiar with the area. I used to play a ton of softball there.
I lived in Vegas for a few years and it is actually hotter in AZ I think.

totenhosen
01-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all your comments guys.

roln 20s
01-02-2003, 11:38 AM
THOR-
Yes, NW Valley includes Deer Valley road. My house is actually a mile south of DV road. If you are familiar with the Arrowhead Mall- I live a mile from it. My cross streets are basically the Loop 101 freeway and 67th ave. Where did you play softball around here?
Roln 20s

THOR
01-02-2003, 12:57 PM
The victory lane complex. It seemed like a cool area from what I saw. Nice foothill area there.

Jordy
01-02-2003, 01:50 PM
You have to stay out of the avenues though (which includes the west valley) as everything bad happens in the avenues. Sorry west siders, had to jerk your chain a little bit here. :D :D :D

carreraelite
01-02-2003, 02:05 PM
NOTHING HAPPENS ON THE EAST SIDE!! GET REAL!! Two or three guys beat another to death for no reason, two brothers kill there parents, a lady is caught dumping her husbands headless body in a dumpster,a guy burns down houses that are being built,all on the east side!! Shall I go on??Get over the whole east west thing ,I don't see as it has any bearing on what happens where!!

Jordy
01-02-2003, 02:12 PM
You seem awfully touchy about this whole subject... :D :D :D

carreraelite
01-02-2003, 02:17 PM
everything bad happens in the avenues.
Just pointing out ,your observations are incorrect.

roln 20s
01-02-2003, 02:30 PM
THOR-
I had a feeling you were referring to Victory Lane. That is a nice complex. You should see all of the houses that have gone up over there-- why don't I just say "No empty space."
EAST-WEST WHAT?
The only thing about the west side is that it isn't recognized by the media. West valley to them is Indian School and 35th Ave. The NW valley doesn't exist- eventhough I seem to live here.
If I lived anywhere on the EAST valley, it would be AWAHTUKEE! Does that even count as EAST VALLEY?
DON'T mess with the west-side :D
Roln 20s

carreraelite
01-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey roln,Did you make it out to lake Pleasant on Wednesday for the Chili cook off??
[ January 02, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: carreraelite ]

roln 20s
01-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Yeah, a buddy rolled out to Pleasant with me. We just cruised around, but never actually went to the chili cookoff. Meet doghouse and pleasantcat out there. I think they planned on stopping by it. When we were by the ramp, they had just started.
Roln 20s

Kurtis500
01-03-2003, 02:22 PM
East west, all depends on where. I've spent 11 1/2 years on the fire department here (half for Rural/Metro and half for Phoenix so far) and have had the opportunity to see where most places have thier dumps. I love the west side, but depends on where. I bought 2 acres in Clearwater Farms which I just paid off and love that area. I worked in Scotsdale for 3 of my years at R/M and can tell you most all of the city is clean and very nice. Except for some parts in the south. 66th street and Earl, Granite Reef and Roosevelt area and a few other little spots. My favorite area in Scottsdale is around Via Linda and Moutain View area, all those homes south of there up against the reservation. Nice and quiet in there. Fountain Hills is nice too, close to Saguaro Lake. But my top pick is where I live and where I grow up, north central. I live south and east of the big church at Central and Bethany now. I love this area.
my .02

DogHouse
01-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Totenhosen, if you get out here again, take a drive up through Cave Creek/Carefree/Pinnacle Peak/North Snottsdale. It's very nice up there and not a bad commute if you work on the north end of Phx.
-brian

totenhosen
01-03-2003, 02:53 PM
DogHouse:
Totenhosen, if you get out here again, take a drive up through Cave Creek/Carefree/Pinnacle Peak/North Snottsdale. It's very nice up there and not a bad commute if you work on the north end of Phx.
-brian I'll be cruising out the first weekend of Feb to check things out more specifically

DogHouse
01-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Sent ya an email...