PDA

View Full Version : Boating Accident at Martinez

Lightning
08-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Does anyone have any details on the boating accident this past weekend above the Party Sandbar at Martinez? It looked like it was a really bad accident - I hope everyone involved is doing well. All I saw was a boat under water, 2 jet skis, and two Sheriff boats. I heard many different variations on the story...
One person said that the jetski t-boned the boat and sank it and the guy that was on the jetski got thrown off and was decapited. The guy that told me this story was pretty ripped, and this scenario sounds really unlikely, so I don't know.
Another person said that someone had a heart attack that was involved in the accident, but was unable to tell me anything else.
Another person said that these were two totally unrelated issues.
Anyhow, if anyone can provide some details on the incident, I would like to know the real story.

Kwicherbichen
08-19-2002, 03:34 AM
Ari, we talked to Kim's uncle (who was at the Fisher ramp when the casualties came in) and he said it was a head on collision PWC-vs-Boat. Other than that, I don't have any info. I did see a boat scream past us and it looked like someone was getting CPR. The Sheriff boat was right behind them.

dicker
08-19-2002, 12:10 PM
No first hand info to share, but here's an article in the Yuma Sun website... http://www.yumasun.com/artman/publish/story_1233.shtml
"A man died Saturday afternoon after a boating accident at Martinez Lane, according to Rural Metro and Yuma Regional Medical Center.
The man, whose name wasn't available, was riding a personal watercraft that was hit by a boat, according to Patrick Foley, a spokesman for Rural Metro. The victim sustained critical injuries and was knocked into the water, according to Foley.
While en route from the lake to YRMC, the man's heart stopped beating. Ambulance personnel worked to save him all the way to the hospital, but they were unable to restart his heart, Foley said. At the hospital, other attempts were made to save his life. The life-saving attempts were futile.
Yuma County deputies were called to investigate. Details about the accident weren't available from the sheriff's office because the watch commander didn't return telephone calls from The Sun."
-Dicker

Lightning
08-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Here's another article that I found.
click here (http://www.msnbc.com/local/KYMA/M216694.asp?0ct=-302)

dicker
08-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Not to make light of these tragedies, but I have to wonder when a professional writer makes this kind of typo:
"The man was rescued by Rural Metro and was also taken to YRMC in critical condition with severed head trauma. "
Huh... I didn't know they could treat someone for a severed head.
-Dicker

TOBTEK
08-19-2002, 02:36 PM
im very sorry to hear of this, I wish my best to the friends and family involved.

ROZ
08-19-2002, 03:04 PM
By the way, remember the last major accident(explosion I think) that happened there last month? One of the kids died.

spectratoad
08-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Geez Lightning, That article that you linked had some awesome writing going on there. "critical condition with severed head trauma" gotta love that one. Kind of like the "bizarred story" also. :p

HM
08-19-2002, 05:52 PM
severe....not severed. Unless they fixed it before I saw it.

ratpride
08-22-2002, 09:32 PM
Lightning:
Does anyone have any details on the boating accident this past weekend above the Party Sandbar at Martinez? It looked like it was a really bad accident - I hope everyone involved is doing well. All I saw was a boat under water, 2 jet skis, and two Sheriff boats. I heard many different variations on the story...
One person said that the jetski t-boned the boat and sank it and the guy that was on the jetski got thrown off and was decapited. The guy that told me this story was pretty ripped, and this scenario sounds really unlikely, so I don't know.
Another person said that someone had a heart attack that was involved in the accident, but was unable to tell me anything else.
Another person said that these were two totally unrelated issues.
Anyhow, if anyone can provide some details on the incident, I would like to know the real story.