PDA

View Full Version : If you tow on the 10 FWY, or the CHP did me a good turn

Trailer Park Casanova
05-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Bought a new twin engine super power boat last year.
I had dreams of gaining River and Catalina status in the same realm as HONCHO. Just a dream of a life time river lover.
Had it about two weeks, and was taking it in for some minor warranty work before the first big river trip.
I was on the the 10 Fwy headed East,, just as I crossed the 710 fwy,, two cars passed me, one on the right from the transition road, the other on the left from the number 2 lane, then they jumped in front of me and slammed on their brakes.
I hit them at about 50 MPH,,my airbag deployed,, the boat left the trailer and ended up about a hundred yards away on the FWY shoulder.
My new Truck destroyed,, the new boat totaled too.
My thoughts were this is strange,, what the hell happened? Something isn't right. I was pretty punchstruck from the impact and the airbag.
The lead car that jumped in front of me finally restarted,, and took off,, the middle car, badly damaged, the passengers staying inside,, not talking to anyone until the CHP arrived.
The CHP rolled up and took a cold hard look at the situation.
I said to the Officer: "Well, there you have it". then turned and looked at the carnage.
The CHP officer took a good sniff of my breath,,, figured I wasn't drinking,,, and then took me aside.
He said,, "You are the victim of a swoop and squat", and gave me instructions of what to tell my insurance company,, Triple A, and what else to do from there.
I won't go any farther in explaining what else the CHP did for me,, but it was a good turn that helped me out in several ways, especially in court when these punks sued me, .,,, which after a long time of hearings and appearances all over Southern Calif., ,, concluded last week,, and I won.
I talked to the CHP officers last week and they told me the swoop and squat scam is still alive and well on the 10 FWY. Dozens of different con artist groups are involved in it.
Beware,, as you are passed,, slow down,, heads up.
These guys have no consideration at all for innocent people that may get killed in this scam. None whatsoever.
Triple A was teriffic too in this battle.
I have a new boat now, they paid for everything, I didn't get gigged on my insurance rateing,,, life is good.
Trouble is I can't insure with Triple A now because Havasu is excluded from their coverage area.
This whole ordeal was a long, long hard journey,, and I hope I can spare someone else this grief.
[ May 26, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

bordsmnj
05-26-2003, 07:53 PM
what an ordeal. glad to hear it had a happy ending. kinda sticks me the wrong way to hear about a-holes like that. i not sure i woulda bothered hitting the brakes. they can have my truck..but the boat? DEAD people can't sue!

woodster
05-26-2003, 08:10 PM
AAA is excluded from havasu??? I have AAA and my agent said im covered any where in the US..WTF?

Trailer Park Casanova
05-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Last I enquired, in person,, the agent told me Parker is now again OK (been off and on coverage for Parker),, but Havasu and Mead are excluded.
This may have changed in the last few months,, but was in effect when I went in, checkbook in hand, new boat in the parking lot.
Hope this helps you,, read the exclusions paragraph on your policy,, maybe it's changed.
Hope so. Good company to deal with when your good fortune goes South.
[ May 26, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Hallett
05-26-2003, 08:21 PM
MAN WHAT A STORY IM GLAD YOU ARE OK.
IT'S TO BAD THE BOAT DID NOT HIT THEM.

PlayTime
05-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Glad to hear it turned out ok, I travel 10 fwy and I will be much more carefull then before. Thanks for the heads up.

beached 1
05-27-2003, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the info. Glad you weren't hurt

JetBoatRich
05-27-2003, 05:42 AM
Great story, glad it all worked out for you :) No coverage in Havasu :confused: after looking at the pictures from this past weekend, you have to understand frown

Wet Dream
05-27-2003, 03:01 PM
Glad all is ok for you, but damn, it has to be pretty shitty when an insurance company won't cover you on certain lakes because of all the damage that can be done there.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-27-2003, 03:22 PM
I appreciate the comments. Beware!
They pick nice new tow vehicles with nice toys in tow. Easy prey, they know they're insured.
A follow up to this story is the boat was sold for salvage value by AAA. The adjuster told me no reputable fiberglass shop would attempt to repair the severe damage to the hull and drives.
A third party bought it, re glassed over the bottom, and fixed the damaged drives and sold it.
I got a phone call late last summer from Triple A. They had been contacted by, and asked me to call back the poor soul that bought the boat from the sheisters that glassed over the damage.
I called him, and he told me it was at the bottom of Lake Mojave. The bottom repair job seperated and fell off. The boat sank in about two minutes.
He had no idea the boat was ever involved in any accident when he bought it. He though he was getting a great deal on a "Repo".
His insurance company made good on the policy, and he recovered most his money, including raising the boat and lake removal.

Coach
05-27-2003, 07:52 PM
That is why public stonings need to come back. Pay per View beatings and whippings for all the f'd-up that are too lazy to work SOB's that are destroying this country. You know the F'n Liberals will find some sorry ass excuse to try to save them. Screw that Pay per view and we run the bastards over with their own cars. burningm burningm

BoatPI
05-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Glad you were not killed. You were the victim of insurance fraud, known as "staged accidents." The CA department of Insurance investigators actively investigate these crimes. They cost lives, and companies millions. Thus driving up rates for all of us. Most involved are from Central America. Plain and simple.
AAA is a great company. They failed to do the right thing. Cut the hull in half to prevent the reconstruction of your totaled boat.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-31-2003, 09:38 AM
They told me it was their understanding that the hull would be demolished.
I was raised in low rank poverty, and have finally risen to the point where I can drink with the Republicans at the Headgate Sand Bar,, and these A holes damn near took it away.
Triple A told me if I was willing to make appearances and go through the legal system, they'd back me up. They did and then some. The lawyers I worked with were from a Prince of Darkness law firm and we fought like pitbulls.
Appearances from South Orange County to all over LA County.
We now travel on the 210 when we can,, and I only post this to warn others of my fate.
It really really sucked, had the kid been along,,we would have had a tragedy.
Their favorite targets are Motorhomes, especially MoHo's towing heavy loads.
The new GMC with an Extreem trailer stops shorter than not towing,,, but still,, they mark you and take a shot at you,,,
Defeat them!!!
[ May 31, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

rvrkaosI
05-31-2003, 09:59 AM
As* h*les! They try to make a quick buck on the lives of others! :mad: We work so hard for our toys, and to ejoy them as well, then you get some jerk looking to ruin the whole rig on the account of getting their pockets heavier and for them to have Larry Parker say " Larry parker got me 2.1 million". They should all fry in hell! devil

stix818
05-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Man that's pretty F**KED up. Definitely a pretty crazy story. Glad to hear they didn't get away with it. rvrkaosI you said it right. My old man always told me that you don't F**K with a working man's possessions.

Backfire
05-31-2003, 03:59 PM
I was a L.A. local trucker for over 15 years before moving to Havasu 12 years ago. They started that swoop and squat scam on big rigs because of the million dollar liability coverage, but after a few carloads of them were killed and they were continuously tracked to the same lawyer, a bunch of them were put in jail (including the lawyer). It's logical that they'd switch to tow rigs because the brakes often aren't good enough to be runnin with the car traffic and getting killed is less likely. I was once waiting to pull out of a driveway onto Alameda when I witnessed one of these. I gave the victim my number, talked to his insurer, and was willing to travel from Havasu to testify because I was pissed even though the victim was a stranger to me. He was simply a businessman appearing guy driving an especially nice car, so I think the key to this is the appearance of affluence and ample insurance makes you a target

Trailer Park Casanova
06-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Backfire:
but after a few carloads of them were killed and they were continuously tracked to the same lawyer, a bunch of them were put in jail (including the lawyer). It's logical that they'd switch to tow rigs because the brakes often aren't good enough to be runnin with the car traffic and getting killed is less likely. I think the key to this is the appearance of affluence and ample insurance makes you a target Yep,, I failed to mention it's carloads of punks and you get lawsuits from all directions if you survive. If you don't,, the lawsuits still come for your family to deal with. The dead can't be sued,, but a dead persons estate can be.
By the way, the super lawfirm that Triple A set me up with sent a lawyer that was a dead ringer for a young Princess Grace Kelly.
A total 10,, total knockout.
Everbody had to duck when someone turned around because we all had woodies.
I'd made a move ,, but I think I saw her at the river with someone that has more money than me like Riverdave,,
Besides,, I didn't have my tux on,,
DAMFINO
[ June 01, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]