PDA

View Full Version : PWC Banned on Mead & Mohave

JennDonB
08-02-2002, 04:07 PM
I just got a letter from Seven Crown Resorts saying that as of Sept 15,2002, all PWC are prohibited from Lake Mead & Lake Mohave. This ban is a result of a law suit filed by the tree hugging group The Blue Water Network of San Francisco.
For more info got to http://www.nps.gov/lame/pwc.html
Are boats next?

THOR
08-05-2002, 06:10 AM
It came about from the Bluwater organization getting tired of waiting for the NPS to perform their polution study of 'in-water' exhaust. Well, the NPS dragged their feet, now there is a law suit and PWCs are banned.
Personally, I hate those things, but outboards and smog emissions are next for the hi-performance boats out there.

burning cole
08-05-2002, 06:27 AM
Yippee, that is the best news of the summer. Those damn things should have banned years ago. Causing 80% of water related accidents! When are the going to banned in all other waterways?

beached1
08-05-2002, 07:37 AM
burning cole:
Causing 80% of water related accidents! =
Where did you come up with that statistic?

HM
08-05-2002, 08:50 AM
JennDonB:
I just got a letter from Seven Crown Resorts saying that as of Sept 15,2002, all PWC are prohibited from Lake Mead & Lake Mohave. This ban is a result of a law suit filed by the tree hugging group The Blue Water Network of San Francisco.
For more info got to http://www.nps.gov/lame/pwc.html
Are boats next?This is a temporary ban - hopefully the environmental study will support that they can still be used. I know many people hate PWC's, but once a precedent is set at banning some type of recreational watercraft, then it becomes a slippery slope!

Hotcrusader76
08-05-2002, 11:25 AM
Now the select few idiot drivers of PWC's will buy the boats.....so now there will be more idiot boat drivers....
Cool eek!

NashvilleBound
08-05-2002, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by burning cole:
[QB]Yippee, that is the best news of the summer. Those damn things should have banned years ago. Causing 80% of water related accidents!
Where DID you get those statistics???? I thought it was 95%!! Best news I have heard all year. NB

beached1
08-05-2002, 09:31 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Now the select few idiot drivers of PWC's will buy the boats.....so now there will be more idiot boat drivers....
Cool eek! Which will give the tree hugging freaks a reason to ban power boats too. Get the picture people?

lakesmodified
08-06-2002, 07:40 AM
Let me start by informing those of you that think this ban great: If these assholes ban PWC's from these lakes, do you think they will stop there? Of course not, next will be the 2-stroke outboard engines... Still doesn't affect your blown BBC?, well, just wait, they'll eventually get to you. I've owned at least one boat(sometimes more than 3 at a time)during the last 20 years. At present, I own a 17 FT Targa, BDS Blown 460 Ford jet drive, I also own 2 Yamaha wave runners. Any ban, is wrong and should be fought. We have in this board a great opportunity to reach thousands of boaters/pwc owner/operators... Everyone needs to get involved and write your State reps, senators, etc... Or, just sit back and enjoy the ban... Just don't cry when they ban your type of watercraft.. Ivan :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

burning cole
08-06-2002, 08:37 AM
beached1, NashvilleBound,
That stat was from botcops thred about a week ago, but can not find it.

burning cole
08-06-2002, 08:47 AM
dangit, tried to find it but to no avail. If someone can get a hold of boat cop I would really like to have those stats. It was pretty interesting.
Thanks

HM
08-06-2002, 09:27 AM
The tree huggers don't care how many accidents the PWC's cause, they just use that as their ammo.
Reality is, the tree huggers want all man made stuff to go away, no matter how green the technology is. In fact, most tree huggers would be happy to see most of the humans fall of the face of this earth. When you understand what they think, you realize all this green technologies are just steps along their goal to complete banning of everything they are against - which is the human race. It is the same with groups like PETA and so forth.
That is why we need to move to the offensive - and get off of defense. If we put them on the defense of battling against new threats to their world, they will have less time at trying to take away things we already have and enjoy. Most of their scientific data is crap....if the data does not match what they think, then they manipulate the data, because they know better.
Did you know that Yellow Stone National Park service was succesfully sued a couple of years ago for providing false data on an endangered owls? They actually made up data about decreasing numbers of these owls. It did not make very many headlines - because the News is also an organiztion who thinks they know better regardless of the facts.
my .02 worth.
[ August 06, 2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

Jordy
08-06-2002, 10:00 AM
HolyMoly:
Did you know that Yellow Stone National Park service was succesfully sued a couple of years ago for providing false data on an endangered owls? They actually made up data about decreasing numbers of these owls.I posted this in another thread, but I think it fits here too:
From the webpage of the Bluewater Network:
"The world's leading scientists recently concluded that the concentration of the key greenhouse gases that cause global warming is higher today than during the past 420,000 years. In the case of carbon dioxide, it is likely that today's atmospheric concentration is higher than any time during the past 20 million years."
You have to question any organization that makes claims of conclusions dating back 420,000 years. Last time I checked, they really didn't start measuring any of these levels until well in to the 1900's, like the 1960's and later. There is no way to know what kind of thermal cycles the earth travels through over the course of millions of years as there is no way to track it. At any rate, these are the kind of people that strike fear in the uninformed and get laws pushed though. Be afraid, be very afraid.
As LakesModified pointed out, no matter how much of a pain in the ass PWC's are, getting them banned gets the foot in the door for these eco-terrorist organizations by setting a legal precident. Now, two-stroke PWC's are banned. How long do you think it will take for a sneaky lawyer to file a suit and make the argument in court to a judge, who may or may not be a boater, that two-stroke outboards create just as much pollution as the PWC's and then cite this case as cause for banning two-stroke outboards, but of course make an argument that they also disturb the environment and fish nesting areas etc. When that lawsuit is won and two-stroke outboards are banned, how long do you think it will take for the next lawsuit to be filed against ALL prop boats citing these two cases as a precident, of course only making reference to the wake and propulsion disturbance mentioned briefly in the outboard argument.
That is the way I would do it if I were to be trying to get something banned. It is all a matter of linking the case you are working on to one that was already won, no matter how flimsy the argument. They have already won the major battle as they have a foot in the door.
Jordan

riverracerx
08-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Next thing they will try to ban is thong bikinis...then we will all suffer.
Hey I recycle. I open the can, I drink what's in it, I piss it back into the dirt and it waters a plant!
And the can in the landfill becomes minerals found in the soil 1000 years from now to make something new. Circle of life :D