PDA

View Full Version : Covers/Garages/Canopy?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I want to build a boat cover in the back yard but don't want something as cheezie as the Cosco one. Any body know where to get one. I can't build a steel building nor do I want to spend the $. I have searched the internet but can't get excited over them. Who has one they are happy with?

Biglue
03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
The costco one suck bro. I tried those and they are a pain in the ass. Wind shifts them around. They do leak when it rains. Constantly having to tighten the bungess that come with it. After a while the white covers look dirty and dated. I actually thought of asking this very question. It would be interesting to hear what others are doing.

Mandelon
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I saw a steel carport kit at Home Depot over the weekend. for posts, joists and steel panels for the roof, I but you could get sides too.

riverracerx
03-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Just back that thing into your pool and throw a towel over the transom. :p

al cole'holic
03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
..how bout building a patio cover to match the house or existing patio cover, I've got a good guy.. :)

the_gray_goose
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
These things are great.
castaic marine uses them in their storage yard.
Buy 2 Baller,so that I have a place for mine in SCV.
http://www.shelterking.com/
http://www.shelterlogic.com/images/our_photos.jpg

Whipped Caliber
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.canopymasters.com/bungee.htm
www.jccshade.com
:p

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks so far. Anyone use these? Any more Ideas?

Redneck
03-15-2006, 06:56 AM
The costco one suck bro. I tried those and they are a pain in the ass. Wind shifts them around. They do leak when it rains. Constantly having to tighten the bungess that come with it. After a while the white covers look dirty and dated. I actually thought of asking this very question. It would be interesting to hear what others are doing.
I took mine back to costco after a year and got a full refund then I put up a steel carport next to my house been very happy with it. its a 13x40 with one side inclosed and the back enclosed. (house is the otherside enclosed) I love it boat is staying nice and warm. I thnk I payed like 2600 from a guy in lancaster pm me if you want his #. I have a friend that got a cover from him in like 1994 and it looks brand new still.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-15-2006, 09:05 AM
I took mine back to costco after a year and got a full refund then I put up a steel carport next to my house been very happy with it. its a 13x40 with one side inclosed and the back enclosed. (house is the otherside enclosed) I love it boat is staying nice and warm. I thnk I payed like 2600 from a guy in lancaster pm me if you want his #. I have a friend that got a cover from him in like 1994 and it looks brand new still.
Check pms!

andy01
03-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Do you have any pictures of it?

sigepmock
03-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I manufacture the parts to make steel carports and buildings, studs, beams, siding etc....I owe enough favors to Hot Boaters that I'll make you all a smoking deal( basically at cost) on any parts you need if you can find someone to install it.
PM if interested,
Chris Mock

SummitKarl
03-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I want to build a boat cover in the back yard but don't want something as cheezie as the Cosco one. Any body know where to get one. I can't build a steel building nor do I want to spend the $. I have searched the internet but can't get excited over them. Who has one they are happy with?
I heard of a guy in Havasu offering 16' x 24' (I think) steel car ports for $998 installed, I keep meaning to stop by his shop and take a look

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-16-2006, 06:55 AM
I manufacture the parts to make steel carports and buildings, studs, beams, siding etc....I owe enough favors to Hot Boaters that I'll make you all a smoking deal( basically at cost) on any parts you need if you can find someone to install it.
PM if interested,
Chris Mock
Well ya!!!

marty722
03-16-2006, 08:58 AM
The guy at the swapmeet sales a good product. I bought one for My RV and it's a good solid frame. The cover will last 1 to 2 yrs.....

2Driver
03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
had the plastic/fabric type. They can become a green house if you are not careful and turn your boat or car into a mold experiment gone bad. Be sure to ventilate.

jetboater5
03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Give these guy's a try I have bought 2 from them never a problem.
http://www.absoluterv.com/

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
These things are great.
castaic marine uses them in their storage yard.
Buy 2 Baller,so that I have a place for mine in SCV.
http://www.shelterking.com/
http://www.shelterlogic.com/images/our_photos.jpg
Anyone have one of these?

SoCalHD
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM
PM if interested,
Chris Mock
You guys do good work :)

marty722
03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
I have one over my 32 foot rv? keeps it dry in the winter and keeps the sun off of the roof in the summer. Best investment I made,

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-17-2006, 08:07 AM
I have one over my 32 foot rv? keeps it dry in the winter and keeps the sun off of the roof in the summer. Best investment I made,
Is it the Shelter King one?

Restless22
03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Anyone have one of these?
Yes. They hold up great in weather. Just remember to get the vents. It does not breath to well. I would buy another!

Terminal Velocity
03-17-2006, 09:43 AM
PM if interested,
Chris Mock
How big do you go? My dad is looking to build a garage at his place in SLC. in the range of 40X60 or so possibly a little bigger. Do you engineer for snow loads? Also do you have recommendations for footing and foundation designs or is that left up to the buyer? I have the means to design them but was just wondering.
Thanks
James

sigepmock
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
How big do you go? My dad is looking to build a garage at his place in SLC. in the range of 40X60 or so possibly a little bigger. Do you engineer for snow loads? Also do you have recommendations for footing and foundation designs or is that left up to the buyer? I have the means to design them but was just wondering.
Thanks
James
A division of our company does Pre-engineered buildings of all sizes....check out the website
www.mtldir.com
Engineered foundation plans can be bought as part of the building package for an additional $300 charge or so. PM me and I can get you more info, I am not the expert but can put you in contact with our guy that is and make sure he gives you the ***boat deal.
Chris

ThongMagnet
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Just finished a metal building in my backyard. 20x30 w/220Velectric. The side walls are 10ft 6inches w/16x9 garage door. I insulated it with 1.5" thich foamboard insulation. I put in a window unit A/C unit that is rated to handle 1600 sqft.
Took 6 months to design and get it permited through the city of Phoenix. Then 3 days to dig footings, rebar, and pour slab. Wait two weeks for concrete to cure, and building went up in two 10 hour days.
I stored my boat outside for years. This is how I did it.
1) Buy a nice custom boat cover that fits your whole boat (Swim platform, outdrive, the works.
2) Buy a cheap boat cover that covers the entire boat (to protect your nice cover), and a barrier to keep dust and dirt out of boats cockpit
3) Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap tarp that covers your entire boat. (This tarp will begin to dryout and fall apart). Replace it once a year. It is water proof, and will keep mositure out.
4) Use lots of bungee cords to secure each covers.
Each layer acts a a support system for the next cover, and water can not pool up on top of the tarp.
Initial investment can be just as much as a wal-mart portable carport, but once the covers are bought, its only $25-40 to replace a Blue Trap (30x25)

H20 Toie
03-18-2006, 01:32 AM
h ey mifek whre did yo go we tried to find yo ant the bar before i got fucjhk up oh ewell have ggo d one

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Just finished a metal building in my backyard. 20x30 w/220Velectric. The side walls are 10ft 6inches w/16x9 garage door. I insulated it with 1.5" thich foamboard insulation. I put in a window unit A/C unit that is rated to handle 1600 sqft.
Took 6 months to design and get it permited through the city of Phoenix. Then 3 days to dig footings, rebar, and pour slab. Wait two weeks for concrete to cure, and building went up in two 10 hour days.
I stored my boat outside for years. This is how I did it.
1) Buy a nice custom boat cover that fits your whole boat (Swim platform, outdrive, the works.
2) Buy a cheap boat cover that covers the entire boat (to protect your nice cover), and a barrier to keep dust and dirt out of boats cockpit
3) Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap tarp that covers your entire boat. (This tarp will begin to dryout and fall apart). Replace it once a year. It is water proof, and will keep mositure out.
4) Use lots of bungee cords to secure each covers.
Each layer acts a a support system for the next cover, and water can not pool up on top of the tarp.
Initial investment can be just as much as a wal-mart portable carport, but once the covers are bought, its only $25-40 to replace a Blue Trap (30x25)
That is exactly why I want a garage. I would never use the boat if I had to do all of that.

Debbolas
03-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Scream and Ahhell tried to constuct the bungee cord one and the wind tore it up....
They were working on another one............
Good Luck!