PDA

View Full Version : Caution Rice Road

bigboy78
03-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Just a quick heads up, I'm working on Rice Rd Monday thru Thursday, and we are repaving from the 10 to the 66. There will be around 20 minute delays so it might be a good idea to go all the way to Blythe. Also in that area be careful passing, some places where we have paved on one side of the road and not the other, the lip can cause you to lose control especially pulling a boat. One more caution, CHP is all over that road while construction is taking place. Please don't scream at me, I'm just hauling the asphalt up. If it was up to me we would be doing it at night. Construction should end April 3rd.

Boatcop
03-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Don't you mean to the 62?
That would be from Desert Center to the 29 Palms turn-off, correct?

bigboy78
03-30-2003, 10:56 AM
My bad, the 10 to the 62 oops! Good watching out.

SCUBA STEVE
03-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Will it be done by thursday night? I plan on going through there thursday around 11pm on my way to Havasu. I dont like going the 15 to the 40. The cajon pass kills me.

bigboy78
03-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Yes, as long as there isn't any problems on the job or at the plant we should be finish Thursday by 5 pm.

SCUBA STEVE
03-30-2003, 02:44 PM
I hope everything goes as planned. Thanks for the update. :)

Beautiful Noise
03-30-2003, 02:51 PM
bigboy78:
My bad, the 10 to the 62 oops! Good watching out. That's BoatCop's Job wink wink :rolleyes:
Steve

jm2drvr
03-30-2003, 03:22 PM
I stopped going that way, the last 3 times I've been on rice road, I'v gotten flats on my trailer...no mas rice road for me!

bigboy78
03-30-2003, 06:01 PM
That's funny you say that, a lot of truck drivers got flats last week. But we also had to run on the shoulder most of the time

uvindex
03-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Hey BigBoy78: Just got back to Orange County from Havasu. We took Rice Road there and back this weekend, and I noticed the new paving that has been done so far (and I saw the lip you mentioned.) Anyway, just wanted to say, "It's looking great, and keep up the good work!" It's great being able to drive on Rice Road when it is smooth and you can actually see the white and yellow lines! :) (Now if we could just figure out a way to keep a$$holes from passing in the no-passing zones on that road....)
Happy boating
CS

bigboy78
03-31-2003, 03:15 AM
Good, glade you got home safely, with boat still attached. Well I'm off to finish the job, God it drives me crazy to be so close to Havasu and then have to turn right around. Oh well I'll be out there next weekend.

mbrown2
03-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Road looked great...now if you could figure out how to make it shorter, that would really be (.)(.)... :)

Ziggy
03-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the headsup Bigboy78. Just traveled the road this weekend and loved the new section on the way home. Doing a great job and love the smooth ride now.
Be glad your doing thework now and not in middle of summer like last couple years.
Felt so sorry for the lady holding the stop sign last year that I climbed out of truck to give here a few cold ice-teas. And was she ever grateful. Wish I had more to offer her.
RD, why such the hurry to get to Parker? 75mph with trailer ain't fast enough?

Wet Dream
03-31-2003, 10:14 PM
jm2drvr:
the last 3 times I've been on rice road, I'v gotten flats Those spike strips and flashing lights should have given you a clue. :D

Ziggy
04-01-2003, 11:01 AM
RiverDave:
Ziggy, I usually don't tow to and from the river.
The little incident I referred to was going about 75 MPH (no trailer) on the way home. This last trip I did happen to tow the Nordic back out to Parker, but I had no issues on the way. the only people I pass (usually) when I'm towing are guys with big boats and small trucks becuase there humpin along at a turtles pace.
RD,
RD No biggie, just razzin' ya a bit. Truth be told, if you ain't doing 70+ you get your ass run over or passed in stupid places anyhow. Saw the most CHP this past weekend that I ever have along the stretch in the late afternoon, 4 total, 2 writing tickets, one lurking, one arial.
I too only tow the boat once in each direction each year.
Keep it safe, shiney side up

bigboy78
04-02-2003, 09:58 PM
I'm back and it's done. 177 is done, we finished early so all you spring breakers go and be safe. One last thing before this thread is put to rest, in some places the shoulders are low, they haven't moved the sand around to bring it up to the asphalt, so be carefeul.

SCUBA STEVE
04-03-2003, 08:59 AM
bigboy78:
I'm back and it's done. 177 is done, we finished early so all you spring breakers go and be safe. One last thing before this thread is put to rest, in some places the shoulders are low, they haven't moved the sand around to bring it up to the asphalt, so be carefeul. Bb78, thanks for keeping us informed.
Have a great weekend.

uvindex
04-03-2003, 06:33 PM
I took Rice Road again today (Orange County to Havasu) and the road looks great. HEY, the dip in Desert Center has been leveled out!!! It used to be a good source of free entertainment watching people towing trailers overcook it at that spot -- they'd have that "deer in the headlights" look as they bounced through the dip.
Happy boating,
CS

TCHB
04-03-2003, 07:49 PM
I will be on Rice road Friday night and glad it is done. I can not handle going through Barstow because of the pass and traffic.

Thunderbutt
04-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Rice road in the 60's and 70's. There would be caravans of people pulling boats, as the sparks would fly from hitting bottom was like a light show at night. One time on the way back this guy is heading to Parker and his boat is on fire, so I'm flashing lights and waving. He throught out a cigar and it landed in his own boat. That is when I bought a boat cover you could tow with.

LaveyJet
04-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Thunderbutt:
Rice road in the 60's and 70's. There would be caravans of people pulling boats, as the sparks would fly from hitting bottom was like a light show at night. That take me back. The first job I had with the County in the late 70's was counting cars, you know, putting those hoses across the road attached to a counter. One of my stations was Rice Road just east of 62. I was amazed the peak traffic times, between midnight and 2 am on Friday night/Saturday morning.

bigboy78
04-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Really, I guess thats why we did all the work during the day instead of at night. That does make sense more traffic at night then during the day.

Sun burners
04-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Nice job on the new smooth road!

KrazyKa
04-06-2003, 10:06 PM
secondchance -
I wonder if the data would still be similiar today considering the ability of most cars on the road today don't have some of the cooling problems they did then.

beached 1
04-07-2003, 05:38 AM
secondchance:
Thunderbutt:
Rice road in the 60's and 70's. There would be caravans of people pulling boats, as the sparks would fly from hitting bottom was like a light show at night. That take me back. The first job I had with the County in the late 70's was counting cars, you know, putting those hoses across the road attached to a counter. One of my stations was Rice Road just east of 62. I was amazed the peak traffic times, between midnight and 2 am on Friday night/Saturday morning. mike, do you still have that video documentery of the 83 flood? I think it was made by your office. I'd love to make a copy.

Ziggy
04-07-2003, 03:25 PM
BIGBOY78
Took the road this weekend..GREAT JOB, no more shimmies and tar patches making weird tire noises. Glad the big dip is gone down in Desert Center but what will we do for laughs now??
Thanks for making the ride smooth and the visible lines....but did ya have to make the mile markers so accurate for the AirPatrol? :D :)

LaveyJet
04-07-2003, 05:14 PM
beached 1:
mike, do you still have that video documentery of the 83 flood? I think it was made by your office. I'd love to make a copy.
G Man, I still do, matter of fact, we watched it at work (Flood Control) a couple of weeks ago. 35,000 cfs out of Parker Dam. That'll clean out the weeds! That was the same event where water was flowing into Lake Powell faster than could be released. They had to install plywood flashboards on top of the spillway gates to control the flow.

beached 1
04-07-2003, 08:41 PM
secondchance:
beached 1:
mike, do you still have that video documentery of the 83 flood? I think it was made by your office. I'd love to make a copy.
G Man, I still do, matter of fact, we watched it at work (Flood Control) a couple of weeks ago. 35,000 cfs out of Parker Dam. That'll clean out the weeds! That was the same event where water was flowing into Lake Powell faster than could be released. They had to install plywood flashboards on top of the spillway gates to control the flow. That's the one. I'd love to borrow it and burn a copy if that's OK.