PDA

View Full Version : Major fire in Havasu

BoatPI
03-27-2003, 12:51 PM
I just got a call, Sofa City is leveled and the FD is trying to hold the fire at Casa Serrano. Heavy winds.
Anyone in town to post photos?

RiverTime69
03-27-2003, 02:10 PM
I just got a call too...
Sofa City is gone, just a wall now. The Sofa City truck is a pile.
There is smoke damage to Casa Serano on the outside and possibly inside on the adjoining wall.
There is a bunch of smoke damage to the movie theater on the outside, not sure if it's damaged on the outside.
At last word (3:00pm AZ Time), the fire was out and 1 truck was still there to take care of any flare-ups.

Boatcop
03-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Damn!
How'd the Iraqis get a Scud all the way to Arizona? And why just hit a furniture store?

BoatPI
03-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Tell me Alan.
Hey I will be up as of Friday for 4 days, so call if you would like to drive up and talk & check out the pad. KJ

SCUBA STEVE
03-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Boatcop:
Damn!
How'd the Iraqis get a Scud all the way to Arizona? And why just hit a furniture store? too funny!

roostwear
03-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Boatcop:
... And why just hit a furniture store? Because we HAVE furniture.

N:ck
03-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Now maybe they'll build something that belongs there (i.e. entertainment-related).
(BTW, I was just there. It's as bad as it sounds. The fire's pretty much out, but it looks like they've got some debris to move! I saw some trucks hauling bulldozers going down the highway, and I assume that was their destination.)
[ March 27, 2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: N:ck ]

Ziggy
03-27-2003, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N:ck:
[QB] Now maybe they'll build something that belongs there (i.e. entertainment-related).
Yeah, or maybe another restaraunt or better yet lets push for a new BREWERY! And I don't really drink, but they're great atmosphere! :D

03-27-2003, 06:45 PM
damn i was going there next weekend to buy
some beds for the new house maybe a
fire sale

Duck
03-27-2003, 09:33 PM
The Mohave Daily News.com online newspaper reports it may have started by a cigarette butt tossed outside in the tent sale area, then fanned by the gusting (40mph)winds. Wonder if the addict was a customer or employee. Sad loss, but everyone made it out thankfully. Duck

raff
03-28-2003, 08:58 AM
fire (http://www.mohavedailynews.com/display/inn_news/news3.txt)
Just though some would like to read this...
Mark out

OC-PARTYCAT
03-28-2003, 09:12 AM
that sucks.. Does anyone know the guy that owns that store?? I used to hang out with his son (Jeff) about 15 years ago..maybe hes running it now.

uvindex
03-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Does anyone know the guy that owns that store??I don't know any of the owners, but I have bought some furniture there over the years. The story is also in the Havasu online paper, and here's a quote from the owner:
"Sofa City owner Jackie Gilbert said she was preparing for a local magazine interview about the store’s anniversary when an employee screamed, “There’s a fire. Get out of the building.” “First and foremost, I am extremely happy that everyone is OK,” as Gilbert as she wiped away tears. “I am devastated. You’re talking about 24 years of my life.”
http://www.havasunews.com/havasunews/myarticles.asp?P=629503&S=463&PubID=10811&EC=0
Happy boating,
CS

OC-PARTYCAT
03-28-2003, 09:22 AM
thats him, Jeff Gilbert...that really sucks. Hopefully they had the proper insurance in place.

FIREMAN
03-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Damn those winds.. Nothin good comes from wind except skirts blowing up!

AZKC
03-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Hey it made the Tucson paper this morning, glad everyone was safe.
KC

uvindex
03-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Wow, I drove by there a little while ago (after hanging out on the channel today -- spring break is DEFINITELY still happening!) The place is leveled (and it was a very big building.) What really got me was all the vehicles that were burned too. Besides a semi-trailer, it looked like there were newish F250's, Suburbans, and several other vehicles behind the temporary fence, all burned out. A shame.
Happy boating,
CS

Essex502
04-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Ya' know...I enjoyed shopping at Sofa City especially since they were always ready with a sharp pencil to deal on the price. I will miss it. However, one thought comes to mind after reading the online report from the Havasu newspaper - How could a business owner who has been there for 20 some years, dealing with highly flammable products NOT have a sprinkler system? Now look...he's out of business - at least for some time - and all of his employees are out of jobs! Seems very shortsighted to me.

Rod-64
04-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Good Question..........probably the old addage "it won't happen to me!" There is surely a big cost factor to consider putting in a system in a bldg. that big. The bldg was old enough to be grandfathered in so they weren't forced to. It would be interesting to have seen the cost offset of a sprinkler system with a reduction in insurance premiums though. :confused:

Essex502
04-01-2003, 11:21 AM
You would think they would get a break in their insurance premium for the sprinklers. Hope they had adequate coverage.

Mandelon
04-01-2003, 11:26 AM
The new store will be Sofa King. The service will be Sofa King good. The prices will be Sofa King low. Sofa King get over there right away....
Did you get it??? wink

SMFRiverRat
04-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Was it not started outside, underneath a giant tent sale that suddenly turned into a conflagration ?

Essex502
04-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Report said that someone thought they saw another someone "flick" a cigarette butt on the ground that blew under some boxes. If that's true ....

Boatcop
04-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Well. At least you can say that they were true to their advertising.
Their new weekly ad says:
EVERYTHING MUST GO!
And it did. :D