PDA

View Full Version : Elsinore is open

Elsinore Cop
03-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Shortly after I posted the misinformation about the lake being closed, the city reversed it's decision and put up warning signs which discourage swimming, but left the lake open. Sorry for the bad info. They'll take new water samples today or tomorrow and the results will be given to us about 48 hours later.

78Eliminator
03-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Elsinore Cop:
Shortly after I posted the misinformation about the lake being closed, the city reversed it's decision and put up warning signs which discourage swimming, but left the lake open. Sorry for the bad info. They'll take new water samples today or tomorrow and the results will be given to us about 48 hours later. E-Cop,
What causes that lake to have so many contamination issues?

kevnmcd
03-24-2003, 10:09 AM
78Eliminator:
E-Cop,
What causes that lake to have so many contamination issues? I don't think you want to know. wink

HM
03-24-2003, 10:23 AM
78Eliminator:
Elsinore Cop:
Shortly after I posted the misinformation about the lake being closed, the city reversed it's decision and put up warning signs which discourage swimming, but left the lake open. Sorry for the bad info. They'll take new water samples today or tomorrow and the results will be given to us about 48 hours later. E-Cop,
What causes that lake to have so many contamination issues? Since when are there "So many" contamination problems?
In this case, it is very simple. The run off from the last rain was severe. Roads were closed, flood channels were near the top. Anything and everything that was washed down stream. The rain basically cleaned all the washes down to the lakes. Canyon Lake had the largest problem and contained most of the bacteria and other crap.
One of the flood channels is behind my house in Menifee. It is 200 yards wide and 10 feet deep - but usually bone dry. It was a foot from the top at its peak. This is only one of several washes that feed Canyon Lake, which feeds Elsinore. The other main wash comes through Perris and Hemet, and I think that is where most of the contamination came from. This one comes down through some farms and dairies. So, cow shit is probably a main contributor - but think of everything from the past 5 years being washed down stream......

Elsinore Cop
03-24-2003, 03:49 PM
HM got it..the dairy farms in the San Jacinto / Hemet area are upstream and are part of the natural San Jacinto Watershed. Lake Elsinore is basically the last stop for the water, unless it overflows..then it goes through Temescal Canyon and into the Santa Ana Watershed near Corona. Lake Elsinore doesn't get a drop of that water unless Canyon Lake overflows the top of the dam, which it has been doing with each of the last 3 major storms. I have not seen Lake Elsinore experience these high bacteria levels in my time here, although it may have happened some years back. I am more concerned with the algae, which shouldn't be so abundant at this time of year. frown

Cole
03-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Speaking of algae....it really is bad this year!!i have heard you say that algae is not an issue for mr and mrs boater..is this true????

Elsinore Cop
03-25-2003, 08:01 AM
Algae takes oxygen out of the water, which the fish need. When it gets really bad (level of disolved oxygen), there is a fish die off and they all float to the top. We had that happen last August. Algae is also messy to swim in and leaves a green scum line on your boat, but comes off easy. So, they are taking steps to get rid of the algae by installing aeriation equipment in the lake this year. I hope it works. Other than that, there is no health risk from algae that I know of.

Elsinore Cop
03-27-2003, 03:34 PM
New water quality report came in from Health Dept this week. Quality has improved.

24RODjr
03-27-2003, 08:17 PM
EC,
I hear alot of bad stuff about the quality of the H2O in Perris. Do you have any insight into that?

hall'en ass
04-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Perris is in the same ball-park. It also feeds Canyon Lake, which inturns feeds Elsinore. Perris has the worst problem of them all, Dirt Bags frequent the waters and use it to clean their childrens dirty butts in. I cant count the floating diapers. Its trully sick.