PDA

View Full Version : California boat drivin' age

comin' unscrewed
07-27-2002, 08:56 AM
As far as I know you had to be twelve to drive a boat in Calif. But, somebody just suggested that that has changed to sixteen. Can somebody clear this up for me?
Thanks,
Steve

Chestah Cheetah
07-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Pretty sure it is 16 with no supervision.

Beautiful Noise
07-27-2002, 11:14 AM
They changed it to 16 about 4 years ago also apply's to PWC.

Boatcop
07-27-2002, 01:58 PM
In California 16 is the limit to operate any watercraft with 15 or more horsepower alone. 12-15 can drive with an adult actually on board with them. Under 12 can't have the controls.
Arizona still says 12 and above can operate alone, but keep in mind that if you boat on the Colorado River, it is joint jurisdiction. Meaning that Arizona can only enforce Arizona Law, and California enforces California Law. It doesn't matter if Arizona says 12, 13, 14, or 15 is OK. California can still cite for it.

1stepcloser
07-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Boatcop:
If you boat on the Colorado River, it is joint jurisdiction. Meaning that Arizona can only enforce Arizona Law, and California enforces California Law. It doesn't matter if Arizona says 12, 13, 14, or 15 is OK. California can still cite for it.Now that is cool! Really sucks to be a kid at the river.
I never let my daughter drive the boat till she had her permit to drive a car. Thats just me though... :)

BlownCole
07-27-2002, 02:42 PM
I have been letting my kids drive since they were about 6 setting in my lap of course with a lot of help on the steering and me controlling the throttle, but I doubt that I will turn them loose in My Boat alone with there friends anytime before they are middle age :D , and hopefully by then they will have there own boat

teambnr
07-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Boatcop, Does the state in which the boat is registered have anything to do with age limits on the river? ie. Az 12 yrs Ca 16 yrs ? As of July 4th my youngest turned 16, so finally, we are legal. I know this question comes up alot with the families we boat with. Thanks for all your input.

Lake Lifeguard
07-27-2002, 05:45 PM
teambnr:
Boatcop, Does the state in which the boat is registered have anything to do with age limits on the river? ie. Az 12 yrs Ca 16 yrs ? As of July 4th my youngest turned 16, so finally, we are legal. I know this question comes up alot with the families we boat with. Thanks for all your input.I know this was addressed to BoatCop but I thought I would try to help out. On California waterways vessels must comply with California law regardless of where their certificate of number was issued. So a visiting vessel could be cited. The exception to that rule is registration. As long as the visiting vessel is properly numbered in its home state all things are good.
On the age issue. I have kids and I can tell ya, there is no chance I would ever trust one of my boys, ages 7 & 12, to drive ANY boat. Watching them walk by the tv, that slow turn of the head, eyes glassing over as their brains fall on the floor next to whatever they had in their hands a second ago. Collectively they have an attention span of about 2 seconds. I know this condition is not unique to my kids. Would any of you trust a 12 year old to have the focus to "maintain a proper lookout" and "take timely action to avoid collision"? Long before the age limit existed I had pulled a vessel stop on a PWC and while speaking to the operator my patrol boat was hit abeam by a 10 year old kid on a stand up Jet Ski. When asked why he chose to add a little Kawasaki Red paint to the side of my big yellow patrol boat he stated "I dunno". Its amazing they can remember to breathe sometimes.

Boatcop
07-27-2002, 06:09 PM
LL has the right answer. State of registration has nothing to do with it.
Examples:
1) Prior to Ca changing it's laws they said 6 and under had to wear a PFD on the boat. Az says 12 and under. We enfoced the 12 year old law on everyone.
2) Before last year the OUI "legal Limit" in Ca was .08%, Az was .10%. California cops wouldn't let those at .08/.09% off, just 'cause they were Arizonans.
When people bitch about not being able to let their 13 year old ride their PWC, I just ask them this:
"Would you put your 13 year old on a Kawasaki 1100 Ninja on the San Diego Freeway at rush hour?"
After they say "Of course not." I ask them:
Then why do you think it's OK to turn them loose on an 1100 CC Yamaha Waverunner on the Parker Strip on Memorial Day weekend?"
I've yet to have anyone come up with an answer to that, yet.

79Hawaiian
07-27-2002, 10:02 PM
Lake Lifeguard and BoatCop,
Great feedback and I agree with everything you say but... I grew up with a dad like BlownCole. I was the 7 year old kid in my dads lap driving the boat. He taught me to always be aware of my surroundings, watch out for other boaters, always pay attention, protect the boat and others property at all costs, and ***MOST IMPORTANT*** HAVE FUN!!!
He did not let me take the boat out myself until I was 14 but he knew that he could trust me because I had driven the boat enough with him and knew I knew the rules of the waterway.
What kills me is the inexperienced 20-something crowd that buy PWC or boats that haul ass and can't take the time or effort to either learn the rules or obey them. They are more dangerous than myself at 14 driving a boat without supervision. Too bad they don't have a breathalyzer that gauges IQ!
[ July 27, 2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: 79Hawaiian ]

RiverForUs
07-31-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey BoatCop, (or any other law enforcement officer)
Does it matter what side of the river/lake you're on? Since AZ & CA have different age limits can a 13 year old ride a PWC on the AZ side (assuming the state line is down the center) of a river/lake? Or, do the CA officials have jurisdiction all the way to the AZ shoreline? I hope this question make sense. Also, what is the age in Nevada as we are mostly on Lake Mohave?
Thanks for any answers!