PDA

View Full Version : havasu lake carnage

boatnam2
05-26-2003, 04:43 PM
watched a little news before leaving for work,they made it sound like there were quite a few people hurt and a few killed.anyone here this?

THATJEFFGUY
05-26-2003, 04:46 PM
I was at Park Moabi on Sun. and heard rfom a SBSO deputy that there were a couple pretty bad crashes...and that a guy lost his leg from a prop accident in the channel. Anyone hear more info ??

boatnam2
05-26-2003, 04:48 PM
hopefully i heard wrong and no one was killed.

unleashed
05-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Hey Boatnam, I was there since Thursday and didnt see anything bad happen at all. But I may have just been lucky not to witness anything to crazy. Hopefully it was a safe weekend for everyone. I will be posting photos shortly.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

boatnam2
05-26-2003, 05:00 PM
thats good news deano.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-26-2003, 05:20 PM
I just got back and heard that a guy got cut up realy bad from a prop. He pushed his girlfriend out of the way.. Some chick told me on sunday, no facts just hear say. Also a 6' male with a goat tee was found this am dead 100 yards south from kokamos in the channel floating. Heard that on the radio on the way home. It was a crazy weekend, my prayers go out to all.It is way too easy to get hurt out there.

Zuumer
05-26-2003, 05:25 PM
I was in the Channel Saturday afternoon when the guy got clipped by the boat prop. He was apparently swimming out in about 4 ft of water and a boat went by and got him in the thigh. Prop grabbed him,stuck in the quad muscle, and took him under. Somehow he got out. Paramedics/fire EMT's/Cops got him out of the water and on a gurney. Paper this morning said he probably will, or already has, lost his leg....pretty sad. Next incident was a jet skier colliding with a boat by Site Six. Air evac'c to Vegas but didn't make it. Supposedly we had 50,000 here so hopefully that's the extent of the carnage. Lot's of kids nailed for underage drinking of course. Channel was the typical zoo by afternoon.
Ron

B-rad502
05-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Ron, do you have a 26 AO??

TrojanDan
05-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Zuumer
Channel was the typical zoo by afternoon.
[/QB]More like 9:30am -10am! The channel was pretty much full by then. eek!

Zuumer
05-26-2003, 06:41 PM
B-rad502:
Ron, do you have a 26 AO?? Nope sure don't. I was on a buddy's 24'Eliminator Fun Deck on the west side of the Channel. Should be gettin' my new 22'Placecraft deck boat within a couple of weeks.
Ron

Jrocket
05-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Boatnam...I was there all day Saturday and saw some crazy shit but no carnage,luckily.

boatnam2
05-26-2003, 07:29 PM
sorry to hear about your prop and trailer.i would of let you go take mine off of my boat.

Jrocket
05-26-2003, 07:31 PM
boatnam2:
sorry to hear about your prop and trailer.i would of let you go take mine off of my boat. Thanks for the offer..My Friday started really bad,but my Sat,Sun. were awesome.Had some good races down there too...Wish you guys could of made it out..

boatnam2
05-26-2003, 07:39 PM
i wish we could of also.it sounds like the boat ran good.did you go by rd's?

Jrocket
05-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Yep,I went by a couple of times.The water was f'ing rough down there this weekend.Had some good races though.Won some,lost some... :D

SandbarScot
05-26-2003, 08:36 PM
I can confirm the guy that got chopped by the prop and I saw a photo of the dead guy that floated up early this morning. Police were still trying to i.d. him. The crash by site-6 doesn't surprise me. It was crowded there and really crazy. We stayed in the channel for hours enjoying the scenery. It's safer there, as long as you dont try to swim across between all the boats or breathe in too much Carbon Monoxide and drop into the drink.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Friend died in his tent in Moabi, Heart Attack, no previous heart troubles.
37 years old.

Rod-64
05-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Local news here
1. Man drowns after jumping off the cliff at Copper canyon....body found in 30 feet of water.
2. Jet Ski-er dies at site six after hitting a boat.
Source: KAAA radio news.

hot_diggity_dog
05-27-2003, 06:47 AM
I was in the Channel Saturday afternoon when the guy got clipped by the boat prop. He was apparently swimming out in about 4 ft of water and a boat went by and got him in the thigh. Prop grabbed him,stuck in the quad muscle, and took him under. Somehow he got out. Paramedics/fire EMT's/Cops got him out of the water and on a gurney. Paper this morning said he probably will, or already has, lost his leg....pretty sad. Next incident was a jet skier colliding with a boat by Site Six. Air evac'c to Vegas but didn't make it. Supposedly we had 50,000 here so hopefully that's the extent of the carnage. Lot's of kids nailed for underage drinking of course. Channel was the typical zoo by afternoon. Thanks Zummer Ron for the Local report as alway's. wink
Congrat's on the new ride up and coming. :D
HDD :cool:

riverliver
05-27-2003, 06:51 AM
http://www.havasunews.com/HAVASUNEWS/sites/havasunews/0397Edition/tnhbanner3.gif
Three people died on Lake Havasu over the weekend in what may be the deadliest Memorial Day holiday on the water. Two deaths have been confirmed as accidental, and the other is being investigated.
Authorities reported that recreational divers on Monday found the body of a middle-aged man suspended underwater in Bridgewater Channel; a 33-year-old man was killed Sunday while cliff jumping at Copper Canyon; and a watercraft accident claimed the life of another man Saturday night near a popular boat launch ramp.
Late Monday, Lake Havasu City Police investigators had not yet identified the body of a man found early that morning in Bridgewater Channel

Charley
05-27-2003, 07:20 AM
I got stopped and ticketed for only 6 life jackets with 9 on the boat.... all 4 of the kids had em on but he just wanted to write me... anyways the other cop on the boat was talking to my buddy and told him that a jetski and boat had collided up near laughlin and there was a fatality... get this... it was the guy in the boat..... I don't know if thats true but if anyone else knows??? :confused:

25Elmn8r
05-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Saturday afternoon at the Marina a PWC blew up. The guy was standing next to it trying to start it when it happened. The ski split at the seam and pieces went flying. One of the flying pieces nailed the guy in the forehead and split him open pretty good. I saw the ski afterwards and it was pretty tore up.
I also heard that Saturday night at Site 6 2 guys got into it and one of them ended up with a slit throat from a broken beer bottle. :mad: I don't know how true this is but it wouldn't suprise me.

Charley
05-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey DJ I saw your boat running up around Topock , I think on Saturday.... I waved but you just ignored me... eliminator guys! :rolleyes:
just kiddin :D wink :p
[ May 27, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Charley ]

25Elmn8r
05-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Charley, I saw you running by a couple times on Saturday too. We were hanging out aroud Park Moabi. Your boat was looking great!
My son and I ran up to Needles Saturday afternoon and saw your boat parked. We sat out front for a few checking it out again but I am pretty sure it was the DCB crew that was ignoring us!!! wink :D I couldn't have stopped anyway, as I needed to get back and pick up mama and head back to Havasu. One of these times I am gonna have to give you a run for your money! pig_flyi :D
By the way, my son loved the floating Island out in front of the house. I think he was checking that out more than the boats. I had to have a talk with him after that! wink :D
One of these times we will have to hook up so I can get a better look at that boat!

Charley
05-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Absolutely! ... now I'd like to say that the house I was parked at is mine but.... :( It's not... I only wish we had a sandy beach like that to rest our heads on wink ... maybe some day! ... hey those floating "pyramids" are at costco for $399 ... sounds a little steep but consider they are $799 in overtons and you could literally sleep 2 adults and 2 kids in one... the 10+kids in our group....ages 2-16 were having a blast with that thing the whole weekend long...alotta fun

25Elmn8r
05-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Oh ya, I also forgot to say I am gonna kick some ass if I find the little PUNK A$$ES that stole my speakers out of the boat. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I went out Monday morning to the boat that was parked right in front of my buddies house to find my speakers gone. But thankfully they left everything else, the skis, the tubes, the stereo face that was right in the glove box. They couldn't get the amps out without taking forever, beleive me they were a bi#$% to put in.
I guess the brighter side is I get to upgrade now. And they didn't thrash anything.

Havasu Cig
05-28-2003, 04:45 PM
This is why we rented our house out....I don't go near the water on Memorial. The people that rented the house had never been to Havasu before and told us they won't be going back. They were a little shocked.

Zuumer
05-28-2003, 06:13 PM
hot_diggity_dog:
I was in the Channel Saturday afternoon when the guy got clipped by the boat prop. He was apparently swimming out in about 4 ft of water and a boat went by and got him in the thigh. Prop grabbed him,stuck in the quad muscle, and took him under. Somehow he got out. Paramedics/fire EMT's/Cops got him out of the water and on a gurney. Paper this morning said he probably will, or already has, lost his leg....pretty sad. Next incident was a jet skier colliding with a boat by Site Six. Air evac'c to Vegas but didn't make it. Supposedly we had 50,000 here so hopefully that's the extent of the carnage. Lot's of kids nailed for underage drinking of course. Channel was the typical zoo by afternoon. Thanks Zummer Ron for the Local report as alway's. wink
Congrat's on the new ride up and coming. :D
HDD :cool: HDD...thanks much...good to meet you in the channel. New boat should be good to go in about 2 weeks. For sure by OP6C :) :)
Ron

Waldo
05-28-2003, 09:24 PM
Hey Charlie and DJ, I saw both your boats cruisin' around needles/topoc area. Very nice rides. Next time we'll try to meet up and have a cold one. We were up at a friends place in Willow Valley and cruised down river all three days. Here are the two boats we have in our group. Later - Brannon
Ours:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/177Summerlovin_-med.jpg
Our friends:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/177Cheetah_Family-med.jpg

BoatPI
05-29-2003, 06:32 AM
Got back last night.. Guy in channel was from Huntington Beach. May have died from C02. Rod has it right on the other two.
I was out on Tuesday for a nice ski ride. NO ONE at sandbar until 10 AM, at 1 PM I was skiing off of the Landing, only three boats on the lake, glass water. Might as well been a private lake.
You guys need to stay until Tuesday.
Oh, it was 117 in Parker on Wednesday, Havasu about 115.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-30-2003, 02:51 PM
All things considered,, not that bad really.
Also,, we were there the week after Easter and felt like we had the place to ourselves the whole week.
The week before Easter was the busy time we were told.

TheEduKATor
05-30-2003, 04:33 PM
The person in the channel who was hit by the prop is best friends with my buddy's brother. My buddy got the call on monday morning from his aunt right before we were heading home from havasu. We are still unsure about all the details, but we do know that his leg was amputated. Everyone and his family are just really down about the whole thing but extremely happy that he is alive. Sad thing is we were on the other side of the channel when this happened and we were looking at the ambulance pull up and wheel somebody off. We had no idea who it was and what had happened because we all didn't go to the lake together, he went with another set of friends. Just be safe out there guys.

boatnam2
05-30-2003, 05:28 PM
thursday afternoon they found the lost body on parker out in front of buckskin we were there getting gas and this guy was telling us he spotted the body.i guess he had been missing since memorial.