PDA

View Full Version : Lakes in Southern California other than

PussyPusher
08-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Other than Castiac and Pyramid what else is there? Something close to the SFV.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
08-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Not too sure what lakes there may be close to San Fernando Valley but I know a couple of other lakes in Southern California that are nice,
Silverwood lake (off the 15fwy going towards Vegas), Lake Elsinore, Lake Perris (Moreno Valley), Big Bear Lake & Lake Arrowhead (both in San Bernardino mtns and both really low in water this season). Also there is a small pond called Puddingstone which I think is in San Dimas.
I'm sure there's more but those are the ones I know about.

rivercrazy
08-09-2002, 12:21 PM
Piru. Small but pretty cool
Casitas. Very nice but no swimming or body contact allowed. Nice for powerboating though. Mostly a bass fishing lake.
[ August 09, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

75_Elim
08-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Just past Casitas is Lake Cachuma. From the SFV it's only 91 miles. They have a nice campground on the water, full hook-ups and a bunch of other crap. The lake is HUGE! Plenty of coves and great fishing while the motor cools down from the speed runs. The downside is no water contact here either.

PussyPusher
08-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Whats the name of the lake of the 15 at the top of the grade???

25Elmn8r
08-09-2002, 02:17 PM
PussyPusher:
Whats the name of the lake of the 15 at the top of the grade???It's not at the top but it is called Lake Silverwood. Small lake from what I remember. Only been there once.

Essex502
08-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Buena Vista - up the 5 towards Bakersfield - campgrounds also.

cigarette1
08-09-2002, 03:08 PM
There's a big one at the end of the 710 Fwy ... it's called the PACIFIC ;-)

jet4fun
08-09-2002, 03:15 PM
i also live in the sfv, and from what ive come to determine is that if you want to go locally (as in under an hour drive) you cant beat pyramid for a lot of reasons.
most of the lakes that are listed here are over an hours drive from sfv, and as far as im concerned, if youre gonna drive over an hour to get to a lake then you might as well go to havasu or the river areas because they kick ass above any water that youre gonna find in so cal.

NashvilleBound
08-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Wheres that Silverwood lake? Never heard of it. Is it crowded? I need to find some skiable water and not have to get there at 5AM! Does Pyramid always have the wind?
Thanks, NB
[ August 09, 2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

nextasex
08-09-2002, 04:01 PM
hey, ever thought of dropping it in the salt. Alamitos Bay at Long Beach is great for watersports and hangin out on the beach. The name of the actual body of water where people do this is called Marine Stadium. have fun!
frank :cool:

jet4fun
08-09-2002, 04:50 PM
NashvilleBound:
Does Pyramid always have the wind?
Thanks, NBactually that was the 1st time i have ever had such a horrible wind at that lake, most of the time there is just a light wind blowing all day, none of that blow me over shit... as far as gettin there at 5 a.m., yes, there is usually a wait on the weekends, but ive never heard of 4 hours like 79hawaiian had. ive actually showed up there at noon before(the worst possible time to show up)and only waited for 2 hours... on the weedays there is no wait whatsoever.
buena vista is pretty good for skiing from what i remember, has a good camp site too, but from where you are it is more worthwhile to just drive to havasu or the river, its almost an hour past pyramid, youre propably even closer to havasu.

Kurtis500
08-09-2002, 09:38 PM
whats the deal with the no contact lakes?

comin' unscrewed
08-10-2002, 06:50 AM
Kurtis500:
whats the deal with the no contact lakes?They're drinking water reservoirs. You can take your outboard on it and puke oil, but no swimming 'cause you might pee.

JetBoatRich
08-10-2002, 07:55 AM
comin' unscrewed:
Kurtis500:
whats the deal with the no contact lakes?They're drinking water reservoirs. You can take your outboard on it and puke oil, but no swimming 'cause you might pee.Isn't that amazing, the laws/rules they make. Something is wrong wwith this.

Chestah Cheetah
08-10-2002, 09:16 AM
JetBoatRich:
Something is wrong wwith this.I agree. I say we fight back by showing up and taking a group dump. Isn't this how
Lincoln Logs were first invented?

VanDeano
08-11-2002, 03:01 AM
I may be wrong, but isn't Castaic lake a drinking reservoir? And they allow water skiing. :D

jet4fun
08-11-2002, 11:34 AM
i personally am very confused about the whole no contact lake thing. ok, what happens if you accidentally fall off your boat? does ranger rick come along and write you a ticket? can you beach your boat along the shore and hangout as long as you dont play in the water?
kinda like goin to a restaurant and having a bunch of food displayed behind a glass case. you say to the waiter "can i have that steak and potatoes right there?" and he says "sorry dude this is a no contact restaurant you can look at the food all you want just dont touch. people come here for the atmosphere of hangin out at a restaurant without the food, oh by the way you do still have to pay for your food."

comin' unscrewed
08-11-2002, 04:04 PM
VanDeano:
I may be wrong, but isn't Castaic lake a drinking reservoir?Yes.
And they allow water skiing. :D [/b]
I believe they did in the '70's but not any more.
if you accidentally fall off your boat? does ranger rick come along and write you a ticket? Generally speaking, you betcha! Some Rangers will give you grief for getting your feet wet when you launch.
[ August 11, 2002, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: comin' unscrewed ]

JetBoatRich
08-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Can you camp at Silverwood? I sit worth the hour drive, any further the information you can give.

beached1
08-12-2002, 05:26 AM
75_Elim:
Just past Casitas is Lake Cachuma. From the SFV it's only 91 miles. They have a nice campground on the water, full hook-ups and a bunch of other crap. The lake is HUGE! Plenty of coves and great fishing while the motor cools down from the speed runs. The downside is no water contact here either.I think I flew over that place a few months ago in a Cessna with a buddy. It looked like a bitchen lake. It's up near Solvang right? No body contact? That would make it a bummer.