PDA

View Full Version : NorCal guys, Lake Berryessa 5/10

Robbie Racer
05-08-2003, 06:31 AM
The V-drive guys are having a get together at Putah Creek Resort at Lake Berryessa (near Napa) this Saturday. I'm planning on taking my Carrera up to do some testing also. Anybody else planning on going? If so, sign up here so we can plan to meet. R/R

Boatmaster
05-08-2003, 06:47 AM
RR I am going to try and make it with the Daytona. How was your Havasu trip, I never hooked up with you hope you had a good trip. I lost a fuel pump in my truck on the way down on tuesday night, that set me back six hours. Then got pulled over twice on the way down on Wed. Got on the lake late wed night. Port motor caught on fire thursday morning on my first run do to a stuck starter soleniod, but after replacing the starter and wiring harness the rest of the trip was great :D

Robbie Racer
05-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Hi Boatmaster, sorry I missed you at Havasu. I looked for you in the channel but didn't see you. It sounds like you had an "interesting" trip. I broke a prop shaft on the start of the first leg of the poker run so my day was over pretty much after it started. I spent the rest of the day finding a place to swap out the lower drive unit to my spare one. (Thank you to Steve at Savage Marine). I did get to make a run up the river to Needles on Sunday, so we still had a good time. I'm looking forward to meeting you finally at Berryessa this weekend. R/R

gnarley
05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
NOT going.
The weather has been shitty, the water temp will be cold & the boat is a week away from being put back together.
Berryessa in eary May is not a great place to plan on going to, it usually windy & cold. With the extended winter we've had it makes planning anything hard.
Why not have a get together as I've said several times before a little later in the season when the sun is sure to be out :cool: and the temps are warm?
Warmer temps bring out more than boats to, I always see more skin :D when its warm out & not windy.

Oldsquirt
05-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Charlie, its just one of those traditional things.
There is usually another similar event during the summer.
RR, I hope to make it up for a day-boatless :( Perhaps you need some extra ballast in your boat for a speed run or two :D
[ May 08, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

gnarley
05-08-2003, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT:
Charlie, its just one of those traditional things.
Yeah I know its tradition, and there's nothing wrong with that but some of the oldest & best traditions have changed in one way or another to become better. Just because its tradition doesn't mean its good.
I believe this tradition would be better if it was planned a few weeks later in the season. I'm not saying eliminate it; just move the date to a better warmer less windy time. Historically late spring in this part of Nor-Cal always gets wind & doesn't start really warming up till the end of May or the first of June.
Heck If I really wanted I could go out in 3-4 foot chop in 50-degree weather, but it wouldn’t be fun. I just think the tradition would see an increase of attendance if it were held later in the month or even a month later in June! There would be more boats of all types & more skin in the warm sun & the water might even be warm enough to get in.

Robbie Racer
05-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a plan Oldsquirt. Which day are you planning on coming up? I need to put 2-3 more hours on the new outdrive gears to break them in before I can make any WOT runs. It will probably be late Saturday afternoon or Sunday before I can fully open it up. You are on for some ballast, which ever day you are there. :D

Oldsquirt
05-08-2003, 02:17 PM
RR, looks like it will probably be Sunday for me. Still trying to get the boat back together so I'll be wrenching on Saturday.
Charlie, I fully understand. Been boating at Berryessa for 20+ years. I think one thing about the early date is that more people are able to make it. Come summer time and people are scattered everywhere. Pretty sure there is another big get together up there in August? There has been in past years.

gnarley
05-08-2003, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robbie Racer:
I need to put 2-3 more hours on the new outdrive gears to break them in before I can make any WOT runs.
RR Tell why this is so? If it were assembled correctly in the first place there would be no problems right? With all the gearboxes & third members I have built over the years NONE was ever waited on. Either its right or it's wrong! And once those gears mesh under load there is no way to tell how long it was run. If you don't have confidence out of the box you should get it from another supplier!

Robbie Racer
05-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Charlie, I wish I could tell you why but I don't know for sure. I was told by the Bravo Shop to break in the new lower unit gears for at least 5 hours. I have also been advised by a Mercruiser authorized mechanic friend of mine that Mercruiser advises a 10 hour break in period (I think he said 10 hours). Maybe somebody more knowledgable could jump in here and give some input as to why this type of break in is required.
Oldsquirt, I will keep an eye out for you on Sunday.
R/R

gnarley
05-08-2003, 04:00 PM
RR, They might be telling you how long but your not asking WHY??? If someone tells me something I damn well better be told why & I don't believe everything I have ever heard.
If they don't know why & can't give a suitable explanation it's BS. If it breaks at 2 hours it's guna break at 50 hours! wink So the sooner the better!

LakesOnly
05-08-2003, 08:56 PM
As it turns out, I am unable to make it this Saturday.... :(
I set last week aside to install the motor, and last weekend was to be for testing. I've hit some snags even before the installation.
At this point, I am shooting for Memorial Day w/e with the motor, and also the tunnel ram will be completed by then.
Have fun,
LO
[ May 08, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Cas
05-08-2003, 10:05 PM
RR,
Wish I could but I'm heading down to Fresno to get my interior...YEA! If my wife doesn't mind, I may take a ride up there on Sunday to visit anyone that may be there.
Gnarley,
Seems to me that if others want to keep the tradition, it's their thing. If you don't like it, don't go but why bad mouth it? I've been to Berryessa early in the season and it's been gorgeous, you just never know. Also went to CFW on New Year's Day, it was also a gorgeous day.
LO,
I know what you mean, I've run into a few little snags too trying to get my engine in. The thing that bugs me is those little snags always seem to take a couple of hours to iron out.

HCS
05-08-2003, 10:09 PM
AAAhhhh!... got to work.

Robbie Racer
05-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Cas, good luck on the Fresno trip with the interior. Hope to see you on Sunday if you can make it.
LO, I look forward to meeting you on another Norcal event. R/R

gnarley
05-09-2003, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cas:
Seems to me that if others want to keep the tradition, it's their thing. If you don't like it, don't go but why bad mouth it? I've been to Berryessa early in the season and it's been gorgeous, you just never know.
Cas, I don't know where you read that I was badmouthing the get together? argue I think its great. I also think the choice of weekends could be moved to a better weekend, JMHO.
If no one brings it up for discussion then it will never happen. They might get more boats & people to show & with more predictable & better weather. There is nothing wrong with bringing up a topic or suggesting change. You even said that you have been there early & its been gorgeous, you just never know. Great but you didn't say always gorgeous thats not the norm in early May. Heck I’ve been snow skiing in January, but it doesn’t mean I want to do it in shorts & a tee shirt if I have a clear sky. I am just saying that just because its tradition doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be improved on.
Change is good.
[ May 09, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

Cas
05-09-2003, 04:26 PM
gnarley
The weather has been shitty, the water temp will be cold & the boat is a week away from being put back together.
Berryessa in eary May is not a great place to plan on going to, it usually windy & cold.
Just because its tradition doesn't mean its good.
Heck If I really wanted I could go out in 3-4 foot chop in 50-degree weather, but it wouldn’t be fun. I just think the tradition would see an increase of attendance if it were held later in the month or even a month later in June! There would be more boats of all types & more skin in the warm sun & the water might even be warm enough to get in. [/QB]Maybe they don't want a ton of people. I always thought it was a "test and tune" day/weekend. A time for people to see if anything more is needed before the real summer fun begins. Heck, if I didn't tear out the interior awhile back, I would have been out a few times already this year.
To each his own.