PDA

View Full Version : OK Bolts fans looks like Brees is gone!

MagicMtnDan
03-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Signed a 6-year deal with the Saints today.
Congratulations - your team will be depending on a rookie QB this year. :220v:

GHT
03-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow... Wouldn't have been nicer if you would have poked a hot stick in the Bolt's fans eyes??? :)
GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!! And F.U. if you don't like them... :crossx: :D

BarryMac
03-14-2006, 01:43 PM
From first to worst in their Confrence, SD does it again... :220v: :220v:

XFactor
03-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Spanos is an IDIOT! How do you let a proven performer go only to rely on a prospect that hasn't proven anything other than he sucks at this point. I guess the Ryan Leaf deal didn't cut deep enough. I feel bad for Rivers. All the fans remember the Leaf deal and now that Brees has been successful, Rivers is going to have a TON of pressure to perform right out of the gate.
Great move Spanos. :mad: :mad: :mad:
p.s. They'll still be better than the Raiders :boxed: :yuk: :boxed:

Boat Loan Guy
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I am going to have thank hard about renewing my season tickets after this move.

rvrtoy
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Brees reaches agreement with Saints
By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer
March 14, 2006
AP - Mar 14, 3:07 pm EST
More Photos
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Free-agent quarterback Drew Brees agreed to a six-year contract Tuesday with New Orleans, providing the Saints with a proven replacement for Aaron Brooks.
A team spokesman confirmed the agreement to The Associated Press shortly after the Miami Dolphins, who also had been courting Brees, traded for Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper.
Brees is a bit of question mark after injuring his throwing shoulder with San Diego in the final game of the season. He underwent surgery and said last weekend he will take four or five months to be ready.
Brooks is expected to be released by New Orleans after his worst season since taking over as the Saints starter in 2000.
With Brees as their starting quarterback, the pressure is off the Saints to use the No. 2 choice in the draft on Southern California's Matt Leinart, who is expected to be available with Reggie Bush the likely No. 1 selection by Houston.
New Orleans, which has lost top center LeCharles Bentley and cornerback Fakhir Brown to free agency, could choose another player or dangle their pick as trade bait for teams who covet the opportunity to take Leinart, the 2004 Heisman winner.
ADVERTISEMENT
Cameras MP3 Players Shoes
Cell Phones Handbags Laptops
Saints officials did not immediately discuss details of Brees' new contract or how it may affect their draft plans.
Brees, who turned 27 in January, has spent his entire five-year career with the San Diego Chargers, throwing for more than 3,000 yards in three of the past four seasons. He led the Chargers to a playoff appearance in 2004.
The 32nd overall pick in the 2001 draft, Brees struggled in his first few seasons leading the Chargers to trade Eli Manning to the New York Giants for quarterback Philip Rivers on the day of the 2004 draft.
Rivers spent the past two seasons on the bench as Brees flourished.
Updated on Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 4:46 pm EST
I have been a Chargers fan for more than 20 years and now it looks like I need to find a new team!!! I have been VERY disapointed about many moves that the Chargers have made in the past. This just seals the deal!!! :mad:

Johnwithjm
03-14-2006, 02:11 PM
By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer
March 14, 2006
AP - Mar 14, 3:07 pm EST
More Photos
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Free-agent quarterback Drew Brees agreed to a six-year contract Tuesday with New Orleans, providing the Saints with a proven replacement for Aaron Brooks.
A team spokesman confirmed the agreement to The Associated Press shortly after the Miami Dolphins, who also had been courting Brees, traded for Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper.
Brees is a bit of question mark after injuring his throwing shoulder with San Diego in the final game of the season. He underwent surgery and said last weekend he will take four or five months to be ready.
Brooks is expected to be released by New Orleans after his worst season since taking over as the Saints starter in 2000.
With Brees as their starting quarterback, the pressure is off the Saints to use the No. 2 choice in the draft on Southern California's Matt Leinart, who is expected to be available with Reggie Bush the likely No. 1 selection by Houston.
New Orleans, which has lost top center LeCharles Bentley and cornerback Fakhir Brown to free agency, could choose another player or dangle their pick as trade bait for teams who covet the opportunity to take Leinart, the 2004 Heisman winner.
ADVERTISEMENT
Cameras MP3 Players Shoes
Cell Phones Handbags Laptops
Saints officials did not immediately discuss details of Brees' new contract or how it may affect their draft plans.
Brees, who turned 27 in January, has spent his entire five-year career with the San Diego Chargers, throwing for more than 3,000 yards in three of the past four seasons. He led the Chargers to a playoff appearance in 2004.
The 32nd overall pick in the 2001 draft, Brees struggled in his first few seasons leading the Chargers to trade Eli Manning to the New York Giants for quarterback Philip Rivers on the day of the 2004 draft.
Rivers spent the past two seasons on the bench as Brees flourished.
Updated on Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 4:46 pm EST
I have been a Chargers fan for more than 20 years and now it looks like I need to find a new team!!! I have been VERY disapointed about many moves that the Chargers have made in the past. This just seals the deal!!! :mad:Come on now Steve they have been a disapointment for years.

MKEELINE
03-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Hopefully they won't have to depend on Rivers, who isn't a rookie, to win all the games for them. They do have a few other weapons on offense. What the Chargers really need to do is strengthen their defensive backfield.

rvrtoy
03-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I hear there is room on the Steelers band wagon!!! :argue:
I am not a fair weather fan by any means...I even stayed loyal through the Leaf years!! :mad:
The Spanos family sucks!!!! :crossx:

BarryMac
03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
I am not a fair weather fan by any means...I even stayed loyal through the Leaf years!! :mad:
Hey Steve, it was nice meeting you last Friday...

MagicMtnDan
03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, you Bolts fans can jump on the Black-and-Gold bandwagon anytime. Might be a good year to do it since we'll be taking over your house again (2nd time in two years) when the Super Bowl XL CHAMPS visit San Diego again this year.
By the way, I've been a Steelers fan all my life - was born in Blitzburgh.

a catered life
03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
how the hell did my raiders let him get away :cry:did they even try to talk to him?

rvrtoy
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
how the hell did my raiders let him get away :cry:did they even try to talk to him?
Two words...Dis function!!! I mean Al Davis!!! :argue:

rvrtoy
03-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, you Bolts fans can jump on the Black-and-Gold bandwagon anytime. Might be a good year to do it since we'll be taking over your house again (2nd time in two years) when the Super Bowl XL CHAMPS visit San Diego again this year.
By the way, I've been a Steelers fan all my life - was born in Blitzburgh.
I will spray my dark blue 21 jersey black and I will fit right in!! :)

rvrtoy
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey Steve, it was nice meeting you last Friday...
It was nice meeting you as well. Its always good to put faces with the names. Oh and by the way, JW gave me the message. I will be contacting you very soon.

BarryMac
03-14-2006, 02:28 PM
It was nice meeting you as well. Its always good to put faces with the names. Oh and by the way, JW gave me the message. I will be contacting you very soon.
Just let me know when your ready, I'll hook you up...

a catered life
03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Two words...Dis function!!! I mean Al Davis!!! :argue:
you might have a point there

Havasu Cig
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Bree's will be exposed (he has in many games already) for the average QB that he is. That along with the shoulder injury is the reason he is gone. I recently watched the Colts and the first Denver game from last year and Bree's lost the Denver game for us and almost lost the Colts game. The third down pass to McCardell against the colts down field would have been a T.D. if he had better arm strength. Rivers will be fine once he gets some more experience. He made some throws in the Denver game after Bree's got hurt that Bree's never could make (20 yard out routes). Without Gates and L.T. he won't have the same success he had in S.D. IMO. Classy guy, but I am glad we are going with Rivers.

SB
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
The Dolphins took a look, now we have Culpepper.

Havasu Cig
03-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I have been a Dolphins fan since I was a kid, but the Bolts come first. :D :cool:

Havasu Cig
03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Here is a good read about Rivers, I don't think you can mention Leaf's name in the same sentence.
http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2575

ROZ
03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
I am going to have thank hard about renewing my season tickets after this move.
We gave that shit up 2 seasons ago... We had 8 tickets since 1969... My brother and I went to the superbowl when they made the miami game..
F'k Spanos... The year I gave up my tickets was based on the fact that Spaonos wants the team in Los Angeles. The peeps on the inside we knew at the time say it's going to happen sooner or later...fo sho...

topless
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I first read this thread title, I thought it was " All Bolt On Fans, Bre is Gone!!!! I Thought she might have had a reduction or something........... Don't Keep Posting Thread Titles that represent or are close to members names. Bre would never reduce her boobs...........I saw pictures. She is very proud of them.

XFactor
03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
You obviously don't follow football if you think Rivers is another Ryan Leaf. Leaf had all the physical talent in the world, but he was a disaster in his head. That's not Rivers.
OK SWB, or should I call you John Madden or Howard Cossell, what has Rivers done at this point? I didn't say he was a Ryan Leaf. What I stated was there's going to be ALOT of pressure on Rivers. SD fans, like myself, haven't forgotten about the Leaf deal and what it's like to put your hopes on an unproven QB.
I've always been under the impression that a pro bowl QB like Brees has proven something other than he's too short to play in the NFL. But what do I know, you're obviously the football expert.

duffster
03-15-2006, 06:32 AM
It almost Padre time think positive.

MagicMtnDan
03-15-2006, 07:02 AM
I look for big things this year, and if not this year, next year.
So, even you are not expecting that much from the Chargers this year. Sounds like you think letting Brees go away is going to hurt the Bolts.

XFactor
03-15-2006, 08:09 AM
If you're comparing Rivers to Leaf as a human being, nothing.
As for what you can call me, you can call me whatever you'd like, I could care less what you think about my football knowledge. I had SD season tickets while you were still sucking on your momma's tit, so don't think you have some inside line to being a Charger fan.
I see you're an expert on age evaluation as well. Try again, I doubt you even have a clue as to my age.
By the way, I made NO compairison to Leaf. I simply stated the wounds we're still fresh for most Charger fans in regards to the Leaf incident. That alone puts ALOT of pressure on Rivers.

XFactor
03-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh, and god forbid if somebody every express a dissenting opinion around here. Let me clue you in on something, just because you get home from work before me and post first doesn't make you right. :rolleyes:
Oh, and I called Brees to New Orleans two days ago.
By the way, I hadn't even left work yet. I was studing football on the internet in an attempt to gain the superior knowledge that apperently only you have. ;)

Havasu Cig
03-15-2006, 09:33 AM
We will see what New Orleans does this season with Bree's (if he is ready to play) and what the Chargers do with Rivers. My $$$ is on the Chargers. Bree's took the Chargers to the playoffs one year and IMO made the pro bowl that year because he was the feel good story of the year with his turn around from the year before. I honestly do not think he is a pro bowl QB. I would have a hard time even rating him in the top ten. Like I said before, he was a great team guy but the chargers made the right move in letting him go. His arm strength is weak ( and might be worse now), he is very short for a pro QB, he is not very mobile, he does not read blitzes coming from his back side very well, and he fumbles as a result of this. He is a system QB that will not do well without good talent around him. I think you will see a decline in his performance with the lack of talent N.O. will have around him.

Essex29
03-15-2006, 09:44 AM
forget about all this Charger talk, how about the Cowboys get TO?
Let the flaming begin :)

Tremor Therapy
03-15-2006, 09:45 AM
He is a system QB that will not do well without good talent around him.
Exactly, and I am a Brees fan. Classy, good clubhouse guy, and works his ass off. But lets look at reality.....how many times did you need to see a 20 yard out pattern returned the other way for a touchdown, or a receiver 35 yards down the field have to stop waiting for a rainbow pass to drop over the defenders, just to watch it get intercepted or batted away? His arm strength was marginal at best.
What Rivers brings to the table is arm strength and accuracy we haven't seen since Stan Humphries. I seem to remember a lot of Charger fans being quite happy with the drafting of Rivers after the debacle of a season Brees had....if I remember he was benched over his lackluster play that year. Get real everyone.....if Rivers had not held out his rookie season, Brees would have never gotten to play another down anyway. I am not myopic, I think he will struggle. But if we can get another O lineman, and at least 1 cover corner, we should do some real damage in the AFC this year.

Havasu Cig
03-15-2006, 09:53 AM
forget about all this Charger talk, how about the Cowboys get TO?
Let the flaming begin :)
I would not want him on my team. Talented guy, but he is a headcase that will cause problems with time. He will be on good behavior at first but I give him about 1/2 a season before he starts his usual crap.

Essex29
03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I would not want him on my team. Talented guy, but he is a headcase that will cause problems with time. He will be on good behavior at first but I give him about 1/2 a season before he starts his usual crap.
I was just kidding...more problems than he is worth

godfather
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM
thank god we finally have a decent QB by by aaron brooks. AKA Jay Jay dynomight :crossx: :crossx: :220v:

Stoneman
03-15-2006, 11:04 AM
As a KC fan, I think it was a very good move to let Brees go.

crf311
03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
The Saints did WHAT. 1st Katrina, Now this. Just when you though it was bad it gets worse.

Ziggy
03-16-2006, 05:20 PM
We will see what New Orleans does this season with Bree's (if he is ready to play) and what the Chargers do with Rivers. My $$$ is on the Chargers. Bree's took the Chargers to the playoffs one year and IMO made the pro bowl that year because he was the feel good story of the year with his turn around from the year before. I honestly do not think he is a pro bowl QB. I would have a hard time even rating him in the top ten. Like I said before, he was a great team guy but the chargers made the right move in letting him go. His arm strength is weak ( and might be worse now), he is very short for a pro QB, he is not very mobile, he does not read blitzes coming from his back side very well, and he fumbles as a result of this. He is a system QB that will not do well without good talent around him. I think you will see a decline in his performance with the lack of talent N.O. will have around him.
I agree 100%........Brees' best attribute was his brain on the field, not his arm or physical prowess. 2004 was a dream season for him(thank you LT,Gates,McCardell) and for that reason alone it made him rich this off-season. I don't see him doing as well in N.O. without major support from his troups....at least he's got a steady Carney if he can get his team inside the 25.
Rivers is the physical specimen made to be a QB, lets see if he absorbed some defensive alignments during his 2 year watch/learn program. No doubt he'll have a learning curve on the field but he sure does look like he could be great and not just good like Brees.
I really like Brees, but he was not the one to take the team all the way.

Ziggy
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah, Pittsburg is now dead w/o Bettis........no martar to really have to win anything for now...they've had it all and are satisfied. Belly's are full.
And thank Rothlisberger's fingertip tackle for getting to the Superbowl since Bettis tried to fumble it away........

Havasu Cig
03-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Here is some interesting stuff about Bree's from ESPN. I think the Chargers did the right thing.
Around the league:
Enough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.
So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.
"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

Ziggy
03-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Very interesting indeed.... :idea:
AJ is smarter than most give him credit for. There's always more to every story behind the closed doors.
Here is some interesting stuff about Bree's from ESPN. I think the Chargers did the right thing.
Around the league:
Enough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.
So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.
"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

Ziggy
03-22-2006, 08:20 PM
AJ Smith not an idiot? Who would've thunk it? ;)
The nay sayers, who else? He holds his cards close to his vest and that makes people dislike him.

MagicMtnDan
03-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Oh yeah, Pittsburg is now dead w/o Bettis........no martar to really have to win anything for now...they've had it all and are satisfied. Belly's are full.
And thank Rothlisberger's fingertip tackle for getting to the Superbowl since Bettis tried to fumble it away........
That's some funny sheot right there Ziggy.
Bettis was great - a hall of famer for sure BUT he wasn't a full-time player at all. They have Duce Staley waiting in the wings to fill in the Bettis role. Duce is faster and IF he can stay somewhat healthy the Steelers have the back they need to spell Willie Parker. They still have Verron Haynes for 3rd downs.
As for Big Ben you ain't seen nothin' yet. The guy has played spectacularly the first two seasons of his NFL career. But he had a bad game in the Super Bowl. The kid will be out to prove that he can do it again and win the big one (he felt that he let the team down in the SB). Don't bet against the Steelers - they'll be there in the playoffs. :cool:

Ziggy
03-22-2006, 11:22 PM
That's some funny sheot right there Ziggy.
Bettis was great - a hall of famer for sure BUT he wasn't a full-time player at all. They have Duce Staley waiting in the wings to fill in the Bettis role. Duce is faster and IF he can stay somewhat healthy the Steelers have the back they need to spell Willie Parker. They still have Verron Haynes for 3rd downs.
As for Big Ben you ain't seen nothin' yet. The guy has played spectacularly the first two seasons of his NFL career. But he had a bad game in the Super Bowl. The kid will be out to prove that he can do it again and win the big one (he felt that he let the team down in the SB). Don't bet against the Steelers - they'll be there in the playoffs. :cool:
Yup....I don't doubt it a bit, they'll be there. This past year was a good example of perfect timing.....they started slow but came on strong in the last 1/2 of season. They were getting very healthy when several other teams were having growing IR lists.....timing. We all know for a fact that an injury to a key player can change the teams performance drastically.
Be interesting to see how the draft shakes out.

Silver
03-23-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm such a girl! I thought this thread was about BRE! :rolleyes:
Oh, my.........