PDA

View Full Version : dumbest salesperson at La boat show!

TOBTEK
02-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Did anyone else encounter a lame salesperson? heres my story.
The first thing I did when we walked in the door and saw the merc display was talk to one of the guys about the "NEW" 5 blade MAXIMUS prop that I have been hearing about, and cant wait to try. OK, going back many,many years here guys/gals. Some will call me a lice lover. Im gona let you all know a very deep rooted seceret about me....tobtek way back when I worked many trade shows for SEA-DOO/BOMBARDIER.....I KNOW, I KNOW a jetski company I'm not a real smart fella, or fart smeller.....I forget sometimes. But I would never do what this lamer did in the Merc booth. So I ask these two gals first of all about the prop in question, they refer me to this other merc rep, and he shows it to me in the display case. I tell him blagh,blagh have been hearing this prop is the best thing since sliced bread, blagh,blagh,blagh. He asks me the set-up I have. I respond blagh,blagh DCB. blagh,blagh 2003 300x. OK, this is the part where "Mr MERC EMPLOYEE" became dumber than my left nipple. If I didnt know the answer to a person/owner of my companies latest product, I sure would get someone that did before I answerd..."300x, thats a outboard motor....right????????" after I kinda looked at him funny then he stated "all I know is that is a big black motor that hangs on the back" So, I glance over to the misses, and I can see she is thinking the exact same thing as myself......what a complete dumpass!
WHY DO MANUFACTURES PUT PEOPLE IN THEIR PRODUCT DISPLAYS THAT KNOW -0- ABOUT WHAT THET ARE THERE TO PROMOTE? KINDA A WASTE OF THE COMPANIES MONEY IF YOU ASK ME! I only wish I worked for Merc corporate and this jackass spouted off like this.

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:39 AM
TOBTEK:
OK, this is the part where "Mr MERC EMPLOYEE" became dumber than my left nipple. That's a great description, but would you say your left nipple is smarter than the right one? I'm just trying to put this all into perspective... :D

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
I would say that he comes in second to the jackass in the Reinell booth who claimed that an outfit called CalCustoms owned and builds Reinell's new custom-like boat (Reinell with different gelcoat), also owns and builds Magic, Sleekcraft and Nordic. I asked politely where they build these boats and he mentioned northern California. About to throw the bullshit flag, I let him continue. "The reason these boats look just like the Nordic, is that the owners wanted to be able to supply a lower priced alternative that had the same look, bottom and performance of the more expensive boats, but had less frills and high dollar parts that will fail soon anyway."
He goes on to explain that all of these boats have the Magic V-bottom (which I thought they didn't even make until I saw one at the show) which they were nothing like.
Magic and Nordic denied it vehemently by the way.

mbrown2
02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
TOBTEK:
"all I know is that is a big black motor that hangs on the back"What is wrong with that description? I thought that was pretty educated... :)

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:45 AM
There has been many references in other threads to the C---a (don't want to be party to a lawsuit :D ) salesguy that spent the whole show on his cell phone rather than talking to customers. He should be on the list.

TOBTEK
02-24-2003, 09:53 AM
C---A did have the best/nasty gal's in there booth I saw, tight shirts,jeans, with big big thingies..... I like the part where they were SELLING there promonial products :rolleyes: that would make me want to buy one of their boats......yeah. shame I did think they looked good.

Keith E. Sayre
02-24-2003, 06:52 PM
A bit of clarification for dumb***#2 who told the
stories about Kal Kustoms and Reinell. Now I'm not a legal expert on exact ownership but this is
how it has been explained to me. Karl Kostner
(probably the smartest guy in the business) owns
Kal Kustoms who owns at least the greatest share
of Reinell. He may own all of it, I don't know.
He buys and distributes many brands of boats with
his extensive and very successful dealerships all
over the country. One of them being Nordic. I
believe that he buys the bulk of Nordics production and then distributes them to the dealers that sell them. In the past (when Ken Brown still owned Magic) I believe he had a hand
in the distribution of some Magics also. It sounds like the salesman merely got the story wrong or something. Still sounds like he deserved
the award! TOBTEK and Froggystyle--very classy
of you both not to humiliate those guys by putting
their names on here. Hats off to both of you.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 07:35 PM
mbrown2:
TOBTEK:
"all I know is that is a big black motor that hangs on the back"What is wrong with that description? I thought that was pretty educated... :) DAH
http://www.bodo.com/simpsons/3dhmrani.gif

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Keith E. Sayre:
A bit of clarification for dumb***#2 who told the
stories about Kal Kustoms and Reinell. Now I'm not a legal expert on exact ownership but this is
how it has been explained to me. Karl Kostner
(probably the smartest guy in the business) owns
Kal Kustoms who owns at least the greatest share
of Reinell. He may own all of it, I don't know.
He buys and distributes many brands of boats with
his extensive and very successful dealerships all
over the country. One of them being Nordic. I
believe that he buys the bulk of Nordics production and then distributes them to the dealers that sell them. In the past (when Ken Brown still owned Magic) I believe he had a hand
in the distribution of some Magics also. It sounds like the salesman merely got the story wrong or something. Still sounds like he deserved
the award! TOBTEK and Froggystyle--very classy
of you both not to humiliate those guys by putting
their names on here. Hats off to both of you.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats Well done Keith. I should have looked you up over at Group 1 this last week. I should have figured you would be there.
In any case, you screw up the story that bad... you get the award!
Your booth looked great. Nice boats for sure.

LUVNLIFE
02-24-2003, 07:51 PM
The way I look at is when you are going to plunk down the hard earned cash for a new ride, the salesman better know the answer to every question you have and hang up the cellphone.

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 07:56 PM
LUVNLIFE:
The way I look at is when you are going to plunk down the hard earned cash for a new ride, the salesman better know the answer to every question you have and hang up the cellphone. Or, be able to find them out. Cellphone has no place with a salesman at the show. That is what a show manager is supposed to be doing. Approachable, knowledgeable and interested should be three traits of a boat show salesman in my opinion.

Skaterfast
02-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Toby,that's too funny.I got the same thing at the Merc booth.Any way if you want to talk to the man about props here is his name and #.Dennis Cavanaugh 920 924-2088.

Irishluck
02-24-2003, 10:17 PM
I didn't come across any dumb salesmen but I did have one talk smack about another one that worked for a different manufacturer. I thought it was a cheap shot and very unprofessinal about what he said. I know the salesmen that this particular man was talking about. O well I guess I won't buy a Commander in the future. If your pissed off talk to him like a man.

bordsmnj
02-24-2003, 10:18 PM
o,k, heres one for yuh.. how many foot lbs of torque does the Merc. mx 6.2 have??? I asked a guy and thought maybe he was guessing( i doubt it)
but it's not in the brochure. 400 something?? I don't want to bag on anyone here i just want to hear wisdom only. thanks :cool:

bordsmnj
02-24-2003, 10:26 PM
yuh know i went to that cobra booth and i saw a bitchen boat with a motor that didn't fit and the sales guy cam right over and told me not to worry about the 34000 dollar engine -i could have a nice (whole boat) for 28k. honest,thought about the guy not looking at 26'; enough to drag that boat al the way to the show and was right there when i showed some interest.Yuh know with one guy at the booth maybe he was taking care of as much business(yakin' on the phone?) as he could?? I don't give a Sh!% about cobra but just another view. that and i ran outa popcorn. cry

Irishluck
02-24-2003, 10:32 PM
The guy i talked to at cobra about that jet boat on display said in stock condition it would run 65 with a 300 horse 454. It looked really dumb with that motor in it, and what was up with those chicks. Kind of ghetto.

Lightning
02-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Does anyone have a photo of the Cobra chicks, I can use a good laugh

bordsmnj
02-25-2003, 02:04 PM
i didn't see any cobra chicks :confused:

Kilrtoy
02-25-2003, 06:10 PM
("The guy I talked to at cobra about that jet boat on display said in stock condition it would run 65 with a 300 horse 454")
What planet is that on, You are joking, right. eek!

TOBTEK
02-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Kilrtoy:
("The guy I talked to at cobra about that jet boat on display said in stock condition it would run 65 with a 300 horse 454")
What planet is that on, You are joking, right. eek! Im not bashing car motors here, I,ve only owned outboard's.....but a 300HP V8 wont push that boat 65MPH...really?

sandblasted
02-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Forget the salesmen...I want to know why the Car show always has a bunch of hot looking women showing off the cars but the boat show doesn't...
Imagine how much better some of those boats would look with a babe in a thong standing there modeling them!..
Hell, I could care less if they could even answer my questions! :D :D

JetBoatRich
02-25-2003, 08:12 PM
I was looking all around the show for the girls from the boat pictures? I guess you have to bring your own?

sandblasted
02-25-2003, 08:26 PM
JetBoatRich:
I was looking all around the show for the girls from the boat pictures? I guess you have to bring your own? the only ones I found were on the free poster from HTM...Must be why i grabbed 2 of them! :D :D

JetBoatRich
02-25-2003, 08:29 PM
I grabbed one to and gave it to little Rich :D

sandblasted
02-25-2003, 08:33 PM
JetBoatRich:
I grabbed one to and gave it to little Rich :D You gave it to the kid? Not me man, It's going in my garage...it's all mine I tell you....

JetBoatRich
02-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Greg I share, he will put it in the Garage. wink

Spirit of Discovery
02-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Not defending Mercury, here, but I can shed a little light on what might have happened. If you have had any dealings with Mercury Marine directly, you will discover that it is a VERY fractionated company. The outboard guys don't know anything about the outdrives and the prop guys don't know anything about either one of those type of noise making things they call engines. Now they have the smartwhatchamacallit division who knows nothing about anyone elses product within the company. What that guy should have done is turned you over immediately to the prop guy or the outboard guy. All the divisions were represented there. I experienced a similar thing in the Mercury booth too. I had a prop guy try to answer a Mercury Racing question. I had to tell him that he missed the mark with my question and asked him to refer me to the Mercury Racing guy there. They really need to look at that process. If the company is going to be so fractionated, they need to approach shows like that with a teamwork strategy and not take the risk of embarrassing the whole company.

Irishluck
02-26-2003, 12:58 PM
That's what the Cobra salesmen told me, that dumb liitle jet boat would do 65 with a 300 horse 454. Maybe he thought I was on crack like those crack whores that were on display. I don't know, whatever, their is always some sort of bullshit from a manufacturer. Maybe he meant their 18 footer. I better watch what I say I might get sued.

shockwavebd
02-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Irishluck:
That's what the Cobra salesmen told me, that dumb liitle jet boat would do 65 with a 300 horse 454. Maybe he thought I was on crack like those crack whores that were on display. I don't know, whatever, their is always some sort of bullshit from a manufacturer. Maybe he meant their 18 footer. I better watch what I say I might get sued. Thats some funny shit there LMFAO :D