PDA

View Full Version : Lakes in the Pheonix area???

kevnmcd
09-10-2002, 01:41 PM
I am going to be in Pheonix (Glendale area) in mid October and was wondering if there was any good lakes to go to for a day? How far away? What is the water level like? Any good for wakeboarding? Thanks for the input.

Slick
09-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Nothing worth dragging your boat from SoCal.

FreddieB81
09-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Lake Pleasant-Close to Peoria and the north-northwest valley. Pleasant is the biggest of them all. Decent lake, has four launch ramps and a nice marina. You won't be able to beach anywhere.
http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant/
Canyon Lake-East of Mesa. Haven't been there in years, so I couldn't tell you much about it.
http://www.gf.state.az.us/frames/whatsnew/canyonlk.htm
Bartlett Lake- I hear it's really low. The water recreation is pretty good.
http://www.bartlettlake.com/
I usually go to Pleasant, so I can't tell you much about the others. Hopefully the other Arizonans will chime in.
What size boat do you have?

FreddieB81
09-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Slick is right!

Jordy
09-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Depending on what you are used to lake wise, it may or may not be worth dragging the boat out. Pleasant is by far the closest to where you will be in the NW valley. The water level is decent, launching is easy as the ramps still hit water. It is however, a big boat lake that has the potential to turn into an ocean with little warning. Not a good lake for low freeboard boats.
Bartlett is very low right now. The boat ramps are out of the water and 4 wheel drive is a nice thing, while not totally necessary, to get in and out of the lake. The nice thing is, with the water down some 50+ feet, there are a lot of nice beaches and coves to hang out on.
Saguaro is another lake in east of town. It is running about 97% capacity right now. It's a good lake to go party on as there is a beach up top and it never really gets that rough.
Hope that helped somewhat.
Jordy :D
[ September 10, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

Jordy
09-10-2002, 02:30 PM
FreddieB81:
Slick is right!Slick is just bitter because his boat is high and dry right now... LOL. Just kidding bud. When are we sticking that motor in?

GofastRacer
09-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Slick:
Nothing worth dragging your boat from SoCal.You got that right!!!...... frown

future boater
09-11-2002, 03:42 PM
i am truly surprised no one has offered to take him out when he is in town. i would but my name still holds true. get back in touch w/me later maybe we can ALL go get a drink?!?
[ September 11, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: future boater ]

kevnmcd
09-12-2002, 09:33 AM
future boater:
i am truly surprised no one has offered to take him out when he is in town. i would but my name still holds true. get back in touch w/me later maybe we can ALL go get a drink?!?Yea! :D

BigDogIvan
09-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Canyon in east valley is a nice lake that usualy runs 97-98%. But right now it is green with algae as it is normaly this late in the season.
BD

Slick
09-12-2002, 10:18 AM
I'd be glad to take him out as long as he doesn't mind sitting in a bare hull while being pulled behind a suburban. That's the only way he's going to feel the wind through his hair in my boat at this time.

Jordy
09-12-2002, 10:26 AM
I'll provide the spray bottles for that tour Slick. That way it would be just like on the water.