PDA

View Full Version : What Boating is About

Lakeshow
06-10-2003, 09:30 AM
I have a great story from last weekend (6/7,8). I was not there but this is how it was relayed to me.
A buddy of mine (Howard 26 Cat) broke down next to Site Six on Saturday. BMax Drive broke - believe it or not.
As he and his family did the cork thing a guy that they had met in the channel came along side. Now, before Saturday they had never met this guy before.
The guy asks "is there anything that I can say to help?" and then proceeds to tow him to Site Six. It doesn't end there. The guy tosses him the keys to his brand new truck, knowing that my buddy is from Havasu Springs, and says to take it and go get his rig @ the Springs and to leave the keys on the floorboard of the truck when he is finished. Further, the guy tells the rest of the people on my buddies boat to go over to his trailer at the Islander and help themselves to a beer while my buddy is retrieving his rig.
The guy heads back out on the lake without blinking an eye.
My buddy heads to the Springs gets his rig while his wife drives the other guys truck back and so goes another broken boat on the lake story.
I don't know they guys name however, in the channel he was on a Ski Centurion. However, when he came up to them off of Site Six he was in an Eliminator with twin Teague 540's.
If anybody knows this guy - there are a bunch of us at the Springs that would love to buy him a cold one and let him know how much that was appreciated.
Sorry for the long post but thought everyone should know that we are surrounded by some pretty decent people on the lake.

LAVEYSABRE575
06-10-2003, 09:35 AM
great story lakeshow do u have place at the springs...derek

Lakeshow
06-10-2003, 09:45 AM
LAVEYSABRE575- Yes, we are. I believe that we have mutual friends and I have met you once or twice. I have the DCB 28 (Blue Flames).

Mr.Havasu
06-10-2003, 10:20 AM
great story!
That used to happen alot, but you don't see it so much anymore.
All I've seen at site six lately are the sorry ass f*@k's that sit around laughing at you at the launch ramp.

Eric455
06-10-2003, 10:24 AM
warlock25:
great story!
That used to happen alot, but you don't see it so much anymore.
All I've seen at site six lately are the sorry ass f*@k's that sit around laughing at you at the launch ramp. I COULDNT OF SAID IT ANY BETTER.
ERIC

HavasuDreamin'
06-10-2003, 10:25 AM
My dad and I were just talking about the good ol' days (70's - 80's) and how those days are GONE. It is nice to know that there are a few old school boaters out there.

Doug H.
06-10-2003, 10:35 AM
by the way that was a great story and hope it re-news faith in most of us :) but site six is the best comedy hour iv'e seen in years, iv'e even launched thier myself but did not get laughed at (thank god) that is a tough crowd there ready to jump all over ya.. "THE COMMANDER"...doug

Up 4 River
06-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Lakeshow,
That is a great story. :D I have a similar story from last Friday at Havasu. I had brought 4 buddies of mine to the river for the first time and we were launching my boat at windsor aroung 11 am Friday morning. I was having problems with my trim not going down on the Bravo outdrive and was feeling pretty bad about it. A guy named Kenny was backing down his 28 Eliminator with an older single cab chevy and I asked him if he had any ideas about what to do. He called his mechanic back in LA on his cell phone and asked him if he had any ideas. I wound up going into town and was able to fix the problem at Barnicle Bills boat shop about an hour later.
Kenny offered to take my buddies out on the boat while I got the outdrive fixed and he had never even met any of us. When we got into the channel later that day we flaged him down, and then wound up hanging out with he and his girl all day. We cruised up to the Sandbar, hit up Copper and just hung out while my buddies drank some beers. These are all college buddies of mine from Washington, New Jersey,Colorado, and No. California. Needless to say they were just blown away at the way someone youe don't know would treat you out there, and I told them of the good old days when I was growing up and that's just the way it was.
When I see Kenny out there again I have some cold ones waiting for him. :D

91nordic29
06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
we just towed someone in last week. 3 younger (25) guys in what looked like an old bass/ski boat. they had been rowing for 15 minutes, boats all around, when we got there. it would have taken them all day to get from the dam to the 10 lane ramp (lake pleasant). we couldnt believe no one stopped to help b4 us.
our good deed came back to us saturday when i was trying to back our trailer down the ramp. now as some of you know by now, i am still learning how to do this without my knees knocking. after my 3rd adjustment (pull up, try again) i looked over and the gal in the truck next to me must have seen the terrified look on my face and said to wait a minute. she pulls her truck/trailer directly in fron of mine, comes back, hops into my truck and in 5 seconds had the thing in the water! i asked her how she learned to do that so well and she said" i'm a farm girl". i sure was glad for her help.

dimarcobros
06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
It is always good to hear that are still people at the river who understand what boating is all about.

LAVEYSABRE575
06-10-2003, 12:13 PM
lakeshow.. yup, i know the boat i had the htm with the purple chechers and lightning bolt.Are you going up on the fourth if so we gotta kill a few silvers. Hopefully my boat will be ready.derek

LAVEYSABRE575
06-10-2003, 12:13 PM
lakeshow.. yup, i know the boat i had the htm with the purple chechers and lightning bolt.Are you going up on the fourth if so we gotta kill a few silvers. Hopefully my boat will be ready.derek

Lakeshow
06-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Re: 7/24 - Absolutely. Hopefully alot before then as well.
Dave mentioned that he saw your boat out of the mold and put together last week at Lavey - said it looks sweet.

Mr.Havasu
06-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Doug H.:
by the way that was a great story and hope it re-news faith in most of us :) but site six is the best comedy hour iv'e seen in years, iv'e even launched thier myself but did not get laughed at (thank god) that is a tough crowd there ready to jump all over ya.. "THE COMMANDER"...doug Never been laughed at either.. but it just pisses me off that they sit there with no life waiting to point and laugh at somebody eleses mis fortune. I've seen nice boats messed up that didn't need to be if some of those F*#k's would get off their lazy asses and help out.

JetBoatRich
06-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Great story, we sure have a lot of good people out there on the water. Recently through boat issues of my own a few of the board members have come together to help me out, great group.
Now as far as watching others mess up there property and just laughing at them, that seems wrong to me. devil unless the people are jerks and refuse the help, help them out.

XTRM22
06-10-2003, 02:58 PM
That is a great story, we sure don't hear enough of em like that! Hey LakeShow, you going to be out this weekend or next? we'll be out both, and I'd still really like to catch a ride in your 28, still trying to talk myself into moving up to the big Extreme.
Chuck

Lakeshow
06-10-2003, 03:52 PM
I will be out this weekend but not next. E-Mail me later in the week and we'll set up a quazi time and place.
Are you going to wait for the alligator look-a-like?

mtndewdrops
06-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Good Story LakeShow...
It is nice to hear that people are still willing to help out.

LUVNLIFE
06-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Great stories it's good to know old school is still in session. The new people could learn alot from the people that started it all in the 60's and 70's. wink

Eric455
06-11-2003, 06:36 PM
LUVNLIFE:
Great stories it's good to know old school is still in session. The new people could learn alot from the people that started it all in the 60's and 70's. wink very true. ur one good example urself. thanx for all the help on sunday.
eric

LUVNLIFE
06-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks Eric. I try. wink :D

JetBoatRich
06-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Eric455:
LUVNLIFE:
Great stories it's good to know old school is still in session. The new people could learn alot from the people that started it all in the 60's and 70's. wink very true. ur one good example urself. thanx for all the help on sunday.
eric You and Jen both know how to treat people, felt bad leaving you Sunday :D
By the way the wagon is to cool :D

Eric455
06-11-2003, 07:35 PM
yea same here. thats why we want you to join us Cale. we want to say sorry that we left you in such a hurry. and this is the least we can do. :D lmao
eric

hot_diggity_dog
06-11-2003, 08:12 PM
The 1st time I met anyone at the Lake on these boards was Charley and jm2rvr.
It was back in January of this year.
jm2rvr was taking his new 26 DCB W/ twin 300x's out for it's maiden voyage on Havasu. :D
We had the standard plan, meet you at the sandbar at 12:00 - 1:00 O'clock. I show up and cruise around and don't see them. :rolleyes:
Wait around for awhile and decide to leave. :rolleyes:
As I start to get closer to the lake I see jm2rvr and Charley floatin with a motor cover off. eek! :confused:
So I stopped to give them a hand and thats how I met them. :cool:
HDD :cool:

Badboat1
06-11-2003, 08:22 PM
That is what it is all about help someone in need .Weird thing about 2 years ago I just loaded my boat up and this asshole was cussing his wife or girlfreind out like crazy,she was backing the trailer and had no thought how to do it.So I went over and backed it for her and the asshole was nice to me but that was a bullshit thing.
Help will come back to ya so help a boater in need.
BB1

91nordic29
06-12-2003, 07:15 AM
two years ago at the cattail cove ramp, i was in our jet boat and hubby went to get rig. i was sittig out at the no wake buoy (where you are SUPPOSED to wait) and a lady was tryin to load their boat on the trailer. windy, pwc's messing up the joint, and her husband yellin at her so bad i wanted to slap him. just then i heard a splash and she had turned off the motor, jumped into the water and screamed "do it you OWN dam self!". boy was he steamed. i wanted to laugh but that would have made him madder. what a trip. jawdrop

Mr.Havasu
06-12-2003, 08:32 AM
91nordic29:
had turned off the motor, jumped into the water and screamed "do it you OWN dam self!". boy was he steamed. Way to go. I don't understand guys who want to ruin a nice day on the lake over such trivial stuff. :confused:

Froggystyle
06-12-2003, 08:39 AM
I am so glad to hear that story. Thanks for relaying it.
OP6 actually started as a way to show the new guys the way it is done. We were going to be a good-times group that partied hard and properly, and showed up whenever possible to make the whole river experience for everyone around us... our crew, our freinds, the people tied up to us, etc... a lot more pleasureable.
Most of the time, all it took was beer strangely enough! In any case, a little guidance and presence goes a long way. I am very happy to see some people still "paying it forward".
Awesome.... Squirts up!

superdave013
06-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Sounds like most of you have had better luck then at Havasu.
When my boat sank for about 45 min. people just came by to take pics. They would do a few circles in their 25+ fotters to make sure it was even more choppy. Then lo and behold a family in a small jet stopped and picked up the three people with me. (I stayed with the bobbing ship :( )
Well the chick that was with me that day is now my wife so I guess it worked out in the end.

dimarcobros
06-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Nothing like a crisis to put a relationship at full speed. Sorry to hear about your story, but I can assure you not all of us boaters are like that. What goes around, comes around. When ever we tow someone back in and they offer us money, we always decline the $$$ and tell them the next boat they see a boat on the lake that is broken down, do the same favor as we just did to them.

HavasuDreamin'
06-12-2003, 10:06 AM
dimarcobros:
When ever we tow someone back in and they offer us money, we always decline the $$$ and tell them the next boat they see a boat on the lake that is broken down, do the same favor as we just did to them. That is exactly how my dad taught me and how I operate. Glad to hear someone else say the same thing. :cool:

cyclone
06-12-2003, 01:50 PM
my positive boating story happend at the 1st Classic Boat Beach Bash last summer. On Sunday, as the event was winding down, myself and my ex-GF, made a trip down river towards topoc with, the Discochargers, Hustler and Fu Fu and the HB Jets. As we stopped for gas i noticed that at idle, water was pouring out of the headers on my boat. I borrowed Disco's tools, turned off the water to the motor and discovered that the spring inside of the Bassett t-fitting had broken. 30 minutes later i had fashioned a new spring out of a paper clip and decided to head back to the Avi in case the paper clip didn't work. The HB Jets volunteered to follow us back. Well we took off from Topoc and i forgot to turn the water back onto the motor. I noticed it when the temp gauge read 250 degrees. I immediately shut the motor down and the HBJets towed us to shore. They then stayed with us for over an hour to wait and see if the motor was fine. Eventually the motor cooled off and i made it back to the hotel. But in the process we wasted over half of their day and they didn't even care. It was the first time I"d met the HB Jets and they've been great friends ever since. the end.

cyclone
06-12-2003, 02:23 PM
i've been dead in the water so many times that i cant remember all of the times my bros have been there to "pitch in" and take my co-pilot to the sand bar. lol

cyclone
06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
hey dont forget my gps antenna tonight. i need it asap.

LUVNLIFE
06-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Eric, Rich thanks for the props.
Superdave, the first time my wife went out in my old boat it went down, but she married me anyway also. wink