PDA

View Full Version : Living Las Vegas??

Wet Dream
03-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Just curious who lives in or near the Vegas area? Henderson, Boulder City. Hows the boating with Mead that close? Is it safe? How are the schools? Cost of living? How is housing? What are the neighborhoods to aviod? Job market? I currently drive a truck and want to stay local. I have kids to raise and its hard to do from a cell phone. Any insight would be appreciated.

77charger
03-07-2003, 04:15 PM
check with stv keith he lives there.I have a buddy who just opened a meat market in henderson which is just outside of vegas so far he loves it he was in so cal before.I myself could do it being close to gambling but i love to go to vegas i do at least 1 trip a year which makes it fun.

twistedpair
03-07-2003, 05:24 PM
We live in Henderson, which is nice cuz' it's close to the lake and still only 25 min. from the strip. Mead is currently at 65% of capacity, but theres still lots of boating, not nearly the zoo you run into at Havasu. What kind of truck do you drive? It seems like there always looking for constuction drivers (belly dump, concrete etc.) You might try this link Nevada Joblink (http://nvjoblink.org) and go to 'Search for Jobs'. Good Luck.

HammerDown
03-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Wet Dream:
Just curious who lives in or near the Vegas area? Henderson, Boulder City. Hows the boating with Mead that close? Is it safe? How are the schools? Cost of living? How is housing? What are the neighborhoods to aviod? Job market? I currently drive a truck and want to stay local. I have kids to raise and its hard to do from a cell phone. Any insight would be appreciated. Find something for me to....my bags are already packed :D
[ March 07, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

STV_Keith
03-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Henderson/BC is on the South end of town. I'm at the North end myself. Housing is VERY reasonable I think.
Mead is decent, but I like more action, like Havasu or Parker, and at only 200 miles to Parker, it's an easy weekend drive, or at 100 miles to Park Moabi (puts you at the Havasu Sandbar in 9 miles by water), Havasu is day trip distance.
Schools are ok I guess (no kids for me), and neighborhood safety comes with the area you live in (like anywhere). There's less going on here than in Miami, where I grew up, that's for sure.

Hallett19
03-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Bill, are you coming out to the left coast to live ?!?! Man, the weather is going to be a huge change for you, but you will like vegas, my step dad lived there for most of his life and he loved it. I know one of the bigger real estate agents up there, let me know if you want to contact him, he is a great guy.

spectratoad
03-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Hey STV, what area do you live in? My dad just got his CofO for his house out off of Athens, off of Lake Mead Dr. We plan on going down there a few times this summer maybe we can hook up at the lake sometime. Todd

OutCole'd
03-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I am from the SFV. I moved to Vegas 5 years ago. I like it here. Really happy with the schools. Housing is much more reasonable than CA. Like Keith said, Saftey depends on where you live. Shit happens everywhere. All in all, I do not regret leaving L.A.
Best of luck.

Wet Dream
03-08-2003, 06:33 AM
I drive a tractor-trailer. Just like the big ones you see running down the interstate. I was hoping that something like Viking, or Roadway or Yellow, something along those lines had a terminal in the area.

OutCole'd
03-08-2003, 07:01 AM
There is a Viking terminal 1/2 mile from my work. I think there are a few hubs in town.

STV_Keith
03-08-2003, 07:10 PM
spectratoad:
Hey STV, what area do you live in? My dad just got his CofO for his house out off of Athens, off of Lake Mead Dr. We plan on going down there a few times this summer maybe we can hook up at the lake sometime. Todd Hey Todd, I'm up by Ann Rd and Decatur. NW side of town.
By all means, drop me an e-mail before you come.

Jordy
03-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Vegas sucks. :D

JetBoatRich
03-08-2003, 07:19 PM
jordanpaulk:
Vegas sucks. :D What do you really think?

Jordy
03-08-2003, 07:20 PM
I think it sucks. :D
Then again, since I'm sitting next to Keith right now it makes it funny. :D

STV_Keith
03-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Ahh, Jordy's just saying that since it's not as hot here as it is in Phoenix.
Wet Dream, I know there are terminals here for Yellow Freight, Overnight trucking and others.

NeoBurn
03-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Next year planning on moving to North Las Vegas found a ton of houses there for extremely reasonable prices compared to San Diego.
I am finishing up my BS in Information Technology. Any job leads send them my way.

Trouble Maker
03-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Been in the North Vegas area for 5 years now. It's not too bad. Close to Mead, Mojave, Havasu, Parker, and even Powell isn't that bad of a drive - What more could a hot boater ask for? Lots of construction on the North side and the roads don't seem to keeping up with the traffic. They do have the "Loop" now, so that helps out alot. There's a few areas to stay away from, just take your time and don't buy the first house you look at.
:) :) :)

THOR
03-09-2003, 08:40 AM
I lived there for 10 years and loved it. I recently moved back to where I was born and raised, Huntington Beach, which is really nice but extremely expensive.
I lived in Green Valley (Henderson) and thought it was great. Nice houses that arent old with decent schools. I cant say whether they were good or bad because I didnt have kids when I lived there.
Best of all, if you bored on a Sat. morning, just pack up your boat and your are 25 minutes to the lake. No shit.
Depending on what you do, there should be jobs. I cant find anything thing in LV for my current profession so I am shit out of luck. But, if you do anything that deals with construction or engineering YOU ARE GOLD.

SoCalOffshore
03-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Has anyone been to Lake Las Vegas?

Sleek-Jet
03-09-2003, 09:52 AM
SoCalOffshore:
Has anyone been to Lake Las Vegas? High rent.. really, really high rent.
I don't think they would appreciate a set of Basset's at full song either!! eek! eek! :D

Freakonaleash
03-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Well lake las vegas is a not a public lake it is privet and you can't boat on it. well thats a lie you can but your boat has to be electric. you can rent one from what i have herd.
Tom