PDA

View Full Version : Almost saw a Sea-Doo rider get killed at Needles

sandblasted
08-27-2002, 10:52 AM
and it would have been the boats fault...I was standing at my buddy's railing saturday evening with a few other guys, drinking beer and watching the last few boats zipping around, about 7:00-7:30pm saturday night..this house is directly across from Needles marina campgrounds. We were watching a pretty nice looking yellow flatbottom come up river at about 30-35 mph, at the same time a sea-doo with 2 riders was come downriver, about in the center of the river, also about 35mph.. all of a sudden this flattie pulls a u-turn right in front the sea-doo..all 4 of us were totally shocked, luckily the sea-doo pilot was looking right at the boat, if he had been looking left or right he would have center punched that flatbottom at 35 mph..probably killing him and his rider and sinking the flattie..as soon as the flattie turned the driver realized what he did and slowed way down...Not sure if the sun was in his eyes or what but I have no doubt the sea-doo riders were checking their shorts afterwards..
just goes to show all the bonehead moves on the water are not made by pwc's.

Floatin'
08-27-2002, 01:06 PM
2 weeks ago I was skiing my wife up river near the cable crossing just before entering into needles, the water is usually very smooth around that stretch of river. I am all the way to the right and a jet boat is coming down river, he is in the middle and heading straight towards us. I put my hand in the air and am waiting for him to do the same and he doesn't. He was headed straight at us so I quickly drop down to an idle and he passes me within 20-25 feet of us and flips us the finger. If I hadn't stopped I am sure he would have hit my wife skiing.
We pulled her in the boat and I was praying this AHOLE would turn around to take his punishment but he took off down river. Brown and Gold Jet Boat, Driver only with a scruffy beard and long hair. We floated down river and never saw him again.

Bahner tunnel
08-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Almost every time I go to the river I see a "near miss" or hear of an accident that weekend . It makes me wonder why there isn't a sort of mandatory driving test for boaters as there is with cars . I don't want to sound like an old man (27) but it seems anyone with $5000 or so can buy a 25 year old jet boat and a case of beer and head for the river. With drunk teens on board going 60 mph with "no brakes" on a holiday weekend makes me a little nervous. I'm also suprised that there aren't more accidents with all of the people who are hammered at the river driving high powered boats . I have had a couple of close calls at the river and dread ever having a boating accident . I guess the only answer is to be aware of your surroundings and others on the water and a little luck never hurts.

sandblasted
08-27-2002, 07:25 PM
I love going to the river but I usually don't pull my kids on tubes there on busy weekends..Too many people, going fast and not paying attention...Just don't like the idea of my kids falling off and bobbing in the water while some drunk runs over them..

disco_charger
08-27-2002, 07:55 PM
Sandblasted, the wife and I saw the exact same incident. I saw you guys tying up the Ultra one night about 5:30, right when me and the Mrs. cruised up to the Avi. For that one screw up of the boater, I saw and was part of at least three near misses with kids at the controls of the lake lice. The lake lice do bug me, but the lack of parenting bothers me even worse. What kind of parent sends their child (I swear one kid was about 10) on a 50mph vehicle onto a busy river.
I cracked up, because there were some day campers at NPR, and they couldn't get near the shore without slamming their Sea Do's into each other, or the Sea Do's anchored near them. Funny shit, cause it wasn't my boat.
Disco

RiverToysJas
08-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Bahner tunnel:
I'm also suprised that there aren't more accidents with all of the people who are hammered at the river driving high powered boats .Maybe that's why there isn't a driving test requirement. Near misses don't cost insurance companies or public services a dime!

sandblasted
08-27-2002, 08:18 PM
disco_charger:
Sandblasted, the wife and I saw the exact same incident. I saw you guys tying up the Ultra one night about 5:30, right when me and the Mrs. cruised up to the Avi. For that one screw up of the boater, I saw and was part of at least three near misses with kids at the controls of the lake lice. The lake lice do bug me, but the lack of parenting bothers me even worse. What kind of parent sends their child (I swear one kid was about 10) on a 50mph vehicle onto a busy river.
I cracked up, because there were some day campers at NPR, and they couldn't get near the shore without slamming their Sea Do's into each other, or the Sea Do's anchored near them. Funny shit, cause it wasn't my boat.
DiscoI never did see that green metal flake beast, were you guys moored in the cove? I got a kick watching people walk their boats out of that cove in the morning because the river was so low..Anyhow, I'm sure you guys had a great weekend, we spent saturday at the sandbar, came back, drank all night and then couldn't get motivated sunday until about 12noon. Just spent the rest of the day in the channel at Park Moabi..

locogringo
08-27-2002, 09:06 PM
Floatin'
[QB]2 weeks ago I was skiing my wife up river QB]Wouldn't that be classified as battery?? How did she breathe? Or is that a "sexual innuendo"
LOL