PDA

View Full Version : Boat Project Photos

Lightning
01-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I recently enlisted the help of Wes (aka Froggystyle) on a project I wanted help with. What I needed to do was:
Replace the batteries in the boat as well as run a separate battery system for the stereo
Install a float charger/storage charger
Install an electric hatch lift
Install a secondary fully automatic bilge pump
and finally to light up the interior for late night partying.
Here are the pictures of the battery system that was installed;
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00554-1.JPG
This is a close up of the starting batteries;
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00546-1.JPG
This is a close up of the batteries that are dedicated to the stereo system
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00552-1.JPG
Here is a shot of the engine compartment with the battery box lids on. The battery switch on the right rear was installed for the stereo batteries. If needed, I can jump start the boat from the stereo batteries. Pretty cool.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00544-1.JPG
One thing I wanted to do was be able to see how much juice was left in the stereo batteries, so we instaleld a digital volt guage on the rear bench bench
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00532-1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00557-1.JPG
Here's a shot of the storage chargers
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00540-1.JPG

Lightning
01-15-2003, 06:51 PM
And finally, here are the shots of the lights that were installed for the late night party action. These photos do not do this setup justice by any means. The lights that were used are awesome, they allow you to aim the light directionally. This is a really cool feature, regular neon (which this isn't) can end up being blinding while you drive. Wes can give more details if anyone wants.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00515-1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00526-1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00528-1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00517-1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00529-1.JPG
[ January 15, 2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Lightning ]

boatnam2
01-15-2003, 07:22 PM
damm that looks good!lightning give me a call if you get a chance 310 816 8216. jim

ACCEPTENCE
01-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Pretty cool, diggin the indirect lighting thing :D :D :D

Raskal
01-15-2003, 07:23 PM
looks good .i like the lights boxed

JetBoatRich
01-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Nice job with the lights. Adds a great touch

XClutchboy725
01-15-2003, 08:41 PM
That's F'en Bitchen!

BoatPI
01-16-2003, 06:30 AM
Is that air cleaner USCG rated? It does not look like it. If not, you could eject the hatch and yourself with the next start up. eek!

THOR
01-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Lightening,
Did you use the zip ties with the holes for the lighting?

Blown 472
01-16-2003, 06:42 AM
BoatPI:
Is that air cleaner USCG rated? It does not look like it. If not, you could eject the hatch and yourself with the next start up. eek! That looks like a coast guard approved KandN.

superV
01-16-2003, 06:46 AM
This is a good example of what is to be exspected by Froggy"got"style new and up coming project! wink

spectratoad
01-16-2003, 08:04 AM
I am getting ready to begin the interior of my boat and will be saving the pics if you don't mind as reference. That is awesome!!! smile_sp

Reaper1
01-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Looks Great! The volt guage is a nice touch, looks trick. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

Shmoolie
01-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Great job. That really turned out nice.
What's the reason for running the 2 6 volts in series for the stereo system?

Charley
01-16-2003, 08:51 AM
being a pimp daddy with the lights and all i'm glad you got some Trojans under the hatch wink

BowTie Rick
01-16-2003, 09:42 AM
BoatPI:
Is that air cleaner USCG rated? It does not look like it. If not, you could eject the hatch and yourself with the next start up. eek! K&N does make a full line of Marine Approved Flame Arrestors for carbed and F/I applications. They look just like the automotive kind at first glance but have stainless metal parts and the words "K&N Marine SAE J1928" on them when looked at more carefully. How do I know? I work at K&N and am the Program Manager for Consumer Sales, Performance, and Marine :D

mbrown2
01-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Lightning, the boat looks great...and the mood lighting is nice for the those night cruises.

HBjet
01-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Good Job! Looks Great!
HBjet

miller19j
01-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Shmoolie:
What's the reason for running the 2 6 volts in series for the stereo system? I would assume to make 12v :confused:

Shmoolie
01-16-2003, 11:37 AM
miller19j:
Shmoolie:
What's the reason for running the 2 6 volts in series for the stereo system? I would assume to make 12v :confused: Of course... but why use the 6 volts in series instead of 12 volts in parallel.

Lightning
01-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Shmoolie:
miller19j:
Shmoolie:
What's the reason for running the 2 6 volts in series for the stereo system? I would assume to make 12v :confused: Of course... but why use the 6 volts in series instead of 12 volts in parallel. The reason for running the batteries in Series is, amp hours. The 6 volts batteries have more amp hours then a 12 volt counterpart. Each one of those batteries have 225 amp hours, 447 minute reserve capacity, as well as 700+ charge cycles available. With the 800 watt amp, 12 speaker setup that I have, it should last at least a whole day (6-8+ hours).

Lightning
01-16-2003, 12:29 PM
superV:
This is a good example of what is to be exspected by Froggy"got"style new and up coming project! wink No doubt, the quality of the work is awesome to say the least. No corners were cut, everything that was completed definately exceeded my expectations.

Lightning
01-16-2003, 12:31 PM
BoatPI:
Is that air cleaner USCG rated? It does not look like it. If not, you could eject the hatch and yourself with the next start up. eek! Thanks for watching out for me. Yes it is USCG rated.
BowTie Rick, Thanks for helping me out with that part#. I appreciate it.

Lightning
01-16-2003, 12:35 PM
THOR:
Lightening,
Did you use the zip ties with the holes for the lighting? The clamps for the lighting were the type that you screw in. They are round style with the eyelets on the end. Does that make sense?

Shmoolie
01-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Lightning:
The reason for running the batteries in Series is, amp hours. The 6 volts batteries have more amp hours then a 12 volt counterpart. Each one of those batteries have 225 amp hours, 447 minute reserve capacity, as well as 700+ charge cycles available. With the 800 watt amp, 12 speaker setup that I have, it should last at least a whole day (6-8+ hours). Thanks Lightning. That's good info to know.
What do you have as far as stereo equipment?
I'm getting ready to do a system in my ultra.
[ January 16, 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Shmoolie ]

Lightning
01-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Shmoolie:
Lightning:
The reason for running the batteries in Series is, amp hours. The 6 volts batteries have more amp hours then a 12 volt counterpart. Each one of those batteries have 225 amp hours, 447 minute reserve capacity, as well as 700+ charge cycles available. With the 800 watt amp, 12 speaker setup that I have, it should last at least a whole day (6-8+ hours). Thanks Lightning. That's good info to know.
What do you have as far as stereo equipment?
I'm getting ready to do a system in my ultra. I have the following
(2) 12" Subs in the kick panels on driver and passenger side
(4) 6"x9" in the rear bench
(4) 6.5" on the sides
(2) 4.5" in the bow
DEI 6550 Amp running the whole system
Pioneer Deck
The stereo was installed by Advanced Audio in El Cajon, they do really good work. Actually, they do most of the stereos for Ultra if you were to get it done through Ultra prior to delivery. I went there right after delivery of the boat and saved some money (no Ultra markup). The battery system was not done by Advanced Audio, all they did was the items listed above.
[ January 16, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Lightning ]

rivercrazy
01-16-2003, 02:53 PM
WOW. Thats impressive that one amplifer can run all of these speakers. I'm impressed!
If you don't mind, can I ask you the following questions?
* Are all speakers rated at 4ohms?
* Are the speakers wired in series and not parallel?
* How much do those 6V batteries weigh?
By the way - Nice tight job on the install Wes.
[ January 16, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

Lightning
01-16-2003, 03:29 PM
rivercrazy:
WOW. Thats impressive that one amplifer can run all of these speakers. I'm impressed!
If you don't mind, can I ask you the following questions?
* Are all speakers rated at 4ohms?
* Are the speakers wired in series and not parallel?
* How much do those 6V batteries weigh?
By the way - Nice tight job on the install Wes. To awnswer your questions.
The speaker are all 4 ohm's, I am not sure how the speakers are wired.
FYI - The amp has a fan mounted alongside of it to keep it cool. It used to cutout in the AZ heat. The amp is mounted behind the side panel of the passenger seat.
The 6 volt batteries weigh 62lbs each.
Here a link T-105 Stereo Battery (http://www.trojan-battery.com/GolfDC.asp?Product=51)
Here's a link to the starting batteries. I think this is the one, I can't remember off the top of my head. Starting Battery 24TM (http://www.trojan-battery.com/MarineDC.asp?Product=39)
If you need more info on this stuff, talk to Wes. He can find out exactly what battery is needed for your application and maybe even get a better price for you.

rivercrazy
01-16-2003, 03:40 PM
Hmm. I would have thought those batteries would have been heavier. They are not really too bad at all. I think Optimas are close to 50 pounds each. Thanks for the info!

Lightning
01-16-2003, 04:02 PM
rivercrazy:
Hmm. I would have thought those batteries would have been heavier. They are not really too bad at all. I think Optimas are close to 50 pounds each. Thanks for the info! They aren't too bad, actually I like the extra weight back there for the wakeboarding.

rivercrazy
01-16-2003, 04:58 PM
I am always looking for more stereo power.
The way I read the specs on the 6V batteries is they are rated for 115 reserve minutes at a 75 amp draw. If you series wire them to get 12 volts the rating stays the same: 115 reserve minutes at 75 amp draw.
If you compare this to one Deep Cycle 12V Optima, they are rated at 120 reserve minutes at a 25 amp draw.
Clearly the two 6V batteries in series gives you more run time at higher amp draws than the one 12V Optima
I would guess your amp draw before amplifer clipping to be around 60-70 amp draw if the amp puts out its 800W rated power RMS. That would equal approximately 2 hours run time before the batteries drop below 10.5V. Below that, most amps cut off either due to excessive heat or not enough volts.
Are you sure you can run all day on one bank of two 6V batteries wired in series or is there something I don't understand about this setup.
Two of these sure look better than two 12V Optima's though.........
Thanks for the help in advance :D
[ January 16, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

Lightning
01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
rivercrazy:
I am always looking for more stereo power.
The way I read the specs on the 6V batteries is they are rated for 115 reserve minutes at a 75 amp draw. If you series wire them to get 12 volts the rating stays the same: 115 reserve minutes at 75 amp draw.
If you compare this to one Deep Cycle 12V Optima, they are rated at 120 reserve minutes at a 25 amp draw.
Clearly the two 6V batteries in series gives you more run time at higher amp draws than the one 12V Optima
I would guess your amp draw before amplifer clipping to be around 60-70 amp draw if the amp puts out its 800W rated power RMS. That would equal approximately 2 hours run time before the batteries drop below 10.5V. Below that, most amps cut off either due to excessive heat or not enough volts.
Are you sure you can run all day on one bank of two 6V batteries wired in series or is there something I don't understand about this setup.
Two of these sure look better than two 12V Optima's though.........
Thanks for the help in advance :D Rivercrazy, Thanks for the compliment on the setup. I'll preface my answer by saying, I am not an expert at this stuff. I'm under the impression, when you series wire them to 12 volt, the reserve minutes will double. Also, the rating listed from Trojan is a little under stated. Another reason I chose the Trojans was due to the high number of charge cycles they have, if I remember correctly 735+.
Wes has a similar setup in his boat with four Trojan batteries, instead of two like I did. He is pushing two amps (Pheonix Gold Ti), with his 4 batteries and has seen over 8 hours of play time. I think he will be able to answer your question in more detail.
Hope this helps....

mike37
01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Lightning
thats a bitchin setup

Havasu_Jet_85
01-16-2003, 07:28 PM
That looks sweet

rivercrazy
01-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Cause your going from 6V to 12V, the reserve capacity stays the same
[ January 16, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

77charger
01-16-2003, 09:17 PM
rivercrazy the 6 volt set up (wired in a series)is the way to go they are usually golf cart batteries and the amp hours are 200-225.
When you wire in a series the amp hours remain the same but the reserve capacity doubles.Another + with the 6 volts is that they can be drawn low and rapidly charged unlike deep cycle 12 volts.
I just installed 2 6 volts on my toybox and they kick ass.I have read alot of info about them and most people are getting twice the time before charing over deep cycle 12 volts.They are a tad taller but fit in the boxes.I got mine fro ma golf cart place next door to my work for 55 bucks each.If you dont mind the extra weight go for it.
On another note the 6 volters do not have the cranking amps to start a car(only the reserve capacity) that is where the 12s work best

BoatFloating
01-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Lightning, What was the cost on those 6v from Trojan??????

Cantrip
01-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Trojans are the best, I use their batteries in my cars and boat, and its a good family owned company, the wife of the guy who started it and her kids run the show now.

NEW 2 RIVER
01-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Cant wait to see the boats this guy is building
this is the second time I saw his work posted on here and it looks clean. :)

Lightning
01-17-2003, 09:42 AM
BoatFloating:
Lightning, What was the cost on those 6v from Trojan?????? They weren't too expensive considering what they can do. I don't remember exactly; $300 to $400 for all 4. Definately cheaper than buying 4 Optima's.

Lightning
01-17-2003, 09:44 AM
mike37:
Lightning
thats a bitchin setup Thanks Mike, I'm really happy with it.

Lightning
01-17-2003, 09:48 AM
For those of you who want more information on batteries then you could wish for, check out this website. Battery Information (http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm)

Froggystyle
01-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the good words everyone. Good pics Lightning!
In order...
Thor: Lightening,
Did you use the zip ties with the holes for the lighting?
We used plastic Adel style clamps. Nearly invisible and provide a little flex if impacted for any reason.
SuperV: This is a good example of what is to be exspected by Froggy"got"style new and up coming project!
This is a little, itty bitty sneak peek, but you get the idea. wink Thanks SV...
Rivercrazy: By the way - Nice tight job on the install Wes.
Thanks Dave!
New 2 River: Cant wait to see the boats this guy is building
this is the second time I saw his work posted on here and it looks clean.
Thanks N2R, lots of work over the top, but always worth it. You will dig the new boat...
Thanks again for the great input. Any questions you have, ask away and I will answer to the best of my ability.

ROZ
01-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Froggystyle:
Any questions you have, ask away and I will answer to the best of my ability. Wes,
Did you ever find out the answer to this question?
" When it comes to stewed prunes, is three enough, and is four too many?"
Just curious... :D
P.S.....Guys, The boat looks fantastic. Good Job!
[ January 17, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Lightning
01-17-2003, 12:36 PM
ROZ:
Froggystyle:
Any questions you have, ask away and I will answer to the best of my ability. Wes,
P.S.....Guys, The boat looks fantastic. Good Job! Roz,
Give me a call, I need to place an order.
Ari

Froggystyle
01-17-2003, 01:17 PM
ROZ:
Froggystyle:
P.S.....Guys, The boat looks fantastic. Good Job! You know the drill Roz... Four, is too many.
Fletch lives... unsung gem!

STV_Keith
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Dragging this to the top again...I have a question. :)
In the past, I have seen that most amps are rated at 14.4v. They produce their max power at 14.4, and dimished power at 12v. Given that some companies out there offer 8v batters (specifically the Rolls/Surrette), why would you not run an 8v and a 6v for 14v? Or why not two 8v batteries, then resistor it down to 14.4v so it never drops below there if possible?

Lightning
10-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Dragging this to the top again...I have a question. :)
In the past, I have seen that most amps are rated at 14.4v. They produce their max power at 14.4, and dimished power at 12v. Given that some companies out there offer 8v batters (specifically the Rolls/Surrette), why would you not run an 8v and a 6v for 14v? Or why not two 8v batteries, then resistor it down to 14.4v so it never drops below there if possible?
You must have drug this from way down low to bring it to the top - how did you even remember this thread exists?
To answer your question, 6 volt batteries are really 7.2 - at least that's what the charger reads when I am recharging them. 12 volt batteries always top some where around 14+ volts (maybe even 16.1 I think), not sure though. Ever look at the volt meter in the car, notice it's on 14 not 12?
Why not use 2 8's and a resistor? I have no idea - I think it's more about amp hours than anything else.
This all being said, please pass the popcorn and let the debate begin. If anyone wants me to repost the phots that are red "x" let me know - I think I can dig them up.