PDA

View Full Version : TOWING ETIQUETTE

burtandnancy
08-24-2002, 02:05 PM
I've noticed lately a lot of you younger guys and new boaters have really nice boats and you seem to drive them well, but to tell the truth you don't have TOWING ETIQUETTE. As an old timer(boating since '58) and one who tows to FL, TX, LOTO, AZ, NV and Nor Cal I'd like to make a few pointers;
1st, some of you don't have the correct tow vehicle for your size boat. If you can't merge into freeway traffic without causing a lot of braking by others, go back and buy a bigger truck. If you can't get up Cajon, Chiricao or the Baker Grade at least at the speed limit, go back and buy a new truck.
2nd, If you're on the I-10, I-15 or I-40 and you can see the horizon in front of you, look in your mirror. You probably have the rest of us backed up to LA. YOU are the problem.
3rd, Don't be a balloon foot letting your speed drop off all the time. Use your cruise control, thats whats it's for.
4th, If you want to blow by me please flash, honk or yell, I'll get out of your way. I'll be about a mile behind while you troll for the CHP.Remember I'll be going 70.
5th, When we get to the launch ramp, please use the GET READY lane for just that. If you load your boat or delay me in any way with your tail in the water, you're going to hear some words you won't want your wife or kids to hear.
Finally, if we meet face on, on one of the many two lanes roads we all must use and I quick flash you three times, SLOW DOWN. I'm telling you you're about to drive into a radar speed trap! You can return the favor.
I'm sure there are lots more comments and you young guys are welcome to take a shot at the old man...

superdave013
08-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Ok, I can add to this a lil.
Launching Etiquette part 2
This goes out to mainly people that are in the new boat industry.
You know who you are. You test boats and take people for test rides at Elsinore and you LEAVE your trailer in the water right next to one of the docks. You better lock your truck, because I'm about ready to start launching your Truck for you!
Could you please be like the rest of us in the unwashed masses and pull your truck and trailer out of the way and park it. I know it's alot to ask but hey, I do it for you.
[ August 24, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Chestah Cheetah
08-24-2002, 02:36 PM
My peeve: If you drop your boat in the water and it won't start while it's still on the trailer, pull the damn thing out. Don't go off for 20 minutes searching for jumper cables while I'm waiting to launch. If you're courteous and do the right thing, I might lend you my cables.

Essex502
08-24-2002, 03:02 PM
Chestah...had that exact thing happen to me at Lake Mojave a couple of weeks ago, yanked that puppy right back out got back in line (another 30 minutes :( but did the right thing. I hate watching all those obviously new boaters who don't know anything about etiquette.

Chestah Cheetah
08-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Good move E502! The only time I would even consider staying on the launch to wrench is when NOBODY is waiting during off times or off days. It happened to us over Memorial at LHM with this guy who had a Warlock SXT cat that wouldn't start. I got out of the truck 2 times to talk to the attendant who just kept saying "they almost have it".......and the 3rd time I told the boat owner to move. At that moment the attendant stopped the lane next to mine and had me cross the lane diagonally and straighten out into the water........I was towing a 30 footer - it took us ONE MINUTE to launch.

XClutchboy725
08-24-2002, 03:51 PM
What gets my goat every time is the guy who thinks he can tow in the fast lane!
Don't get me wrong, I've been known to smooth over to the third lane every once in a while to pass those big rigs who just have to duke it out, but COME ON!!

EricinNv
08-24-2002, 04:25 PM
This is one of the things I like best about these forums. The Etiquette threads. Just about all of the experienced of you have the same opinions. I just hope the other un-experienced "lurkers" such as myself, have the savvy to use this information to their advantage. Take notes y'all! I've learned more in the past few weeks listening (reading) to these guys and picking their brains. There's a lot of knowledge here to be learned.

Mohavekid
08-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Glad to hear it Eric, too bad most of the people that need to lean this stuff are'nt here and probably will never learn. The things they do give all boaters a bad reputation.

77charger
08-24-2002, 05:09 PM
burtandnancy:
truck. If you can't get up Cajon, Chiricao or the Baker Grade at least at the speed limit, go back and buy a new truck.
Well i wish it was that easy!!
i drive an older suburban and it is a turd on power especially when towing a toybox trailer up hills.

kcm21
08-24-2002, 05:17 PM
not totally associated with towing but if you are not dropping your driver off at the dock.......make room for the people that are. the worst is a cluster f$ck of boats with no room to drop off.
-kevin-

Chaddyshack
08-24-2002, 05:28 PM
I figure I may as well get my two cents in as well...... your not allowed in California to be in ANY other lane besides the 2 right lanes and your not allowed to go faster than 55. If your caught in any other lane than the two right ones, its 100 bucks (no court and no excuse). The speed fine is greatly enhanced (three times to be exact) while towing ANY trailer.
Now for those of you (me included) that feel the need to show off your super mega, ultra wiz bang, high zoot, 40 pound boost pressure, supercharged, huge flowmaster exhast high freaking dollar machine to show everybody just how bitchin you are by doing 80 in the fast lane..... Johnny Law is out there with his bitchin disco lights to make sure you know that he/or her is jealous that their meanial salary will not allow your lifestyle!!!!!

mike37
08-24-2002, 05:38 PM
If you cant back your boat in launch and get the hell out in less than 2 minutes stay home

Hallett19
08-24-2002, 05:40 PM
I have been towing for two years now and I tow a 19 ft jet (pretty light) with an Expedition with a 5.4 and 3.73 gears and it will haul my boat up the cajon pass at 70 without my foot on the floor. But Burt, you cant expect everyone to go pony up for new trucks because they inconvenience you, that isnt cool. Before I got my truck, I towed it with my brothers '87 S-10 with a 2.8 V6 and it couldnt get up the grapevine any better than a big rig, sometimes worse. So you might have a bad ass truck and tow a little time boat or you might have a bad ass boat, who knows, but I don't care what you have, there are just some boater that don't have the best equipment to tow but they love to boat and go out and have a good time just like you and me, so cut them some slack. So if these guys are going to slow, go around them, I do. But you are totally right about the lauch, I have run into some real clowns. When I launch my boat, I go to the load area, put all my passengers and gear in the boat, unhook it and fire it up to make sure it starts. Then, right when I am ready to get dropped of, I start it right before I get in the water, so when I hit the water I am in reverse and the truck/trailer can go and park imediatley. :cool:

shockwavebd
08-24-2002, 06:54 PM
superdave013:
Ok, I can add to this a lil.
Launching Etiquette part 2
This goes out to mainly people that are in the new boat industry.
You know who you are. You test boats and take people for test rides at Elsinore and you LEAVE your trailer in the water right next to one of the docks. You better lock your truck, because I'm about ready to start launching your Truck for you!
Could you please be like the rest of us in the unwashed masses and pull your truck and trailer out of the way and park it. I know it's alot to ask but hey, I do it for you.The far left dock has a BIG red line painted on the cement. IT IS FOR DEALERS TO leave there trailers in the water.Week days only! Not on the weekends.

Kindsvater Flat
08-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Where we go there is no wait, except when salmon season starts. Shit your lucky if you see another boat at the same time. My only bitch was at Lake Berryessa, most of them parked on the ramp and left about 1 1/2 lanes to launch.

NashvilleBound
08-24-2002, 07:52 PM
I have to jump in here... Its not only the young guys doing the lame ass things. We have grampa doing 50 in the passing lane as well, while Mr Yuppie in his Cebby Burb with the new Bayliner is going 85 in the hammer lane. ChaddyShack you hit that right on! eek! Burt I agree with everything you posted!
And lets try to start our boats BEFORE we float them off the trailers. This way you dont look like any more of a tard than you already are trying to bring it back in onto the trailer. :D :D :D

77charger
08-24-2002, 08:30 PM
burtandnancy:
If you can't get up Cajon, Chiricao or the Baker Grade at least at the speed limit, go back and buy a new truck.
.another thing show me a lane on these hills where you can drive your high horsepowered truck without a big rig in front of you without breaking the law have to remember alot of theses trucks are averaging 35 so what good would it do to keep up the speed limit or complain about someone towing 50mph?

syke-o
08-24-2002, 09:49 PM
Being somewhat of a rookie on the launch ramp myself, i have been to the launch ramp at Havasu on big weekends, and watched the festivities and saw what not to do. One weekend, while still somewhat of a rookie, i was forced by my friend to wait in a 3 hour line to back in the Tahoe(with blown power steering) and trailer in front of at least 100 onlookers. Within 2 minutes, in the dark, i had the truck backed down, the boat on the trailer, and all that the crowd could say was "thats how it should be done." I learned from others mistakes.

skeepwerkzaz
08-24-2002, 10:11 PM
How about when you are huffing up Chiriaco/grapevine/alpine at 65 passing the elephant line and some clown that doesn't know any better, pulls out right infront of you at 20mph. For guys like me that tow with a grannylow 4 speed this it the WORST. I wish I had a rocket launcher. :p

spectras only
08-25-2002, 01:07 AM
This is an interesting topic for newbies or seasoned boaters.However I've noticed everybody has their preference how the other boaters should behave on the ramp or on the roads.The legal speedlimit for towing in most states is 55MPH, regardless what you have [650 supercruiser or 3500 Duramax Diesel].Most rigs would require anti swaybars to keep it going straight with heavy boats.Most don't have it ,so it's safer to stay at 55! I've been trailering for 35 odd years ,and lately I find myself pissed off at some smart asses, telling me that I should lunch my boat in two minutes or less:mad:When I have adult companion it's no problem.I'm in the boat ,friend backing the trailer down ,I float ,he parks my rig voila ! But when I'm with my 12 year old son,sorry I can't ask him to drive my boat off the trailer and circle while I park my trailer.Last year some smart ass people [3 of them in their twenties]were giving me a lesson that I shouldn't tie up my boat at the dock,but rather drive off the trailer to give them a chance to pull their boat out sooner.WTF did they expect me to do,ask my kid to park the trailer? It seems to me ,boating is not a passtime anymore ,but a freaking rush to whatever destination.These and a some other clowns have no common sense at all.Sorry if anyone took my ranting personal ,but I just happened to be out today with my son and the very same scenario occured.I've apologized to the party involved with a sarcastic tone for the inconvenience I've caused to them for 5 to 7 agonizing minutes :rolleyes: .

Chaddyshack
08-25-2002, 08:38 AM
The legal speedlimit for towing in most states is 55MPH, regardless what you have [650 supercruiser or 3500 Duramax Diesel].Most rigs would require anti swaybars to keep it going straight with heavy boats.Most don't have it ,so it's safer to stay at 55!

Hallett19
08-25-2002, 08:47 AM
Spectras, I feel you on that one, I have gone out dozens and dozens of times on my own, and there is just no way around having to leave your car parked in the water while you tie up your boat. And if there are people like that at the ramp, or in your situation, I have taken my little brother out several times and its the same gig, and people have said "dude, we are trying to launch here" I just say the same thing, "me too buddy". It does frustrate me a little when I am trying to launch and someone is zig zagging down the ramp for almost 10 min!!!!(El Cap a few weeks ago, remember froggy??) or when a bunch of douch bags are lolly gaging and bullshitting at the ramp with the boat on the trailer a few feet out of the water unloading their boat and drinking beers, that kills me. But you have to understand, that in a few minutes, you will be in the nice cool water with your own boat, so there is no reason to stress a whole lot.
http://manifestation.org/~ill/images/funny/thanks4info[1].gif
[ August 25, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

Chaddyshack
08-25-2002, 09:07 AM
Chaddyshack:
The legal speedlimit for towing in most states is 55MPH, regardless what you have [650 supercruiser or 3500 Duramax Diesel].Most rigs would require anti swaybars to keep it going straight with heavy boats.Most don't have it ,so it's safer to stay at 55!...sorry about my previous post I'm a ***boat computer idiot.
Spectra.... I have to say I agree mostly with what you are saying, but the speed limit arguement I have have to wave the Bulls*** flag on. I have been a truck driver and been across this nation of ours and California is one of the only retarted states that requires trucks and vehicles with trailers to go 55 and stay in the right 2 lanes. I believe that ALL vehicles should be able to go the same speed and there should be concessions on steep grades for passing slower vehicles. You are never going to have people that can afford the entire package (bitchin boat with suitable truck).
The major problem is most people only think of how fast and how bitchin to and from the lake/river they are going to. But us ole' truck drivers know that stopping is a HELLUVA lot more important than starting. These large trucks that you all bitch about on the steep grades go as fast as they can. They don't go slow because they want to, believe me!!! Your only argument is to pull as far left as needed to pass them safely and get right back over, most law enforcement officers will understand that and not hassle you.
As far as the boat ramp stuff....if you can't back your damn trailer in a straight line.... go to a big parking lot and practice until you get it straight!!!!

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 09:32 AM
I agree with the practice BEFORE you get to the ramp. It would not take long to "get it right" and save yourself some grief at the ramp. My trophy wife and myself can do the whole deal in less than 30 seconds (launching and retrieving....thank you:) and this is only our second season ever solo. I didn't know a 3500 Duramax could go over 55?!?!?
eek! eek! eek!

Chaddyshack
08-25-2002, 09:52 AM
NashvilleBound:
I didn't know a 3500 Duramax could go over 55?!?!?
eek! eek! eek! NB, first off - welcome back from Vegas!!!! Tell ya what, lets trade sleds and see who beats who up the hills and on the flats!!!! wink wink

spectras only
08-25-2002, 10:00 AM
I didn't know a 3500 Duramax could go over 55?!?!?NB ,I know someone with a new 3500 TD Duramax dually towing a 38 Donzi ZX on a triple axel that could :p

burtandnancy
08-25-2002, 10:03 AM
Spectras Only
What Caddy Shack forgot to say in his post was that in every other state but CAL, trucks and vehicles pulling trailers have the same speed limit, 70 or 75. So you don't have the two right lanes plugged up like we do. Our problem here is the two speed limits, and way too many of us living in So CAL. The CHP seems to cut us a lot of slack if we just behave...

spectras only
08-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Burt, shouldn't you be out testing your new Hallett instead of pounding the keys wink I'm just wating for the sun burning up the clouds and am gone for testing the rex tip with the slip in mufflers.Curious what drop will result in RPM's ? Never cared for the supertrapps in the past.
[ August 25, 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

spectras only
08-25-2002, 10:24 AM
spectras only:
Burt, at least you guys have more lanes like 6/8.we do three at the most in B.C ;)The problem is with density on the highways.You could go a 100 in saskachewan or manitoba for hours before you see another vehicle.Everybody wants to live around big cities ,being in a zoo :D

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 10:26 AM
I believe its getting deep in here with all this inflated Chebby talk. I think its time to go put my boots on! Thanks for the welcome back...it was a brutal trip financially. I dont know why I do that to myself but whatever.... And ya'll are right about CA gettin all clogged up cuz the 2 different speeds. It flows much better out of state. Isnt CHP just AAA with guns....Right CS?? lol......

Chaddyshack
08-25-2002, 11:19 AM
As a member of REAL law enforcement (Sheriff's), I can tell you that CHP (AAA with guns) is hesitant to change the speed limit to 70 or 75 for trucks due to the amount of revenue they will lose by not being able to write speeding tickets to commercial vehicles (and that is what you are when your towing).
The bottom line is that modern technology (sway bars, trailer disc brakes, high horsepower) has enabled ALL of us to go 75 miles per hour SAFELY on the freeway not only with the equipment but Caltrans has to be able to certify the roadway for those speeds no matter the vehicle.
And NB your F-450 is a nice piece of equipment, dont get me wrong, but does it have heated seats or is that just the overheated turbo from trying to keep up with my Duramax ??? LOL :D

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 11:29 AM
Um...ya :rolleyes: We should see if Naci is good for a campsite later in the month. it might be low but it should be ok once your out in the water. Oh, and the trip thing is dependant on getting the boat trailer ROLLING again. snicker...snicker :)

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 11:31 AM
P.S. I am not sure what it was..... it was too hard to see you in my REAR VIEW MIRRORS on our last trip. And dont give me that weight stuff :D

Chaddyshack
08-25-2002, 11:54 AM
NashvilleBound:
And dont give me that weight stuff :D Yea I guess your right..... your 6000 pounds is comperable to my 15000... what the hell was I thinking? :p

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 01:00 PM
SEE!!! I knew you would go there!!!!

lakesmodified
08-25-2002, 02:01 PM
spectras only:
This is an interesting topic for newbies or seasoned boaters.However I've noticed everybody has their preference how the other boaters should behave on the ramp or on the roads.The legal speedlimit for towing in most states is 55MPH, regardless what you have [650 supercruiser or 3500 Duramax Diesel].Most rigs would require anti swaybars to keep it going straight with heavy boats.Most don't have it ,so it's safer to stay at 55! I've been trailering for 35 odd years ,and lately I find myself pissed off at some smart asses, telling me that I should lunch my boat in two minutes or less:mad:When I have adult companion it's no problem.I'm in the boat ,friend backing the trailer down ,I float ,he parks my rig voila ! But when I'm with my 12 year old son,sorry I can't ask him to drive my boat off the trailer and circle while I park my trailer.Last year some smart ass people [3 of them in their twenties]were giving me a lesson that I shouldn't tie up my boat at the dock,but rather drive off the trailer to give them a chance to pull their boat out sooner.WTF did they expect me to do,ask my kid to park the trailer? It seems to me ,boating is not a passtime anymore ,but a freaking rush to whatever destination.These and a some other clowns have no common sense at all.Sorry if anyone took my ranting personal ,but I just happened to be out today with my son and the very same scenario occured.I've apologized to the party involved with a sarcastic tone for the inconvenience I've caused to them for 5 to 7 agonizing minutes :rolleyes: .spectras only
I couldn't agree with you more!!! ALSO, I guess those posting on this topic were born towing a boat/trailer? Come on guys, you never were a first time boater? Never had that first trip to the boat ramp? Never had any trouble at all getting your boat started? Never had an underpowered vehicle towing your boat?? I can remember one family trip to Mohave, when during the heat of the day, my middle daughter(she was 6 or 7 at the time)went into anaphylactic shock. We were used to her having these allergic reactions from time to time, and always carried epinephrine shot kits. However, this time would prove different, she was having an extremely difficult time breathing, and when I pulled our mini-daycruiser into the middle of the boat ramp at Catherines Landing, of course, in front of all the boats in their holding patterns, I thought I was going to get killed by about 15 people. These "boating" people, turned out to be the biggest assholes I had ever seen in my life! The ranger noticed something was terribly wrong, and came running over to my boat and proceeded to carry my daughter, which was now unconscious, into their trailer/office. Meanwhile, he told me to get my truck/trailer, bypass all the people waiting, and get my boat out.... All the while, I still had assholes calling me name, etc... That my friend is a bunch of crap.. I just have to wonder how many of those guys, thought they were the experts at towing, launching, etc???

kcm21
08-25-2002, 02:26 PM
LM,
I think most seasoned boaters are not quick to jump down someones throat. I think the people that shoot there mouths off for no reasons (like that) are just A*holes. I think this topic was originally posted to adress people who think that the launch ramp is a social place! If I see someone having a hard time backing their trailer in I am not gonna open my mouth because we all began at some point. The people that I have had interactions with on this forum all seem like cool people and i think the people that shoot their mouths off on the ramp probably aren't cool enough to post on this site! :D

nuboater
08-25-2002, 02:47 PM
What about letting your boat warm up? Shouldn't you?
I've a newbie and it takes more than 2 min. to launch but I try not to inconvience anyone else...I think that is the issue. Isn't it?

396_Z
08-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Chaddy, man, do I know what your talking about...
I drive a 2001 Kenworth (600 hp cummins/18 speed thank you) that pulls hills better than most pickup/boat combos and then I get home and piss myself off by towing my boat with my 92 4.3 powered S-10 Blazer.
At least I can back up when I get there. Takes me mere seconds to get down the ramp when I'm ready.

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 03:12 PM
nuboater: Your boat will warm up while it idles out waiting for whoever has the tow vehicle to park and return. I am always on the lookout for someone that needs a hand. Doesnt matter what it is, backing in to just a second person.
The ignorant A$$holes will always be there because thats just who they are. I will always walk down if someones having a problem. I dont care who's yelling at them and I will invite them down too for a chat. Most of the time it stops right there. On the flip side every person I have met on this board seems genuinely kind and caring towards fellow boaters as it should be.

burtandnancy
08-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Lets get back to the subject; TOWING ETIQUETTE, not just on the launch ramps. How about the guy who comes up along side a slow moving 18 wheeler and gets hynotized? Takes him/her 10 miles to figure out if he should slow down or speed up. And we don't have very many of these, but where they exist why don't slow towers use turnouts? Isn't it the law? And also, Nancy or I have helped many a person use the launch ramps and its usually greatly appreciated by the boater and everyone else in line. You meet a lot of nice people this way...

08-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
Where we go there is no wait, except when salmon season starts. Shit your lucky if you see another boat at the same time. My only bitch was at Lake Berryessa, most of them parked on the ramp and left about 1 1/2 lanes to launch.They left you 1 1/2 lanes? They are very kind. In was there once when the morons had the entire ramp blocked and no body would move. I was told to go ask someone else to move. :mad:

Rexone
08-25-2002, 05:25 PM
ok here's my .02 on this... I agree with much of what's been said as far as people showing some courtesy on the road and on the ramp. However, some of it I don't agree with at all. I've been boating for about 30 years now (I think that'll qualify as very experienced) and remember back when I started, didn't have the bitchin truck, had an old 64 chevy with a small block. I towed and went boating with that truck for probably 12 years, successfully. And it wouldn't go anywhere near 70 going up those grades mentioned. And, I couldn't afford a "bigger truck" although I'd have liked to have one very much. While I can back up a trailer, many of those I've boated with over the years haven't had the same level of profenciency at it. People have to learn, and not everyone can afford all the latest kick ass boats and trucks etc.
My suggestion would be just drive around them if you feel so compelled, and perhaps a little help to that person on the ramp would go alot further than cussin them out and pissin everyone off. And I'm not talking about the moron who's obviously not being courteous and just doesn't give a shit about anyone else...go ahead and let that guy have it. I'm talking about the everyday guy who just maybe doesn't have the experience or the money to do it at the same level others do, and needs a little guidence. The guy takin his family out boating who maybe doesn't have a wife or kid or buddy that can handle the boat or trailer proficiently and has to sit at the dock for 5 minutes while he parks the trailer. That doesn't mean that guy doesn't have the right to go boating as much as anyone else. I just think a little patience and understanding would be in order rather than just classifying everyone who can't launch in under 2 minutes and tow at 70 as an inconsiderate moron that deserves some form verbal abuse. The fact that I can launch a boat in under a minute and be gone doesn't mean everyone can or should be expected to be able to.

mike37
08-25-2002, 06:48 PM
I think we all have a problem with ASS HOLES that think the road or the ramp is for there convenience screw the rest of us
But those of us with experience will always be patient or help a new boater or dad or mom out with the kids

DickDanger
08-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Most of the turn out lanes are $hit, and I dont want to hit one doing 50-60 and throw rocks all over my boat. If you slow enough to take one, then you piss the people off behind you even more. Furthermore, I believe that if you are holding up 5 cars or more, you are required to get out of the way. But I agree, my Toy 4x4 only hits 55 going up Cajon, towing a 3500 lbs boat/trailer, and I DO stay in the right lane, unless I need to get around a big rig. WTF should people do if they dont have something that isnt capable of doing 70 mph+? Just not go boating? Only go boating where the drive is flat to and from? Come on here, have a little patience. I understand about idiots holding up traffic for 10 minutes. When I moved here from Washington State, it amazed me then, and it still does. Californians are in such a damn hurry all the time, that they friggin just hurry through their lives, always in a rush to get here, there, and everywhere. Slow down a bit, give your blood pressure a break, and try to enjoy your drive from time to time. -DD Out

lakesmodified
08-25-2002, 08:15 PM
DickDanger:
Most of the turn out lanes are $hit, and I dont want to hit one doing 50-60 and throw rocks all over my boat. If you slow enough to take one, then you piss the people off behind you even more. Furthermore, I believe that if you are holding up 5 cars or more, you are required to get out of the way. But I agree, my Toy 4x4 only hits 55 going up Cajon, towing a 3500 lbs boat/trailer, and I DO stay in the right lane, unless I need to get around a big rig. WTF should people do if they dont have something that isnt capable of doing 70 mph+? Just not go boating? Only go boating where the drive is flat to and from? Come on here, have a little patience. I understand about idiots holding up traffic for 10 minutes. When I moved here from Washington State, it amazed me then, and it still does. Californians are in such a damn hurry all the time, that they friggin just hurry through their lives, always in a rush to get here, there, and everywhere. Slow down a bit, give your blood pressure a break, and try to enjoy your drive from time to time. -DD OutDD, you're 100% correct, and let's not forget the one thing that most people have left out.... It's against the law in Calif to tow ANYTHING over 55MPH! So WTF is this idiot saying, that you should be able to tow up the pass at 70MPH??? I hope he's going 70MPH next time the CHP passes him by...

NashvilleBound
08-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Senor Danger, We are frustrated with the people doing 50-55 in the lanes they shouldn't be. Not the courteous drivers in the slow lane.
I wouldn't pull out into the turn outs either. Take no offence, NB

burtandnancy
08-26-2002, 06:14 AM
Let me clear up the 70 MPH thing. When towing I usually like to pace the heavy trucks (on the flat ground mostly) and pass when they slow on the grades. Yes, that means a short burst to 70, but then back to pacing the 18 wheelers. We've all had the CHP pass us by if we're behaving on the interstates. If we all slowed to the legal 55 here in CAl, we'ed have the biggest back ups you've ever seen, especially 18 wheelers...

gnarley
08-26-2002, 08:02 AM
I'm here to mostly agree with burtandnancy, If your in the fast lanes towing you better be passing & when clear pull back into the right lane or lanes. If the standard towing lane is paved real bad & there is no traffic that you are blocking it is acceptable to tow in the fast lane but you must pull back into the slow lanes when anyone approaches you from the rear. I asked this question to a retired CHP who said they would accept this as long as not abused. BUT NEVER NEVER tow in the car pool lane. And if you must tow 80 MPH or more and don't have good tires, sway control and other safety measures & are involved in an accident GOD forgive whoever sues the crap out of you for being reckless and contributing to the accident! It's not just your life you’re risking, it's those who are with you and those you share the road with. They call them accidents because they were not PLANNED!

spectras only
08-26-2002, 09:01 AM
Burt, I have a question for you.What vehicle you're using to tow your new toy? Your 40 Hallett must weigh like a brickhouse.Are you having a vacuum brake system on your trailer?

hwyman
08-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Well, to point a few facts, a lot of people here seem to have one main underlying point; that is to use your head and show some common courtesy.
Everyone knows, or should know, how to drive when towing a trailer and what lanes to use and how drive appropriately. As far a speed limits go, well, there is varying ideas.
To ask Chaddyshack what a real law enforcement officer is, what is that, someone who answers barking dog calls? Chases kids around for being out after curfew? eek! As far as the saying goes, AAA with a gun, why is that? The real reason is because people are helped by the CHP when they break down on the roads/ involved in accidents.
i have personally been broke down and a Sheriff just drove on past looking at me. A while later a CHP officer came by to check on me and let me use his cell phone so i could get help (my cell phone died).
The fact is the CHP does not receive any money form the citations that are issued. They money is actually collected by the local courts and is used in the city or county where the cite was issued- used by the local p.d. or the Sheriff- thus the CHP is actually subsidizing these departments. CHP is only funded by a portion of the DMV fees one pays to register your vehicles.
(Check the flyer in the registration renewal envelope whey you get it).
As far as the laws for the lane use/speed limits go, they are actually set by your local assemblyman/state legislater, not the CHP. These limits are only set for state highway and freeways.
As of Jan. 01, the law is nowmore restrictive to towing over the 55 mph speed limit. If you get a cite for towing while going 70 mph or faster, it is actually a misdemeanor and is considered a serious traffic offense by the courts. A second offense will result in a suspension of your license. Not good, but then again, an overreaction by the state legislature. All of the truck drivers on this post know what i mean.
Again, it boils down to making a choice and being responsible for that choice if you get caught. But one has to remember, how many vehicles are actually on these roadways here in Ca., especially southern Ca. at any given time? There is only so much roadway and every year, more and more cars/trucks trying to use the same space. Ca. is the leader in the nation as far as the number of freeways and the amount of vehicles on them. This is due to our lifestyle and the lack of other means of transportation. (No other way to get around). But we all want to get where we want to go to without being injured or our equipment being damaged.
And since there are a lot of truck drivers on these boards, why are the local P.D.'s / Sheriff's Departments suddenly enforcing commercial laws? You guessed it, money. There are big fines in commercial violations and these departments get the revenue from the cites they write and it goes from the court to their department. Again, the CHP does not get a dime from the tickets they write. I'll bet not many people know that!
Since we are also talkig about traffic congestion, why does the P.D. /Sheriff (REAL Law enforcement) take 4-5 hours to clear the roadway from a two-vehicle injury crash? Must be some of that REAL LAW ENFORCEMENT investigation stuff! :rolleyes:

lakesmodified
08-26-2002, 09:08 AM
burtandnancy:
Let me clear up the 70 MPH thing. When towing I usually like to pace the heavy trucks (on the flat ground mostly) and pass when they slow on the grades. Yes, that means a short burst to 70, but then back to pacing the 18 wheelers. We've all had the CHP pass us by if we're behaving on the interstates. If we all slowed to the legal 55 here in CAl, we'ed have the biggest back ups you've ever seen, especially 18 wheelers...Burt, don't get me wrong, for I too have driven well past the 70's on my way to the River(before I moved to Memphis :( )What I was trying to say, is that the legal limit is 55, so I cannot agree with your statement that ALL trucks/vehicles towing boats should be able to do so at 70MPH. I for one owned one of those underpowered rigs(by choice, for I used to drive 140 miles per day to work and back)So when I bought my new Ford F250 4WD back then, it was way underpowered, so that atleast I would get half way decent mileage while driving to work. Many times, I would accelerate right up to about 80, so that by the time I reached the top of the pass, I would still be doing 45MPH... It sucked, but I had no choice.... Of course, I never drove the fast lane doing that..

H2Oaddict
08-26-2002, 10:14 AM
burtandnancy:
If you load your boat or delay me in any way with your tail in the water, you're going to hear some words you won't want your wife or kids to hear. I'm sure there are lots more comments and you young guys are welcome to take a shot at the old man...Hello I am new to these boards and it looks to be a great source of info and knowledge. I must however take issue with the above statment. I am very seasoned at launching and loading my boat, but every once in a great while Murphy's Law comes into play and when that happens I would suggest that you roll up your window turn the AC vent onto your face to help dissipate the heat and enjoy your stereo until I get Murphy off of my back. If you do this, " you're going to hear some words you won't want your wife or kids to hear ", you might get something started and not even know the whole story, so chill out and relax or get out and help your fellow boater thru their dillema. You never get a second chance at a first impression. I know there are some real non RA people out there but if you scream at them about it is that going to help as much a little mentoring on your part. Just my .02 was'nt much of a "shot at the old man" was it. :)
[ August 26, 2002, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: H2Oaddict ]

superdave013
08-26-2002, 10:44 AM
H2Oaddict:
burtandnancy:
If you load your boat or delay me in any way with your tail in the water, you're going to hear some words you won't want your wife or kids to hear. I'm sure there are lots more comments and you young guys are welcome to take a shot at the old man...Hello I am new to these boards and it looks to be a great source of info and knowledge. I must however take issue with the above statment. I am very seasoned at launching and loading my boat, but every once in a great while Murphy's Law comes into play and when that happens I would suggest that you roll up your window turn the AC vent onto your face to help dissipate the heat and enjoy your stereo until I get Murphy off of my back. If you do this, " you're going to hear some words you won't want your wife or kids to hear ", you might get something started and not even know the whole story, so chill out and relax or get out and help your fellow boater thru their dillema. You never get a second chance at a first impression. I know there are some real non RA people out there but if you scream at them about it is that going to help as much a little mentoring on your part. Just my .02 was'nt much of a "shot at the old man" was it. :) Well said, welcome to the forums.

burtandnancy
08-26-2002, 04:46 PM
WOW, what great information and insight here. What a great bunch of guys! Highwayman, the old fart learned something new from you today, thanx.
Spectrasonly, I'm looking for a short bed dually as we speek, Powerstroke, Duramax or Cummings. But do you know how hard it is to buy one of those between now and Thursday at 6 in the morning? I've been offered the loan of both a Ford and Chevy for the Labor Day holiday plus the following week for the 50 and 75 milers at Mead. But guess what, the new trailer has surge, hydraulic and air, but everyone says I need the new electric over disc package. It never ends...

Chaddyshack
08-26-2002, 05:38 PM
Ok Hwyman.... I'll answer up on the real law enforcement stuff. CHP was started by the Automobile Club of Southern California waaaaay back when, that is why they are called AAA with guns. Their mere presence was the inspirtion of the organization to assist stranded motorists and to make the roadways safer. This is still their primary job. As far as a Sheriffs and police officers going past you on the roadway, that's the way that all of the departments across the nation handle these. Our policy on that is that we don't stop due to stupid morons like Craig Peyer that killed that Kara Knott on the freeway. The less liability (and doing CHP's job) the better according to our superiors. Our deputies will notify us in dispatch about any stranded motorist and we immediatley call CHP for them to respond. As far as the CHP doesn't get money from it, your right. According to federal law there has to be a default agency for law enforcement and a default agency for traffic control. All sheriff's depts handle ALL law enforcement and CHP handles ALL traffic in county areas. Now, for us we have some incorporated cities that pay for our law enforcement and traffic services. As far as units taking hours on injury crashes, I can tell you that no traffic unit likes to spend any longer on the roadway than necessary to get the measurements and do the follow up. I encourage all of you to go on a ride along with both CHP and your local law enforcement agency. It is a real eye opener and you will find out that cops are just people to and common sense does prevail (not saying there isn't a few dicks out there!!). I can tell you that CHP is very instrumental in keeping the 55 mph speed limit in force.

Havasu_Jet_85
08-26-2002, 07:23 PM
I think its so funny watching everyone pulling out there boat, people getting pissed. I go down to site 6 when ever i go to Havasu and watch all the new boaters for shits and giggles!!

spectras only
08-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Burt, I'll try to call this fellow I know with the 38 Donzi.He tows it with the 3500 TD duramax dually,see what he says.The Donzi could be a bit heavier than the Hallett with a seemingly higher freeboard.I think he has the surge brake setup.I didn't see the vacuum setup on his trailer when I met him in Penticton over a week ago.He used to have a 32 spectra and it was time to step up to more creature comfort wink according to him .Post some pictures of your boat in the media center when you have a chance.
[ August 26, 2002, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

sandblasted
08-26-2002, 08:27 PM
Here's a few of my towing pet peeves...
1. Big rigs that won't allow you to merge into traffic from an onramp even though they could easily change lanes and maintain their speed.
2. The last 3 times coming back from Buena Vista I'm coming up the #3 lane on the grapevine at about 50 mph only to have some idiot in a motor home or truck pull out in front of me at 28mph so he can pass a big rig going 25mph...then we all go 28mph for the next 2 miles or so...that's fun...
3. Cars that merge into traffic at the bottom of the grapevine and only go 45-50mph which i soon catch up to because I'm going 60mph but can't change lanes because every other car next to me is going 70-75, except for the asshole in front of me..so now I get to go 50 mph up the grapevine until the trucks pull in front of me at 28 mph...(see above)
4. Anyone tailgating me, if i have to stop quick where in the hell do they think they are going to go? right into the back of my boat.
I'll add 1 thing to this, The CHP may not be out there to bust gangbangers and break up bar fights but they do have the 3rd highest felony arrests in California, after the LAPD and the L.A. sheriffs department...and since plenty of them have been shot and killed over the years I'd say it's a "real law enforcement job".
[ August 26, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: sandblasted ]

hwyman
08-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Actually, the CHP started as the enforcement part of the DMV. It then separated into its own department in 1929. As far as sandblasted said, that is true too. #3 in the state for felony arrests behind lapd and laso. Just shows what a gardenspot :rolleyes: LA really is. And all the felony arrests from a "TRAFFIC" agency.
Now i'm not putting down any law enforcement agency, as that could go on forever. Everyone has opinions and officers/deputies have pride in their departments. I'm just pointing out facts that most people don't know about, thinking the CHP only write tickets. One little known fact is
they are the only rescue agency for the ocean between Monterey and Ventura as the Coast Guard Helicopters don't cover that area.
But as Sandblasted also mentioned, i've been there on the grapevine with slow vehicles and sure enough, no courtesy when someone pulls out in front of you when you are towing and these idiots see that you can only go so fast, and they expect you to slow for them. The law says you are supposed to merge with freeway traffic at the same speed it is flowing.
The other issue, I can't afford a 40,000.00 pickup to tow my boat. It's enough just to pay for what i have and going up these steep hills at 45-50 mph is a lot better than 25-30.
The common arguement I see from everyone here is the lack of courtesy when towing and other people that are not towing just cut in front of you back and forth. Then when they get into an accident with you, they expect you to stop on a dime. Physically impossible. But as mentioned earlier, some officers cut it close, exactly as the law says, and some cut slack. That happens in every job, but it does not make the officer wrong because he/she goes by the letter of the law. I know i appreciate a break when i can get it, but then again, i know when i am doing something wrong, just taking a risk.
There have been to many times i've had my turn signal on for a mile or two in heavy traffic and people with absolutely not let you make a lane change. Again, lack of courtesy and knowledge.
All in all, i've experienced law enforcement in several different states, and i would have to say no matter what department in Ca. you have the fortune/misfortune of dealing with, they are more professional. Other states have left me scratching my head, with bubba and his cousin otis telling me i'm in their county now! eek!

GBLASER
08-27-2002, 08:04 AM
OK a couple of things to remember at the launch ramp.
1- It is called a LAUNCH RAMP for a reason. It's not called a "shallow spot to hold the boat while we wait for the driver".Get out of the way!!!
2- If it starts to get dark "SHUT OFF YOUR FRIGGIN HEADLIGHTS".
3- Yes PWC'S are still considered "TOWED VEHICLES" RIGHT 2 LANES YOU RETARDS.

69 Elim
08-27-2002, 08:13 AM
GBLASER:
1- It is called a LAUNCH RAMP for a reason. It's not called a "shallow spot to hold the boat while we wait for the driver".Get out of the way!!!If you have a flatbottom with a beautiful paint job, and the wife is holding the boat while you park the truck, this is an exception. Blown Flatbottoms have a horrible dock ettiquite as it is, can't expect a wife to handle it. sorry if it makes you wait an additional minute.

GBLASER
08-27-2002, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry, I still don't buy that. Move off to the side or something. Or maybe ROW to the dock. It is a bit much to expect everyone to wait in 110+ heat while somebody finds a parking spot that suits them.

gnarley
08-27-2002, 09:04 AM
GBLASER:
OK a couple of things to remember at the launch ramp.
1- It is called a LAUNCH RAMP for a reason. It's not called a "shallow spot to hold the boat while we wait for the driver".Get out of the way!!!
Might you clarify this? Some people consider the the dock at a ramp as part of the ramp & if you are on it are hogging it. Sometimes this just can't be helped, Just wait for the day you don't start or have to go it alone wink
Now lets get back to the topic, Towing Etiquitte not Ramp Etiquitte [/QUOTE]

69 Elim
08-27-2002, 09:08 AM
GBLASER:
I'm sorry, I still don't buy that. Move off to the side or something. Or maybe ROW to the dock. It is a bit much to expect everyone to wait in 110+ heat while somebody finds a parking spot that suits them.Were always considerate, and leave space for others. Can't use the dock as waves make the boat crash into it and cause scratches. Its paint - not gel coat.
Ok - now back to the topic....

Mohavekid
08-27-2002, 09:51 AM
One more thing on launch ramp etiquette, THE LAUNCH RAMP IS NOT A SWIMMING AREA!!!!!!.(I feel better now) A month or so ago I was at Katherine's landing on a Saturday morning trying to load up after a week of fun. I know, I know, busiest time an place to load up but stuff happens, long story. Anyway, on the ramp dock, there's this older Sleekccraft with a bunch of 20ish guys huddled around it, they can't get it started. I'm idling past the dock to my trailer and one of these IDIOTS dives off the dock not 5 feet in front of me. Fortunately I've got a jet and was able to stop before running him down, but it scared the crap out of me and my kids. Then when this fool comes up, he has the balls to look at me like I did something wrong.
I know it's hot out there and I know it sucks when you have boat trouble, but that's no excuse to shut off your brain and do something really stupid. Sorry for venting, now back to Towing Etiquette.

spectras only
08-27-2002, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 69 Elim: waves make the boat crash into it and cause scratches. Its paint - not gel coat. There are some older custom boats with no rubrail and such ,that requires a person to hold on while the trailer is parked.There's always a jerk who doesn't respect NO WAKE zones and makes boats rocking violently while tied up at the dock.I see this happening a lot with the PWC guys who lunch around here in Vancouver.The bastards don't even pay for the ramp use [they just lunch and park their trailers off the lot]and doing donughts showing off when there aren't any cops around].Ps; I DON'T mind PWC's used in a proper manner wink

nuboater
08-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Why don't we all just meet at the ramp and settle this like men....Fight!
My opinion....some of the older need to chill out.
Bottom line is let's work on being courteous !!!

Mohavekid
08-27-2002, 11:56 AM
it's not just the older people.
If everyone is courteous and is River Aware, things go better for everyone.

RiverDave2
08-27-2002, 11:57 AM
I would like to chip another 2 cents in here..
A little while back I went to put my boat in the water and the batteries were extremely low. It cranked a few times but not enough to "light off" before they went flat..
Well I have option #1 which is tow it all the way back to the house and charge them up.. Or wait for a minute or two and let them build up a "service charge" and give it another shot.
So I decide to wait. Another guy pulls down the launch beside me a few minutes into this program (granted I wasn't in his way as the launch ramp is 3-4 boats wide)..
I think some of you might find it interesting what the guy said to me.. (drum roll... )
"DO YOU NEED ANY HELP??? "
I think if ALOT OF YOU would stop being so concerned about someone possibly inconveniencing you, and start focussing more on having a good time and being R.A. then you would find that things would go alot smoother. What do you think is going to make the situation go faster? Yelling at someone, or offering a hand? Honestly?? Or is it just some way for you tiny peckered losers to get your rocks off? The scenario that makes me see red is the one where the guy is screaming at his wife becuase she's struggling with a trailer.. When in reality it's his damn fault for not spending enough time to teach her everything she needs to know.
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that, but I'll tell you what, for 90% of the ole timers pissin and moaning in here, I can say with confidence that I'm half your age and I can launch and retrieve ANYTHING better then most of you, and you don't see me getting pissed when you slow ole fockers with your walkers are taking forever and a day... LOL..
Ok now... that last part might cause me some grief.. LOL wink :D
RD
[ August 27, 2002, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: RiverDave2 ]

watergirl
08-27-2002, 12:19 PM
RiverDave2:
A little while back I went to put my boat in the water and the batteries were extremely low. It cranked a few times but not enough to "light off" before they went flat..
Well I have option #1 which is tow it all the way back to the house and charge them up.. Or wait for a minute or two and let them build up a "service charge" and give it another shot.
So I decide to wait. Another guy pulls down the launch beside me a few minutes into this program (granted I wasn't in his way as the launch ramp is 3-4 boats wide)..
I think some of you might find it interesting what the guy said to me.. (drum roll... )
I think if ALOT OF YOU would stop being so concerned about someone possibly inconveniencing you, and start focussing more on having a good time and being R.A. then you would find that things would go alot smoother. What do you think is going to make the situation go faster? Yelling at someone, or offering a hand? Honestly?? Or is it just some way for you tiny peckered losers to get your rocks off? The scenario that makes me see red is the one where the guy is screaming at his wife becuase she's struggling with a trailer.. When in reality it's his damn fault for not spending enough time to teach her everything she needs to know.
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that, but I'll tell you what, for 90% of the ole timers pissin and moaning in here, I can say with confidence that I'm half your age and I can launch and retrieve ANYTHING better then most of you, and you don't see me getting pissed when you slow ole fockers with your walkers are taking forever and a day... LOL..
RDAmen to that!

DogHouse
08-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Ready for this? I even helped a JETSKIER retrieve their skiis one day! Guy was damn near comatose in the passenger seat and his girlfriend couldn't back the trailer more than 20ft without jacknifing. I watched and snickered for a bit then went to help. I got to hop in the new Tahoe dripping wet on the nice leather seats and back that sucker in for them. I even got to make fun of the drunk boyfriend while I was at it!
A little patience and consideration helps in both directions and makes everyone's day a little better. Remember, this hobby is supposed to be fun!
-brian

Her454
08-27-2002, 12:27 PM
RiverDave2:
RDWell spoken RD! Im the first to loan my tools or offer help if a fellow boater is broke down on the ramp! :D

In2Deep
08-27-2002, 12:36 PM
Speaking of patience -- thanks to the Lavey 29 NuEra launching next to me on Saturday at Katherine's for not putting the rush on as I talking my wife off the ledge. Tricky cross-wind and about 25 boats milling around at the bottom oif the ramp made for a temporary nervous breakdown situation.
Wouldn't have been too cool for my big boat to bump your big boat. The extra 3 minutes you gave her helped.
Which leads to my $.02: It'd be really nice if folks would motor out from the ramp a bit further after launching. There's nothing left to see on land after that.

fear the turtle
08-27-2002, 01:22 PM
This is my first year so I've only been locally, (mostly saguarro) but I've never had a problem with others. At first my wife would always retrieve the truck and people have always been cool waiting or offering to back it up for her. Since then she's gotten comfortable driving the boat on the trailer and we are in and out quick.
But I have to admit I have been guilty of what RD described...I know, blast away, I fell like a heel.....Funny thing is, she has no problem at the ramp, but she gets nervous pulling back off the beach, guess she gets nervous its to shallow to lower the prop (the one downside of having a wife that thinks things are bigger then they appear wink god bless her). I've found that if you just explain the whole situation out before you start, things go a lot better then just telling them what to do as you go. (does that make sense?)

spectras only
08-27-2002, 01:48 PM
Dave, I think lunchramps with multiple lanes should have a designated "boatpool lane" ,where two or more people could only lunch.It only takes a minute for boat and truck driver to clear the lane ,so us "ole fockers" wouldn't be a pain in the a.... wink when lunching all alone.Maybe an R/C equipped truck would be a good idea :D .BTW ,you given up being a battlebot champion, or just put it behind during boating season?

H2Oaddict
08-27-2002, 02:17 PM
I don't know about the rest of you here on the forums but when I get a chance to help some one else I tend to feel a lot better than if I ignore a chance to help someone, or if I lose my cool over something someone else is having trouble with. I thought that was the boaters way to help your fellow boaters, having a problem or showing them a better way to do something. I believe that if more people tried to help rather than loose their cool you might see a decrease in the non RA types. I talked about Murphy's Law in my first post and if he is on mback and you start shouting at me I am just gonna smile at you and go about fixing my problem, cause I know even though I am having trouble at the moment your always gonna be an(and I am probably gonna catch hell for this)asshole. You know what goes around comes around.

rivercrazy
08-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Hey. Now wait a minute. If you would recharge your batteries after being the P.A. system at the sandbar, perhaps your batteries wouldn't be dead and would'nt need to inconvenience any of the hot shots at the launch ramp. J/K'd ya Dave. LMAO. :D :D :D
RiverDave2:
RD

Party Cat
08-27-2002, 02:34 PM
rivercrazy:
Hey. Now wait a minute. If you would recharge your batteries after being the P.A. system at the sandbar, perhaps your batteries wouldn't be dead and would'nt need to inconvenience any of the hot shots at the launch ramp. J/K'd ya Dave. LMAO. :D :D :D
He doesn't have to worry about dead batteries....his twin brother makes sure they're charged..... :D :D

Rexone
08-27-2002, 02:37 PM
RD, Mohavekid, Nuboater...Right ON. A little patience and courtesy will solve 90% of the ramp problems. A little chillin by those who are so worried about that extra 5 minutes would go a long way.

Party Cat
08-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave:
That occasion happened before "Oscar" started going to the river with me.. wink Besides it was when we first got there, I think I left them on the last time I left or something I can't remember.. wink
RDIs that "Oscar" as in "Madison" ?????
If so does that make you "Felix" :D :D
Ya know it kinda fits eek! eek!

gnarley
08-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Well I'm glad to see that none of us on this forum would be one to launch a boat with a group of say 5 or 10 then motor it off & then tie it up to the dock while the truck is left parked on the ramp for 15 minutes while they are all shooting the breeze & not paying attention to the waiting line or listening to someone honking their horn to find out who abandoned their vehicle on the ramp blocking someone else from launching.
None of us here would do that now would we wink

burtandnancy
08-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Well guys, we've beat this one to death with one final question to you law enforcement types: what is the law regarding the big cube vans such as Penske, Ryder, U-Hauls, etc. Since they only have two axles, are they allowed in any lane and allowed to go the maximum speed allowed autos?
To me, they have the same mentality as people who rent see-do's, they get no instruction and lack common sense. They seem to always be in the left lanes going up hill. (There I go again complaining about slow drivers in the left lane) Whats the law here?

dossangers
08-27-2002, 05:23 PM
3 cents worth on launching have your shit together teach your wifes how to drive the truck or boat or friends back in slide off warm up in channel no picnics at launch ramps or teaching sombody how to back aboat in put in ice chests so on get ready ramps! da lets move it and it dosnt take three lanes to launch 1 boat new job for chps give dip sh!!!!ts at launch ramps late

77charger
08-27-2002, 08:05 PM
launch ramp part
well the thing that annoys me here are the ones who bitch if their boat is 1/2 inch off and try to do it again then get out of the water then decide to dry and clean their boat there.i have seen dead bats,no starts,beginers,etc and here i give a lttle patience as long as they are trying to correct and not sitting around.
I myself have to launch solo alot and it kinda sucks but most times i have done this the lanes are uncrowded.

hwyman
08-28-2002, 05:39 AM
burtandnancy,
the cube vans/trucks with only two axles can use any lane and drive the limit 65-70, as long as they are not towing. Same with a two axle big rig that is not towing. wink but then again, some of those are rentals with people driving who have never been in a vehicle of that size, so be aware- they might sneak up on you :D

THOR
08-28-2002, 05:49 AM
Well,
I dont remember how this started,but I was out of town (not river, WORK)for a few days. In reading the original post to buy a new tow vehicle because mine is under powered. Forget it, I refuse to buy something new when mine is only 1 year old because I cant get up to 75 mph on the on-ramp. 1 friend of mine has the raw power to do that. All rest are slow like me.
My 2 cents.

gnarley
08-28-2002, 10:11 AM
RiverDave, What I posted happened in my area & what it showed was a complete lack of understanding, disregard & etiquette on the ramp. What I was trying to do was use some sarcasm since most of us have learned how to act on the ramp over time & with ever increasing experience & efficiency. I bet most of us have had a problem at some time in our past when launching so how can we expect EVERYONE to be as fast & competent as some of those who expect to see someone launched & gone in 2 minutes? The first time any of them have 1 problem they will be barking up another tree and feeling like a hypocrite, or they already are but forgot they learned the hard way or have had trouble before in their past.
What we need to do as a group of boaters who have experience & know better from reading & participating on these forums is have some tolerance & be helpful if you see someone struggling, share your knowledge in a nice way if at all possible and maybe next time they will launch like a pro. There will always be jerks around but most people are open to suggestion if treated with respect & act they way they do because they just don’t know any better; I was one of them once. If you see someone doing the wrong thing in the wrong area point it out to them & it will probably never happen again.
What I am pointing out is what I think is the worst kind of boater, RUDE. If any of us had a problem I think we all know better to at least move the tow rig or put the boat back on the trailer & move but not to block the lane, unless of course the tow rig now has a problem then at least open the hood so everyone knows & if I see that I might even ask if some help is needed wink

gnarley
08-28-2002, 12:03 PM
RD, what I said was "most of us have learned how to act on the ramp over time & with ever increasing experience & efficiency" with the key word being "Most" & being somewhat sarcastic again wink as there are always some hard heads, but that’s OK & I think we are in agreement. :D I did say "I think we all know better to at least move" & I meant it, especially the members or visitors who have read this thread and have now thought about it.
Can't we all just get along? This is supposed to be fun, Are we having fun yet?

mike37
08-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Question to you all
Launch ramp 4 lane
1 lane in
1 lane out
Lane in is full of truck waiting to launch or pickup
Dud pulls turns his truck backs in loads his boat out 1-min good job
Then stops and blocks the only lane out
After 10 min he is asked politely to move he is blocking the ramp he look to see 10 trucks lined up waiting for him
Go's back to wiping down hiss boat 10 more min pass he is asked politely to move again by a second person
No response
1 min later the 40 or so people he is holding up tell him move or we will roll your boat and truck of the road
Hiss wife starts yelling you ass holes need to be more patient ex.
He finally gets the hint and moves hiss boat to the parking lot after 25 min of blocking the ramp
What would you do?

NashvilleBound
08-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Something like: "If you don't move your boat out of the way I will move it for you!" Politely of course. This works for me every time. :D :D

RiverDave2
08-29-2002, 01:11 PM
mike37:
Question to you all
Launch ramp 4 lane
1 lane in
1 lane out
Lane in is full of truck waiting to launch or pickup
Dud pulls turns his truck backs in loads his boat out 1-min good job
Then stops and blocks the only lane out
After 10 min he is asked politely to move he is blocking the ramp he look to see 10 trucks lined up waiting for him
Go's back to wiping down hiss boat 10 more min pass he is asked politely to move again by a second person
No response
1 min later the 40 or so people he is holding up tell him move or we will roll your boat and truck of the road
Hiss wife starts yelling you ass holes need to be more patient ex.
He finally gets the hint and moves hiss boat to the parking lot after 25 min of blocking the ramp
What would you do?I'm not following as to why anyone would pick that particular spot to wipe down there boat. Something doesn't add up. I think I would kindly explain the situation to him. wink
RD

mike37
08-29-2002, 05:38 PM
riverdave
I think that he just dident care about the rest of us
his boat was on the trailer he was puting stuff away like he was at home in the driveway
I was the second one to ask him to move
expliand to him wat he was doing he dident seam to care

RiverDave2
08-29-2002, 05:44 PM
Well then whip his ass and call it a day.
RD

STROKER ACE
09-01-2002, 09:26 AM
mike37:
I think we all have a problem with ASS HOLES that think the road or the ramp is for there convenience screw the rest of us
But those of us with experience will always be patient or help a new boater or dad or mom out with the kidsIf your old lady can not back let her pratice at home

UtlGoa
09-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Nothing like writting someone a ticket for doing 85-90 while pulling a trailer. The thing that sucks for most people is sitting on the side of the road with the unit behind them, and all the cars / trucks that are doing the speed limit driving by honking. If you drive the speed limit you have nothing to worry about, you'll still get to where your going, and you'll make it there alive. SO SLOW DOWN????

Froggystyle
09-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Well, here is one for you.
I got into a rear-end accident last night towing my boat. For the first time in 12 hours coming back from Powell, I was doing 55 in the middle lane after merging onto the 15 south on Cajalco Road. A new model Mercedes four door midsize smoked around me on the outside of the three lane road, and while my wife was getting shit situated for the last leg of the trip, i.e. putting the dog in back and the like I was moving at a medium pace. Then, the traffic decided to do a brake-check in front of me and damn near stop. I reacted to the brakes about 200 yards or more ahead of me, and hit the brakes hard, cadence braking and the like. What I could never have expected was the 17 year old kid in the 2002 Mercedes to panic brake with 4 wheel ABS and essentially back into me. I have never seen a car brake so fast. His inexperience left a 100 yards ahead of him, and a steamrolling sport-ute behind him towing a large boat, but never checked his mirror.
The impact was minimal. My airbags didn't deploy, and although the front of my Durango is a mess, noone was hurt and with the exception of a trashed air conditioner condenser the car drove fine. No one was hurt. The kid, scared of his father's wrath called 911 and a CHP officer pulled over within seconds, after seeing the fender-bender from the other direction. No citation was written.
I know all about crumple zones and such, but I will tell you this... the Mercedes was THRASHED! We got a little bit of cosmetic damage to plastic, but his was a total wreck. We actually ended up driving another hour and a half home minus air conditioning.
We have a new Durango, with plenty of power and rear ABS brakes, big sway bars and a boat with brakes. I have been to the Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant schools for high performance driving and trailering vehicles for over 13 years. Nothing I could do would have stopped this from happening. The truck/trailer just could not slow down as fast as the Mercedes that just passed me. Pretty much nothing left to report.
On another note, the CHP officer was very professional, asked a few questions, verified the kids lisence, and then stopped traffic for us while we got back on the road. Super cool guy. If that was one of you, thank you. If it was someone you know... thank them.
We will see on Tuesday what the insurance companies will say about all of this. I hope it doesn't come out too poorly for me, as I am fully aware that in the event of a rear-end collision the rear-ender is inevitably at fault. We will see.
Squirts up!

Rexone
09-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear you're ok, that's what's important. :)

NashvilleBound
09-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Froggystyle: Its good nobody got hurt...thats all. Oh and thats not Kermit giving it to Snoopy is it??? The shame of it....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

09-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Froggy, Rear-enders such as yours can sometimes be beat if you can prove he changed lanes and took your braking "saftey zone." Just because you ran into the back of him does not mean you are at total fault 'case closed' Cop and the courts are aware of drivers trying to maintain safe distance from the guy in front just to have some doofus cut in front of you reducing your braking space to less than half. We have a interchange here in the bay area [I-580/I-680] that this was a regular occurance and alot of the accidents were reviewed and determined that the lane cutter to be at fault. May be worth looking into as I see the kid in the M/B suing you for neck and back injurys. :mad:
[ September 01, 2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: 058 ]

Froggystyle
09-01-2002, 03:38 PM
If that happens, I certainly will look into it, but regardless, it is what it is. Thanks for the info though.