PDA

View Full Version : Blythe to Martinez

stonehedge
05-14-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm new, so if this is a stupid question I'm sorry. I keep my trailer in Blythe and spend much of my time in the Blythe area. Many of my Glamis freinds are from SD and stay in Martinez. I was wondering how far it is from Blythe to Martinez, and how many gas stops there are, and approx. time to travel this distance (cruising speed)??? Any help in this would be great.

BBC502
05-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Stonehedge,
Once a year there is a run from Martinez/Fishers' landing to Blythe in Oct. It's called the reverse river run. The distance is approximately 60 miles. If you travel at 30-35 mph it will take about 2-2.5 hrs. Walter's camp is the only stop for gas that I know about (be sure and take lots of cash cause their prices are very high-last time I was there it was over $3.25 a gallon for premium). Walters is about half way. Between Walters and Picacho watch out for the sandbars, there are a lot of them. Good Luck!!

stonehedge
05-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Hey thank you so much, I've gone down pretty far, not sure how far, but its a great run. But that is some good info. Just a side note, one time I was just cruising down river and went under a bridge and was passing this area(CA side) of homes and the Gestapo was all over me. I wasn't going that fast, but they said it is a 5 mph area and I said OK, the signs were small but they were there. Lots of locals were partying and I guess if you stay to the east side you can go faster? Anyways, what is that place called, I think it was silly, but maybe they own that part of the river, or have major influence on the local coppers, maybe its just a great place to "fang" boaters? Easy PC with a area like that. Just wondering?

beached 1
05-14-2003, 02:36 PM
We made a trip from Mayflower to Martinez last summer. It was awesome. It was about 120 miles or so round trip.

SD MIKEY
05-19-2003, 10:24 PM
BBC502 good to meet you guys, Stonehedge was gonna come down this weekend but it looks far(60 miles) for a day run.

Rubths
05-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Come on down Stoney I will have as many sodas as you can drink waiting!
BBC502 Was nice to meet you Saterday and to see one nice ass Miller!
See you next weekend.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Hot_Boat_Happenings/Havasu_and_The_River/labor_day_11.JPG
[ May 20, 2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Rubths ]

stonehedge
05-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Christ you fags surf over here? Whats the world coming too? I'm in for a day trip, and so is cr, but the ladies? Who cares right? If my little one ends up stayin home, so will my better half, and then, well, I'm coming south! For sure. The entire Memorial weekend w/o the wife and kid, that should be illegal. She isn't coming out for the whole week of the 4th,(getting ready for Germany) That is gonna be a blast, I love my wife, I do. Really, no really. Not as much as my boat!

Boatcop
05-20-2003, 11:28 AM
The "No-Wake" area by the homes is called "Harvey's Fishing Hole". It's just north of the Farmer's Bridge, where the road from Blythe (Through Ripley) crosses over the River into Cibola.
Plan on about 3-4 hours from Blythe Marina to Fisher's Landing.
Gas is available at Mcintyre Park, Walter's Camp, and Fisher's Landing.

Rubths
05-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Alright brotha cant wait to party with you and snapcrack! Give mike or I a call to make arangments where to meet up.

stonehedge
05-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Boatcop, who patrols that stripe? And is there a little section on the far east side that you can go over 5 mph? Also, do you know if the Blythe area has a counter clockwise BS thing'y, you know like some lakes and river areas have? Like going south stay to the right, and going north stay to the right, or something like that. Just wondering. I had a Lauglin cop pull me over and told me it was a citable offense to travel north on the river and be on the left? Even though the water taxi's can do it? Not sure why they seem to be exempt?

Boatcop
05-20-2003, 06:00 PM
We, along with Blythe PD, Riverside County, Imperial County, and Yuma So, (In our respective areas) patrol that stretch. We have most of the River down there, from the Palo Verde Diversion Dam, down to Yuma Wash. (a few miles South of Picacho)
The "Counter Clockwise Rotation" is loosely enforced down there, due to the shifting channel, and numerous sandbars. If you're cruising on the wrong side, when there's mucho room on the "correct" side, you may get a talkin' to.
It's best to stay to the far right side of the channel, rather than the right side of the "River", down in that area. In most places it's the same thing. But there are areas where the channel cuts closer to one side or the other. Stay as far to the right, and proceed with caution.
It's not a "BS" thing. It's the standard Federal Inland Navigation rules. Boats meeting head on, shall turn to the right. A vessel traveling a narrow channel shall stay to the farthest side of the channel that lays on her starboard (right) as safely possible.
Can you imagine the bedlam if boats were allowed to go whichever way they choose? Kind of like the freeway with no center divider, lane lines, or standardized direction of travel.
No wake means no wake. PERIOD! It's only about 100 yards, so no big deal to back off for a few minutes.

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Whats the difference between the channel and the river? And what section of the VC is this "clockwise" iteam under? Or is it even in the VC? Maybe the Penal Code or some other place? If so where can I find this "citable" section.

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 06:25 AM
You made mention of sand bars, I assume its ok to avoid these even if you have to travel away from the "right"? Many parts of the river get narrow and it seems like everyone gets funneled. But I'm aware of the safety issue and nav. rules, but I still think some of the rules are BS, my own opionion, but I follow the rules anyways. Don't want to hear "press hard three copies" nor do I want a "talk'n to"..........thats an invitation and a major opening for all kinds of PC, not like you need it, but I'd rather avoid you folks whenever possible.

Boatcop
05-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Arizona Revised Statutes:
ARS 5-345.D Normal traffic on the waterways of this state shall be counterclockwise. Watercraft shall approach shoreline areas from the right and leave to the left as observed from a point on the water looking toward the shore. Watercraft leaving the shoreline area shall yield right-of-way to watercraft approaching the shoreline area, notwithstanding the provisions of subsection B of this section.
California Harbors and Navigation Code:
283. A steam vessel navigating a narrow channel shall, whenever it is safe and practicable, keep to that side of the fairway or mid-channel which lies on its starboard side, and a steam vessel when passing another in such a channel, shall always leave the other upon the port side.
(Steam vessel has the same meaning as Motorized Vessel)

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks, and both of those I assume are citable sections? Are they mis. or inf.'s, and what are the fines for violating them? I assume the river is both Ca and Az poaching grounds? If cited by Az a suspect would have to go to Az to dispute the cite? If so, is the AZ and the CA BOC the same? Can a Ca. cop cite a suspect on the Az.side if that person is on the shore and was not observed on the water? If so under what auth? Not a felony.

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 12:13 PM
is a petty offense, the same as an inf.?

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Found the Az. answer, christ I thought Ca. was strict, Az. is worse! What about the Ca. sec. had trouble finding that one.

BK
05-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Gas is available at Mcintyre Park, Walter's Camp, and Fisher's Landing. [/QB]Its been a few years since I made the trip up from Walters to McIntyre but just thought id mention at that time there was no gas docks on the water, only in the parking lot.

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 12:36 PM
I know rivira has a water dock and I think Walters does too, not sure about McCantiry or Fishers? Sorry about the spelling on the parks.

BBC502
05-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Nice meeting you, SD MIKEY and Rubths, I'm looking forward to along W/E coming up Friday thru Tuesday. Rubths are you parked at the lower Fisher's RV camp area? Thought I saw your boat covered up. If you are I'm about 5 or 6 spaces towards the store from you in a Gulfstream motorhome on the front row, Sp.4. I had a place on the hill for 23 yrs. and sold it 1st of the year-wanted to see other places. anyway swing by and we'll crack a brew...Bill

BBC502
05-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Stonehedge,
There are gas docks at both Fisher's and Martinez.

San Diego
05-21-2003, 03:36 PM
BBC502, What spot did you think Rubths is in? What did the boat/spot look like? I think Rubths has a place on the water, he has a dock I think.
I am not far from you myself.

Boatcop
05-21-2003, 04:31 PM
A petty Offense is classified as "Criminal", although there can be no jail time assigned to it, nor does it go on any "record" other than in our files and the court records.
Although if you blow it off, a warrant will be issued, and you CAN be jailed for that, with an additional charge of "Failure to Appear". That'll about triple the fine. If a warrant is issued for Failure to Appear, the courts will also contact a collection agency for the fine owed, and ding your credit record, too.
The max fine for most petty offenses is $300 bucks, but they're usually somewhat lower than that for boating offenses.
There is no Arizona or California side of the River. Both states have concurrant jurisdiction on all areas of the River. California enforces their laws, and we enforce ours.

Rubths
05-21-2003, 09:35 PM
BBC502 that was my trailer and boat, I saw your couch when I was pulling my boat out. That brew offer sounds great and we can talk about you making my Miller an open bow :D
SanDiego I dont own that house or doc, thats a good friend of ours that lets SDMikey and I keep our boats there. We did alot of work at that house last summer in 110+dg heat to earn that right wink
I will be out thursday evening, see ya on the water guys wink

bohica
05-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Hey you guys have a fun and safe weekend on the water. No river for me this weekend burningm Wife won't deal with all the craziness on holiday weekends. Drink a few river sodas for me. :D

Rubths
05-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Sorry you cant make it out this weekend Bohica but its an easier life when the wife is kept happy right wink
I hear that you throw one hell of a party. Sorry Tabi and I could not make it maybe next time or you can come down to one of the parties we throw each summer. Got slip & Slid? Im sure your heard about last years slip&slide eek!
[ May 22, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Rubths ]

stonehedge
05-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info boatcop. I understand the "river" part, what about the land issue, if in fact neither state has an issue, when does the river stop and the land, i.e. state start? Shore, 1000 feet inland, a mile? Kinda vauge? Can't find it anywhere? Water, sure, clear has heck, but land? Hmm, kinda weird.

stonehedge
05-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Trying to figure out when the "river" stops? Maybe when the land starts? I also had trouble locating a section in either state requiring the operator of a vessal to have on their person a valid I.D.?

HotHallet
05-22-2003, 10:04 AM
I will be staying at Mayflower memorial weekend. I have a 19 Hallet bubble deck white with candy red flake/o/t headers. Hope to see some of you on the water.

San Diego
05-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Rubths, I guess I will not answer other peoples questions from now on! Where's your trailer? Are you in the front row? I am about 4 or 5 from the end. Not making it this weekend, skipping the crowd. Have fun, be safe.

Boatcop
05-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Regarding the "Land" issues. Courts (for prosecution purposes) have jurisdiction on the entire river. For example, Arizona Courts can hear cases on violations anywhere on the River, up to the historical high water mark on the adjoining state's shoreline.
Officers have the same jurisdiction for enforcement of laws, PLUS a distance of 25 air miles into the adjoining state. If, for example, a violator flees onto land, we can still pursue and take the person into custody. We cannot bring them back into our state, but can still issue a ticket, prosecute them for the violations in California Courts, or issue a warrant, and have them detained in California until extradition proceedings can be commenced.
There are no state statutes (In AZ or CA) requiring the operator of a boat to produce identification upon demand.
However, since boating violations are criminal in nature, there must be a mechanism to positively ID the violator, in order to issue a complaint. (Ticket) If the violator doesn't provide that positive, verifiable ID, the person must be detained (jail) until the ID is made.
Therefore, it's in the boaters best interest to carry and provide ID.