PDA

View Full Version : 3 Killed, 1 Injured in Parker boating hit & run.

C-Ya
09-22-2003, 06:26 AM
This is in the Monday morning Arizona Republic:
Three youths were killed and another was critically injured in a hit-and-run boating collision during a racing event near Parker, authorities said.
The crash occurred Friday along the Rio Lindo Shores during an unsanctioned power boat contest and exhibition, said Sgt. Alan Nelson of the La Paz County Sherrif's office.
Witnesses described a grisley collision that quickly sank a 20 foot jet boat carrying the youths, all of whom lived in California.
None of the victims was wearing a life vest, although the impact of the collosion may have rendered flotation devices useless, nelson said. He did not know how fast the boats were traveling.
Killed in the crash wre boat operator Jonathan Herbert, 21, and his sister, Jaquel Herbert, 18, both of Laguna Hills, Calif. Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo also died. There autopsies are scheduled for this week, Nelson said.
Josh Rogers who was also aboard the boat, remained in critical condition Sunday night after being airlifted to St. Josephs Hospital in Phoenix. His home town has not been released, Nelson said.
The operator of the other boat, Grier Rush, 62, fled the scene and returned to his home in California before turning himself in Sunday, Nelson said.
Authorities are holding Rush at the La Paz County Jail in $1 million bail ordered on a felony warrant charging him with leaving the scene of a fatal boat collision.
Rush, owner of Rush Performance Boats in California, will face a judge in Parker this morning for an initial court appearance.
Rush has no known prior criminal record or boating violations, Nelson said, adding that he did not believe that drugs or alchohol played a role in the crash.
Two other men abord Rush's boat - 52 year old Don Kramer of Norco, Calif., and 44 Year old Steve Shoop of Minnesota were not injured in the wreck.
None of the men stopped to help the Victims, but Kramer and Shoop were not arrested because the law does not require them to render aid, Nelson said.
Jaquel Herbert and Rollins wre picked up by witnesses immediatly after the crash and rushed to the hospital were they were pronounced dead. Jonathan Herbert was recovered by divers about 3 hours later.
The weekend event was not approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. Many of the boats were being operated illeagally and Violating noise ordinances, Nelson said. He said his deputies did not issue any citations.

jackpunx
09-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Wow.. That really sucks.. The families of those kids must be really feeling it right now.. Very sad.. My condolences go out to the families.
[ September 22, 2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: jackpunx ]

Charley
09-22-2003, 09:18 AM
wow....heavy shit here...My condolences also to the families

funkcity
09-22-2003, 09:33 AM
This is tragic!
It was just the week before Labor Day that my family and I had a wonderful time on the river while staying at Bluewater Resort. It really makes you think and be thankful.
My sincere condolences to the families.
Be careful out there gang and easy on the booze!
I have been a designated driver more than once and the gang always came back to play another day.
3 From O.C. Die in Boat Collision on Colorado River
By Mike Anton
Times Staff Writer
September 21, 2003
Three people from Orange County were killed and a fourth person was hospitalized in intensive care after a high-speed boat collision on the Colorado River.
Arizona authorities late Saturday had not released the names of the victims in the crash, which occurred about 6:30 p.m. Friday on a stretch of the river known as Parker Strip, 35 miles south of Lake Havasu.
"We're still trying to piece together what happened," said Capt. Rich Gilbank of the Buckskin Fire Department. "It's the worst accident we've had here in a year."
The La Paz County Sheriff's Department is investigating the crash but released no information Saturday.
Gilbank said the dead were from Orange County. Two women he believed were 19 died at the scene. A 21-year-old man — the brother of one of the women — was found by Fire Department divers about an hour after the accident.
The fourth person, a male, was taken to a Phoenix hospital.
Gilbank said the crash happened as a regatta was heading north on the crowded river.
"One of them did an abrupt right turn and crashed almost head on" into the victims' boat, he said.
"It split it in half. It hit the right side and rode over the top People were saying they were going 55 mph, but it could have been more than that."
The victims' boat — a picklefork, jet-driven craft common to the Colorado River — sank. He said its passengers had been staying at the Red Rock campground in Arizona.
[ September 22, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: funkcity ]

Coughlin's Law
09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
From the OC Register...
Coughlin
Boating deaths jolt O.C. neighborhood
By NATALYA SHULYAKOVSKAYA
The Orange County Register
LAGUNA HILLS – They were a tight family and called themselves The Four Herberts.
Almost every weekend, the family went either to the desert or to the river together.
Sunday afternoon, their driveway was full of stunned teenagers, friends of the son and the daughter, their eyes puffy, their cigarettes trembling.
Jonathan Herbert, 21, and his 18-year- old sister, Jacquel, were killed Friday night in a hit-and-run power boat accident on the Colorado River near Parker, Ariz., when another speedboat plunged into the side of Herbert's boat and went over it. Their friend Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo also was killed. Another passenger, Josh Rogers, 18, of Anaheim, was critically injured and remained in a coma at St. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix on Sunday afternoon.
The accident happened at about 6:30 p.m. near the shore on the Arizona side of the river in a popular boating spot known as Parker Strip, about 35 miles south of Lake Havasu.
The kids, their parents, Wayne and Jana Herbert, and several friends went to the Red Rock Resort to hang out at a V-drive powerboat event, a regular gathering of speedboat enthusiasts.
The two boats were not racing each other at the time, said Sgt. Alan Nelson of the La Paz County Sheriff's Department, who is investigating the accident. Their speeds at the time of the accident are not known, Nelson said.
The news of the accident ran quickly through the Laguna Hills neighborhood where the Herberts have lived since it was built 16 years ago. Friends gathered in the driveway, their cell phones constantly ringing. Others drove by in their trucks, asking for any details. The first rumor said seven kids were hurt, because the Herberts went to Arizona with a large crew of friends.
They always did. Jacquel, who had just graduated from Laguna Hills High School, loved to spend time with friends. She loved the ocean and the beach and planned to join the U.S. Navy, said Lacey Thompson, a friend. Friends knew her as "J Star." Even her license plate spelled out the nickname.
"She always talked in those code words (ones that only her closest friends understood) ... she always laughed," said Fabi Calborn, another friend.
After the 9-11 terrorist attacks, Jacquel brought all her friends together for a memorial service by the ocean.
The attack touched Jonathan's spirit, too. He got his grandfather's old U.S. flag and attached it to his truck. He rode around the county with the large flag flapping in the wind. When his mother worried about the family antique, he just said, "What is a better use for a flag?!"
Jonathan, called "Little Jon" because of his short stature, had run a car-detailing business since he was 16. He started by working on cars in his neighborhood. He loved his dirt motorcycle, "The Moto," and was about to open a new car company with a friend.
"He could sell you on anything. He loved his Moto, his truck, his money. And friends and family," said friend Bobby Legate. "He was always like, 'What's up, dude? Let's go riding!'"
Those who knew him closely saw another, kid-like, side of "Little Jon." His boyish bravado softened when he was at home with his family.
Jana Herbert is "all about her kids," neighbor Nancy Winter said. "She always talked about them, whenever you run into her."
Wayne Herbert, a car salesman with a Mercedes-Benz dealership, rode motorcycles with his son.
The neighbors said the family was focused on itself, spending weekends together.
The Herberts, as well as the parents of Ashley Rollins, were at the Arizona resort with their children.
"It is tough," said Nelson, who has been staying in touch with Wayne Herbert since the investigation began.
Rogers' grandparents, whom he lived with, flew out to Phoenix to be with him in the hospital.
The two young women and Rogers were recovered immediately after the accident. The two women were rushed to La Paz Regional Hospital, where they were pronounced dead. Rogers was airlifted to Phoenix. The body of Jonathan Herbert was found by the Buckskin Fire Department divers about 9 p.m. that night, Nelson said.
The operator of the other boat, Grier Rush, 62, of Maywood, faces felony charges for leaving the scene of a fatal boat collision. He turned himself in to authorities Sunday. He is in jail on $1 million bond, Nelson said.
Rush's two passengers, Don Kramer, 53, of Norco, and Steve Shoop, 44, of Minnesota, were not injured. Shoop also fled from the shore but returned three hours later to talk to police. Kramer stayed and waited for authorities.
Arizona law does not penalize passengers who leave accident scenes.
"This is probably one of the worst accidents I have seen in 27 years," Nelson said.

GottaJet
09-22-2003, 10:40 AM
My condolences to all involved.. frown

gigamurph
09-22-2003, 10:39 PM
Again; our prayers go out to the families involved. May God bless and keep you strong in this dire time. Godspeed. frown

Dr. Eagle
09-25-2003, 07:55 PM
How unbelievably sad. My entire family and I offer our humble condolences and wish comfort upon the victim's family and friends.

ultimate1
09-26-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't write on here very often however being the father of 2 I can't imagin what life will be like after a tradgy like that. All I can do is offer my deepest regret on behalf of me and my family :( . ultimate1 (Stacy)

eliminatedsprinter
09-26-2003, 04:11 PM
I write here a lot and for once I'm at a loss for words. I've thought all week trying to come up with something useful to say and I can't think of anything. Just imagining the pain of this loss hurts. To say those involved have my sympathy is a huge understatement and I have not even been lucky enough to have met the people involved.