PDA

View Full Version : CASTAIC LAKE CLOSING

Uplink
03-30-2003, 11:55 AM
I live about a mile from this lake, here is a copy of the flyer I got in the mail Friday: :mad:
CASTAIC LAKE CLOSING!!!
The LA County Director of Parks and Recreation has announced his intention to balance his budget shortfall with the closure of the Castaic Lake Recreation Area by July 1st.
HELP KEEP CASTAIC LAKE OPEN!
Don't allow the closure of one of our nation's premier fishing venues. North LA County is a rapidly growing area in need of Parks & Recreation facilities...the Castaic Lake Recreation Area provides a multitude of activities and events enjoyed by tens of thousands each year.
Please contact your LA County Board of Supervisors:
Mike Antonovich FithDistrict@bos.co.la.ca.us
Don Knabe don@bos.co.la.ca.us
Zev Yaroslavsky zev@bos.co.la.ca.us
Yvonne Brathwaite Burke SecondDistrict@bos.co.la.ca.us
Gloria Molina molina@bos.co.la.ca.us
Contact your other elected officials:
State Assemblyman George Runner 661-259-4526
State Senator William Pete Knight 661-294-8184
Congressman Buck McKeon 661-254-2111
Plese call your elected officials today & help keep Castaic Lake Open for all to enjoy!

Kilrtoy
03-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Do you think this has anything to do with the HTM deal..

Hallett19
03-30-2003, 01:11 PM
you have got to be kidding me.....

Kilrtoy
03-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Called Castaic,
They said the county is trying to get the state to take it over. Right now just a rumor, But I would hate for that to be true, Could you imagine the line at Pyramid. You would have to camp for two days starting friday to get on sunday. :mad:

H2on22
03-30-2003, 04:57 PM
I can't believe something like this would even be considered :confused: That is the only lake relatively close to most San Fernando residents. Take that away and I can't fathom going to pyramid all summer long. If there is a pre-written letter anyone has or knows of, we should post it and get everyone here to forward to the right people. That type of grassroots campaign should stir up someone to question this BS idea. Man, it seems like we don't have a say in much that goes around her these days.

DickDanger
03-30-2003, 08:37 PM
How in the hell can you just "close a lake?" What would the future of Castaic be then? I agree, although I HATE going to Castaic, that less water for everyone means longer lines at the other lakes. I also agree that we need this petition circulated on here as well. -DD Out

Uplink
03-30-2003, 10:14 PM
I couldn't beleive it either. I don't know who authored the flyer but they went around and put them in all the mail boxes around here. I am definately going to make some emails to those supervisors.
I agree about Pyramid, its has become more and more of a zoo as the years go on. Last time I was there those guys on SeaDoo boats were going top speed zigzagging in all directions, I almost collided with one of them. Not worth waiting in those long lines.
I hope this Castaic thing is is just a rumer, but it looked pretty serious when I saw they had a date already.
Will let you all know if I find out anything more.
Happy Boating, <Mark>

Uplink
04-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Here's some recent stories on this...
The Signal (http://www.the-signal.com/Archive/ViewStory.asp?StoryID=2251)
The Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E20949%257E1333000,00.html)

Rexone
04-18-2003, 11:22 PM
If you read the stories the county is ditching many many things and programs, Castiac being only one small part (not that it's a small deal to those who use it). This is recent news to me too. I wonder if all the counties troubles stem from Mr Davis wasting all the state money. Just speculating, I have no idea actually.

LUVNLIFE
04-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Uplink thanks for the contact links. I better get busy. Hey you said you are a mile from the lake.Where about are you located? I'm four miles away up off of Hillcrest Prkwy. and The Old Rd.

JustMVG
04-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I posted this the other day,
Unless there is a change and The Friends of Castaic Lake lawsuit does not work/help, the last day for CASTAIC to be open will be JUNE 30th 2003.
It is imperitive that we as boaters , Hot Boaters Fisherman, and gulp, lake lice get together to pressure the government to do something about this, it's bad enough that we cannot use the new Diamond Valley Lake for boating, no body contact rule(bunch of bs if you ask me). We are losing our lakes slowly but surely the forces that be are gaining control of our playgrounds.
I hate to even think what the lines at B.V. and Pyramid are going to look like if Castaic is closed. Can you imagine a "wristband" system like is used for concert ticket purchases to get onto Pyramid, We have to take action to keep this lake open, if only to show that we truly do care about our lakes and the recreation area's.
My long winded .2 cents worth.
Mike VG

28Sport Cat
04-19-2003, 10:31 AM
sounds odd to be closing castiac when they just started to build their facility for their boating and water safety classes humm put money into the park and then close it smells fishey :cool:

Uplink
04-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey you said you are a mile from the lake.Where about are you located? I'm four miles away up off of Hillcrest Prkwy.
Luvnlife, I about 2 miles north of you, check your PM, Mark

NashvilleBound
04-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Here is the reply I received back on information about Lake Castaic closure.
The information you have received is a rumor. Currently the situation is as follows:
As a result of the uncertain budgetary constraints, two state-owned recreation areas, currently operated by the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation , may be returned to the California Department of Parks and Recreation.
The State of California is proposing to curtail certain funds that have been passed through to Los Angeles County as part of its budget. This could result in a County budget shortfall in excess of $100 million. County departments have been directed to submit budgets that take into account this possible shortfall. The Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation must absorb a shortfall of nearly $4 million.
At present County parks expends nearly $3.1 million operating Castaic Lake State Recreation Area and Placerita Canyon State Park for the State at no cost. Rather than close County owned facilities, the Chief Administrative Office will propose to the Board of Supervisors with its April 15, 2003 -2004 Budget submission, that County parks end its operating agreement with State Parks effective June 30, 2003. If the Board of Supervisors adopted that proposal the operation of these two parks would be the responsibility of the State beginning July 1st.
There have been some discussions between the County and State to provide for an orderly transfer to management operations should funding sources not be identified to avoid this budget shortfall. If the County ends its operations June 30th it will be up to the State to determine staffing levels, operating hours and other public services to be provided beginning July. Service levels may change, but there is an expectation that both parks will remain open to the public.
Mika Yamamoto, Regional Park Superintendent III Castaic Lake State Recreation Area
32132 Castaic Lake Drive
Castaic, CA 91384
Phone: (661) 257-4050 extension 221
Fax: (661) 257-3759
Email Address: myamamot@co.la.ca.us
Creating Community through People, Parks and Programs

JustMVG
04-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Nashville, thanks for this update , but one word in that response bugs me , EXPECTATION, isn't that government speak for WE really don't know what the F&%$K is going to happen and we are rolling the dice. Our state is screwed on funding, you know that little deficit thing that Pay Davis got us into. See ya Mike VG.
Hope your doing well Nash.

NashvilleBound
04-29-2003, 05:11 PM
I agree with all the double talk from our 'elected officials'. I figure if their mouth is moving they are lying. Simple as that. Today was one of my dates with the powers to be and everything is working out nicely. Kinda nervous there for awhile.... Thanks, Jeff

JustMVG
04-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Glad to hear that all is working out for ya Jeff. Hope to see ya soon. Mike VG

Rexone
04-29-2003, 08:39 PM
The SCMA is actively involved in this issue. No one wants to see the lake closed. We have a board meeting next week and I'm sure it will be discussed. I'll post any significant new info on the subject as I learn it.

JustMVG
04-29-2003, 09:10 PM
I wonder if we the Hot Boat Community were to get together and sign a petition, or in some way show the county how much money would be lost to the area and the economic impact the whole castaic area would suffer if this would help or hinder.
MVG

dankirk
04-30-2003, 06:01 AM
So, if Castaic Lake is turned into a State Park, would the rules change? I know at other State lakes, such as Folsom Lake and Milerton Lake, alcohol is allowed on boats and swimming is allowed. This could be great news for all of us!