PDA

View Full Version : My First Boat Need help!

HappyBoater
12-04-2002, 11:31 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've watched the boards for a few weeks now. I just purchased my very first boat and now I don't know what I should do first. I did shop around for something that needed a little work so I could customize it to my liking and since Winter is here, I have some time to work with before summer. Anyways, I know I want to get new interior but I think that should be last. I also want to get some new gauges and maybe a new wheel. I need to clean the motor (outside) but the guy I bought the boat from told me he rebuilt it a little over a year ago and only put a few hours on it. I was thinking of adding headers but that's something I can do much later. The paint looks pretty good, there is about a dozen or so cracks. I think I'll just buff it out this weekend. The motor is a Ford motor and I was told this boat runs about 80-85 mph and if I get a better prop, I could see 90 with no problem. I don't know what kind of drive this is, or what hull type it is, but the guy I bought it from told me it used to be an ex race boat back in it's day. Anyways, sorry for going on so long. Any help/info about the boat/motor and what mods I should do would be great. Thanks
HappyBoater
[ December 04, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: HappyBoater ]

HappyBoater
12-04-2002, 11:42 PM
Here are some photos... I also want to either get the trailer refurbished, or buy a new one. Any suggestions on new trailers or a company who fixes them would be great. Thanks
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie3.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie4.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie5.JPG
HappyBoater
let's try this again....again
[ December 04, 2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: HappyBoater ]

HappyBoater
12-04-2002, 11:44 PM
Damn, how do you make those photos work?
Riverdave, I don't know the make that's why I posted here to see if anyone can tell me and maybe give me the number of the MFG so I can get some parts.

HappyBoater
12-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Ah, thanks! What did you do to make it work and can you fix the other ones?

HappyBoater
12-04-2002, 11:48 PM
It worked! Thanks Riverdave. Do you know anything about these boats? What about the drive or motor? What types of things do I need to do to get it all ready for summer?
HappyBoater
[ December 04, 2002, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: HappyBoater ]

RiverToysJas
12-05-2002, 12:28 AM
WOW!
Um, so...... someone told you "85 or 90" ??? Was that MPH??? If so, I suggest you take that person to court, ASAP! wink Although, there's no real weight there, and it does have a prop..... :rolleyes:
Seriously, I'm glad you're happy with your boat and I think there is some potential there. What's up with that, was that boat always an I/O? Strange little set up there.
RTJas :D
[ December 05, 2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

superdave013
12-05-2002, 02:34 AM
I would start by shaping that alum plate to match the outdrive housing. I.E. getting rig of those sharp corners up on top. You can do it with a sawsall and file or router.
Looks like you have quite a project there. A friend had a little jet boat hull that had an OMC 800 with a bad ass small block chevy. It was a lot faster then everyone would have thought. It didn't run 80 but did run in the upper 70's.

JetBoatRich
12-05-2002, 04:35 AM
TLC yuk
[ December 05, 2002, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

superV
12-05-2002, 06:45 AM
Dude what a project you have there! How much did you pay? I hope it was not more than a $1000 or so. It looks like it was a hack job of some sort.
Not trying to burst your bubble just telling it like it is. The drive is an OMC 1st generation. Only good up to about 300hp. Which that small block is most likly putting out now. I may be worng here but i think thats what it is. I have a nice 24p prop for ya if needed. You should look under the boat to see if there is any signs of repairs to hull that might show how the boat was orig. set up. I do not think it was an I/O to start with. Keep us posted, its things like this that makes this such a great place to go to for info, and to share ideas! Good Luck...

HavasuDreamin'
12-05-2002, 08:45 AM
Looks like someone went to the Riverliver school of rope tying! :p
Oh and SuperV, that looks like a Volvo 270 Outdrive, not an OMC. It will probably take more than 300hp, but they were never very fast drive units!
[ December 05, 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

cyclone
12-05-2002, 09:32 AM
what does the registration or pink slip ID the hull as? If it's a post 1971 boat, the transom will have the hull ID stamped into it, although it might be buried underneath the paint job. Looks like a good, fun project to work on over the winter. good luck!

Hustler
12-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Happy Boater, Did you really give up money for that thing? I would see if the guy you bought it from will give you your money back and go find another project worth putting your money into. Sorry to be so rude but someone had to break the bad news to you.

SPECTRABRENT
12-05-2002, 10:08 AM
I have seen that boat parked on San Fernando Rd. in Newhall. I thought it was abanded and left for the trashman. I would agree with Hustler, TAKE IT BACK!
Sorry,
Brent

JetBoatRich
12-05-2002, 10:31 AM
My guess is that you will change your name to unhappy boater cry once you sink a ton of money into that boat. eek!

Havasu Hangin'
12-05-2002, 11:02 AM
That looks like a Volvo 270 (or 280) outdrive...there is no trim on that outdrive (just a small lift motor)...don't use it for trim, or bad things will happen...
Once the drive is lowered, there is a reverse lockout that engages...make sure it's working properly, or the drive will flap up when you put it in reverse.
A little known fact is that Volvo had the patent on that drive...once the patent ran out, Merc introduced the Bravo drive the next year (same basic design)...
If it is a Volvo drive, don't shift over 1,000 RPMs (it tends to blow out the upper cap housing), and you'll never break that beast.
Looks like a heck of a project...
[ December 05, 2002, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

totenhosen
12-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Good luck with your project! I probably would ahve donated it to some organization and written it off for like $4k.

ACCEPTENCE
12-05-2002, 11:15 AM
HappyBoater Dude, That is one EXTREME boat!!!!

THOR
12-05-2002, 11:21 AM
This is getting pretty fuggin' funny.

superdave013
12-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Here is a little insperation for you. This boat was built buy a friend. It was one that everyone boo hooed because it had an OMC800 drive on it. It was pretty rough when he started. It did turn out really nice a passed most of the people that gave it the thumbs down. To bad the interior got all baked when it sat for a few years. Yes, this small block chevy with an old OMC ran really well.
Sure, you boat won't ever be like a new DCB but it can be a cool boat that is not like everyone elses. Don't let other get you down because you choose to go a different path.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Image001.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/1Image002.JPG

HappyBoater
12-05-2002, 12:52 PM
WOW, thanks for all the responses. I knew this boat was going to be a little work and that is why I came here to seek some information. Some of you think I shouldn't have bought this boat? Why? I need to know now before I get too involved with it. The guy I bought it from told me he had 2 other people looking at it so that is why I bought it without driving in it. I thought it was one of those deals you just have to make before it's too late. He wanted 3400 bucks for it but I talked him down to 3100. So I think we both made out ok.
superdave013, thanks for the idea for cutting the edges off the splash guard, I could see where that could hurt someone climbing into the boat. Do you think I should just round the corners? Also, that red boat you posted is exactly what I'm looking to turn my boat into give some time and money. Thanks for the photos, it gives me something to look forward too.
According the guy I bought it from, this motor was rebuilt last year and only has 10 hours on it. He said he runs real strong and has a lot of racing parts inside. He told me the reason the boat cost was a little high was because of the motor. It just needs to be cleaned with some engine cleaner which I'm going to get this weekend from Kragen. Is there any particular brand I should get?
Hustler & SPECTRABRENT, why should I take the boat back? You don't have to be mean about it and besides, once you see it in person it's not that bad at all.
Havasu Hangin', thanks for your help with what drive it is. Maybe once I get a new battery and fill the tanks up gas you would want to meet me at the lake for some test runs and you can show me what to do and not to do with the drive. What do you say? Probably next weekend because I want to clean her up some more and really make the motor shine.
So, does anyone know what headers would work best and where I can get a chrome prop for it? I really want the headers for the sound and I've seen fast looking boats usually have a chrome prop on the drive so I want one of those too.
Thanks again for the posts and all the help. Maybe I will meet some of you guys at Havasu.
HappyBoater!

HavasuDreamin'
12-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Well, I am not usually one for negative criticism, but I think you paid about double what the boat is actually worth. :( Good Luck though and have fun! :cool:

Hustler
12-05-2002, 01:06 PM
Happy Boater, Are you really that stupid or is it the fact that you were probably droped on your head as a child? you paid $3100 for that pile? Dude I have bridge in Havasu I will sell for cheap, you can even make it a toll bridge and make money on it. Dont worry about the city I already got all the approval you need, just go ahead and build the toll booth's.
I have another idea for you, make sure you get insurance on the boat, take it out and SINK IT!!!

ROZ
12-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Hustler:
Happy Boater, Are you really that stupid or is it the fact that you were probably droped on your head as a child? you paid $3100 for that pile? Dude I have bridge in Havasu I will sell for cheap, you can even make it a toll bridge and make money on it. Dont worry about the city I already got all the approval you need, just go ahead and build the toll booth's.
I have another idea for you, make sure you get insurance on the boat, take it out and SINK IT!!!jawdrop

Oldsquirt
12-05-2002, 01:09 PM
I keep checking my calendar to see if it is April 1st. eek!

Steamin' Rice
12-05-2002, 01:19 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
I keep checking my calendar to see if it is April 1st. eek! I was thinking the exact same thing!!! :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-05-2002, 01:23 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
I keep checking my calendar to see if it is April 1st. eek! Where's jetboatguru?

superV
12-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Hustler:
I have another idea for you, make sure you get insurance on the boat, take it out and SINK IT!!!Dame that was harsh! i have to say i was shocked when i read how much he paid. jawdrop I hope he does not look in the classifieds. And he fell for the old "well i have two more people looking at right now" line. wink
By the way i have a ss prop for that drive!
I would not have paid that much when pigfly

SPECTRABRENT
12-05-2002, 01:31 PM
If its the one parked on San Fernando Rd. in Newhall, I have seen it?
Brent
[ December 05, 2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: SPECTRABRENT ]

Slick
12-05-2002, 01:32 PM
The question about what type of engine cleaner and chrome prop raised my eyebrow.
This dude can't be for real. If you are, I apologize because someone really took you for a ride.
Slick

superV
12-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Happy Boater I just wanted to say welcome. And keep up the positive outlook. Dont take all this to heart, even with all the negtive shit said we will all help you as much as we can! Good Luck You will need it!

Froggystyle
12-05-2002, 01:33 PM
I am definitely not known on these forums as inflamatory... and so I want this to be taken the right way.
If you have the ability to get your money back, do it. The boat is at the very least a handful of money waiting to be lost, and at the most it is a dangerous lesson in mis-engineering.
That hull was not designed for that drive. In addition, no number of "racing parts" inside the motor would make that boat worth more than $1500 to ANYONE because you would have to go to all the work of removing it from that boat to re-sell the motor hopefully. The trailer is no beauty, and minus the interior and with the carved up transom, the hull is worth around $250 - $500 max.
With the $4000 you are looking to spend to get the thing borderline seaworthy and the $3100 you are already out, you can buy one hell of a used boat right now. $7100 will get you something with a brand new motor, new interior and safe.
Run, don't walk back to the guy who sold it to you, or his waiting three buddies who want it. You will thank us later.... trust me.
What can $6000 get you today guys? I can think of four outstanding boats right now.
Sorry to break it to you, I hate to see people unhappy.

Hustler
12-05-2002, 01:38 PM
Brent that is the same boat. I drove by it this afternoon.
Happy Boater, sorry if I'm being a little harsh, I have been a little over worked lately, but seriuosly I hope this a bad joke for your sake.

superV
12-05-2002, 01:49 PM
HappyBoater:
I thought it was one of those deals you just have to make before it's too late. He wanted 3400 bucks for it but I talked him down to 3100. So I think we both made out ok.
HappyBoater!Are you sure he did not say $34 and you said ill give ya $3100 thinking he was meaning hundred and not dollars... argue

78Eliminator
12-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Some of you guys are being a little rough on this guy. I know that honesty is the best policy, but sheesh! Maybe just candy coat it just a little. That or spit on it before you stick it in.
Well, you paid too much for the boat. You got taken advantage of because you didn't do enough research before you bought. I kind of did too and that's why I'm writing to you. He told you he had some other bites on the boat so you would buy before you went and talked to anybody (who would have rightly talked you out of it). Hustler (among others) is being a bit harsh, but I have to agree with him wholeheartedly. Try to take it back. You could get a real runner for three grand. I don't want to talk you out of a project, but I paid 8K for a runner and have dumped at least 3K into it. See what I mean? Hustler did the same thing. He even told me that he stepped into the boat and his foot went through the floor. You don't want to put that much money for somehting that rough. That is a LOT of work. We've all been there. Get something that has a more solid base from which you can build.
If not, just gut that thing and take it to havasu barney and do a ground up. Make it a jet boat. But 3k was too much for that thing.
Paint: 3000
Outdrive or jet: 3000ish
Motor: 3000-35,000 and up
Interior: 3000
Labor: 4000
Ouch!
[ December 05, 2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

1stepcloser
12-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Uhh, I'm gonna go with the "joke" thought here.
I was thinking that maybe the guy had a few bucks and alot of ambition, hell that was the case with my first truck...but I paid $300.00 for it, and it ran for years. That boat is a pile.
This guy is uh, not for real. :rolleyes:

Schiada76
12-05-2002, 02:04 PM
DON'T TAKE IT BACK!
I'll give you 3,200.00! :D
If you really bought that, all the guys on this board should go with you and KICK the guys ASS that sold it to you. If you didn't you're f'n funny. :D

rivercrazy
12-05-2002, 02:06 PM
You really need to put those horns back on. Why did ya take em off anyway????? :D
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Hangin':
[qb]More inspiration...
Before:
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/hhtugboat.jpg
[ December 05, 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

DansBlown73Nordic
12-05-2002, 02:56 PM
I won't sugar coat this....If you paid $3100 for that pile of Junk???? You must be smoking Crack....If you don't smoke Crack you better start. That boat wouldn't go 85-90 over a cliff. jawdrop
I hope this is a Joke!!!!!! I would not walk but run back to the guy you bought it from. Tell him your Mom and Dad are really pist off. argue You need your money back. idea2

Havasu Hangin'
12-05-2002, 02:58 PM
rivercrazy:
You really need to put those horns back on. Why did ya take em off anyway?You're right...all tugboats should have a good airhorn...

DansBlown73Nordic
12-05-2002, 02:58 PM
After taking a closer look I think it was a deal. I see in picture #1 a spare prop. That makes up for the rest....... :D :rolleyes: wink

hack job
12-05-2002, 03:16 PM
superV:
. It looks like it was a hack job of some sort.
...hey i dont like this comment! burningm
a little too close to home! :p

Slick
12-05-2002, 03:49 PM
Havasu Hangin':
rivercrazy:
You really need to put those horns back on. Why did ya take em off anyway?You're right...all tugboats should have a good airhorn...HH, I can't believe your wife has let you dump as much money as you have in the old Tugboat. Not that it isn't worth it, but that boat has undergone a major transformation. You've turned the looks of that boat from a turd to a rose. Nice job.

Jrocket
12-05-2002, 04:13 PM
hack job:
superV:
. It looks like it was a hack job of some sort.
...hey i dont like this comment! burningm
a little too close to home! :p LMAO.....That was a good one! :p

Jordy
12-05-2002, 04:16 PM
Get your money back and I'll give you a Schiada that is 10X the boat for $3000. Just needs some TLC and short block work. You'd be money ahead at any rate.
I'm really hoping this is a joke, because if it isn't I feel really bad for the Happy Boater.

ROZ
12-05-2002, 04:21 PM
idea2 Does HappyBoater = Chet? Afterall, he went with a jet hydro ... Or maybe it his cousin :p :D

Jordy
Thanks for the plug RD. :D

Jrocket
For some reason I just cant seem to buy this one.Theres to many fake people popping up around here lately.But if Im wrong and I have been before...all I can say is you got boned.Flat out screwed!!!Where were you when I was selling MY boat.I could of retired off of you.Now dont be dumb and go get your money back!!!Grab some of your best hitters and repo your cash.
Im still calling this one as B.S though. :p

Jeremy
12-05-2002, 04:39 PM
You guy's have all been had. This has to be someone we all know that is ****ing with us because no one could possibly be this stupid. That boat is the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. And I have seen some steaming piles before.
[ December 05, 2002, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy ]

MJ19
12-05-2002, 04:45 PM
I was just thinking of the pimp daddy shiada for $3000...WAY BETTER DEAL!!! I feel terrible for you if you honestly paid that much for that boat :( Go with RD and get your $ back...I too thought you got it for $500 or less.
If Jordy finds out someone is willing to pay $3100 for that...he may raise the pimp mobile back up to $4995 :rolleyes: and then I'll never get him down to $1500 wink :p :D

24ROD
12-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Dude my fist boat was pretty rough. But this is in a league of its own. I hope for your sake your not married. argue devil

MJ19
12-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Im still calling this one as B.S though. :p The secrets will come out when the IP's come back. I too see a lot of fakers lately! eek!

DansBlown73Nordic
12-05-2002, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hack job:
[QB][QUOTE]Originally posted by superV:
[qb] . It looks like it was a hack job of some sort.
I can see how it hit close to home!!!! eek!

1stepcloser
12-05-2002, 05:10 PM
I again, am calling this out as a fake. All the photos are of the transom disaster. I believe someone, from here no doubt, took the pics of the boat, probably because it's so unbelievable, and then figured to create a new user and play the "Happy new Boater" routine. Look at my great purchase!! I only paid $3100.00 for this gem! Blah-Blah-Blah.
Please.
I aint buyin it.

DansBlown73Nordic
12-05-2002, 05:18 PM
I agree it must be Bull Shit. Nobody could be that STUPID!!!!!!!! eek!

miller19j
12-05-2002, 05:24 PM
It may very well be fake.
But if it is not we should help this guy!
Happy Boater,
I think that you got taken advantage of. I would do your best to get your money back. I think that Jordy’s Schiada would be a much better deal for you. I hope it all works out.

DansBlown73Nordic
12-05-2002, 05:28 PM
This is where the boat should be.... http://www.gifs.net/animate/dozer.gifThe Land-Fill....... eek!

HBjet
12-05-2002, 05:43 PM
HB"splash police"jet here and I sure hope this thread is a fake because I can tell you that is no Ex Race Boat. Maybe a race to the dump!
If this is real, I guess you can try to get your money back or just part out the thing to try to get as much as possible. I would sell the motor and the drive and then the hull with trailer.
HBjet

Wicked1
12-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Well its kinda hard to say congrats..if it helps any ill buy the trailer off u?

24ROD
12-05-2002, 06:05 PM
Dans66Stevens:
This is where the boat should be.... http://www.gifs.net/animate/dozer.gifThe Land-Fill....... eek! Dans66, I will gladly load it for him :cool:

missboatnam1
12-05-2002, 06:33 PM
nb, REALLY, if you need any help getting out of this, you have all of us here to back you up!!!
i may not be the fastest draw in town, but i know you got spanked on this one, i was looking for a boat when i was a single gal, and honestly, i found 10 times better boats for about the same price!!.....dont fell stupid to talk, we all are here to help you, serioulsy we are here!!!...... jawdrop

ACCEPTENCE
12-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Are you people kidding me??? Hook, Line & Sinker!!!
I gotta say it's funny though...

JetBoatRich
12-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Jeremy:
You guy's have all been had. This has to be someone we all know that is ****ing with us because no one could possibly be this stupid. That boat is the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. And I have seen some steaming piles before.LMAO
pigfly

SPECTRABRENT
12-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Tonite on my way home, I stopped to take a closer look at this boat, its 100, no 1000 times worse than the pictures, boy this guy really got humped.
The only thing that will make this boat look any better is a gallon of gas and blow torch.
Shit, Stevie Wonder could have picked out a better looking boat.
Sorry,
Brent
[ December 05, 2002, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: SPECTRABRENT ]

missboatnam1
12-05-2002, 09:15 PM
i have to belive this is a joke!!!! ok, i gotta feeeling who it is but ill keep it ZIPPED till i know for sure!! devil

BADAXE
12-05-2002, 10:03 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
I keep checking my calendar to see if it is April 1st. eek! I think it's April 1st on the planet Mars.
Sorry but I'm not buying this story. Anyone stupid enough to buy that boat for any price could not be smart enough to operate a computer.

Froggystyle
12-05-2002, 10:45 PM
I think I got had...
Ah well, I hope it is a joke.

HappyBoater
12-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Man, I feel like a big loser...I guess.
Now I don't know what to do and I just don't understand what is so bad about this boat. I mean the boat will float and with a battery and gas it should run. So whats the deal? That's better then not boating at all right? Remember, I'm not going to leave it this way, I'm going to clean it up and make it look really nice. Ok, maybe I paid to much, but what am I going to do now? Do I ask the guy for my money back, what if he tells me sorry? Shit, this sucks. Well, I'm going to have my cousin look at it this weekend, he's been boating before. If he tells me I got a bad deal, then I'll get in touch with the guy I bought it from. If he won't buy it back, then I'm just going to sell it for what I can or sell the motor and drive, then maybe just junk the hull and trailer if no one will buy them. I don't know anymore, I thought smaller older boats where hot boats and that's what I wanted.
Well, I'm going to sleep, I hope you guys stop making fun of my first boat. I'm only 20 and I thought this board would be happy for me buying my first boat at such a young age. I guess not.
Good Night!

Jordy
12-05-2002, 11:09 PM
OK, this thread is starting to really suck. I sincerely hope it's a joke, cause I really feel bad for the Happy Boater if it's not. Now is the time to come clean if it's all in fun.

missboatnam1
12-05-2002, 11:15 PM
PUT A STOP PAYMENT ON THE CHECK!!!!! NOW, NOW, NOW

Havasu Hangin'
12-06-2002, 07:20 AM
Slick:
HH, I can't believe your wife has let you dump as much money as you have in the old Tugboat...Slick...thanks for the compliment (I think).
Actually, the HH Tugboat was a beater that we all had fun with for many years...she wasn't much to look at, but she fired up everytime I turned the key.
As for the transformation, I feel the money was second to the time involved...how do you put a price on your own time? I never really meant to transform her...it just kinda evolved. I would tackle a big project every winter, and justify it by saying (to myself), "hey...I can't get a new 23' boat for a couple thousand dollars...so why not do it?"
I think you might know what I'm talking about...

MJ19
12-06-2002, 07:24 AM
Havasu Hangin':
Slick:
HH, I can't believe your wife has let you dump as much money as you have in the old Tugboat...Slick...thanks for the compliment (I think).
Actually, the HH Tugboat was a beater that we all had fun with for many years...she wasn't much to look at, but she fired up everytime I turned the key.
As for the transformation, I feel the money was second to the time involved...how do you put a price on your own time? I never really meant to transform her...it just kinda evolved. I would tackle a big project every winter, and justify it by saying (to myself), "hey...I can't get a new 23' boat for a couple thousand dollars...so why not do it?"
I think you might know what I'm talking about...This "Wifey" is all for Miller updating and improving the boat each winter...men need their 'projects' and one that benefits both parties is awesome!!! :D I like riding in a smooth clean boat...he likes playing with the parts...

Blown 472
12-06-2002, 07:28 AM
MJ19:
Havasu Hangin':
Slick:
I think you might know what I'm talking about...This "Wifey" is all for Miller updating and improving the boat each winter...men need their 'projects' and one that benefits both parties is awesome!!! :D I like riding in a smooth clean boat...he likes playing with the parts...she said "parts"

Seadog
12-06-2002, 07:42 AM
When I was a teen (ancient history), my best friend bought the worst junk car on earth. He paid too much and we spent many a hour making things work. In the process of keeping the thing running, we learn a lot about mechanics and making choices.
If this is for real, Happy Boater should take the offers to help get his money back. If that does not fly, then I'm sure that many of the members here would help with advice on making it work better. :)
If this is a farce, someone needs to get a sense of humor. burningm

disco_charger
12-06-2002, 07:43 AM
OK, I think I found a new basket case project, which means the Charger is in the barn where I need to put the project. So it's got to go. I don't think I need to mention that this fine piece is in fact the boat that tied for first place for "Best Vintage Boat" at the Classic Boat Beach bash.
1978 Charger 19'
454 Chevy
850 DP Holley
Eddlebrock Performer C 396 manifold
Large oval heads
Oil Cooler
Dominator pump, Berkley long droop
A impellor Ramp, loader grate
Good interior
Auto Meter Gauges
Tandem Axel Trailer with Baby Moons
Clean and runs strong consistently
$5800 OBO
Email me.
or call me @ 909-875-1463
This boat doesn't need anything, so buy it and use it for years, no other investment. Plus when you own this boat, everyone will know who you are. When you go to the river, you will be flagged down often by the people of these boards and given free beer! :cool:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Lagoon.JPG
--------------------
Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown

Jordy
12-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Blown 472:
she said "parts"She also said "smooth clean" too. Did you miss that? :D

THOR
12-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Happy,
I personally love the splash-guard. That must have been the selling point because you are fuggin' blind. cry

Froggystyle
12-06-2002, 09:24 AM
HappyBoater:
Well, I'm going to sleep, I hope you guys stop making fun of my first boat. I'm only 20 and I thought this board would be happy for me buying my first boat at such a young age. I guess not.
Good Night!We won't stop. I don't know if you noticed, but we make fun of really nice boats in here! If it has a prop, the jetters poke fun, if a jet, the proppers etc... The dilemma here is that we have had a joke or two played on us before. If this is a joke, none of us want's egg on our face. If it is not a joke, we are both infuriated at the person who lied to you and sold you a chunk of shit, and sorry that this has to be your entrance to the hot boating world.
It's not a matter of "could it be cool". Of course it can. A little spackle... some napalm and it will be right as rain. Joking aside, you are looking down the barrel of 10K just to get a non-eyesore. The transom is just flat out hooptie, and I would roll down a window to make fun of someone towing that POS. If you can't tell that the gimble being 6" higher than the transom is out of place, you have some quick growing up to do.
My advice is this. Find someone on the boards who lives near you and is offering to help. Make it someone with some more boating experience than yourself and take their advice. With enough beer, anyone on here will mentor you towards success. A lot of very smart people, who have been around the block a time or two have told you to return it. I would start there. Then, look at a boat like the Disco Charger, which is turn-key, fast, fun and safe. This is a much better first boat, for a limited amount more money.
Drop me an e-mail if you want. I'll come up there and get your money back with you.
Another word of advice... if he will give you any portion of the money back, i.e. $2500 instead of your $3100 take it. Sue him for the rest for false advertising and inaccurate claims. California is a buyer beware state, but the threat of court will probably square this scumbag away.
All else fails, like I said... I'll go with you. I can be... persuasive, at times. :D
Don't take this the wrong way dude. If we told you "Yeah, bang up job! Looks great! Have fun!" we would be doing you a disservice.
God I hope this is a joke....

Shmoolie
12-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Well... I've been watching this thread for a couple of days hoping that I would see a post from someone laughing about how they suckered everyone in.
I'm still hoping to see that post.
HappyBoater,
If you really bought that boat, please listen to the advice you are getting. The people on this board have a lot of experience with boats and want to help you.
I'm sure all of us have made bad purchases when we were young. There are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage of someone with limited experience.
Put your pride aside and except offers for help. You need to get your money back ASAP or part that thing out to try to recoup some of your cash.
Once you have money to spend be assured that the people here will help you find a great first boat.

Jordy
12-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Like Froggy said, if you have a little more money and want a turn-key boat, look at the Disco Charger. If you are at your max in the $3000 range and want a project, I have a Disco Pimp Schiada that needs some TLC and a little motor work but would make a hell of a first boat. It was mine. I'd be willing to work out something for delivery even.
Just tell me this is all a joke. I feel progressivly worse as time goes on with this thread.

miller19j
12-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Well if this is a joke than I will look a little naive but I would rather have that than be a jerk to some poor kid that got taken advantage of.
Happy Boater,
You have gotten good advice from the members of this board. Take them up on it! Get a few of them together and go get your money back. Then allow them to help you pick a suitable boat for you. There are many people here that will take you under their wing and help you learn the ropes. Where do you live? If you are close to me I would be happy to go with you.
If this is a joke call me stupid, gullible, whatever but I would rather be called that than an asshole.
[ December 06, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

78Eliminator
12-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Froggy said a "Safe Boat". Yeah, they don't call me "Burninator" for nothin'! You might end up with permanent scars on your person if you buy a class a piece of shit like that. Ask me how I know. Junk that thing and pick something up from one of the few that are offering you NICE boats. I mean, Jordy is even offering to deliver the damn thing to you! TAKE IT BACK NOW. NOT TOMORROW, NOT IN AN HOUR, NOW!!!!!!! We are calling your boat a piece of shit, not to offend you, but to make damn sure you take it back. So do it! Please!

1stepcloser
12-06-2002, 10:20 AM
SPECTRABRENT:
Tonite on my way home, I stopped to take a closer look at this boat, its 100, no 1000 times worse than the pictures, boy this guy really got humped.
BrentYou see, this adds to the falseness of this post.
If Mr "Happy Boater" bought this "diamond" Why is it still sittin out on the street?
It should be in the garage/yard of it's proud new owner.
That is unless Brent knows this fellow and dropped by his pad.
If this is the reality of some poor fool, then I really do owe an apology, (and I will certainly give it) and I will offer any assistance in either retuning the "boat" or (gasp) making it a lake worthy (albeit somewhat "interesting" shall we say?) hot rod.
I just cant believe this is true though. :mad:
[ December 06, 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Hermosa
12-06-2002, 10:34 AM
SPECTRABRENT:
The only thing that will make this boat look any better is a gallon of gas and blow torch.
Shit, Stevie Wonder could have picked out a better looking boat.
Hey, it he bought the boat, why would it still be sitting out there?? Something isn't right...
Sorry,
Brent

ROZ
12-06-2002, 10:54 AM
SpectraBrent,
Where did you see the boat? Did this guy contact you?

SPECTRABRENT
12-06-2002, 11:05 AM
No, I dont know this guy, but the boat is sitting on San Fernando Rd. (close to the 14 fwy) in Newhall. Its been there for sometime. I thought it might be abanded (it sure ought to be).
Brent

OC-PARTYCAT
12-06-2002, 11:06 AM
If you really bought that thing, Im sorry. Live and learn bro...that thing is a total piece of shit. I wouldnt take that thing for free. Take everyones advice. Call the seller and tell him he gave you false information and you will sue his ass if he doesnt give you your money back. I would even offer him $500 to take it back. What is his name and phone #? I know some hard hittin Attorney that will call him for you as a favor.
PS... Does anyone know where I can find a chrome prop??

Oldsquirt
12-06-2002, 11:15 AM
I still say someone is sitting at their desk laughing their ass off over the number of people who are taking this seriously!
Let's review.
First post, long and vague to set the "I don't know what I have" tone.
Second post, "tried" to post pics. Had to edit. Did so with help from RD. Didn't have any trouble uploading them to Media Center, though. Trying to show he/she is a "newbie".
Third post, thanked each and every one of you who had offered advice. Even got ALL the names spelled exactly right. No one ever does that!
Fourth post. Oh no! You mean its not a great boat?
Even threw in a reference to Hot Boats being "smaller older boats". Anybody remember that controversy?
Come on people, don't you feel that gentle tugging at your legs? One of our own is having some fun here. eek! :D

HBjet
12-06-2002, 11:21 AM
OLDSQUIRT:
I still say someone is sitting at their desk laughing their ass off over the number of people who are taking this seriously!
Let's review.
First post, long and vague to set the "I don't know what I have" tone.
Second post, "tried" to post pics. Had to edit. Did so with help from RD. Didn't have any trouble uploading them to Media Center, though. Trying to show he/she is a "newbie".
Third post, thanked each and every one of you who had offered advice. Even got ALL the names spelled exactly right. No one ever does that!
Fourth post. Oh no! You mean its not a great boat?
Even threw in a reference to Hot Boats being "smaller older boats". Anybody remember that controversy?
Come on people, don't you feel that gentle tugging at your legs? One of our own is having some fun here. eek! :D Well, that is pretty damn good I must say. Good catch there OS. Ok, if it is real, then this guy has some very bad luck, but if it isn't and it is someone playing a joke, who the hell is it? I have an idea, but I'm still not sure. Maybe I should call them.
HBjet

Havasu Hangin'
12-06-2002, 11:28 AM
HBjet:
...but if it isn't and it is someone playing a joke, who the hell is it? I have an idea...Well I gotta admit it's original...all the time I've been here, I've never seen anyone take a picture of an abandoned boat and go trolling...
I like it! Where's "RiverStud" when you need him?

jetaddict
12-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Shit for $1500.00 I will get out the old jacket in the closet and fly to you and get your money back!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoever sold that to you is a piece of SHIT. But you're not to bright either. Send me a plane ticket.

Oldsquirt
12-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Havasu Hangin':
Well I gotta admit it's original...all the time I've been here, I've never seen anyone take a picture of an abandoned boat and go trolling...[/b]
Perhaps our "fisherman" first saw the "bait" and realized how perfect it would be.....

Havasu Hangin'
12-06-2002, 11:47 AM
OLDSQUIRT:
Perhaps our "fisherman" first saw the "bait" and realized how perfect it would be.....Agreed...next we need to figure out which fisherman has been to the Valley...I did notice he named the picture "bad_flattie"...
Where's jetboatguru?
[ December 06, 2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

AZKC
12-06-2002, 11:49 AM
jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
Thats some funny sh!!t and I hope it is a joke thing. We could park that next to the boat hot tub.
Jordy, You need to raise the $$$ on Disco Green if he paid that for his hell, its worth an easy $10000.00 Like daddy allways told me there's an ass for every seat...
KC

BBTAHITI
12-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Happy boater,
I'll help you out......I'll buy the engine in it.
BBT

Powerquestboy
12-06-2002, 12:14 PM
I was hoping I could get some help too! I just my first hot boat, it needs a TLC but the guy I bought it from said I will have no problem seeing 90 MPH. The guy wanted 8,000 but I talked him down to 7,999.98
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Boat_12.JPG

HavasuDreamin'
12-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Check out the Sad Boater thread right below this one. I think this is a joke! :mad:

Hal
12-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Not me! I think its a joke also.
http://www.uselessgraphics.com/mutley-ani.gif
[ December 06, 2002, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Hustler
12-06-2002, 01:03 PM
I drove by there this afternoon and the boat had been moved from where I have seen it park the last week. after work today I am going try and see if I find what house it is parked at now and see if I can find this Happy Boater guy, or at least the real owner of this boat if it's not Happy Boater.
This should be interesting, I'm going to go knock on some strangers door and ask them if they are Happy Boater and then introduce myself as Hustler.....ohh boy this should be good!! anyone want o go woth me as back up?

ROZ
12-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Hustler:
I drove by there this afternoon and the boat had been moved from where I have seen it park the last week. after work today I am going try and see if I find what house it is parked at now and see if I can find this Happy Boater guy, or at least the real owner of this boat if it's not Happy Boater.
This should be interesting, I'm going to go knock on some strangers door and ask them if they are Happy Boater and then introduce myself as Hustler.....ohh boy this should be good!! anyone want o go woth me as back up?Well it was pretty easy finding you:
ROZ, " I'm looking for a guy with an ugly dog." FuFU, "That's my Hustler!"
:D
idea2 Get CC to go with ya, he'll do anything! :D
[ December 06, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Hermosa
12-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Hustler, it looks like whomever took the photos probably drives the blue Ford truck parked in front of the boat, and from the photo taken of the boat, one of the photos shows a human shadow, the photographer looks skinny, or has a small head from what I can tell. Anyhow, that's my two cents....

Slick
12-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Doesn't Havasu Barney have a couple of Fords?

Rexone
12-07-2002, 02:30 AM
You guys been had big time on this one I think... :D LMAO And no it ain't me... although I wish I'd have thought of it. :D
[ December 07, 2002, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Froggystyle
12-09-2002, 12:16 AM
This is BS if we got had... :mad:

THOR
12-09-2002, 07:18 AM
LMMFAO!!

Jrocket
12-09-2002, 11:22 AM
From what I was told,this post is real.The guy is for real and he did buy the boat.The story is real.Atleast from what Ive been told.
Hustler do you have anything you want to say? :D

HappyBoater
12-09-2002, 11:03 PM
Man, you guys really crack me up! Don't you all have something better to do then just post whether or not I'm real? Man, maybe your all just jealous of my boat because it is one of a kind and you all wish (well, maybe not all of you) wish that you got in on the deal before me. To Bad!
HappyBoater

HappyBoater
12-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Froggystyle:
This is BS if we got had... :mad: Why? If anything you could be helping another new boater watching the boards.

RiverToysJas
12-09-2002, 11:08 PM
HappyBoater:
Man, you guys really crack me up! Don't you all have something better to do then just post whether or not I'm real? Man, maybe your all just jealous of my boat because it is one of a kind and you all wish (well, maybe not all of you) wish that you got in on the deal before me. To Bad!
HappyBoaterWell I look forward to seeing you at "Run What'cha Brung". You'll be spanking most of us in that 80+mph, one of a kind Hot Boat that I wish I had found first!!! :rolleyes:
RTJas :D
[ December 09, 2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

NEW 2 RIVER
12-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Well he wont be beating me.I will be there in my 1962 v-drive tri hull that I stole last week for a cool $5500.00
Im thinking of converting it to a jet.

Hermosa
12-10-2002, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HappyBoater:
[QB]Man, you guys really crack me up! Don't you all have something better to do then just post whether or not I'm real? Man, maybe your all just jealous of my boat because it is one of a kind and you all wish (well, maybe not all of you) wish that you got in on the deal before me. To Bad!
I think you are right, we should all have something better to do, but your boat is like a bad traffic accident, you just have to stop and say " what happened here". I would love to see photos of other stuff you own, could be very interesting. Hey, I just thought of a name for your new boat, how aboout "ABORTION"... : )

THOR
12-10-2002, 06:46 AM
Hustler,
Did you find the boat? Who had your back when you went up to the door? :p

Hermosa
12-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Hey, if you did name this boat, where would you put the name.... on the plate holding the outdrive on? That might be a good use of space, that might have been what the guy was thinking when he manufactured that big plate.... or maybe turn signals could be mounted there!!! LOL!!
Sorry, I find it hard to leave this topic alone... I'm going to be down that way on Saturday, I'm going to bring my camera incase I run across this "special" reader ride boat.

Jordy
12-11-2002, 10:41 PM
Have we determined if this is a joke or the real deal for sure and certain?
Jordy :D

v-drive
12-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Happyboater,I did the same thing you did not so many years ago. I bought with my enthusiasm.
It started with pieces falling off of the trailer.
I fixed that problem and then noticed a puddle of oil in the bilge.I cleaned the bilgeto see where
the oil was coming from and couldn't. I used
the boat that summer using oil and cleaning the bilge. In the winter we pulled the engine and
found a crack in the weld of the pan. I welded it
and when we were dropping the engine back in it
wouldn't line up. the idiot before had forced it
down on a nub on the jet so we had to work around that and I can't begin to tell you all of the other things we found wrong. To make a long story
short I cut my losses, pulled the engine dumped
the boat. When my wife and I saw your pictures
we were sorry for you because that boat is by far worse than the one we bought. Oh yeah we spent $3500 on ours. Good luck. :( V-drive

Hermosa
12-16-2002, 12:34 PM
I was all over that area this past weekend and did not see that boat, I had the camera ready... would make a great Christmas card photo I think...

HavasuDreamin'
12-16-2002, 12:43 PM
I just cracked my head on the rear view mirror to my truck this weekend.........would hate to see what kind of luck I had around that transom plate..........OUCH! eek!

JetBoatRich
12-16-2002, 02:24 PM
I am doing a favor and posting this for a lurker:
RootBeerDave Saus:
Rich,
Been reading thru the Happy boater thread. This has to be a joke, no one
can be that naive or should I say stupid.
When you get home do a post for me.
Tell Happy boater that Root Beer Float has a ramp in his swimming pool. He
can bring that abortion of a boat up
this weekend to check for leaks. After that we can break out the air tools,
sawzall and whatever else it takes to get bustin on this rehab project. I
will even donate my old Medallion gauges to his restoration efforts. Hell,
I even have an old altimeter out of an F-4 Phantom from Edwards AFB that we
can throw on that bad boy. I think that would look bitchin sitting on the
bow, like a big monster tachometer. It doesn't have a rev limiter but we
can hook up a cable and pulley system attached to the coil wire in case
8,000 RPM and 90 MPH gets a little shaky. He can name the boat "Phantom".
Just trying to help out a fellow boater.
Sincerely
Root Beer Float

SHERMANINATOR
12-22-2002, 11:57 PM
THATS 1 VERY CLEAN AND VERY IMPRESSIVE PIECE OF EQUIPTMENT RIGHT THERE MAN ITS COOL YOU PROBABLY DREAMING OF THE DAY YOU ARE CRUISING WITH ABOUT SIX FINE PIECES OF ASS IN THAT UNIT LET ME TELL YOU YOU GET SIX PEOPLE IN THAT MODULE AND SHE WILL EITHER SINK AT THE DOCK OR JUST GRENADE AT AN IMPRESSIVE TOP SPEED OF 35 MPH.
THE MORON THAT SOLD THAT BUCKET HAS SHIZNIT FER BRAINS AND SUCKERED YOU LIKE NON OTHER.
THE COMBINATION OF THAT HULL AND MOTOR AND DRIVE UNIT WOULD SCHRAPNELL AT 80 MPH.
IF THE TRAILER MADE IT TO THE LAKE FOR THAT MATTER.
IM SORRY MAN BUT THAT MOTOR CAME OVER ON THE MAYFLOWER ITS NOT "FRESH" OR "CLEAN" THAT HOT ROD HAS BEEN SITTING FOR YEARS, DID YOU GET A CHANCE TO HEAR THAT HOT ROD FIRE OR DID HE TELL YOU THE BATTERY WAS DEAD AND NEEDED FRESH GAS BUT ITS A REAL RUNNER SON?
ASSUME THE POSITION OR GO BACK TO THE GUY AND GET THOSE "2 OTHER GUYS" AND GET SOME OF YOUR MONEY BACK.
NEXT TIME FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THE EQUIPTMENT YOU ARE BUYING AND LOOK AROUND BEFORE BUYING THE FIRST THING YOU SEE.
SEEMS TO ME THATS A MONEY TRAP MICKEYMOUSE JOB IN PROGRESS.
I COULD GET MORE ASS IN A 12' ALUM WITH A JOHNSON OUTBOARD PROBABLY CATCH SOME FISH TOO DAMN I LOVE FISH TACOS.

boatnam2
12-23-2002, 07:57 AM
i just hope riverliver dont seee this thread and find out this guys stole is outdrive holder upper!shit will hit the fan.

Jordy
12-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Any updates from the Happy Boater? :D

JetBoatRich
12-23-2002, 05:41 PM
It's finished and now winning races!
Yea Right eek!

Jordy
12-23-2002, 06:35 PM
If he really exists, I doubt we'll ever hear from him again after the tongue lashing he took over his "purchase." frown

SHERMANINATOR
12-23-2002, 10:52 PM
ILL TRAILER MY BOAT BEFORE THAT ROACH EVER ENTERS THE WATER, THEN ILL KICK BACK WITH A COLD ALCHOHOLIC BEVERAGE AND SUPERVISE THE FESTEVITIES.

DUCKY
12-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Let the flaming begin, but I don't see any reason that thing couldn't be made to run, if this fiasco is real. Probably wouldn't do much over 50, but there are a lot of jetboats that don't either! If the guy is for real, yes he got screwed, but I would still help him out. :D

DUCKY
12-27-2002, 08:38 AM
jordanpaulk:
Have we determined if this is a joke or the real deal for sure and certain?
Jordy :D I sent the guy a nice PM offering to help him make it usable. He never responded. I think it's a joke.

SHERMANINATOR
12-27-2002, 04:53 PM
telling the truth or lying we all know it's a JOKE!!!
POOR SON OF A BITCH!
MAN I LOVE SUPER BURRITOS!!

Jrocket
12-27-2002, 05:25 PM
I think its real.....and he got ****ed! idea

HappyBoater
12-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Ha Ha Ha! Laugh at the new boater guy. Well, I still own the boat and I'm not quite sure what to do. I showed some relatives over xmas and they said they are going to either help me sell it or fix it up. Glad to see some of you guys believe me. As for the rest, your just stuck on this internet world and have no lives.
Ducky, I never got a PM from you so I don't know what you are talking about.
:)

HBjet
02-18-2004, 11:29 PM
You gotta admit RD, I had you going from the get go, and that was enough for me! You like the little, I don't know how to post any photo's bit?
HBjet:D