PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem

Wicked1
03-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Last weekend I towed the boat 2 hrs to lake Perris only to find out that it wasnt gonna see no time in the water. That SUCKED!!! Well my problem is that when I cranked it over the starter just GRINDS and doesnt engauge... I was gonna try shiming it, I thought I would ask to see if anyone had a different ideas as to how to fix my lil problem?

77charger
03-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Wicked1:
Last weekend I towed the boat 2 hrs to lake Perris only to find out that it wasnt gonna see no time in the water. That SUCKED!!! Well my problem is that when I cranked it over the starter just GRINDS and doesnt engauge... I was gonna try shiming it, I thought I would ask to see if anyone had a different ideas as to how to fix my lil problem? if your boat has been sitting for a while or the starter can get exposed to alot of moisture rust might be keeping it from fully engaging.take it off and make sure that there is not alot of rust build up and to make sure the gear fullly engages.
If you do replace it get one from an auto parts store with the lifetime warranty i have replaced mine twice in 8 years free of charge on my old jet boat.

JetBoatRich
03-12-2003, 08:12 PM
I agree take it and try to jump the starter
[ March 12, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Jordy
03-12-2003, 08:20 PM
JetBoatRich:
Get a new boat :confused: Gee, that helps.
I'm going through the same thing right now with mine. First thing I'd do is check the obvious, pull the starter and see what the bendix looks like. Run some jumper cables or a charger too it an energize it and see if the bendix fully engages. What do the teeth look like on the bendix? If all that seems normal, I'd pull the plugs out of the motor and turn it over by hand keeping an eye on the ring gear or flywheel to see what the teeth look like. Also watch and see if anything (read water) comes out of the cylinders creating a hydrolock situation.

Wicked1
03-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks 77charger and Jordanpaulk I am gonna pull the starter and try what you guys suggested. Thanks for the help..

JetBoatRich
03-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Come on JP, got to have fun. I hate problems, we have all had some one time or another.
I did say to take it out and try to jump the starter :p wink
[ March 12, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Eric455
03-12-2003, 08:32 PM
JetBoatRich:
Get a new boat :confused:
Got have a little fun, almost as bad as getting to the lake with no keys
I agree take it and try manually its okay i deserve it Rich. after all i did forget the keys to the boat. hey at least it was a 45 min trip & not a 2 hour trip.
eric argue 455 loll

JetBoatRich
03-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Good point Eric, was that you wink :D

Eric455
03-12-2003, 08:33 PM
by the way rich are you still going to the trainging? if so one of my supervisors is attending the traing class rightn ow.
eric

Jordy
03-12-2003, 08:37 PM
JetBoatRich:
Come on JP, got to have fun. There's enough stupid threads going on for that. A guy asks a serious question and gets a reply of "get a new boat"? How is that fun? Oh, you mean posting three or four words in every thread is fun? My bad. You know, I do seem to recall you posting in the tech threads looking for answers. Get a new boat.

JetBoatRich
03-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Never mind JP, I replied at the bottom of the post what I felt would help. You want to take it another direction.

dcb 26 machman
03-12-2003, 10:45 PM
There's enough stupid threads going on for that. A guy asks a serious question and gets a reply of "get a new boat"? How is that fun? Oh, you mean posting three or four words in every thread is fun? My bad. You know, I do seem to recall you posting in the tech threads looking for answers.
Do you always whine like this????

DickDanger
03-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Well Wicked, look on the bright side...at least this time you didnt suck up any sticks and get booted off of Pyramid!!!! Yep, dont try shimming it until you KNOW FOR SURE that that is the cure. Pull the starter first, and go from there. -DD Out
[ March 12, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

Hallett19
03-12-2003, 11:20 PM
dcb 26 machman:
There's enough stupid threads going on for that. A guy asks a serious question and gets a reply of "get a new boat"? How is that fun? Oh, you mean posting three or four words in every thread is fun? My bad. You know, I do seem to recall you posting in the tech threads looking for answers.
Do you always whine like this???? Why the hell are you still posting here dude ?
In my opinion, you should cut your losses and leave the boards, go somewhere else and bother them. You obviously don't know sarcasm when you see it, and your response sure as hell didnt help resolve the situation. Don't worry about other people or what they say, be a big boy, look out for you own and stop being such a damn baby. grrrrrrr....... :mad: "I will stike down upon thee with great vengance and FURIOUS anger....."

JetBoatRich
03-13-2003, 04:47 AM
Eric I will be out there all day today and tomorrow :mad: who is your superviosr?
--------------------------------------------
Really you don't need to whine, I can careless if you stop posting or not. Personal attacks on someone, that is not cool.

Jordy
03-13-2003, 05:27 AM
dcb 26 machman:
Do you always whine like this???? What the **** is your problem? You obviously have nothing constructive to add to the boards so why are you here? :confused:

Mandelon
03-13-2003, 05:39 AM
The King must have been having a bad day....with his new job and all.. :D
Here is a lesson for everyone......Start your boat at home before you go to the ramp. Stick a hose in to keep wet what needs to be wet, (Jet, OB or Stern Drive.
And make sure it fires up before you leave.....keeps you from looking like a dumbass on the launch ramp. :p
Not perfect here. As a boater these things I've done:
1. forgot the keys,
2. lost the keys,
3. forgot the detachable face stereo,
4. Dead Battery
5. Steering cable/rack and pinion broke
6. Turned starter too soon and jammed the gears of the starter and flywheel
7. Rubber fitting around bendix disintegrated.
Its pretty normal, but taking a couple of minutes in the driveway can make it run (pun) much smoother......... :cool:
Lastly, isn't the starter supposed to be marine grade and not an automotive type starter......??? :confused:

Jordy
03-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Mandelon:
The King must have been having a bad day....with his new job and all.. :D Not at all. I'm actually having fun. It's just guys that come out of the woodwork and every post, other than the one's that are blowing sunshine up other DCB owners asses, has been negative. Why waste your time if all you're going to do is go somewhere and post negative shit and try and cause problems?
[ March 13, 2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

Blown 472
03-13-2003, 06:23 AM
Good point, how is the new jobbie job going?? what are you doing??

JetBoatRich
03-13-2003, 07:43 AM
JP you sure have a lot fun don't you wink we have talked before and I know you are messing around:D as long as nobody else jumps in, it is all good clean fun.
How is the new job coming along?
[ March 13, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Wicked1
03-15-2003, 04:14 PM
I agree with you Jordanpaulk, I have yet to fix the problem cause of the rain. Thanx JP.. DickDanger how you been? Im still working on the stick repellent!!

Jungle Boy
03-16-2003, 05:21 AM
I have bought so many GM Mini-Starters for my boats that I've lost count of them all. What I do now is every time I'm planning to head boating is I turn the boat over in the garage just to see if it is going to ingauge. I also spray the starter with lots of WD-40 before and after the boat ride. I don't know if this helps or not, but I do seem to get more life from starters now. It is supposed to draw moisture out. I also don't leave a bunch of water in the bilge with the tarp on. This just adds to the moisture in the boat and it's got to be hard on the electrical stuff. :cool:

Wicked1
03-18-2003, 09:22 PM
I took the starter off cleaned it up and took it to kragen to get tested, it checked out okay and so i slapped it back on and same sh*t it sounded like it just spins without turning the motor over, it didnt grind with anything it just spun... the gears looked fine on the starter, so now i am stumped?

Jordy
03-18-2003, 09:31 PM
What did the ring gear look like? Can you have a buddy crank it over while you stand back and see what's happening? The only reason I ask is I'm going through the same deal and have narrowed it down to my starter. Did you pull the plugs out and see if it will crank over normally with no compression to fight? Is it a gear reduction starter or a regular full size one? Sorry if you said that before and I missed it, but I'm too lazy to scroll back up.
My starter did the same thing and I pulled it off, checked everything and it looked fine. Put it back on, but with no plugs and the valves backed off, it cranked over just like it should. I left it at that. A couple weeks ago when it was warm, I went out and cranked it over, still with no compression, and it was fine. Rolled it over by hand, set the valves, put plugs in it and got it ready to fire up and it started making that grinding noise. The valve covers were off and the rockers were moving, so it was turning over. I pulled the plugs and it was fine again. Pulled the starter off and figure it's either the bendix or the little needle bearings in the nose cone. They're fine with little load (no compression) but when they are working against the full compression of my motor it's loading it up and making that noise.
Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it gets you headed in the right direction.

Wicked1
03-18-2003, 09:41 PM
The ring gear looked fine I compared it to the a new while I was at kragen and it looked identical to the new one, I havent taken the plugs and tried that yet, It is a regular full size starter. I am gonna pull the plugs and try that tomarrow and see what that does, right before I had the problem it would grind then it would catch and turn on, so I am thinking maybe the bendix, like you said I have the same problem...

Wicked1
03-18-2003, 10:24 PM
I shot ya 5 Jordanpaulk thanks for the help
[ March 18, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Wicked1 ]

Hustler
03-18-2003, 11:12 PM
All these starter problems sound oh so familiar!! I went through starter after starter with the same problems Jordy and Wicked1 are going through untill I put the new Hi Torque starter on, and walla no more problems, Wicked1, if you are in socal call Jim Brock at Cyclone Marine and pick up one of the Hi Torque starters he sells, they come with a (I think) a 5 year warrenty and are about 180 bucks. I love mine, I kick myself for spending the money and buying one sooner. Good Luck
[ March 18, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Hustler ]

Jordy
03-19-2003, 06:27 AM
I have the little GM gear reduction high torque lightweight jobber on mine right now. I think it's just the years of use and exposure to moisture that have it all messed up. Oh well, it's still cold here so I'm not going to worry about it for another couple weeks. :D

Blown 472
03-19-2003, 06:45 AM
Do some of you have bottom mount starters?? mine is up on top although for some reason I have to have it rebuilt every year. frown

Hustler
03-19-2003, 06:41 PM
jordanpaulk:
I have the little GM gear reduction high torque lightweight jobber on mine right now. I think it's just the years of use and exposure to moisture that have it all messed up. Oh well, it's still cold here so I'm not going to worry about it for another couple weeks. :D Jordy the guy that built my current starter is in Parker, He makes a great product and its nice to know if it breaks he will close by :D

Jordy
03-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Hustler:
Jordy the guy that built my current starter is in Parker, He makes a great product and its nice to know if it breaks he will close by :D Good point. I think I'll give him a call when I get ready to tinker on this thing again. Thanks Joe. Hope you see you and the Mrs. soon. :D

Hustler
03-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Here's his info Jordy, Thank SuperDave for it, I had to get it from him. (Thanks Dave :D )
RB Starters in Parker.
Ron Cook 928 669 6411
Tell him Dave sent ya !!!

Jordy
03-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks SD and Joe. :D