PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbutt makes the papers!!!!

Sea Esta
08-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Saw this in the paper and I thought I would share with others.
Here, there, and everywhere in-between
Lake area man's 1972 speed boat has made its mark on Lake of the Ozarks, but not without making a little bit of noise
By Libby Page
Lake Sun
Thunderbutt, a California day cruiser, has raced in the Pacific Ocean, cruised the Potomac River, and taken owners Jim and Robbie Slevin many places in-between. After more than thirty years, the boat is still in use on Lake of the Ozarks.
Thunderbutt, a 1972 20-foot Spectra with a V-drive, can reach 87 miles per hour and is ideal for pulling skiers. The boat's unusual name comes from the noise it makes while running.
"How we named the boat was that after we built it, we started it, and it was so awfully noisy that everything started falling off the wall in my garage," Jim said. "One of the guys standing nearby said that we should name the boat Thunder."
Thunderbutt proved to be well named when even the water patrol noticed the noise.
"We were pulled over our first day on the lake," Robbie said. "The water police don't like us very much."
She says the noise isn't much of a problem, however, because they take the boat out in the morning or on weekdays when there isn't much traffic.
The Slevins were originally from Missouri, but lived in California for 40 years. They built Thunderbutt while in California and plied on several of the lakes there including Lake Mead and Lake Beryessa in Northern California. They also took the boat to Parker, Ariz., to ride on the Colorado River.
"In the Colorado River it's all sand bottom, and the water's just as clear as can be," Robbie said. "Our boat was small enough to take there."
When the Slevins moved to Virginia, they took Thunderbutt there also.
"You could go on the Potomac River all the way to the Watergate Hotel," Robbie said. "It was really beautiful."
Thunderbutt was built primarily as a ski boat, but the Slevins have ski raced it in various California competitions. Ski racing involves pulling a skier behind the boat during the race.
They enjoyed racing the boat even though the boat's 87 mph top speed made it a long shot in most open races where many boats can travel over 100 miles per hour.
One of the biggest races the boat has competed in was the Catalina race which runs from Long Beach Harbor to Catalina Island in California.
"A boat this size could win that race even against the larger boats because it goes over the huge ocean swells better," Jim said. "It all depends on the person skiing behind you, though."
Though the Slevins no longer race the boat, they still go water skiing with it often. The boat has allowed them to pass their love of skiing on to their children and grandchildren.
"The grandkids just love it," Robbie said. "It really keeps your family together. They could care less about going anywhere else because they always wanted to be with us." The Slevins children and grandchildren all learned to ski at about six or seven years old, and they come back every year to visit and water ski.
"We've taught hundreds of people to ski," Robbie said. She said friends and people from the neighborhood would always come to ride the boat.
Thunderbutt has achieved fame beyond giving rides to hundreds of people. It has been featured in Hot Boat magazine and on several web sites.
The Slevins are happy about the attention it receives, and Jim enjoys working on the boat to keep it in top condition.
"I usually take it apart in the winter time, add different parts, and take things away," Jim said. "It's my hobby."
The Slevins have had their boat on Lake of the Ozarks since 1995. When they moved back to Missouri, they knew they wanted to live at the lake because boating was important to them.
"Our boat is kind of small for this lake, but we love the area" Jim said. They say they still use Thunderbutt despite its size because it is safe and is excellent as a ski boat.
"We've never had anyone seriously hurt while riding this boat," Robbie said. "The design is so safe that boats like it were used by the California Coast Guard in the 70's."
After many years of traveling over all types of water, Thunderbutt is still in good condition, and the Slevins don't plan to replace it any time soon.
"This boat has kept our family close, and that's what's really important," Robbie said.
Copyright The Lake Sun Leader. All rights reserved.

Thunderbutt
08-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Sea Esta, There was one quoit in the artical that isn't true. I am going to sell Thunderbutt to make room for a Deckboat, also selling a tri-log pontoon boat. If you know anyone that might be interested have them come over.

Sea Esta
08-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Will do.....I'll start asking around. Sure you want to get a deckboat over the tri-toon? My experience has been the tri-toon rides better than our deckboat up in the rougher waters. Maybe a Playcraft 2700 with twin 300's is instore....lol. :D

Thunderbutt
08-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Sea Esta. I'm looking at a Cat type deckboat (Warlock) should handel the water OK. I priced the Playcraft with a I O 496 mag and it was 56,000. I want to stay with a glass boat. I still have all of that beer iced up.