PDA

View Full Version : 100 MPH water skier

Thunderbutt
07-27-2002, 05:47 AM
Two years ago I talked to one of the orginizers of the Lake of the Ozarks shootout (Osage beach fire dept) about pulling a water skier. I thought it would spice up the event a little, especially if they're going 100 MPH or more, as kilo racing is a little boring until the big guns run. They said yes, bring them on. I'm still trying to get one of the speed-ski teams from California to particpate. I talked to ***boat and Powerboat magazine; got no help. ***boat was here last year and Powerboat is going to be here this year. You would think they would help to promote this. Guess I'll try agin for next year

superV
07-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Sounds Cool! Great idea now you just need someone with BALLZ big anuff to fit in a dump truck. HEHEHEHE

h2ospdskir
07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
the problem with this is that you have to tow a great distance or get towed by some clown who thinks it,s aboat race

burbanite
07-29-2002, 09:22 PM
How about these two?
Scott Pellaton and Mike Temby behind the Bad Medicine BAH at Firebird - now that'll make your eyes water....
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/scootbarefootspeed.JPG

Thunderbutt
07-30-2002, 05:20 AM
superV:
Sounds Cool! Great idea now you just need someone with BALLZ big anuff to fit in a dump truck. HEHEHEHESuperV, It's not ballz, it's skill and the right equipment. In the 1970's they had to lengthen the tow ropes too 200 feet because they were going so fast the Skiers were going througt the exhaust of the boat and passing out. Now they ware wet suites that fit tight around the legs so water can't enter incase they fall, which they seldom do, they ware helmets. Because they have the rope handels behind there back they have quick release snaps. The drag skiers even have parachutes to slow them down when they release.
The endro races (25,50 & 75 mile)are hard to watch because of the distance involved, but the circle races are like watching a car race. 1/2 or 1 mile course. Except for the Catalina race the boats are 18 to 22 feet, most of them are v- drive with very high horse power motors.

grimreaper
08-23-2002, 06:57 PM
ain't the record about 130 or so?
HELL ..... in a slalom-ski rad-cut-back you can reach almost a HUN !!

Thunderbutt
08-24-2002, 03:51 PM
grimreaper:
ain't the record about 130 or so?
HELL ..... in a slalom-ski rad-cut-back you can reach almost a HUN !!reaper, I'm not sure what the record is on a ski it is well over 100, behind a drag boat. they barefoot over 100. Danny Chrchell (not spelled right)barefooted over a 100 in the 80's. It almost killed him but he did it. Like I said before if you don't have a boat that will go over 100 mph you better forget about ski racing.

h2ospdskir
08-25-2002, 08:46 PM
what are the dates next year?i'll be happy to do it nice drive after catalina

TheDingy
08-26-2002, 06:49 PM
I had a guy ride behind me this last weekend on a tube at ~80MPG.... I have pictures that I will post later..This guy had some balls! eek!

burning cole
08-26-2002, 08:48 PM
I will ski fi someone hhas the balz to pull me!!

Thunderbutt
08-27-2002, 04:01 PM
h2ospdskir:
what are the dates next year?i'll be happy to do it nice drive after catalinah2o, I take it you are a speed skier. the dates are the same as this year, Aug 24 & 25. How was the Catalina race for you? The last time I was in that race was in 1980 (driver not skier) and the time was like 1 hour and 15 min, now I see that it is less then an hour. I think what the people here would like to see is someone going down the race coarse at 80 to 100. MPH. Sking is a lost art now with the wake boards. I've been on this lake for 6- years and you seldom see a skier.

Spirit of Discovery
08-29-2002, 12:08 PM
We're going back in time a ways here, Danny Churchill's record was broken in 1978 or 1979 by a guy from Australia who bumped the record from 124.74 to 135.?? I was pulled by Dennis McCarty in the Arrapaho Blown Alcohol Hydro in 1978 to 124.14 at the Endo's International Speed Ski and Barefoot Championships. I quit trying for the record when the Aussie boosted the record to 135. I think the record has been boosted again to just over 140 (in the early '80's) but like I say, I'm working on a very old and rusty memory!! I think anyone who would try to set a new world water ski speed record is slightly insane. I think it would be a death wish!! I spent a lot of years trying to set the record. The ski has got to have the perfect bottom configuration to get that kind of speed and the only man who I would trust to make that kind of ski is dead. Who knows, though, new technology could make things better today. If anyone is willing to try, best of luck and let me know!! I'd love to be there!!