PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas River Trip

Posey
07-09-2003, 05:18 AM
Seadog is wanting to make a trip down the McClellan-Kerr Navigation Channel (Arkansas river)on August 1,2,3. I'm going to try and make it, how about you? Its a lot of fun, the more the better. :D :D

pgf127rt
07-12-2003, 04:07 AM
Posey:
Seadog is wanting to make a trip down the McClellan-Kerr Navigation Channel (Arkansas river)on August 1,2,3. I'm going to try and make it, how about you? Its a lot of fun, the more the better. :D :D Posey, I have been dreaming about making this trip with y'all since the topic was first started, my boat is ready to go, but my work load is to the point that it is looking iffy.
I am a concrete contractor and we have been workinf 12 hours a day since early summer and there is no end in sight, since our business is highly competetive we have to get it while it is here or lose it so the decision is to work now and play later, which sucks.

Seadog
07-12-2003, 05:03 AM
pgf127rt, hope you can make it. If not we will have you in our thoughts.

OLDRAT
07-23-2003, 09:50 AM
All I can say is do it! We have been down to Ft. Smith once and to Little Rock once in my 23' Webbcraft, and have been to New Orleans by cruiser. The locks are awesome. If you have a VHF radio, you can call ahead (CH 16) to the lock master and determine status and wait times. Some barges will not let you lock thru with them due to certain cargo. Also, sailbotes have priority over powerboats, but not many of them on the channel.
Fuel stops are available at Lake Kerr, Ft. Smith, etc...etc. Recommend taking an extra fuel filter/separator, just in case. If possible, get you a "corpses of engineers" naviation map set, it is somewhat accurate on channels, depths, markers, mileage, etc. It saved my lab-finished prop on several occasions and assisted in calculating fuel mileage. As a note, it took me 176 gallons from start to Ft. Smith and back.
Oldrat
wasted days and wasted nights

Posey
07-24-2003, 05:56 AM
I really hate to say it but it looks like I'm going to have to back out on the August river trip. To much shit going down, I'm thinking a fall trip might be better for me.
You guys have a good time and think about me....ya right!! :D

Seadog
07-24-2003, 07:11 AM
It is beginning to look like a small trip. MY BIL burned up the drive on his cruiser so its out. He is going to ride with me, and my other BIL is meeting us at Kerr. Sorry you can't make it Posey.

Posey
07-24-2003, 08:17 AM
It might be a small trip but I know you will enjoy it. I remember my first trip we called it "The Big Adventure" we had a hell of a time :D Just remember to stay between the bouys and you won't have any problems, except the lakes and then its no problem going outside the marked area. The folks at Applegate were super! really helped us with gear and such. I can't say much for the hospitality at Russelville State park, they were kinda assholes yuk I wanted to try Dardanelle State park the next time, which is across the lake. Did you check out www.swt.usace.army.mil/navigation/navcharts.htm (http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/navigation/navcharts.htm)
I downloaded each map and put them in waterproof sheet protectors and made me a notebook for reference. I always knew what was ahead of me. Let me know how it went and have a safe trip wink

Seadog
07-24-2003, 10:17 AM
I have the book and have checked for updates on the net. They now have the Oklahoma side on color depth charts, but they don't go outside the channel.

Boozer
07-24-2003, 02:02 PM
How long of a drive is this from Denver? Were exactly is the starting point. This sounds like something that would definitely be a lot of fun.

Seadog
07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Rogers Point is just east of Tulsa on Rt 66. It would be about 12 hours from Denver depending on factors.I-70 to Salina, south on I-135 to Wichita, I-35 to Hwy 412 (Cimmarron Turnpike), east to Tulsa. I can do Grand JUnction to Stillwater in most cases under 15 hours. Tulsa is an hour further east.

Posey
07-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Hey Boozer,
That would be a pretty good trip for you, but if you've never made a trip like that it would be a good experience. Its kinda neat going from lake to lake down the river. Those locks will drop or raise you (which ever direction your going) 50ft. give or take just depends. You can go from Catoosa, OK to the Mississippi river if you want to. I guess there is all kinds of navagation channels all over the U.S. You just have to scout them out. :D

Seadog
07-31-2003, 09:40 AM
I cannot make the Friday leg from Catoosa to Kerr. I am still trying to get to Kerr for the rest of the trip but as of now, I don't even know when I am getting my boat back. Been one of them summers.

Posey
07-31-2003, 04:58 PM
where's your boat?

Seadog
08-05-2003, 05:12 AM
My boat was in the shop. There was a problem with the tach and the shift switch. I could live without the tach, but the ten minute adjustment to the switch took 6 hours.
However, the boating gods were not with me. For one reason or the other, my entire crew had last minute emergencies that cause them to cancel out and my motor home broke down. I spent the entire vacation working on my MH. I did get out on Grand Sunday and promptly hit a rock with my prop.
It could be worse. My BIL that was part of my crew spent the weekend on codeine after a rush trip to the dentist. Been there and am glad it is not me. We are hoping to try again this fall, but it will be a wait and see.